Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 3478045 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #940 on: October 31, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »
I've moved on:

Mum: Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today is OK

This is a long-time favourite, and so astoundingly delicate in places.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #941 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »
Going back to my youth:

Alan Parsons Project, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination".  Pretty cheesy in parts, but really brings back the memories...  Now I gotta dig out "I, Robot".

I was always partial to "The Turn of a Friendly Card" myself. Which reminds me I need to buy it on CD. Thanks for reminding me of the band.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »
v/a—Exercises in Obscurism
Nice Second Sun compilation, though it's a bit uneven.  Some great ambient tracks mixed with a few noisier ones that don't always gel.  I no longer buy CDRs, but I've been making exceptions for the Second Sun/Milieu releases, because I always enjoy them.

Very interesting...the both of us felt the same way about both comps.  Besides the Adam Pacione, Seht, Eluder, and VCV tracks I was left dumbfounded as to the amount of noise on the comp.  It seemed that it should of been a compilation for the "Install" label not Second Sun.  And I have a feeling that the both of feel the same way about the latest Michael Mantra "Mobius Logic". WTF?

Today:
Alistair Crosbie –  Sad Faces Of The Moon – Peasant Magick
(This release has grown on me with some intensity….perhaps a candidate for the best of 2008?  Magnificent drones on the dark brooding tip with subtle steel melodic overtones.  It seems that Peasant Magick has been on a roll this year with Gareth Hardwick, Wereju, Rale, and Xiphidaee releases.  Alistair’s release is something on an entirely different level…not to be missed)

Emaciator – Reluctant – Jugular Forest
(It is a sustained monistic drone that slowly unfolds all of it’s inner mechanisms.  You have to be patient with this release but I discovered that with each listen you cull out different details and textures.  The b-side is much lighter and perhaps my favorite of the two sides due to the air like quality of the drones.  Kind of like...look at the sky and observe the clouds pass…type drone)

Sleep Robot – Panicgrass & Feverfew – Dynamophone [Parcel Series]
(Super cool jewel box ambient tunes!  If you like Hammock or Hakobune this release should be in your CD player.  Undershadow featured it on his last axescapes mix and while you’re at it you should explore the other artists that have contributed to the parcel series.  For example if you like SOTL you should definitely check out The Lullaby League or if you like Pub they have stuff from an artist called Curium that I really dig.  Get them quick because they are limited….check here for samples www.n5md.com visit the shop.)

What’s Next:

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma – The Phantom Harp – Root Strata
(Something to do with an autoharp on a warm summer day.   All I know is that it is essential for all Jefre Cantu-Ledesma aficionados….it’s now out of print but if you ever happen to come across one for sale purchase at all costs)

Undershadow

« Reply #943 on: October 31, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

Sleep Robot – Panicgrass & Feverfew – Dynamophone [Parcel Series]
(Super cool jewel box ambient tunes!  If you like Hammock or Hakobune this release should be in your CD player.  Undershadow featured it on his last axescapes mix and while you’re at it you should explore the other artists that have contributed to the parcel series.  For example if you like SOTL you should definitely check out The Lullaby League [...]

The man Fern’s right. This little release is lovely guitar-drawn tableaux that's floaty and drifty with just the right amount of ambiguous edge to counteract excess fluffiness.

And The Lullaby League is indeed a shoe-in for lovers of the new SotL-alike soft ambient droners.

A propos, have been listening to Apalusa’s Obadiah, and blow me down, what a creeped out trawl through undercurrents in dark water that is. Had expected more of the same (i.e. the SotL-alike stuff), but this is much more deep down and dirtily exploratory, without insisting too much on grinding your face down in the abyss (cf. Justin Broadrick’s Final). Reviews comparing this to SotL can only have been thinking of their earlier unrulier Ballasted Orchestra incarnation (e.g. “Taphead”). Will be posting a review elsewhere shortly, but definitely one for the more adventurous of ambientguitardrone-ophiles.

While in this area, there’s also Wereju to consider, who’s been ghosting greyly around my player too - another who likes to trail his strung out strings through a mix of muck and mist to keep us interested. Furthernoise on this gent soon.

And I still can’t get enough o’ that Orsi stuff, as Wild Light of the Moon makes its way onto my player yet again for 35 minutes of iridescent engripment (dunno if it’s a word, but there you go, I coined it, so slap me with your Websters)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:19:41 PM by Undershadow »

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #944 on: November 01, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »
And I have a feeling that the both of feel the same way about the latest Michael Mantra "Mobius Logic". WTF?

I really like Boolean Languages, and I heard clips that would suggest this one is similar (maybe too similar) ... I haven't gotten it yet.  What are your thoughts?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #945 on: November 01, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »

- Arvo Pärt: Spiegel Im Spiegel

www.dataobscura.com

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
I really like Boolean Languages, and I heard clips that would suggest this one is similar (maybe too similar) ... I haven't gotten it yet.  What are your thoughts?

