Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 828748 times)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:45 PM »
So after Alan's post I thought I'd revisit Paul Bradley's "Chroma" and listen more closely to the elements within. As soon as the disc started I thought "Wait a minute! This is more accurately described as 'loop based' music with a simple repeating half-melody, almost like...William Basinski."

Then I realized...it was William Basinski! So, now playing:

William Basinski: Disintigration Loops IV

I wish Paul and Bill would call each other about cover art! It's like they showed up to the same dinner party in identical black pantsuits! ;)

Undershadow

« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »
This evening

- SleepResearch Facility: Deep Frieze

Images of deep storm rumblings and icy winds blowing masterfully across frozen tundra.
Very listenable, very mellow, very sleepy music.
Real sounds, by a real composer  ;)

Like Anthony, I’ve been listening to SR_F’s Deep_Frieze. He seems to me a soulmate of glacial-cum-chthonic types like Köner, Lull, Netherworld, with occasional leanings towards Biosphere, and the less lush more atonal passages of Roach and Rich. Throw in an Oöphoi there maybe too.

And I do like this somewhat laconic description from the liner notes of his previous release Dead Weather Machine (Manifold): "As an exercise in sample manipulatiom, DWM draws exclusively from source audio generated by swinging a cheap microphone in front of a misfiring heating unit, itself congested with the fibrous dust of advanced decrepitude and exhuming a near death-rattle from its fractured internal respiratory systems."

A kind of mission statement I pulled off a site somewhere:
“About
SleepResearch_Facility explores notions of awareness and perception in the sub/unconcious listener. Focusing primarily on sound bereft of rhythm based energies, SRF(acility)’s goal is to provide listening environments wherein the music simply adds texture to the silence. SRF entertains the idea that music can forgoe notions of compositional architecture, resulting in noise which draws attention away from itself, leaving room for the listener to focus on other things (or, focus on nothing at all). SRF puts emphasis on these aesthetics in the search for a kind of “play me quiet” sound suitable for listening to actively or passively depending on circumstances, creating an aural experience which guides the mind through gentle misdirection rather than forcing its attention, allowing listeners to drift in their own diversified thoughts.”

Also, for the interested, an interview with Kevin Doherty aka SleepResearch_Facility:
http://www.heathenharvest.com/article.php?story=20070927180203617

Undershadow

« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2008, 01:20:10 AM »
So after Alan's post I thought I'd revisit Paul Bradley's "Chroma" and listen more closely to the elements within. As soon as the disc started I thought "Wait a minute! This is more accurately described as 'loop based' music with a simple repeating half-melody, almost like...William Basinski."

Then I realized...it was William Basinski! So, now playing:

William Basinski: Disintigration Loops IV

I wish Paul and Bill would call each other about cover art! It's like they showed up to the same dinner party in identical black pantsuits! ;)

I hadn’t made the Basinski connection, but listening again I can see Mark’s point that this Bradley release has a foot in the loop- as well as the drone-based camp. Interestingly Bradley’s more recent Cede, though having a insistent almost repetitive air to it as if it were looped, actually on more careful listening appears to be a live take, as there are regular and distinct micro-variations that sound like accidental harmonics coming off the action of the fingers (or an ebow?) on/off the guitar strings.

And I reckon Paul wins the darkest pantsuit comp ;-)

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
M. Peck Glacial...love the track "A Past Reflected" with its muted sonar beeps and retro synth swells as well as the percolating rhythms and general cheeriness of "Debris from a Thousand Landscapes" which reminds me of china radio sunshine. Nicely done, Mr. Peck!

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »
Nadja - Ossification

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
This morning

The Winterhouse: Slow Promises

Yep, I of course listen to it regularly :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
Eric Wollo - Dreams of Pyramids
Steve Tibbetts - Safe Journey
Chas Smith - Nakadai
Rudger Lorenz - Southland
Daniel Lentz - On The Leopard Altar
Morton Subotnick - Touch
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
Early evening

- Miles Davis: Porgy and Bess

Summertime could be the best tune ever.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Undershadow

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »
Jonathan Coleclough & Lethe - Long Heat: predominantly a murderous onslaught of filtered drones and field recordings. Ouch!

