Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 755483 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
A few recent acquisitions:

Bibio—Fi
Pretty, pastoral folky ambient, somewhere between the ambient works of Milieu and Boards of Canada.  A really nice record.

Taj Mahal Travellers—August 1974
I always heard a lot about this album and it was always tough to find (Japanese import, often out of print).  They just repressed it to coincide with the new Julian Cope book about crazy Japanese psych rock, so I picked it up.  Not sure if it really hits the spot for me, since it's a lot of freeform noise, but there are some genuinely interesting and beautiful moments spread over the two discs.  Maybe it'll grow on me.

Telomere—The Stellar Sea
Outstanding space music in the grand tradition, as I've come to expect from Telomere.  Love it.

Steve Roach—Arc of Passion
One of Steve's recent best, in my opinion.  Nice to hear him return to more "classic" sounding stuff again.

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Stuff I've gotten this past week:

Stephen Philips - Into the Dark
Between Interval - Radio Silence
Austere - Pulse
Saul Stokes - Fields (How did I not pick this up sooner?!  Great stuff.)
Tomita - Daphnis et Chloe, Pictures at an Exhibition

Daphnis et Chloe was a Japanese import with amazing quality. The subtleties of the album are far clearer than on vinyl. Thankfully, you can skip past the wretched 'Bolero' track. Other than that, it's amazing how well this holds up 27 years later (God, I feel old).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 04:11:07 PM by Antdude »
I'm not dead yet.

spore

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Daumen
Still one of my all time favourite bands. Really relaxing stuff. Not as dark and haunting as Black Earth. For the ones that are not familiar with Bohren: they play a very, very slow style of jazz. It could be called the 'funeral doom of jazz'. :)  Recommended to everyone!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2008, 10:58:21 PM »
Kind of a motley bag for listening this past week--

Bach  Keyboard Concertos Vol 2 (Angela Hewitt, piano)--very nicely done.  I think even prefer her Bach to Glenn Gould's.
VA - Frannce (very wierd monster 3-CDR comp of avant folk on Ruralfaune.  For the very adventurous only.)
Gianluca Becuzzi/Fabio Orsi - Please Don't Count the Clouds (interesting 3-3" CDR release with some ambient, some found sound, and little ambient grit--a disc each for them separately, and one disc together.  On the interesting microlabel Foxglove)
Opium - Algorithms (a little noiser than I expected.  I think I like the Sympathetic Flying Objects disc more, but I'll keep listening.)

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:09 AM »
exuviae - settling density - a fine minimal ambient journey

tom heasley - where the earth meets the sky - always love this tuba soundworld... great stuff.

the jam - greatest hits - got in the mood...  the hits collections are fun seeing the swing in music style from the earliest albums to the last (it's almost as drastic as Japan's hilarious first album compared to their last...)

underworld - second toughest in the infants - even though this is so beat oriented - this album works great in the background. 

recoil - unsound methods - actually - I forget the title - that may not be right.  Anyway - from around 1997-ish - some really neat stuff, some not so.   I pretty much in general like Alan Wilder's stuff - always enjoyed his b-sides in Depeche Mode.   This album is fairly dark in sound and lyrics.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:38:44 AM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2008, 11:36:21 AM »
Still one of my all time favourite bands. Really relaxing stuff. Not as dark and haunting as Black Earth. For the ones that are not familiar with Bohren: they play a very, very slow style of jazz. It could be called the 'funeral doom of jazz'. :)  Recommended to everyone!
Sunset Mission is the love of my life. really. there is nothing that comes
close to this beauty. i adore it. if i had to choose one CD that i would
need my whole life, then i would pick the Sunset Mission.

But i would rather call the music "ruhr bar doom jazz". :)

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
Doing "first listens" on a big batch that just arrived over the last few days:

Numina - Symbiotic Spaces (so far just the first disc but very cool stuff)
Devin Sarno and G.E. Stonson - Heart Cell Memory (I'll be reviewing this for my gig at Furthernoise (http://www.furthernoise.org)
Autistici - Volume Objects

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »
Sunset Mission is the love of my life. really. there is nothing that comes
close to this beauty. i adore it. if i had to choose one CD that i would
need my whole life, then i would pick the Sunset Mission.

But i would rather call the music "ruhr bar doom jazz". :)

"Doom jazz"? :o

That does it. I have to check that out!

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »

I think a quick glance at the paltry new offerings in the jazz sections of the world pretty much spells it out!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »

I think a quick glance at the paltry new offerings in the jazz sections of the world pretty much spells it out!

Actually, from what I heard on the (admittedly too brief) MP3s, it sounds pretty good! I guess I was expecting something more dissonant and abrasive, but this sounds like slooowww jaazzzz...
very smooth & serene, nothing harsh about it at all.

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
Ah yes, Bohren is amazing.

You should also check out the Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble for some similar sonic territory. 
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)
Native State Records / Somnia

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
M. Peck Glacial....first rate drifting electronic ambient soundscapes with undertones of drone and elements of retro EM plus some abstract electronic effects! (I shouldn't be surprised at how good this with it coming from Messr Peck, though).

On a sidenote, the most frustrating thing for me as a reviewer is how I wish I had more time to listen to music and stay current on what's submitted to me. Glacial was sent to me a while ago (several months, I think) but I'm only finding time to listen to it now and already it's making a strong case for being on my best of the year list...which is why my "best of the year" list is always so late...I try my damndest to give everything sent to me before year's end a shot at making the list.

Undershadow

« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »

Actually, from what I heard on the (admittedly too brief) MP3s, it sounds pretty good! I guess I was expecting something more dissonant and abrasive, but this sounds like slooowww jaazzzz...

I’d say that B&dCoG’s sound isn’t especially well served by the sub-genre descriptor “doom”, since that term is typically associated with sludgey guitar riffs creating a dirty dronewall. As Joe remarks, there’s none of that present in the typical B&dCoG piece, which is quite a clean sound, with luxuriant Rhodes piano, the colourings coming from haunted minor key mellotron touches. I don’t find the “jazz” element to be particularly pronounced; I’d characterize it more as a kind of gothic noir lounge, with some minimal post-rock influence (esp. in the plodding tempos). The nearest mood/sound reference, for me, would be that warped dark blues-jazz hybrid that Lynch/Badalamenti cooked up for the red room scene with the backwards-talking midget (my memory is possibly errant here) in Twin Peaks (and wasn’t there something like it in Blue Velvet too?).
Anyway, genre designations aside, the best Bohren album to start with is "Black Earth".

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »

I’d say that B&dCoG’s sound isn’t especially well served by the sub-genre descriptor “doom”, since that term is typically associated with sludgey guitar riffs creating a dirty dronewall. As Joe remarks, there’s none of that present in the typical B&dCoG piece, which is quite a clean sound, with luxuriant Rhodes piano, the colourings coming from haunted minor key mellotron touches. I don’t find the “jazz” element to be particularly pronounced; I’d characterize it more as a kind of gothic noir lounge, with some minimal post-rock influence (esp. in the plodding tempos). The nearest mood/sound reference, for me, would be that warped dark blues-jazz hybrid that Lynch/Badalamenti cooked up for the red room scene with the backwards-talking midget (my memory is possibly errant here) in Twin Peaks (and wasn’t there something like it in Blue Velvet too?).
Anyway, genre designations aside, the best Bohren album to start with is "Black Earth".

gothic noir lounge is also a kind of funny genre to put Bohren in, Alan.
Even tough i dont like the term "gothic" with bohren.

Black Earth is great. But i kind of like the more positive Sunset Mission.
I do have a great Quality Bootleg of them from a Concert in Hamburg
i think. They a hilarious live. Really funny Comments about their Song titles.
But kind of hard for people who dont understand the german language.

Oren Ambarchi - Remedios the Beauty
just love this men :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:07:08 PM by SiF »

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »
Autistici - Volume Objects
Glitchy, scratchy, abstract textural and some slight dissonance with occasional hints/teases of melody, a note here, a tone there, sparsity that can be light and cheery and veering to noisy and abrasive with abrupt bursts of the assaultive.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
squarepusher - hard normal daddy frenetic drum programming over jazzy chords and jammin' bass playin'.

black rebel motorcycle club - take them on on your own taking the torch from love & rockets and jesus & mary chain on this one and their earlier self titled album - some really great tunes, a few not so great.  they get a bit religious now and then.   i bought a more recent album of theirs and they'd totally shifted into raw country/bluesish/folk stuff.   interesting and definitely the same band, but definitely a shift in gears.   

two lone swordsmen - tiny reminders a little warp goodness...

david sylvian - everything and nothing -been awhile since i pulled out this 2 disc comp of his work.   there's very little sylvian that I don't like... :)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »
Blade Runner Soundtrack | The Esper Version...Great hearing it all.
Hammock | The Sleep Over Series 1
Grassow/Weiss | Mercurius
Jaaportit | Uumenissa (Deep Below)
Igneous Flame | Tolmon
Gowlan Roberts/Etheocles Stevens | Strom...Another excellent free download from Darkwinter.

H.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
Siniaalto - Tallentumattomat

Finnish Krautrock with vintage electronics

g.@.b.

« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »
Classical mode today:

Gidon Kremer/Kremerata Baltica - Silencio
(Arvo Part, Philip Glass, Vladymir Martynov)
Nonesuch, 2000 (http://www.amazon.com/Silencio-Arvo-Part/dp/B00004YR5P)

Vaughan Williams - Norfolk Rhapsody/In Fen Country/5 Variants of Lazarus
Chandos, 1987 (http://www.theclassicalshop.net/details06MP3.asp?CNumber=CHAN%208502)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2008, 09:19:40 AM »
This morning. Couple from my 2007 favourites list

- Oophoi: Arpe di Sabbia  (flowing drones)
- Last Days: These Places Are Now Ruins (which resembles a shoegazer, ambient, lofi crossbreed to my ears. Delicate stuff.)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans