Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 839506 times)

Celer

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1600 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
new Trumn CDs (Tamaru & Yui Onodera) should be available from www.thesingularwe.org/fs by the end of the week.

a 2-year running Yui Onodera/Celer collaboration CD should be out by the end of the year, too.

Yui Onodera - Substrate
one of my favorite artists around at the moment .... there is something about his sound that hits my
nerve ....

If you are not aware...Onodera has a new net release over at Idiosyncratics Records: http://www.idiosyncratics.net/netlabel.html

And yes I too love the sound of Onodera and if you don't have it yet...better get it soon...Entropy on Trumm Recs....

Fern

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1601 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »

- Eberhard Weber: Endless Days

great to hear a bit of ECM again!
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 22, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »

Yui Onodera - Substrate
one of my favorite artists around at the moment .... there is something about his sound that hits my
nerve ....

If you are not aware...Onodera has a new net release over at Idiosyncratics Records: http://www.idiosyncratics.net/netlabel.html

And yes I too love the sound of Onodera and if you don't have it yet...better get it soon...Entropy on Trumm Recs....

Fern

Fern, did you get Entropy yet? If so what do you think? I've been getting more into Onodera of late, Suisei is excellent, I think I am going to get Entropy. Trumn label is looking good in terms of packaging as well...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 22, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »
Discs that have been on repeat for me lately:

Viul- Summer's Wet Work Is Done
Darwinsbitch- Ore; I don't even know how to describe this anymore. It's one of those strange discs that sound different everytime you hear it.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 22, 2009, 09:46:24 PM »
yui onodera - entropy
in the vein of Celer's more quiet synthesized releases

Yo 9dragons...this is what Jim02 had to say about the release a few weeks ago.  And he did a good job in summing it up with one sentence.  The only thing you need to consider is that "Entropy" is a four year old release and I think it is actually Onodera's debut relese on his own Critical Path out of Japan.  I would not consider "Entropy" to be a masterpiece by any means...but I do think you should invest your money on the Gears Of Sand "Rhizome" disc or locate a copy of "Substrates" on Mystery Sea.  The only thing that might put you off a bit is that the pieces are very quiet and soft but with patience you will be congratulated.  Come to think of it "Substrates" might be a better fit if you liked the aquatic element in "Suisei" ....I'll tell you what i'll give it a deep listen tonight and let you tommorow morning!

Fern

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: April 23, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
Hey Fern, I'm curious to get your take on Entropy. Listening to the sound samples on Onodera's Myspace http://www.myspace.com/yuionodera and they seem like something I could really get into. Of course I am also interested in checking out the Trumn label, always good to see a design oriented label such as that, releasing artists I am interested in...

Listening today:
Rabih Abou-Khalil - Tarab : This is killer Oud based music, Khalil shreds on the Oud, the percussion is superb, the fusion deliriously fused, and there is the most well placed Jew's harp (I think) action going on in one of the songs...

Undershadow

« Reply #1606 on: April 23, 2009, 04:39:47 AM »
Joseph, I'd agree with Fern's rec for Rhizome on Ben F-S's Gears of Sand label. You can find a short review and a sound sample as part of a GoS label profile I did last year here: http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?url=page.php&ID=249&iss=69). I'd also cheer for Substrate on Mystery Sea. I prefer both of those to Suisei (and/OAR). Entropy, I have to admit, I can't remember too well, as it was released quite a while back.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #1607 on: April 23, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »
Joseph, I'd agree with Fern's rec for Rhizome on Ben F-S's Gears of Sand label. You can find a short review and a sound sample as part of a GoS label profile I did last year here: http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?url=page.php&ID=249&iss=69). I'd also cheer for Substrate on Mystery Sea. I prefer both of those to Suisei (and/OAR). Entropy, I have to admit, I can't remember too well, as it was released quite a while back.

I would go for Suisei as my favorite and i dont even know why. Ok, i am a sucker for Water and the Sound of it.
But there is no Album that gets me so sleepy like Suisei. After listening to it my whole body always feels incredibly
heavy and i fell into sleep a few seconds after i shutdown my IPod. Strange.

But you also cant go wrong with Substrate or Rhizome. Entropy is quiet nice, but not as good as the other mentioned
three. "Punkt" is also quiet nice. and the 3" on Taalem is also very enjoyable.

