Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 814976 times)

hjalmer

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #980 on: November 10, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »
recent

copal river | ancara
oophoi | bardo...loud
abandoned place | shadow of memory...haunted
procer veneficus | saltwater and glassmoon...wonderful
dark ambient radio vol. 1 | some a little abrasive but some gems too, especially svartsinn
stephen phillips/numina | from within the abyss

Undershadow

« Reply #981 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
The Winterhouse - Lost - excellent recording, worth the price just for the title track.

Very glad to hear it. Thanks, Dave.

A review of Lost has just been posted, but as it's at the end of a rather long installment/update on e/i audioverite, I thought I'd post it here for the less down-scrolling-inclined reader:

Anthony Paul Kerby (APK), familiar to ambient-space adepts from his projects under the banner of The Circular Ruins, Lammergeyer, and Nunc Stans, here renews his file-exchange tryst with Robert Davies, himself with a number of accomplished DataObscura releases under his belt, to follow up their debut, Slow Promises. Davies’ euphonic take on ambient drone theory finds a compatible foil in APK. On such tracks as "The Four Corners of Night", the knowledge base of the latter’s spacemusic and EM schooling are well in evidence in embroidering around the former’s drone-deliveries which become fertile ground-level backdrops to spindles of sinewy synth figures. APK likes to steep his tonal material in a solution of environmental infusions so they end up with a filmy smearage, bringing out a teeming inner life of particulate detail. Lost is, overall, possessed of a brooding beauty and grainy grandeur, its soundings more electronic than Alio Die, less ethereal than Oophoi, less devotional than Mathias Grassow, while sharing something of the sonorous spirit of all of the above. And with this second work, The Winterhouse cement their credentials in sonic articulations of imaginary place, as creators of meditative yet resonant loci of repose and reflection, turning to loss and isolation. Closing piece, "Clearing", shows the pair are capable of surprising mood shifts, as the dominant doleful tenor of the preceding movements is dispelled, clouds lifting in gorgeous elegiac aperture. This data may be Obscura but its muted melancholy and existential poesis feel close to home. ALAN LOCKETT • www.dataobscura.com (from http://www.eiaudioverite.blogspot.com/)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:38:18 AM by Undershadow »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 11, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
If you guys like the sound design ofWinterhouse- Lost, then I think you'd like the Nunc Stans- The Palm At The End Of The Mind disc, especially the 30 minute title track. It's got that similar, distant sound, with the microscopic sound samples scattered throughout -or as Alan would say, "a teeming inner life of particulate detail". Very absorbing stuff.

In fact I'm gonna put it on right now. I have the day off from work, because it's Veteran's Day. :)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #983 on: November 11, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
Hey Joe, you a Vet? 
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
No I'm not, but it's a paid holiday at my workplace. Hell, I'll take all the paid vacation I can get!

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #985 on: November 11, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »
I hear that... I think I'm gonna call it a day.  If my boss calls me, I'll tell him you gave me the afternoon off.

;)
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 11, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
 ;D

Undershadow

« Reply #987 on: November 11, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »

Ben Woods - Nymh: Realms of Detachment

Free download. Very nice if you like, say, Eluvium, and that sort of post-rock-tinged drone-based melodic gear with processed piano and soft-edged glitchery.

http://www.wiseowlrecords.com/releases/view/34

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #988 on: November 11, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Getting a lot of play lately around here...

Black Rock by Djivan Gasparyan and Michael Brook.

This album is a beautiful, haunting musical hybrid, something I feel would appeal to many ambient music listeners who enjoy a bit of "world music" flavor.  Gasparyn's own work is worth exploring as well, particularly I Will Not Be Sad In This World.

I've been on a big Michael Brook kick lately and I'm rediscovering his works with Gasparyan, and wonderful Armenian player of the duduk which is an oboe-like instrument.  Garparyan also appears on Brook's album Rock Paper Scissors.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 11, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
You're right Mark, the new Juana Molina does seem to have very few breaks in it.  Still like it quite a bit.  Reminds me for some reason of Philip Glass' North Star album.

Today, I've been enjoying Tu M's "Is That You?" netrelease EP on Cronica.  A very nice slice of quiet melodic ambience that I think ranks up with their 'Just One Night' album on Dekorder.

Forrest

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #990 on: November 11, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
You're right Mark, the new Juana Molina does seem to have very few breaks in it.  Still like it quite a bit.  Reminds me for some reason of Philip Glass' North Star album.

As a teen I first read about Glass' "North Star" in a Rolling Stone book of reviews from '79. However I never subsequently saw or heard it despite being exposed to many other of his works (and later photographing him after a lecture!) It seems to have slipped off the radar. How do they compare?

NP: Susanna & The Magical Orchestra Melody Mountain in anticipation of her new release on Rune Grammofon.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #991 on: November 11, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »
Getting a lot of play lately around here...

Black Rock by Djivan Gasparyan and Michael Brook.

This album is a beautiful, haunting musical hybrid, something I feel would appeal to many ambient music listeners who enjoy a bit of "world music" flavor.  Gasparyn's own work is worth exploring as well, particularly I Will Not Be Sad In This World.

