Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 798087 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1020 on: November 18, 2008, 11:53:40 PM »
Re: Move D

I'm a Move D enthusiast and have to agree the Brunn collab. "Let's call it a day" is excellent (better than Beehive).  The other Move D to get is Live at Johanneskirche, also on the label Let's call it a Day was released on (forget the label, it's German, duh).  Regarding Namlook collaborations, I agree there are too many Move D/Namlook collaborations, especially when you have to pay $28 and up for these DTS/CD double packs, but once a Fax addict, always a Fax addict, money will never get in the way I buy everything!  The Raumland trilogy overall was quite weak, except for "Montage," clearly the jewel in that crown.  Actually these guys have been on a roll with their last 3 discs: "Travelling the Silk Route," "There" (which I really love), and the new "Sexoid". All highly recommended.   

I think you mentioned MoveD in another thread (was it the Sending Orbs thread?) Anyway, I was able to track down "Kunststoff" and it is a real gem! Just got the "Songs from the Beehive" collab with Brunn and am enjoying it very much (though only been able to get in a couple early morning hectic listens)...What is the other Brunn collab you mention, and where can it be found?

And thanks for turning me on to this artist!

Undershadow

« Reply #1021 on: November 19, 2008, 01:27:42 AM »

Note the discussion here from a little while back: http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=10.msg10409#msg10409

You'll see the title there, but I note that it now seems to be unavailable from both Forced Exposure and amazon.com. Had a little browse around, but all the retailers I've found are in Europe, and the exchange rate is probably not favourable (albeit better than it was, e.g., against the GBP)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #1022 on: November 19, 2008, 06:05:27 AM »
michel banabila - traces
manual - confluence
the lullaby league - cantus
Shirk - Radium Drops

Undershadow

« Reply #1023 on: November 19, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »

While we’re on a Move D tip, I've been listening to: MOVE DDrøne

You can listen here: http://www.imeem.com/jbhj/music/5WrpRL6J/move_d_drone/

I like the way Moufang plays around with our expectations of beats, both confounding and meeting them. Initially the beats don’t seem to cohere into a perceptible rhythm, but the mind is configured to perceive order, and so tries to make sense, and struggles... then when the 4/4 kicks come in there's a sudden epiphany when suddenly sense is revelaed. Once you have the 4/4 fulcrum, the beats can shift around on that axis, creating kinetic variation. I think in English you are calling this 'groove', yes? The track goes on to develop into a smoother rhythmic entity as it progresses, occasionally breaking down, then re-building into motion. In the meantime, the drone has been doing its own thing with subtle filtering and textural tweaking techniques. 12 minutes go by without longueur. This track embodies the essence of the appeal of minimal techno... well, for me anyway.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 19, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
Cymphonic- Strataradialis- a greatly varied yet cohesive disc that never fails to satisfy.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 19, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »
For the Move D titles I'd try www.ear-rational.com.  If they're not in stock you can always ask them if they'd be able to order them for you. 

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1026 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Fennesz - Black Sea
i love this Album .... at times so gentle and overwhelming

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 21, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 22, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
Waking up with some Move D this morning. Songs From the Beehive. I'm liking this one quite a lot...

Parallel Worlds

• Unreal-time player
    • View Profile
    • Official Parallel Worlds Website
« Reply #1029 on: November 23, 2008, 02:32:30 AM »
recently:

Tangerine Dream - Bootleg Box 2 disc 1
Ian Boddy - Three Dreams
Portishead - Third
India Czajkowska - Cosmospiria
Vidna Obmana - Opera for 4 Fusion Works: Act 4
Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze - Dark Side Of the Moog 11
Keith Fullerton Whitman - Playthroughs
Orbital - Snivilisation
Front 242 - Tyranny For You
Twine - Twine

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 23, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
Fabio Orsi-Wild Light of the Moon: very good, not as "experimental" as I would have thought, straightahead ambient mostly. Gorgeous cover art.

Fennesz-Venice: my first Fennesz album.  Very cool. Amazing David Sylvian track here.  Guess I'm a fan now so Black Sea on my list.

Xmal Deutschland-Tocsin: early 4AD album (think Cocteau Twins meets Siouxsie and the Banshees, all sung in German), they're okay, can't hold a candle to Cocteaus/Xymox but fun for 80's nostalgia. 

Procyon-X-The Ghost of Orion: one of the best space music albums I've heard this year.

The Threshold of Silence (Umbra compilation): awesome spacemusic w/lots of guitar drones courtesy SiF, A. Baker, P. Bradley, Troum, etc. Glad I snagged one of the last copies from El Hypnos Store.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1031 on: November 23, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
Steve Roach - Transmigration
really dig that one .... though i am not a fan of a more "beaty" roach
i still enjoy this one really much

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1032 on: November 23, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
Steve Roach - Monuments of Memory
yeah, thats how i want my Steve Roach Music .... perfect ....
now i am so fixed before going to bed, that i will take a little
"steve roach headphone listening expericence" before sleeping

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:58 AM »
arve henriksen - cartography
(another beautiful release from him, certainly a 2008-favorite of mine)

alio die - sempus rei
(good one. classic Alio Die, but still on rotation to fully appreciate it..)

aidan baker - i wish too, to be absorbed
(a perfect introduction/compilation of Aidan's various styles of guitar-ambient!)

eluder - the most beautiful blue
(fascinating cd on Infraction with a classic ambient touch, i like its overall grainy sound)

paul schutze - the third site
(this one goes away for dumpprices at many places, i think its a marvelous release from Schutze, the german spoken poetics from Thomas Koner may distract many listeners..)

liquid ghosts - camera obscura
(a fantastic collab. cd with oophoi, tau ceti & netherworld, i hope this one will some time in the future be re-released on cd-format..)

anzio green - autumn honey
(very nice spacious electronics which reminds me to the more gentle romantic moments of autechre, the guitar here even reminds of some of Thom Brennan's work)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:34:28 AM by jim02 »

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1034 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Christopher Willits - Fountain
cant beat this one .... love everything Willits did and i am sure i will love everything he will do in the future ....

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: November 25, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
Mitsuhiro Yoshimura / Masahiko Okura - Trio (Presquile)
Mitsuhiro Yoshimura / Taku Sugimoto / Toshiya Tsunoda - Santa (Presquile)

So weird, so great.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »
Mwvm- Rotations; Very nice! Wish I'd have picked it up sooner.
Fennesz- The Black Sea; a tough nut to crack. Really good in spots, but too many abrupt changes in volume, which I always find distracting.

Undershadow

« Reply #1037 on: November 26, 2008, 01:24:25 AM »
Mwvm- Rotations; Very nice! Wish I'd have picked it up sooner.

Yeah, what too you so long, Joe?!
If you like mwvm, you might be interested in a bloke called Wereju, who is similarly inclined toward the drone-guitar+effects thing, but tending to the eerier/heavier - though avoiding any fearful (FearFalls?) sludge. I have a mini profile posted here, with some decent length sound samples:

http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?url=page.php&ID=261&iss=71

Having initially found his music somewhat gloomy, it emerged as having a real beauty to it despite its flirtations with bleakness and desolation. See what you think anyway.

Fennesz- The Black Sea; a tough nut to crack. Really good in spots, but too many abrupt changes in volume, which I always find distracting.

I tend to have the same problem with Fennesz albums, though I thought this one had several pieces that worked very well, and generally managed to integrate the more challenging noise element in such a way as to avoid frightening children, horses and Joe R.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1038 on: November 26, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
- Biosphere: Autour De la Luna

this undestated release from 2004 has really grown on me.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 26, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »

If you like mwvm, you might be interested in a bloke called Wereju, who is similarly inclined toward the drone-guitar+effects thing, but tending to the eerier/heavier

Hey, that Wereju bloke sounds great! Was hoping I could get a disc or two stateside, but it seems that you have buy overseas.