Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 830973 times)

Undershadow

Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1400 on: March 08, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZegoK1OBVM (“Green” – sweet, calm and serene, without being saccharine)

Shame about the naive, escapist, romantic visuals...

Well, it sounds like escapist, romantic music, so perhaps justified.
But yep the coloured ones half way through really were unspeakably sappy.

I enjoyed the music though.

Guys, just to be clear, in case you thought I was holding this up as some sort of masterpiece of moving image semiotic expressivity, I did insert the following as a preface to the youtube clips:

> here are a couple of samples up on youtube (n.b. posted for audio rather than video checking) from Soundscapes I

I didn't intend the visuals to be critiqued - it was just a short-cut to let peeps hear the sounds. Next time, kindly open another tab on your browser and don't even look at the page when the audio's playing. Thanks.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1401 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
No, I think the subconscious semiotics are clear, Alan. You only pointed us to this
location in order that we might enjoy the video images. Reverse attribution. 
Negative semiosis.    ;)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 08, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2eYynj5qDU (“Bistre” – gorgeous wavering drift with a slightly eerie edge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZegoK1OBVM (“Green” – sweet, calm and serene, without being saccharine)

Jeez, that's some beautiful music. Sounds like vidnaObmana around the time of Near The Flogging Landscape, and Refined On Gentle Clouds.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #1403 on: March 08, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »

Shame about the naive, escapist, romantic visuals...

Well, it sounds like escapist, romantic music, so perhaps justified.
But yep the coloured ones half way through really were unspeakably sappy.

I enjoyed the music though.

Guys, just to be clear, in case you thought I was holding this up as some sort of masterpiece of moving image semiotic expressivity ... I didn't intend the visuals to be critiqued - it was just a short-cut to let peeps hear the sounds. Next time, kindly open another tab on your browser and don't even look at the page when the audio's playing. Thanks.

You can't be serious. Your music comments were accurate. Weighing in on the visuals is not an indictable offense, nor was it intended to pique your ire.

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 08, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »
I've Listened to parts of the following albums lately:

Sayama -- Sacred Healing Waters.   "New agey" yet tremendously spacious.

Klaus Weise -- Trance Wave 1

Detaching the world vol. 1 by Emil Gagliardi.  Jeff Pearce may have some competition here!!

Jim Cole -- Godspace, The way beyond

Oophoi -- An aerial view

From my archives:

Dean De Benedictis -- A Lone Reply

Finally,

Aranos -- Samadhi. 6 Tibetan Bowls, 1 Shakuhachi flute, Probably the most peaceful album I've heard to date.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #1405 on: March 09, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
Well, I feel quite let down by Cheju's "Diode", which sounds like an uninspired ripoff of Autechre. Then there is Mint's "Binary Counting" which was yet more uninspired middle of the road electronica. And finally Cosmic Connection "Iambic" which sounded kind of good to me at first but I couldn't shake the feeling that it is some kind of rehashed remix of other electronica or songs, like an even lower grade Kruder and Dorfmeister (in fact some of the sounds are even the same as a KD remix album I had a long while back). Cheju seems almost manufactured in the same way, like it is just an Autechre album reheated and served as leftovers.

Glad to hear you like Sense of Place, Joe. I am a big Hakobune fan, but that is one I haven't fully gotten into yet. You've inspired me to give it another try soon.

As for the Qusop, that is some gorgeous stuff. Perhaps derivative of SAWII, but happily so. I am always on the lookout to recapture that sound, it is musicall manna.

I'm checking out the Sonmi451, it sounds good...might get it, even though I've been down on U-cover of late.

Thought you didn't like that Hakobune release, am I remembering correctly?

Hi Joseph- No, perhaps you're thinking of someone else -I loved Sense Of Place from the moment I first put it in.

If you don't mind me asking, which U-Cover discs did you find disappointing?

By the way, I notice that there's another Sonmi451 disc at N5 Mailorder. I may get that one as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:29:45 AM by 9dragons »

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #1407 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:03 AM »
Jon Hassell - "Last Night The Moon..."

Hmmm. On first listen...rather aimless. Will revisit.

Bobo Stenson - "Cantado"

Gorgeous. Though I've never understood why such brilliant musicians who create such beautiful music don't make any effort towards sartorial splendor when being photographed for the booklets! ;-)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #1408 on: March 09, 2009, 12:56:34 PM »
Welcome to the working week sonics today:

On the transit -
Aidan Baker - Songs of Flowers and Skin - Thick, gooey, gazey songs of...

At the desk -
V/A - The Ambient Expanse - Probably my most-played ambient compilation.
Automatic Fats - Molasses Springs - High cholesterol, head-nodding, dubby trippiness.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »
Raison d'etre-The Luminous Experience.  Nice live album.

Killing Joke-XXV Gathering DVD, Hosannas from the Basements of Hell, Nightime, Pandemonium.  I've been on a Killing Joke binge lately.  They put most metal bands to shame with their nihilistic, apocalyptic masterpieces of doom.  Jaz Coleman is truly a warped individual, but I still love 'im.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #1410 on: March 09, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
Quosp-

This is excellent.  It is very Vidna - circa 'Near the Flogging Landscape', like Joe R said.  Which is probably my fave vidna period.
But at the same time, the influence isn't overbearing. 