Genesis - Watcher of the Sky
god, i hate Collins Voice .... he is destroying everything that Genesis ever stand for with Peter Gabriel

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #1608 on: April 23, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
Anybody want to clue a fella in on where he can buy a copy of Onodera's Rhizome?  Seems to be out of stock most places.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding

My number one into eternity.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
cdbaby.com/cd/yuionodera
http://www.discogs.com/Yui-Onodera-Rhizome/release/1305791

Anybody want to clue a fella in on where he can buy a copy of Onodera's Rhizome?  Seems to be out of stock most places.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 23, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
My recent non-ambient listening -

Pere Ubu - Worlds In Collision
Marshall Crenshaw - Miracles of Science
Lyle Lovett - My Baby Don't Tolerate

Forrest

Undershadow

« Reply #1612 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
cdbaby.com/cd/yuionodera

Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock at cdbaby, and the one for sale via the discogs link is at the databloem store, which is in the Netherlands - I'd imagine it's not exactly ideal for Brian to buy from there.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 23, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »
that seems to be the only option besides contact GOS directly.. sadly one of the problems with CDbaby.

cdbaby.com/cd/yuionodera

Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock at cdbaby, and the one for sale via the discogs link is at the databloem store, which is in the Netherlands - I'd imagine it's not exactly ideal for Brian to buy from there.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #1614 on: April 23, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »
Since CD Baby gets their stock directly from the label it's possible GOS is out of them.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 23, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »
Depeche Mode "Sounds of the Universe"

Like many enthusiasts of this surpassingly talented group, I have been mildly disappointed with new releases since the departure of Alan Wilder, and this new release doesn't do much for me (although I highly applaud the return to raw analogue synth sounds, etc.).  I genuinely like several songs, but I cannot get over the fact that I miss the captivating hooks and brooding "gothic" themes of albums past (peaking with "Violator").  Complacency sucks rocks!

I mostly listen to the ambient genres closest to our hearts here at the Hypnos forum and have been lackadaisical in reporting playlists.

Cheers,

chad

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:51:40 PM by c. hoefler »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »
Hey Fern, I'm curious to get your take on Entropy. Listening to the sound samples on Onodera's Myspace http://www.myspace.com/yuionodera and they seem like something I could really get into. Of course I am also interested in checking out the Trumn label, always good to see a design oriented label such as that, releasing artists I am interested in...

Ok my thoughts on Entropy after a few repeated listens....Isolationist drone pieces....some of the tracks feature field recordings but for the most part each track focuses on few drones interweaving amongst themselves for four minutes plus.  It’s an enjoyable experience but if asked to compare this release with his current material…I would vouch for his current stuff.  I found this release to be very similar to “Substrates” on Mystery Sea…like I mentioned then you are going to need patience and good headphones to truly appreciate the music.  But track 6 on Entropy has to be one of the most beautiful pieces from Onodera yet and track 7 is not that far from it as well...the packaging is nice if you own any Spekk releases then you know what I'm talking about)

But 9Dragons if you like a bang for your buck on both packaging and music...do you own any stuff from Cotton Goods.  This label has the absolute best packaging I have encountered in a long time check here to see what I am talking about: http://amiscellanyforthequiethours.blogspot.com/

I have a copy of the Humble Bee And Marihiko Hara...and the music is just as good as the package.  The unfortunate tid bit is that to get either release you have to be willing to fork over $100 dollars or more.  But if you check the Boomkat website every Thursday morning at 9 PST you might get lucky and score a copy of the next release whenever it comes out.

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 23, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
At the moment I just finished listening to

Aun - Motorsleep - Alien 8
(Like Joe R I have been digging the darwinsbitch release from three weeks past...this release is along "similair" lines but perhaps a bit closer to the work of Lawrence English and Jasper TX.  An absolute A+ from me and a must have for those who like fuzzed out guitars and doomy drones....i'm looking at you Alan, Joe, Forrest, and SiF.  Perhaps you already have it but if you don't then you must)

Strom Noir - luvyoo - Ambsine
(Hah!  Strom Noir is a man with much talent...everyone head's up and get yourself a copy of this over at Ambsine records in Slovakia top notch Ambient....yes I know Ambient music...real ambient music...if you liked the Sleepytown Manufacture & Unit 21 on Infraction this one comes highly reccomeneded.  Go to Strom Noir's Myspace page to get a few sample)

Fern

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 24, 2009, 04:34:21 AM »
I've had my eye on that new Strom Noir for a while now, hoping I could find it stateside. I was thinking N5 Mailorder would be stocking it, since they carry 2 others-Kruhynavode and Ylomejja. I guess I'll have to order overseas.

I agree with Fermgerms; Strom Noir is ESSENTIAL if you like ethereal, shimmery guitar drones. Beautiful stuff with headphones.

Guess I'll have to check out the Aun as well...

Undershadow

« Reply #1619 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
Yeah, n5md store stocked those two Strom Noir releases 'cos they're on u-cover, while this latest one is on a recondite Slovakian imprint, and I don't see any sign of it through distribs in the US or UK.
I discovered this, though: http://playmytape.net/page.php?id=73