Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 805283 times)

Ferngerms

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1240 on: January 24, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
Angel – Kalmukia – Editions Mego
(Hmmm….hmmm…I don’t know if I like it yet.  At times this group reminds me of Mirror and at others they sound like Continuum…then at others we have this free improv thing going on.  Hard to say but I think it will grow on me)

Summons Of The Shining Ruins – Summons Of The Shining Ruins 2 – Moufu Rukuon
(Kind of seems to compliment the previous recording but besides that I really like this disc.  It’s dirty in a wonderful way with those Keith Berry Haiku song titles….some songs are about five sentences long.  He had another release on Install but this one seems to have more direction and has plenty of beautiful moments…although he has another release on Milieu music which is collaboration with Brian Grainger that is also top notch stuff)

Chris Herbert – Mezzotint – Kranky
(What a wonderful recording…I hope we have the opportunity of listening to a brand new album from Chris Herbert this year)

Fern

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 24, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
(What a wonderful recording…I hope we have the opportunity of listening to a brand new album from Chris Herbert this year)
Fern

This is sounding quite nice. I am a sucker for any music that makes graphic arts connections in its titling or concept. Where do you acquire it?

Undershadow

« Reply #1242 on: January 24, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
Fern

This is sounding quite nice. I am a sucker for any music that makes graphic arts connections in its titling or concept. Where do you acquire it?

It's a great little album, that Mezzotint. Being a Kranky release, it's not too hard to get hold of.
You could pick it up cheap through discogs marketplace: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=757724&ev=rp

Or otherwise you could go mainstream with amasszone: http://www.amazon.com/Mezzotint-Chris-Herbert/dp/B000HT38TO

or maybe Forced Exposure: http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/herbert.chris.html

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 24, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »
Vladimir Horowitz playing Alexander Scriabin - Etude Op. 2 No. 1

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 24, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Pleasure, Forrest. I've made it even more painless (emusic doesn't give you full-length track samples from what I recall) with a couple of tracks - not necessarily the best... first and last, in fact - here:
http://albient.livejournal.com/8861.html
(Now playing: Manual - Confluence)

Hey Alan,  Thanks for going to the trouble.  Sounds great.  I think it's best I've heard from Manual by far.  I've just bopped over to emusic to get a virtual copy of Confluence and will be enjoying it this evening.

Forrest
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:14:29 AM by ffcal »

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #1245 on: January 24, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »

Agreed. And the free live download version is great too! Doubt that's on-line anymore though. The graphics on raw card stock are a nice touch. Hope there's a new one due as well.

musica intima - Forgotten Peoples Choral music by Veljo Tormis.

One of the best small choirs going

Parallel Worlds

• Unreal-time player
    • View Profile
    • Official Parallel Worlds Website
« Reply #1246 on: January 25, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »
Ian Boddy & Bernhard Wostheinrich - Hemispheres
Hazard - Wind
David Sylvian - Gone to Earth
Modulator ESP - Time Delation Effect

Undershadow

« Reply #1247 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
Popnoname - "Nightliner" (among others) from:

Mmm. Late Cologne delivery this year. Anyway, it's just about due (mid-February).

Teaser: http://albient.livejournal.com/8974.html

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 25, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Fern

It's a great little album, that Mezzotint. Being a Kranky release, it's not too hard to get hold of.
You could pick it up cheap through discogs marketplace: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=757724&ev=rp

Or otherwise you could go mainstream with amasszone: http://www.amazon.com/Mezzotint-Chris-Herbert/dp/B000HT38TO

or maybe Forced Exposure: http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/herbert.chris.html

Thanks for the tips Alan. I actually called my local record store and they had it used. It's on hold and I'm getting it tomorrow...

As for listening:

Sleep Research Facility - Nostromo ... This is so excellent, great to discover previously unkown mastery such as this.

Funckarma - Vel Vagranz ... The new one from n5md, this is a mighty piece of work. Jazz funk electronica like psychedelic autechre in a blender. Highly recommended...

Undershadow

« Reply #1249 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
Fern

You could pick it up cheap through [...edit...]

Thanks for the tips Alan. I actually called my local record store and they had it used. It's on hold and I'm getting it tomorrow...

