Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 839540 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1261 on: February 01, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »
This weekend:

Radio Massacre International-Lost in Space (6CD box) This box runs the gamut from "great" to "ho hum," so I've been trying to digest it all and make a "best of box" compilation.  I'm just about RMI'd out at this point.

Syndromeda-his entire discography, for the same reason above.  To me he's hit and miss, I really like a couple tracks from each album but he tends to meander in blandness for a lot of it. 

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 02, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »
A couple of listens over the weekend:

Ariel Kalma – Osmose – BLUR - CD
(While going through my CD collection on Sunday I noticed this wonderful album from back in 2007 that was part of my best of list.  Always had a hard time describing the sounds on this album without sounding to “new agey”….not that that is bad thing or anything it just has to do with the fact that he incorporates some chanting, synthesizers, drums, and rainforest sounds(and from the sound of that it seems like it is going to be total cheese).  In the liner notes it indicates that this recording was popular among meditation retreats during the 1980’s…anyhow top notch stuff when you look at the history of ambient, experimental, and new age music)

RST – Tomorrow’s Void – Utech Records - CD
(Not quiet what I expected but then again I should have not expected similarities with his last recording on Last Visible Dog since it came out on Utech.  Perhaps one could call this drone if it weren’t for seven other songs that seem to incorporate the metallic noise element present in many other recordings.  However the noise element is kept in restraint and is balanced well enough so that my ears aren’t ringing at the end of the album.  All in all a good recording and a welcome comeback from a rather obscure artist)

Celer – Tropical – Mystery Sea - CDR
(From one end of the spectrum to the other…Celer is located on the much quieter end of the spectrum.  Hard to describe the album because I don’t think there was much of an apex in this recording (not that it is necessary or anything).  I loved the Infraction and Spekk releases but this recording on Mystery Sea is nothing like those.  Despite the beautiful poetic song titles I found each piece to be very similar to one another.  Perhaps the album would have had a different effect if the pieces were all combined into one long track.  Anyhow it’s good for what it is.)

Fern

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 02, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »
Over the weekend:

No idea why, but I felt the need to listen to Gentle Giant's In a Glass House. So now I've pulled out the old vinyl and played their whole catalog the last 2 days. It was a '70's binge.

I don't think I've listened to this stuff in 20 years. i loved it. Might be time to bust out the Hawkwind and ELP discs.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
so much great piano recordings to discover on youtube

rachmaninov - prelude op. 32 no. 10

incredible, what music

Undershadow

« Reply #1265 on: February 02, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
Pan American – The River Made No Sound – Kranky
(I love listening to this CD on gloomy autumn afternoons.  By the way does anyone know if he has a new album on the horizon?)

"[...] Pan American’s new album will be released in early 2009." (http://unsound.pl/en/festival/program/artists/2008/show/23)

"[...] February 24 will see the release of another full-length, entitled White Bird Music. Kranky is letting this track off the album circulate in the weeks prior to the album's release."

Stream/download track at: http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2009/01/how-much-progress-one-makes

(n.b. the quote is slightly inaccurate: album is actually called White Bird Release https://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=154133)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:00:29 PM by Undershadow »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 03, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »
Today's root canal serenade:

Radiohead - Kid A
Lydia Kavina - Music from the Ether:  Original Works for Theremin

Forrest

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 03, 2009, 12:57:36 AM »
World Music Library - Dombra Music of Kazakhstan

This is it...

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 03, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »
World Music Library - Dombra Music of Kazakhstan
This is it...

Sounds cool.  A member of the pickup mandolin group I play with also plays the domra.

Forrest

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1269 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:55 AM »
Sade - Cherish The Day | Lovers Live
wonderful

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:27 AM »
Damnit I have a secret (not any longer) love of Sade's music. It hits just right sometimes.

Listening this eve: Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido: awesome beyond words, if the hair on the back of your neck does not stand up during Lemmy's grinding bass action in "Time We Left This World Today" you are dead to rock itself.

