Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 3472902 times)

jim02

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1700 on: May 22, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »
asher - miniatures
(wow, one of those unexpected beauties.. the guy behind this music seemed to tape numerous piano excerpts from the radio overtime, used them as loops, all bathed in plenty of tape hiss, the 26 tracks on these 2 discs are around 3/4 minutes, all delicate, minimal, somber and quite stirring i must tell..)

zelienople - hollywood
(this time no vocals but GREAT droning instead, very cool disc!)

vidnaObmana - passage in beauty
(still on the vO kick)

a broken consort - box of birch
(very glad this one got re-released on CD-format, now the rest of Skelton's discography..)

apparently there's so much great music coming out and we're not even halfway the year, need to control myself :o
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:57:41 AM by jim02 »

aadhar

« Reply #1701 on: May 24, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »
It's raining here so...

Curtis Mayfield-Curtis
Miles Davis-Bitches brew and Birth of the cool
Isley brothers-Shout
Fear falls burning-When the mystery prevades the well...(very eerie stuff!)
Ex-wise heads-Celestial disclosure-(laid back jazzy ambience)
Porcupine tree-Fear of a blank planet(great and Crimson like)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 25, 2009, 12:24:54 AM »
Muslimgauze - Sufiq - wow.

Namlook/Ocal  - Sultan - absolutely great, especially for a fan of Turkish classical music.

Nommo Ogo - The Sea Finally Surfaces - totally unique electroid weirdness. excellent.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 25, 2009, 07:08:16 AM »
Yesterday I found two very good, and FREE Brian Lavelle downloads:

M.V. (Towers Conning)- Great stuff! Swirling, formless, metallic, dense, heavy, vaporous, and ominous are a few adjectives that come to mind...
Hygieia Variations- Just good drones. I used up all of my adjectives in the previous description.

Also:

The Circular Ruins- Before The Colors Deepened
Mwvm- Rotations
William Basinski- 92982
Strom Noir- Luvyoo

Undershadow

« Reply #1704 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
Nice choices, Joeski. Over here, this last week or so, variously:

M.Peck : Dysmha (Chaotic Underworld)
‘Michael Peck [...] reinvents himself convincingly here as documenter of dystopia. These great belches of withering steel-scuzz are not spewed up from Peck's processor out of the sheer bloody-mindedness of experimenting with a different look. He's not Being Dark, just for the sake of it. [...] A work in which the bilious vapours of its sounds - the very air coming off it as it leaks thickly from speakers besmirched by its scabrous delivery - seem to crawl with nightmare effluvia.’

orchestramaxfieldparrish presents ÆRA : To The Last Man/Index Of Dreaming (Faith Strange )
‘A subtle Eastern European dark-night-of-the-soul undercurrent runs through ÆRA; under influence of late-modernist composers - Górecki (check), Pärt (check), Penderecki (check), Kancheli (check) - the prevailing ambient drone of Fazio's guitar manipulations, familiar from outings under the cloak of orchestramaxfieldparrish, gets a headier, more mysterious, flavour.’

Lissom : Nest of Iterations (Dragons Eye)
‘Insidiously alluring surface structures are rent by strange streaks or suffer slippage - to teeming undertow, dissonant dives. Billows of hiss, tintinnabulations, and rumble wreathed in shadow and whispers [...]’

Clinker : On the Other Side... (for L. Cohen) (Dragons Eye)
‘A slow transmutation is effected, first into subtle dissonance, then on to a dramatic closure of thickening timbres stretching toward shimmering shivering uplift. [...] Joynes works with Cohen's voice, a nocturnal hum maneuvered into sweeping movements; gradually emancipated from Cohenic attachments, it enters into a spooked drone zone redolent of NWW's Salt Marie Celeste.’

Drafted by Minotaurs : Aversion Therapy (Infraction)
‘[...] a hail of plucked and bowed strings, webs of sound solidifying then melting into steely flow, stall set out somewhere around cultivated Constellation post-rockeries, a mood and sound that may feel familiar to those acquainted with the new backwoods chamberisms and neo-folk drone of UK cottage industrialites such as Richard Skelton (aka A Broken Consort/Clouwbeck) and Seasons (Pre-din).’

Robert Logan : Inscape (Slowfoot)
'[...] the cinematic symph-hop of the title track is the sound of Mezzanine-period Massive Attack shacked up in Autechre's post-Anvil Vapre studio spinning loops from Steve Roach's mystic-chord-and-sacred-space library into a heaving undertow; a heady audio-hallucinogen of enigmatic swirls, dissonant chord progressions draped over neo-d'n'b, proto-dubstep, and dark-hop.'

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1705 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »
most recently

- Namlook/Hawtin: From Within
- Spyra: Headphone Concert
- Allan Pettersson: Symphony #11
- Allan Pettersson: String Concerto #1
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1706 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »
Just picked up the recent

Last Days: The Safety of the North

another little introspective gem.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 27, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
Arrived today:
Borealis - DVD of halogen light effects created by Lynn Augestin to music by Steve Roach, A Produce, David Parsons, Dwight Loop etc. Stunning imagery....A Produce were new to me, not listened to them before.

Lonely as Dave Bowman by POD. This is more musical and less deep space void (so far, 4th track) than I was expecting. but somehow it does create the sort of timelessness Bowman experiences towards the end of 2001.

yet to come - Steve Roach, Landmass, A Deeper Silence and Dynamic Stillness.

I do like that Steve is willing to sign his music, somehow makes him feel more accessible and available to his fans (especially on this side of the pond, it is a small but important touch to me.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 27, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »
Sunn - Monoliths and Dimensions. Yes, very interesting...

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 29, 2009, 02:34:47 AM »
Sir Richard Bishop - The Freak of Araby. Gorgeous instrumental guirtar driven music drifting in the zone between surf and Arabic.

Parallel Worlds

• Unreal-time player
    • View Profile
    • Official Parallel Worlds Website
« Reply #1710 on: May 29, 2009, 03:50:53 AM »
Pleq - The Fallen Love (VU-US)
David Sylvian - Gone To Earth
Chris Bissonnette - Periphery (Kranky)

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 30, 2009, 11:14:43 PM »
Sunn - Monoliths and Dimensions...the listening gets deeper. Time for headphones.

Sunn - White 2...Amazing, ambient occult wonderworld.

Sunn - Altar...one of the best I've heard in a long time, of any genre.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »
This new release called "Pillowdiver" off 12k.  What a Mark Nelson (of Labradford) solo record might sound like.  Loads of reverbed guitar. 

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #1713 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:15 AM »
"The Glittering Domain" by Deepspace - very satisfying ummm... deep space music - very good to work within.
"Landmass" by Steve Roach - I'd declare this album and "Dynamic Stillness" to be my fave Roach releases in recent years.
NP - "Still Life" by Amongst Myselves - opening with "Ra's Playground" a slowly evolving track that appeared on one of those Ambient@Hyperreal CDs.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: June 03, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother...all time psychedelic classic delight...

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
It's been a while....

DJ Olive - Triage - Room40
(Sometimes I like to read reviews about items I am undecided about.  When I listened to samples of "Triage" I was left in want of more and decided to check out a review at www.thesilentballet.com to read another listeners thoughts.  The album received an incredibly low review "3.5" out of 10 and well I decided if it's that bad....let's skip it. On impulse I decided to buy the CD at my local shop (yes I am lucky...I have an awesome music shop a few miles away) and I was incredibly dissapointed with the review on "Silent Ballet" for two reasons.  One the critic never mentioned that "Triage" was the last piece in the sleep trilogy of DJ Olive....I should of caught this on the first reading of the review.  Secondly the man must have ADD because I think the piece moves along delightfully and it does what it was designed to do....lull you to sleep. The reviewer makes it seem like the piece consists of the four different patches stretched out for 60 minutes without much thought....although I do agree with the reviewer on his thoughts of Yoshi Wada's "Off the Wall"....yes this is a Perrenial Drone Classic)   

Windy And Carl - A Dream Of Blue - Ochre
(10th anniversary of this rather awesome ambient disc....in my opinion the best thing Windy And Carl have ever created.  Why this has not been rereleased is a mystery to me...)

David Tagg - The Lingering Path - Waterscape
(Pure ambient and one of David's most serene moments.  But why does "Picture From Airplanes" end so abruptly.  It seems like it's going to go on for another four minutes and then all of sudden the song is over.  It reminds me of the song "Nautical Dusk" he has on a digital comps that just ends?  Why?)

Just finished buying the new Chihei Hatakeyama "August", Yui Onodera & The Beautiful Schizophonic on Basses Frequences with a bunch of other unique stuff they released from Nicholas Sczepanik, Elemental Reseach Facility(I think that's how you spell it), Raglani & Steve Hauschildt spilit (what a pisser that his synths and effects pedals were stolen along with his laptop...pretty much all of his new music and the equipment he used to create it), New Richard Skelton's on Sustain, the Mega 6 pack release of The Caretaker, and pre-ordered the new BvDub on can't remeber label, and i'm eyeing the new pills on the Second Sun Recs.

Fern

Undershadow

« Reply #1717 on: June 04, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »
[...] and decided to check out a review at www.thesilentballet.com to read another listeners thoughts.[...]

Stop there, Fern. I'd advise you to take what you read on that site with a handful of salt (then add another bucketful). Its stock-in-trade is post-rock - there's very little insight into experimental ambient represented there.

Just finished buying the new Chihei Hatakeyama "August"

Hey, I only just managed to get hold of Saunter, and there's another one?

Yui Onodera & The Beautiful Schizophonic on Basses Frequences

Ooh, nice pairing. Do tell how that is, when you've had chance to listen properly.

the Mega 6 pack release of The Caretaker

Bought this on its first release in 2006. Pretty queasy unsettling stuff - in a good way. Loved the liner notes/essay by k-punk. Pretentious, sure - but um... in a good way.

Glad you're back, by the way. Was wondering what had happened to any talk about interesting or decent music.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:49:56 PM by Undershadow »

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 04, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
thanks Fern, for reminding on the Yui Onodera & The Beautiful Schizophonic CD, i just ordered it  8)

lately some odds and ends..

java : court gamelan I
(traditionel javanese gamelan dated back to the early 70-ties, if in the right mood, simply delightful)

yasnaia - onira
(nice 'original' atmospheric disc, odd and fascinating at the same time..)

art of primitive sound : musical instruments from prehistory
(as the title already suggest, ancient -found- instruments all over the place, comes close to Jorge Reyes or Antonio Testa at times)

chihei hatakeyama - august
(very nice disc! the more i listen to it, the more i like it, all so serene and i think the floating lotus.. on cover compliments it perfectly..)

peter broderick - music for falling from trees
(after a sneaky preview, i found out this' a terrific release from this young composer!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:53:05 PM by jim02 »

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 04, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
New Yui Onodera! Where did you get it?

Have been enjoying the Entropy reissue very much, it's a great album.

Currently listening:
Oratorio of Divine Love - Meditatio...Diophantine discs. Cavernous ambient goodness.
Mandrake - Difuse...Symbolic Interaction. The best thing of the Funckarma brothers. Excellent.