Glad to hear it, Joseph. You may also be interested in some remarks I made in a review of Mezzotint when it came out, noting the title-artwork-music (text<-->image<-->sound) linkage at work: http://www.ei-mag.com/verite0001.php#18

soma611

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 30, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »
John Martyn Glorious Fool

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/arts/music/30martyn.html

Ouch.

Rest in peace, John.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:41:45 PM by soma611 »

Parallel Worlds

• Unreal-time player
    • View Profile
    • Official Parallel Worlds Website
« Reply #1251 on: January 30, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »
Cisfinitum - Bezdna
V/A - Roulette Russe Pour Un Peu De Caviar (Monochrome Vision label compilation)

Undershadow

« Reply #1252 on: January 30, 2009, 05:15:52 PM »
Enjoying this Daizok - Autumn Scenes on Install very much (big ups to Fern for the spot!). The multi-short-track format of much of the release puts me in mind of Kiln’s Thermals (Infraction), a favourite from a few years back, and in fact, one or two tracks are dead ringers for tracks from that album (esp. “Reflections Pt. 3”). “Sonic-carousels, tonesheets, loopstrata, and slo-wave microsymphonies” was the subtitle of Thermals, and it'd apply to much of Autumn Scenes. In mid-late sections textures reminded of Tim Hecker (softer side), Gas (esp. Pop), Namlook/Inoue, and echoes of this-12k’n’that-Kranky.

“[...] A stately and elegant ambient album in the most traditional sense, which we really do not release much of here at Install. That just shows how striking it is! Wonderfully clear field recordings mingle with warm tonal passages to create what could be a travelogue of sorts, presented through 21 tracks that are sometimes short vignettes or connective pieces, and sometimes extended drones that never seem to end [...]” (from http://www.installsound.net)

http://www.installsound.net/catalog.htm#i9

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #1253 on: January 30, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
Enjoying this Daizok - Autumn Scenes on Install very much (big ups to Fern for the spot!). The multi-short-track format of much of the release puts me in mind of Kiln’s Thermals (Infraction), a favourite from a few years back, and in fact, one or two tracks are dead ringers for tracks from that album (esp. “Reflections Pt. 3”). “Sonic-carousels, tonesheets, loopstrata, and slo-wave microsymphonies” was the subtitle of Thermals, and it'd apply to much of Autumn Scenes. In mid-late sections textures reminded of Tim Hecker (softer side), Gas (esp. Pop), Namlook/Inoue, and echoes of this-12k’n’that-Kranky.

Sold!  Thanks for the tip—just ordered a copy. 

Also looking forward to Tagg's split with Jefre Cantu-Ledesma.  Hopefully it'll be in another of those beautiful slidey boxes.  8)

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1254 on: January 31, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »
Christopher Willits - Fountain
nice glitchy guitar work

John Kannenberg - Gelidus
anyone know this release? i never really was a fan of this minimal sound synthesis but
this work really blows me away everytime i listen to it .... its far away from ambient,
going a bit more into the noise genre, but breathtaking ..... this tape hiss always
reminds me of the sound of rain, and i guess thats why i love it so much .... the whole
work is a "sonic interpretation of extreme cold in six movements"

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 31, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
Listened to the new Yagya, Rigning, last night...

Such an excellent work. I don't know how he does it. It seems at first to be elegant techno on the surface, then just blossoms out from these subtle beginnings into deep emotion and soundscape. Wonderful first impression.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1256 on: January 31, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Listened to the new Yagya, Rigning, last night...

Such an excellent work. I don't know how he does it. It seems at first to be elegant techno on the surface, then just blossoms out from these subtle beginnings into deep emotion and soundscape. Wonderful first impression.
Really great Record, thats right. Played this quiet often during the last week.

Trentemöller - The Forrest
also great Ambient Techno

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 31, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »
Na Koja Abad - Dreamfall:Veils and Visions.

Just rediscovered this one while browsing through the cds collection. A damp and murky tribal experience, you can almost smell the wet earth and fallen leaves. I like the level of attention to the cd packaging (Leaves and wood sticks encased in the jewel).

I wonder what happened to this interesting artist that seemed to have suddenly vanished....

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 31, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
Ryuta K + Sara Ayers - Kyzyl to Samarkand (very nice drone-based dark ambient CD with some great vocalizing from Sara)

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 01, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »
a bit of a gear change while shaving and bathing - Budgie, Rainbow and Van Halen... :o