Hall of the Mountain Grill - this music is nectar of the gods. Hawkwind is the most texturally complex rock band out there. So many weird sounds and modulations...I get the same I do from it as from good ambient.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
In the last few days:

Andrew Chalk – Blue Eyes Of The March – Faraway Press – CD
(The first thing I realized about this release was the gatefold case.  It seems that the first song on this two track album is a representation the of the cover image; while the second song is a representation of the inside image.  It occurred to me that perhaps Chalk creates music in ode of the images or paintings he comes across (I believe he does paint some of his own stuff or does he paint every image on his release?).  It also seems that much of the music I have been consuming has some photo, graphic, or painting that the musician or label thinks best represents the music (and clearly it doesn’t).  Not the case with with Andrew Chalk although I can’t speak for his collaborations within Mirror or Isolde)

Michael Mantra And Charlz de la Casa – Cerulean Transmission – Silentes – CD
(The definable Michael Mantra elements are present in this recording….environmental water sounds, chirping birds, and his ever present drone found among all of his recordings even to those dating back in the mid-nineties.  A couple of new elements that I found in this recording (which I will attribute to de la Casa) was the use of the didgeridoo, and a few odd sounds (perhaps the musique concrete element that some have described present in the recording).  All in all this is my favorite of Michael Mantra’s work and a real winner if you enjoy environmental sounds with your drones)

Coppice Halifax –Ocean Lion - Milieu Music – 3” CDR
(Atmospheric breakbeats wrapped in a viscous layer of melodies.  I have come to enjoy his output  under Coppice Halifax more than any other alias…it seems to take me back to those old rave days chilling out in the ambient room)

Fern
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:48:41 PM by Ferngerms »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2009, 05:30:49 PM »
Just got back from a glorious vacation south of Cancun, in a resort bordered on one side by jungle, and the other side by the Caribean Sea. Which got me into a serious tribal mood now that I'm back home:

Steve Roach/Jorge Reyes- Vine, Bark & Spore
Roach/Metcalf- The Serpent's Lair

And also-

The Winterhouse- Lost; I've always liked this one, now I'm loving it. Such fantastic detail!
The Fun Years- The Crippling Paranioa of Fluorescent Quinine; I have 3 of their CDs now, and really enjoy them all. Such nice, lazy, crackley goodness.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 05, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »
Funckarma : Psar Dymog

This album, released by Japan's Symbolic Interaction label, is damn amazing. Old time electronica aerated and spiced to a degree surpassing even the normally high level of genius of the brothers Funcken.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1274 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:09 AM »
Devin Townsend - Deadhead | Live from the Safe Zone DVD
best song ever written .... no doubt, and probably best performance ever .... Devin is a fucking
genius

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
This morning:

The Circular Ruins- Before The Colors Deepened; what a gem of a disc this is... quite magical.

Undershadow

« Reply #1276 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
SublampCathedrals of Gravity

Free download: http://shiver.sublamp.com/recordings/

Very nice texturalism – could almost be a Twenty Hertz release... think Keith Berry doing something for Mystery Sea with some interference from Dragons Eye.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #1277 on: February 05, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
Inspired by Bebbo's post in the Non-Hypnos artists section I pulled some Johann Johannsson...

johann johannsson - ibm 1401, a user's manual [2006]
johann johannsson - fordlandia [2008]

other spins...
bernard szajner - some deaths take forever [1980]
sleepy town manufacture & unit 21 - no traces [2009]

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »
Matthew Florianz- Niemandsland; atmospheric and spacious, a bit bleak, but excellent. I kind of forgot about Matthew's music until his sudden reappearance on the forum.
Nunc Stans- Land; Sounds like the soundtrack to a polar expedition. About the best free music you'll ever find!

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 06, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Last Night:

Celer "The Everything and the Nothing". This is such an instantly engaging, extremely relaxing work. The atmospheres take me deep into strange memories. Kudos to Celer....

Tonight on the table: Sleep Research Facility "Dead Weather Machine Re:Heat". More SRF is always a good thing.

Maps and Diagrams "Antennas and Signals". Tasty electro beat journeys.