Beautiful.  A lesson in simplicity, and non-orchestration.  And yeah, ignore the visuals. 
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #1411 on: March 10, 2009, 02:47:23 AM »
Jaz Coleman is truly a warped individual, but I still love 'im.

Agreed, Mr Coleman is a visionary or a madman - probably both.

I don't hear the sheer intensity of the likes of 'Asteroid', 'Money is not our God' and 'Exorcism' anywhere else.

Quite an antidote to mediocrity !

cheers
Pete

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #1413 on: March 11, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »
This morning:

Tim Hecker—An Imaginary Country
Very good new album by Hecker.  Maybe not as staggeringly epic as the last one, but quite a solid listen.  Def. a favorite of 2009 so far.

Lotus Plaza—The Floodlight Collective
I sneaked a preview download of this forthcoming CD on Kranky.  This is the guitarist from Deerhunter doing ambient pop music rather like the Atlas Sound record.  Really good music if you are in an indie rock frame of mind.

Adam Pacione—Still Life #2: They Live By Night
Anybody else subscribe to Pacione's great monthly series of 3" CDRs?  They've been fantastic.

Jon Hassell—Last Night the Moon ...
Always wanted a quieter Hassell album (though I wanted percussion in the live experience!  can't win), so this hits the spot.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 11, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
Anybody else subscribe to Pacione's great monthly series of 3" CDRs?  They've been fantastic.

Hell Yeah I wish other musicians would do similiar things.  Everything so far has been spot on from Adam Pacione.  I wish Second Sun would do the same thing for the same price instead of shelling out $120 at the end of year or at least send me the box at the end of the series for free since I purchased every pill.

Yesterday evening I Drifted away to

Thomas Koner - Teimo/Permafrost - Mille Plateaux
(Sounds like it just came out yesterday has not aged a bit...fresh as ever)

Mountains - Choral - Thrill Jockey
(Cinematic and bight ambient....not what I expected from the duo but I am totally digging it)

Ora - Final - ICR
(Besides track three the album is a beautiful piece of enviromental drones and scrapes)

Various - Mandorla Autumn Net Project Vol. 3 Part 1 - http://www.mandorla.com.mx/
(The comp is not that great but it does have a few killer tracks from Hakobune, Off The Sky, Fax, and Alexandre Navarro. Part 2 focuses on the more experimental side of ambient featuring a few artist that made some decent contributions such as Yannick Dauby, Francisco Lopez, etc.  Check it out it's for free so you have nothing to lose and some music to gain)

Fern

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
Jon Hassell-Last Night the Moon... This is a fantastic album of quietly disorienting texture maps.  Very dreamy, surreal.  Perfect!!

Klaus Schulze-Rheingold DVD.  The concert stuff is a bit long and boring, but disc 2 with a nice long documentary and interview by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree makes this set worth getting.  Weird to see Klaus without the cigarette in hand.  He finally kicked the habit.  Congrats Klaus!!!

U2-No Line on the Horizon.  Bloody awful (for U2), but a decent pop record nonetheless.  Utterly forgettable above it all.

Undershadow

« Reply #1416 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »

Hell Yeah I wish other musicians would do similiar things.  Everything so far has been spot on from Adam Pacione.

Thanks for the heads up, both. This 3" series had been off my radar completely, and I've liked everything AP has done thus far.

Mountains - Choral - Thrill Jockey
(Cinematic and bight ambient....not what I expected from the duo but I am totally digging it)

I enjoyed this too, and also was quite surprised to do so. From previous releases, I had them down in the same category as Tape, who I've found I really haven't been able to get, but this Choral is very good.

And while I'm here thanks to Fern for a rec from a while ago which I've just managed to acquire and am really enjoying:

Chartreuse - No More Paths to Sounder Sleep
Very well judged guitar-based ambient drone (blah) that hits a sweet spot round about some of the Kranky lot (esp. Windy and Carl and earlier SotL) and Eluvium (circa Talk Amongst the Trees).

Commentary: http://thorsrubberhammer.com/?p=53
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:06:51 PM by Undershadow »

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #1417 on: March 11, 2009, 12:30:17 PM »
I'm a fan of Mountains as well.  I like the fact that they do the clicky microsound ambient thing, but add a nice bit of Fahey fingerpicking to keep things a little less clinical sounding.  I think the new album's great.  I bought the double vinyl which has bonus tracks and a download code for the whole album.  Good deal for two or three dollars more.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1418 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »

- Jason Corder & Beta Two Agonist: Further To Find Closer  (Databloem)

Endearing album.  Fairly gentle and well-structured flow to it.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1419 on: March 12, 2009, 04:06:30 PM »

- Hooverphonic: The Magnificent Tree

Always enjoy re-visiting the Hoovers.
www.dataobscura.com