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »
Early evening

- Miles Davis: Porgy and Bess

Summertime could be the best tune ever.

I love Miles' music and his (and Gill Evans') Porgy and Bess is very highly regarded
but I find Miles' pitch to be regularly off on this recording. Does anybody else notice this?
It regularly puts me off when I listen to this one.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »

I hadn’t made the Basinski connection, but listening again I can see Mark’s point that this Bradley release has a foot in the loop- as well as the drone-based camp.
And I reckon Paul wins the darkest pantsuit comp ;-)

Ah, but you've put the El Camino Real cover beside that of Chroma. Try the Disintigration Loops IV cover and you'll have trouble telling them apart even in a well lit room!

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
I put on Supersilent 8 last night. The first time I listened to it I didn't have time to make it all the way through. Now that I've let it unfold completely on a good sound system I'm once again convinced these guys have a rare ability to pull off a kind of improvised intensity that few can match. A cumulative wallop that puts most improv groups to shame! And the delicacy of Arve Henriksen's voice/trumpet amidst and preceding much cacophony is delicious!

Undershadow

« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:59 PM »
Ah, but you've put the El Camino Real cover beside that of Chroma. Try the Disintigration Loops IV cover and you'll have trouble telling them apart even in a well lit room!

Aha. I see what you mean:

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »
Ballustrade Ensemble - Capsules (really nice instrumental release that falls somewhere bewteen His Name Is Alive and the Album Leaf.  Would be right at home on 4AD.  Scott Solter is involved with this one.)
Mike Tamburo - Language of the Birds and Other Fantasies (beautiful multi-CD with DVD box and elaborate art package with interesting guitar pieces, some more straightforward in a John Fahey style, others more overtly experimental with processed guitar and other sound sources)

Forrest

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
new shipment from the hypnos store - 2 secret sounds, a couple klaus wiese discs, some robin storey and some lustmord! sweet stuff!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
I sprang/sprung (?) for the 5LP Fear Falls Burning set, "Once we all walk through solid objects".  Dirk is getting the remix treatment from Final, Bass Communion, Frieband, Cantu-Ledesma, Aidan Baker and others.  I've made it through 2 LPs so far...the Bass Communion reminds me of something that would've been on their s/t "II" disc.  A wonderful thing.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
I sprang/sprung (?)

I believe it's "spronged!" ;)

Fripp & Eno - "Beyond Even 1992-2006"

Hmmm. I bought this expecting the worst...but am pleasantly surprised. The "bits and pieces" factor wasn't as bad as anticipated and it all hangs together enough. The obvious problem, though, is the limited and too familiar palette (which extends to the Russell Mills cover art as well) If you bought Equatorial Stars and thought "Nice! But not brilliant" you can stop there. If you followed Eno through his "squelchy" period and have actually downloaded all the Fripp "bits and pieces" from the DGM site, this will serve as a proper compendium of sorts. Interesting and worth having for fans.

The "bonus disc" with the first pressing is nothing more than a continuously sequenced version of the main disc...a real waste of petroleum IMO.

Undershadow

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
I sprang/sprung (?) for the 5LP Fear Falls Burning set, "Once we all walk through solid objects".

Have to check out that FFB, Jason. It sounds sprawling :)

In the meantime I've been enjoying the more intimate pastorally-inclined music of Hakobune, and, yep, you guessed, it’s more of those lulling languorous minimalist guitar-scapes that I will insist on droning on about here.

Soundclips to stream at: http://www.u-cover.com/mailorder/description.php?II=4065&UID=2008012020194489.240.83.74&lang=&currency=eur

Other goodies on his myspace player: http://www.myspace.com/hakobunemusic

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »
Jason Sloan - STATIC [thelema.dawning]
i have fallen in love with this piece that jason sent me ..... its like you would
take the best from Steve Roach's Space Ambient Music and mix it with Vidna Obmana's
more atmospheric works and add a big portion of originality

i couldn't be happier to release this Work on my Label :)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
Jason Sloan seems to me to be on a bit of a roll lately.  But he was supposed to send me some CDs to sell on the Hypnos store and they never arrived yet.  Maybe building his mystique by keeping everything difficult-to-find?  ;)
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions