Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 750932 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2020 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
Oh yeah, Celestial Geometries is my #1 (outer) space album of all time...Atmo Conditions by Roach is way up there as one of his best.

What label is releasing Alio Die live, and when will it be available?

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: October 27, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
i agree Drone On, both the Roach & Oophoi discs are among my very favorites as well!
the Alio Die live CD should be out this year on Nextera, they will also release a live CD by Mathias Grassow at the same time, all recorded from the live show they did in Prague last may. and for next year there might be another Oophoi disc as well.. it's about time he continues releasing his outer space stuff again  8)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:31:23 PM by jim02 »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Quantec - Journey Of Mind - Silent Season - CD-R
(Absolutley essential but stupidly limited to 100 copies...basically it was available for 1 day then sold out.  Should be a repress coming along in a month or two so make sure you get on it...this is ambient and simply that ambient....very icy and cold but warm and dubby in some parts by far his best work)

Daughter Of The Industrial Revolution - Variable Resistance Parts 001-003 - Cotton Goods - 3 CD's
(Let me make the same point once more fantastic packaging and stupidly limited 175 and it was stated that it will never be reissued again...apparently this label makes it a perequisite to never make the music available again after one pressing.  Same situation blink and it's gone within a day...why do this why?)

Mark McGuire - vdsq: Solo Acoustic Volume Two - Vin Du Select Qualitite - 2x12"
(Awesome guitar dressed up in popul vuh and seveties echoplexed guitar drift....totaly awesome and highly reccomended if Emeralds and Oneohtrix Point Never is your thing....mighty mighty music coming out of this trio...)

The Clyde Parker Project - Session #1 - Monolyth Cobalt - 2CD-R)
(My cup of tea...I truly enjoy the sounds of enviroments mixed in with tones and drones....23 remixes or artist taking enviromental sounds provided by the label and then creating music with that in mind.  So far I am impressed and have been introduced to variety of unheard artists: Jednota, Tomaso Azara, Julien Beau, and Kim Kvello)
 That's it for now....

Fern
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:58:48 AM by Ferngerms »

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2023 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
(Let me make the same point once more fantastic packaging and stupidly limited 175 and it was stated that it will never be reissued again...apparently this label makes it a perequisite to never make the music available again after one pressing.  Same situation blink and it's gone within a day...why do this why?)

I wondered if this could function as a possible response to e-piracy of music.  If most people are likely going to download your releases for free, why not limit your hard copies to just enough for your most hardcore fans?

I don't like that idea, myself, since I'm hardly ever so quick on the button to pick these things up before they sell out.  And if you can make 100 that sell out in a day, why not try 300 that sell out in a week?

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2024 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
I don't like that idea, myself, since I'm hardly ever so quick on the button to pick these things up before they sell out.  And if you can make 100 that sell out in a day, why not try 300 that sell out in a week?

The only way this makes sense to me is if you're trying to create a "buzz" by intentionally releasing fewer copies than you have avid fans.  From any other perspective, it's bizarre.  If you can sell 100 copies immediately, why wouldn't the artist AND the label both prefer to create a few more, get the music heard by more people, make some more money, and satisfy more of your listening audience.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2025 on: October 28, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
Maybe he only has time and energy to put together 100 of the things. When they are gone he likely has a new physical release to get working on. The label mainly deals in free download releases rather than physical albums.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: October 30, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
Case in point--the Celer release on Mystery Sea.  I think it sold out in about a week.  Pisses me off I never even got to hear it.  Somebody's selling it on Discogs for 100 Euros.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #2027 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
Case in point--the Celer release on Mystery Sea.  I think it sold out in about a week.  Pisses me off I never even got to hear it.  Somebody's selling it on Discogs for 100 Euros.
Do you want me to give you a download link for it?

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: October 31, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »
Bill Evans, From Left To Right
playing the fender-Rhodes piano and the Steinway piano

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2029 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
This weekend

- Brian McBride: when the detail lost its freedom  (I play this quite regularly. More than STOL stuff. Think I'm attracted to the green of the cover.)
- Fripp n Eno: evening star (good to hear this classic again)
- Northern: Jessa (the mighty fine additional disk that came with Drawn, on Infraction. A bit of brilliance.)

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2030 on: November 03, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
This morning:

Leyland Kirby—Sadly the Future Is No Longer What It Was
This came highly recommended, so I picked up the 3-CD version.  Have to be honest that I am not really connecting with it at all.  I like his work as the Caretaker, but this feels a little too sweet and sugary, especially in the ultra dramatic piano pieces.  On paper the whole William Basinski meets Vangelis schtick sounds great, but I find myself reaching for the skip button an awful lot through this sprawling set of tracks.

Sleepy Town Manufacture & Unit 21—No Traces
Love this one.  The mixture of Biosphere-esque synths and creepy vinyl samples is just right.  There are a lot of talented ambient guys doing work in the former eastern bloc.  I'd love to hear more stuff from that whole "scene."

Bought the new Sight Below 12" EP on Ghostly, which is excellent as usual.  Great music in the style of Wolfgang Voigt's Gas project.  The LP has an excellent Biosphere remix and comes with a digital version that features bonus digital-only remixes by both Eluvium and Simon Scott (ex-Slowdive drummer who's got a new on out on Miasmah).  All great stuff.

I've also got Andrew Chalk's new LP, The Cable House on the way from the UK.  It's always a pleasure to hear new stuff by him—this LP was a little pricey (around $30), but the Faraway Press packaging looks to be lavish as usual.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:11:59 AM by Brian Bieniowski »

solyaris

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 04, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »
Alio Die - Il Tempo Magico di Saturnia Pavonia
Steve Roach, Jeffrey Fayman & Robert Fripp - Trance Spirits
Harold Budd - The Serpen (In Quicksilver)
Tudor Lodge -Tudor Lodge [phearps ...]

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
Steve Roach & Erik Wollo - Stream of Thought

Incoherent album but some of the pieces/fragments are really fantastic

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2033 on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
"Inside" by Anomalous Disturbances.

3rd play this week at work as it has a nice variety of vibes from deep float to chilled grooves.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2034 on: November 09, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
More Anomalous Disturbances at work today.
This time "Archive Two" - no drums - all floating ambience of various natures
in a 2 CD set. Very beautiful and work-enhancing.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2035 on: November 10, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
Recently:

Emeralds—Allegory of Allergies 2LP
Excellent bombed-out synth music.  Kind of like a mixture of Richard Pinhas and some of the newer noisier drone artists.  These guys and Oneohtrix Point Never are terrific.

Keith Berry—A Strange Feather
Wonderful quiet ambience here.  Had a weird experience with the disc.  Bought it from Ear Rational (presumably used) and the disc arrived with full packaging, etc., but no music on the disc.  It had the printing, but apparently had never been burned. ER gave me a full refund and said to keep the disc anyway.  I ended up buying the FLAC files at Twenty Hertz for $7, converting them to WAV, and burning the disc myself.  Never had these kinds of problems in the pre-CDR era, but I won't complain since I got the "hardcopy" for next to nothing.   :-X

Kraftwerk—Ralf und Florian
Just a classic. I hope they get around to remastering and officially releasing the first three Kraftwerk albums within my lifetime.  According to a recent interview, they will be doing so in the near future.  I'm not going to hold my breath.

Fabio Orsi—Audio for Lovers
Have not purchased much Orsi, but this set is great.  I really like his recent one with Seaworthy, too.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2036 on: November 10, 2009, 02:29:20 PM »
Austere "Curio" - A plate of tasty ambience after lunch today.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Oöphoi - Mare Tranquillitatis

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2038 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:11 AM »
Just received two new ones from Experimedia.

ryonkt - small conversations
billy gomberg + offthesky - flyover sound

Between the two I like the Ryonkt disc better.  It's sort of neo-classical drone ambient.  At least that was one description I read & that seems fairly accurate.  It has a sort of delicate, organic feel.  It's only an ep, I wish it were a full cd.  The off-the-sky collab is pretty good.  I'm getting tired of recordings with lots of little sounds/noises, pops, bubbles, twinkling, bright tiny glitches, etc.  There are some nice moments in this disc though.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #2039 on: November 12, 2009, 07:44:49 AM »
Driving to work this morning, I went for Marvin Gaye "Here, My Dear".
I'm at work now, I've got BB King "Why I Sing The Blues" on. 8)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/