MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Now Playing

Currently listening, part 1

(1/876) > >>

mgriffin:
I'm sure we all remember the very popular and never-ending posts about what people are currently listening to.

I find those posts a great way to learn about new things that I might enjoy... though I find them less useful when someone just posts the artist & title, without any kind of comment or description.   I mean, if you write even a 10-word description, it helps me determine whether it's interesting or not. 

On the other hand, I'm not going to ban anybody or delete any posts if you just post:

"Radiohead - OK Computer"

So, here's a headstart on the new "Currently Listening" thread.  Thanks to new moderator APK for the idea of keeping these separate from the "Everything and Nothing" section, since they really ARE about music and should be in the "Music, Specifically" part of the Forum.

mgriffin:
As for me, I'm listening to:

Various Artists - Sounds of a Universe Overheard

If I hadn't been buried under a mountain of hellish website troubleshooting the past 48+ hours, I would have announced on here that the CDs are done, and I've checked them out for quality and they're fine... so they'll be up on the Hypnos store very very soon.

For those of you who don't know, this is a great new compilation on the Hypnos label.

Track listing:
Jonathan Block "The Language of Rocks"
M. Peck "Somna"
Freq. Magnet "Nitrous"
Kirk Watson "Scarecrow"
dreamSTATE "Ghost Nebula"
Seren Ffordd " Strange Attractor"
Dwight Ashley " Behold the Trampled Wheat"
Justin Vanderberg "Infection"
Igneous Flame "Pandora"
Tau Ceti "Float"

Antdude:
Looking forward to this one a lot. Damn, if only there was more money and time in my day.

Edit: False Mirror's new album, North arrived in the mail today. Dark and churning ambient mixed with incredible field recordings. You can almost see the glaciers....

kawera:
Lately, these discs have been spinning:

Steve Roach - Magnificent Void -- I had forgotten just how good this really is. I'm looking forward to getting the latest one (Arc of Passion) from Roach. The audio previews sound good!

Vir Unis - Mercury & Plastic -- This really is the most sublime release from Vir Unis. I love the blend of atmospheric pads and clicky electronic percussion.

MarkJohnson:
For me it's...

- Vidna Obmana: An Opera for Four Fusions Works (Act 3, Reflection on Scale). All four volumes have their merits, but I love the intentional static on this disc; I miss the pops and scratches of vinyl, and this, in addition to being interesting, sparse, well-constructed music, sounds oddly nostalgic as well.

- Mathias Grassow: Himalaya
- Mathias Grassow: Morpheus. I love Mathias's music and I never tire of it. Some might say it's one note droning on forever, but there are layers of music here and I feel after years of listening to these releases that there is so much yet to hear in them.

- Saul Stokes: Fields. This is the only release from Saul that I'm familiar with, though I've been told to check out others. Ambient? IDM? Something like that.

- Sigur Ros: Hvarf-Heim. 'New' release from Sigur Ros, half studio, half live performances. The studio tracks are apparently rerecordings of older tracks and the live tracks are acoustic performances which rival their studio counterparts. It might be old stuff, but it's new all over again. If you like them and haven't heard this album, don't write it off as a rehashing.

- Radiohead: In Rainbows. Better than 'Hail to the Thief', more song-oriented than 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac', I think this is a great record.

- Bill Laswell: Dub Chamber 3. Like the title says, it's dub. Bill Laswell rarely does wrong as far as I'm concerned. This is a mellow dub album.

- Trentemøller: The Last Resort. Electronic music, sometimes driving beats, but well-conceived and composed. Sample the tracks on iTunes if you can - I think this is one of the best electronic music albums ever. Really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version