Black Rock IS lovely...and beautifully produced without extra polish oozing out of the CD player. Michael Brook OTOH seems to have gone all stentorian and film soundtrack-y. I mean, using Richard Burton reading Dylan Thomas? Ack! Oh for the days at the aquarium!

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 12, 2008, 05:35:49 AM »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #993 on: November 12, 2008, 06:10:20 AM »
Good to see someone playing Waki  :D
I had a hand in putting that album together.
Very fine collection of delicate techno-ambient tracks.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #994 on: November 12, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
Genesis - 1970 - 1975 Box set   -   Just got this yesterday so I haven't spent too much time with it yet, but so far I am very happy.  Even tough I am a big Genesis fan I didn't have good quality cd's of everything.  I just never got around to completely replacing my vinyl collection.  I had Foxtrot & Trespass, but Selling England & Nursery Cryme were burned from friends.  So this box set is perfect for me. 

The sound quality is excellent from what I've heard so far.  The kids were out of the house when The Lamb got it's first playing so I cranked it up very loud.  So fun!  Felt like I was back in college.  There's a bunch of DVD extras that I haven't gotten to yet which should be cool to see.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:47:42 PM by Dave Michuda »

Undershadow

« Reply #995 on: November 12, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »

Lawrence English :: Kiri No Oto (Touch)

Title translates as 'sound of mist', and that says a lot about it. English’s assemblages set delicate pointillist tonalities against a rougher fabric of tweaked overtones and evanescent harmonics. Moments of clarity come wrapped up in clouds of confusion... apparent obscurity is shot through with lucid flashes of errant colour and tricky texture. Adds whole new resonances to one of the reviewer's favourite epithets for experimental ambient-electronica, 'foggy'.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 12, 2008, 07:26:59 PM »

As a teen I first read about Glass' "North Star" in a Rolling Stone book of reviews from '79. However I never subsequently saw or heard it despite being exposed to many other of his works (and later photographing him after a lecture!) It seems to have slipped off the radar. How do they compare?

I think what Glass' "North Star" and Molina's "Un Dia" share is their hypnotic use of multitracked vocals.  The vocals almost sound like chants or incantations.  The melody of first track on Un Dia (Dar) is almost a dead ringer for "Ave" off of North Star.  If you like the vocal style of North Star, you'd probably also like Glass' Einstein On The Beach, which is from the same period.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »
Re: Move D

I'm a Move D enthusiast and have to agree the Brunn collab. "Let's call it a day" is excellent (better than Beehive).  The other Move D to get is Live at Johanneskirche, also on the label Let's call it a Day was released on (forget the label, it's German, duh).  Regarding Namlook collaborations, I agree there are too many Move D/Namlook collaborations, especially when you have to pay $28 and up for these DTS/CD double packs, but once a Fax addict, always a Fax addict, money will never get in the way I buy everything!  The Raumland trilogy overall was quite weak, except for "Montage," clearly the jewel in that crown.  Actually these guys have been on a roll with their last 3 discs: "Travelling the Silk Route," "There" (which I really love), and the new "Sexoid". All highly recommended.   

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:30 AM »
Re: Michael Mantra "Mobius Logic"

What a ripoff, it sounds exactly like Boolean Languages.  Even the liner notes were similar. The little "ambient grunts" get annoying fast, too.  AVOID this one.

On the other hand, I picked up recently an amazing Silentes release by Maurizio Bianchi called "The Testamentary Corridor."  For some reason it reminds me of Tau Ceti.  Great outer space droning environments on this disc.  Also on Silentes, the Bianchi/Nimh disc "Secluded Truths" and Nimh "The Unkept Secrets." 

3 great Mystery Sea titles: Moth Electret, Ninth Desert, Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words (thanks to a recent trip to Aquarius Records in San Francisco).

On the way:  Paul Bradley "Chroma". Don't have anything by him yet so it'll be my first, hope it's good. 

The new Alio Die "Tempus Rei"- classic stuff, doing what he does best, nothing groundbreaking but still essential listening.

Konrad Kucz-"Litania" What an amazing album!!! 

Undershadow

« Reply #999 on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
3 great Mystery Sea titles: Moth Electret, Ninth Desert, Dead Letters Spell Out Dead Words (thanks to a recent trip to Aquarius Records in San Francisco).

For those interested in recent Mystery Seas, reviews of 2 of these 3 are posted here -  http://www.ei-mag.com/verite0015.php#01 - though they do seem to have been around quite a while now. In the meantime MS have moved on towards their 50th (actually they’re now on cat.no. MS49 by From The White Chimneys - a project involving Ben F-S, late of this parish)

On the way:  Paul Bradley "Chroma". Don't have anything by him yet so it'll be my first, hope it's good. 

Paul is a favourite of mine, though I’m not sure Chroma would have been the one to swing it for me as a novice. I’d have gone for a recent assemblage of short format releases entitled Sirens, covered in the first part of this profile of Twenty Hertz: http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?url=page.php&ID=239&iss=68

That said, Chroma is a very winsome recording.