The similarities are there all right....while listening to it the first time I could not help to think "Where have I heard this before?"  I got the impression that Mobius Logic was meant to elongate on the same ideas found on Boolean Languages.  This is not a bad thing altogether only that I had different hopes that were not fulfilled.  I wanted an album that would continue to build on the ideas of Cerulean Transmission which happens to be one of my favorites.  Come to think of it Mobius Logic and Boolean Languages should have come as a 2CD pack instead of being sold individually.  Perhaps Silentes broke them up and decided to release them as two separate albums.  Who knows just a hunch?

Fern

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 02, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
KETTEL MYAM JAMES PART1 ;)
I am listening the music, remember a lot of things. good memory for me.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 03, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
Move D. and Benjamin Brunn - Songs From the Beehive
this is fantastic!!!  like a techno album turned inside out.  slow developing ambient grooves that are perfect for a sunny day.  I really think some people here would enjoy this one.

Eluder - The Most Beautiful Blue
looking forward to giving this a late night listen.  thanks jason!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:04 PM »
Ville Moskiitto - Thousands Fall Every Day (quirky electronics, sparse acoustics and loops; from Finland; comes in a handsewn cloth bag)

ThrouRoof - Infinity Less Moontales (spacey processed/bowed guitar with a slight psychedelic feel and occasional keyboards; from Italy)

Forrest
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:23:47 PM by ffcal »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #950 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:34 PM »
this is fantastic!!!  like a techno album turned inside out.  slow developing ambient grooves that are perfect for a sunny day.  I really think some people here would enjoy this one.

That person is me! I just got a Move D album recently and love it. Where did you find Songs From the Beehive?

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 04, 2008, 06:59:52 AM »
Now playing:

Aloof Proof - Piano Text

One of the great, long-lost ambient classics I had never been fortunate enough to hear, until today. 

Just plain beautiful, simple, and inspiring.  Definitely looking forward to future Aloof Proof reissues... thank you, Infraction!  Not sure why you jumped from INFX024 to INFX030, but this album's worth 6 regular albums, so maybe that's why. 

We do have these for sale in the Hypnos store now too, in case anyone's interested, for $13.99:
http://www.hypnos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=infx030

Love piano classics I try to it.
So now I am listing to wh109 Beyond Absence-Rarified
                            &wh099 The Nature of Light - Shores of Jupiter
And here free download http://www.webbedhandrecords.com/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:28:07 AM by cookie monster »

Undershadow

« Reply #952 on: November 04, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »

That person is me! I just got a Move D album recently and love it. Where did you find Songs From the Beehive?

A very nice album, and one that really deserves to be assigned the label “ambient techno” - one unfortunately already deployed for something less suited to the name 15 years or so ago. This release’s ambient is more ‘Ambient’ while it’s techno is less ‘Techno’ than the early 90s variety. Added to which, it, and their previous, Let’s Call it a Day, show how much better a foil Brunn is for Moufang than Namlook, when you compare the results of their joint venture with the shedload of so-so collabs on FAX that Namlook and Moufang  have been churning out.

I’d suggest a good place to get copy of the album would be Forced Exposurehttp://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/move.d.and.benjamin.brunn.html

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
Just received the Fabio Orsi- Audio For Lovers Cd today, will be spinning it very shortly. I hope it's as good as everyone says!

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 04, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »

I’d suggest a good place to get copy of the album would be Forced Exposurehttp://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/move.d.and.benjamin.brunn.html

Oh yeah I'd support Forced Exposure although you can also get it through Amazon as well.

I listened to that Eluder release last night twice over.  A very immersive album!  I'll be going back for more again tonight.  Right now I'm tuned in to the election results  ;D

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #955 on: November 04, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
I've also been spinning

its certainly ok in places, but I'm not too taken with it.
Sorry Alan, but I'd take some of the Namlook collabs over this effort. The relatively recent Art of Love for example, which is a tad more on the ambient side.

www.dataobscura.com

Undershadow

« Reply #956 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:51 AM »
I've also been spinning

its certainly ok in places, but I'm not too taken with it.
Sorry Alan, but I'd take some of the Namlook collabs over this effort. The relatively recent Art of Love for example, which is a tad more on the ambient side.

That's ok, Anthony. So we have different tastes... no need to apologise for it  ;)
You can have Namlook with your Move D, but I prefer Brunn.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #957 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »
Alan: did you say you like your Move D on a Bunn ?
 ;D
www.dataobscura.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #958 on: November 05, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »
I've never been all that into the Move D/Namlook collaborations, but I really enjoy the Raumland set.  A little bit ambient and a little bit techno.  Perhaps they could have squeezed those three discs into two (tell me another one about Namlook ;) ), but they're pretty enjoyable, especially Raumland Montage.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #959 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
JAMES BROWN!!!! 8)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/