« on: January 22, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »
I picked this up from my buddy for $300 as my M-Audio Omni Studio decided to lose the left channel output after having it for awhile. So I figured, let's install the latest drivers. Talk about having problems! Sheesh! I finally got a solution that worked and allowed the CueMix console and SMPTE Console to load with latest drivers.
Backstory - Apparently the MS FW drivers worked ok in XP SP1, but were broken in SP2 and still in SP3 release....I found an older driver that worked but had a lot less functionality available. So I found a thread recently at the motunation forum about a free FW driver for XP and Vista 32 bit. I snagged it and after cleaning out old M-Audio stuff from registry the newer driver (MOTU) still wouldn't load up the CueMix Console (device on an bus at unsupported speed or something to that effect).
So I removed the MOTU software, deleted the m*asio.drv file from system32 directory (the uninstall does NOT remove this file and is NOT backwards compatible per the forum too....bad uninstaller, bad MOTU coders...). I then rebooted, installed this AVT FW driver (kudos for the app that comes with it, it allows you to select to install it and go in place of the MS FW driver and can use to change back to MS if you want to (nice coding!)), rebooted, system came up ok. I then installed the latest MOTU drivers sans 828Mk II turned off/unplugged. I rebooted again, plugged unit in after login, turned it on and finished device discovery. All looked fine (as before btw). I rebooted again for good measure and loaded up CueMix Console - HUZZAH/VIOLA! It worked! I loaded the SMPTE Console and it came up as well! I was VERY VERY happy that it is working now. You do not know the headache I've been working through trying to get it to work with the latest drivers. Guy at the forum said "reset your system, it doesn't like overclocking" which turned out to be crap, i.e. made ZERO difference on trying to install latest drivers (at that time) and I said so in forum. No response. Also was told MOTU works best with a FW card with the TI chipset (mine is a Dynex 400x1/800x2 card w/Lucent/Agere chipset). And try and reach tech support via phone - NO LUCK AT ALL (and local to me in massachusetts....).
So bottom line is with that AVT FW driver the MOTU behaves much better, i.e. I can run CueMix (Mixer) now in XP Pro SP3.
I also put (at the time) the latest driver from MOTU for my Vista Ultimate 64 install and it went a LOT better compared to XP. It was pretty much smooth install. I haven't updated it to the latest driver. Mainly it is for Win7 support. Anyways, I will update Vista at some point. For now XP is working as I hoped it would so I can stick running it w/Live vs booting to Vista. I should work in Vista more though.