Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 814334 times)

Ferngerms

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #1780 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »
In the morning:
V/A - [parvo] art - [parvo] art Recordings
(Featuring the likes of Marihiko Hara, rim(I know right), and The Boats....and other artists of course.  Not bad...looks like we have another label along the lines of Slow Flow, Home Normal, and Smallfish.  It's a hit...have not listened to the other 3" I received...but they say that the producer Stephen Spera is longtime friends with William Basinski...)

The Parasails - Sky Life - Future Sounds
(Incredibly cheddar cheese cover photo....it shows some dude parasailing with an ugly pink sleeve...by far the worst art of the year.  And to make it worse it looks like the guy is posing thumbs up as he sails on his incridebly lame rainbow parasail....the music is well...awesome and the whole eighties thing on the cover is well lame but it seems that these kids get a kick out of creating really lame covers as in ode to the 80's....why who knows....)

Afternoon:

Mark McGuire - Pocket Full Of Rain - Wagon 2x12 Tapes
(Awesome tunes by 1/3 emeralds...)

On Now:

Jasper TX - Singing Stones - Fang Bomb
(I know I should get off it...but still the album is mezmerizing.  Would probably put this on my top ten of the year thus far...)

What's Next:
Black To Comm - Wir Konnen Leider Nicht Etwas Mehr Zu Tan - Dekorder
(Time To revisit an album from a few years ago...I prepare for the new Digitalis "Charlemagne & Pippin")

Fern

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 19, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »
By the way....I don't know if it's still available at Boomkat but they just released the brand new Cotton Goods release : Sub Loam "Ohr Parts 1-3" 3x3" cdr's...the samples sound absolutley awesome.

Thanks Fern, damn, sold out already, it only went up for sale yesterday too!

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #1782 on: June 19, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
Barn Owl - From Our Mouths a Perpetual Light. Excellent drone mysticism. Powerful work, well in line with the retro wizard drone I've been imbibing lately.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 19, 2009, 01:10:09 AM »
By the way....I don't know if it's still available at Boomkat but they just released the brand new Cotton Goods release : Sub Loam "Ohr Parts 1-3" 3x3" cdr's...the samples sound absolutley awesome.

Thanks Fern, damn, sold out already, it only went up for sale yesterday too!

That sucks!  That's one thing I sincerly hate abour limited releases....especially the ones from mobeer and Cotton Goods...the packaging is awesome(this is the reason why I think) but the fact that they limit them to 100 copies is plain stupid...they could probably sale at the least 250...but why 100?

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
Barn Owl - From Our Mouths a Perpetual Light. Excellent drone mysticism. Powerful work, well in line with the retro wizard drone I've been imbibing lately.

Indeed...something esoteric and mysterious permeates the music of Barn Owl....you should really check out the Elm albums I reccomended in the other thread...you could also try some stuff from Metal Rogue (although they tend to be on the noisier side but some of the earlier albums on Seymour records are drone wizardy....you could also check out myspace and get a sample of what they have available...last time I checked they had some cool videos of themselves in concert, I saw them live earlier in the year and they performed flawlessly), and then you also have the stuff from Higuma on Root Strata, and the solo work of Evan Caminiti (I believe he has only released one tape but worth the hunt)

Fern

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: June 19, 2009, 06:45:19 AM »
That sucks!  That's one thing I sincerly hate abour limited releases....especially the ones from mobeer and Cotton Goods...the packaging is awesome(this is the reason why I think) but the fact that they limit them to 100 copies is plain stupid...they could probably sale at the least 250...but why 100?

I just made up for it and ordered the new Konntinent on Dynamophone instead, I thought the Symbolic Interaction release earlier this year was pretty amazing possibly one of my faves this year.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 19, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »
So far......

The Lullaby League - Dormio Animus - Dynamaphone
(Cute little package with three serenades.....some of the spoken word gets a little annoying but overall good music)

On Now:

SubtractiveLAD - Where The Sky Meets the Ground - N5md
(First track had me looking fot the next button....some electronica post rock buzz...8 years to late in my opinion.  But the second track is softening up and it's going into some quality ambient territory.  Two discs...will take me a while to get through)

Fern

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: June 19, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
Just listened: Jasper TX - Lungs on Under the Spire - double 3" cd based on live recordings. I'm not massively up on Jasper TX's stuff and need to hear more, nice little collectable though.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 19, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »

I just made up for it and ordered the new Konntinent on Dynamophone instead, I thought the Symbolic Interaction release earlier this year was pretty amazing possibly one of my faves this year.

New Konntinent!!! I must order that right away. "Degrees, Integers" was fantastic. 8)

Last Night:

The Fun Years- Life-sized Psychosis; always a good relaxing time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:27:05 PM by Joe R »

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 20, 2009, 07:54:03 AM »
Just listened: The wind up bird - whips on Music fellowship - blending sonics that sound like a mixture between the Stars Of The Lid & 1 Mile North.

On now: Pillow Diver - Sleeping pills on 12k, perfect follow up to the wind up bird.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 20, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
Just listened: The wind up bird - whips on Music fellowship - blending sonics that sound like a mixture between the Stars Of The Lid & 1 Mile North.

Have not heard this one...I have other things on that label...like the Ramses III and some stuff from Landing and the Surface of Eyceon....will check out!

This Morning:
V/A - Pop Ambient 2009 - Kompakt
(As I have mentioned....I am way behind on new stuff....I got the 12" + CD package on this one...kind of miss the jewel case though and will probably never open the 12" now that I have the CD....which then brings up the question why did I not just buy the CD?  Who knows I figured it would be a good deal buying both for the price of one)

Charlemagne Palestine - Four Manifestations On Six Elements - Barooni
(This is one for the armchair and chin strokers....I am by no means academic when it comes to music...I never went to school to study music or stuff like that but music connosseurs talk about the work from La Monte Young, Charlemagne Palestine, Terry Riley, Morton Feldman, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Yoshi Wada, Elaine Radigue etc...I came to this music through the influences mentioned by Thomas Koner, Andrew Chalk, Darren Tate, Brian Eno, etc...I will be honest I don't get it....but that is not to say that I do not like some of it)

On Now:

Monostation - Halftonal - Smallfish
(Nice little grey drone)

Fern

fleabag

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 20, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
(This is one for the armchair and chin strokers....I am by no means academic when it comes to music...I never went to school to study music or stuff like that but music connosseurs talk about the work from La Monte Young, Charlemagne Palestine, Terry Riley, Morton Feldman, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Yoshi Wada, Elaine Radigue etc...I came to this music through the influences mentioned by Thomas Koner, Andrew Chalk, Darren Tate, Brian Eno, etc...I will be honest I don't get it....but that is not to say that I do not like some of it)

;D lol, well put Fern, I'm sure many of us are the same.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1792 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
- Alio Die: Il Tempo Magico Di Saturnia Pavonia  (2003)

Mighty fine piece of work. Very glad I pulled it off the shelf this evening.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »
Go Koyashiki - Slit (mAtter)

Rigid, but also smooth punctures.

Undershadow

« Reply #1794 on: June 23, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
I have a feeling Mr Koyashiki has listened to some Raster-Noton along the way. I'm not sure he's bringing much else to the table.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 23, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
I may be biased, but personally I enjoy this far more than anything I've heard from Raster Noton in quite some time.

While I do enjoy some of their releases, such as NHK, Sakamoto & Noto, Pixel, Ikeda, and Coh, they don't have the repeated listens that mAtter discs have so far, even after only two releases.

Looking forward to Andy Graydon's new release on mAtter as well.

Maybe its just the underdog in me, too.

I have a feeling Mr Koyashiki has listened to some Raster-Noton along the way. I'm not sure he's bringing much else to the table.

Undershadow

« Reply #1796 on: June 23, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »
Yes, clearly you're biased! <grin> Anyway, regardless of the relative merits or otherwise of Koyashiki's release, I have to disagree about recent Raster Noton. In 2008-9 there have been great releases by Alva Noto (Xerrox vol.1 and vol. 2) and Kangding Ray (Automne Fold), to name but three. These have had a more 'harmonised' quality than standard issue R-N - another dimension to some of their earlier stick-figure glitch-funk designs. In the more beat-driven area, the last releases by Byetone and Alva Noto were also very good, and, arguably, R-N has actually developed its sound in the last couple of years to one which is at once more texturally and harmonically rich and more rhythmically visceral - somehow less premised on that whole sort of labcoat-technician-meets-graphic-designer aesthetic on which it made its name initially, while not relinquishing the spirit/ethos of what it stands for.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 24, 2009, 01:18:43 AM »
Very true, I agree on that point.

Yes, clearly you're biased! <grin> Anyway, regardless of the relative merits or otherwise of Koyashiki's release, I have to disagree about recent Raster Noton. In 2008-9 there have been great releases by Alva Noto (Xerrox vol.1 and vol. 2) and Kangding Ray (Automne Fold), to name but three. These have had a more 'harmonised' quality than standard issue R-N - another dimension to some of their earlier stick-figure glitch-funk designs. In the more beat-driven area, the last releases by Byetone and Alva Noto were also very good, and, arguably, R-N has actually developed its sound in the last couple of years to one which is at once more texturally and harmonically rich and more rhythmically visceral - somehow less premised on that whole sort of labcoat-technician-meets-graphic-designer aesthetic on which it made its name initially, while not relinquishing the spirit/ethos of what it stands for.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #1798 on: June 24, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »
Today is all about Deutsch Nepal:

Benevolence, Erosion, Deflagration of Hell, Tolerance, & Comprendido!...  Time Stop.

That should put me in the mood for some accounting.   ;D
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #1799 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
Today

- Flica: Nocturnal 
(2009)
Kinda Last Days + clicky beats. Pretty good stuff.

- Boy Is Fiction: Boy Is Fiction (2007)
Clicky melodic beats, regular beats, noise, piano. Mix of things. Nice delicacy. Opening track is excellent. Fine work overall.

- Rist: Weekend

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans