Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 787019 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2220 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
Igneous Flame - Satu

lovely stuff...
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2221 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »
Lusruta-- Transparent Obscurity-- really cool dark ambient
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2222 on: January 23, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
Rich and Lustmord-- Stalker. The "controversial" album. Still sounds neat, but pretty tame compared to a lot I've heard.
Lots of Noisettes tapes from a package of 12 sent my way
Austere-- Pulse
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2223 on: January 25, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
Vidna Obmana-- Echoes Of Steel. Very pretty. Effervescent yet somehow medieval, like a lot of his stuff, imo.

More Noisettes tapes. Love 'em.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2224 on: January 25, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »
Tu M' - Monochromes Vol 1 - one of my absolute favorites from 2009
Jan Jelinek - loop finding jazz records - an "old" favorite from 2001
Underworld vs. the Misterons - athens - an interesting mix album from last year

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
Mystified - Primal Mystification (some nice subterranean vibes from Thomas)

Viridian Sun - Infinite In All Directions (like this one quite a bit; would fit right in with the Symphonies of the Planets CD; the sound of supernovas quietly imploding)

Carl Weingarten/Walter Whitney - Dreaming In Colors (my friend Carl's reissue of a mid-80s album of pleasant guitar + keyboard vignettes; very Frippish in places)

Forrest

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 28, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
As of late....

Ian Martin - Defused Nights - Strange Life Records - CD-R
(It seems more and more electronic artists continue to look towards that past for inspiration...similarities with Steve Moore, Steve Hauschuildt, and dare I say Cluster...)

Mono-Poly - Atlantic Storm - Strange Life - CD-R
(I can imagine many not liking this album...perhaps more on the experimental edge of electronic ambient spheres...I will admit at first I was dissapointed...but after a few weeks I have yet to touch the eject button...very interesting stuff and great way to break away from all the drone, sequencer, glitchy, electro acoustic, folksy, dubby ambient of these days...)

Matrix Metals - Flamingo Breeze - Olde English Spelling Bee
(Total recal of the 80's credit scences music outros...actually I find it to be brilliant...but by the end of this year I hope we start exploring new realms because three years ago it was cool listening to Ducktails, Oneohtrix Point Never, Caboladies, James Ferraro, Emeralds, Monopoly Child Star Searchers, Steve Moore, Dolphins Into The Future...don't get me wrong I still do but I am noticing a huge glut of stuff coming and passing)

1958 - 2009 II - Ekhein - Cassette
(Cream of the crop ambient drift...I like this stuff on cassette with all it's lo-fi hiss...highly highly reccomended to those who liked Alva Noto's Xerox 1 & 2 and Tu M' Monochromes)

Infinite Body - S/T - Ekhein - Cassette
(Remember the Bird Traps from weeks ago....in comes Infinite body with some lovely lo-fi fuzziness...)

Mirror To Mirror - Heart - Ekhein - Cassette
(Imagine SOTL on cassette with a few imperfections circa "The Tired Sounds Of The Lid" period...lovely stuff will probably loop these four tracks tonight for some sound sleep)

Sean McCann - Lower Decks - Ekhein - Cassette
(Long live cassettes!!!!!)

Golden Retriever - Static Rain - Gift Tapes - Cassette
(Missed the Root Strata release...I told myself to buy the freakin album but decided to go about town grab some dinner watch a movie and once I came home a little after 1AM...no more available!  What a pisser but did not miss this one and I am very glad indeed...a bit strange but quite cool)

Tuluum Shimmering - In The Great Swamp You Were Conceived - Rotifer - Cassette
(Cool synth ambient hemispheres....very repetitive but lulling none the less....)

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 30, 2010, 01:31:04 AM »
A day full of....

Black Eagle Child/Seasons (pre-din) - Split (Untitled Each Song Has A Title) - Self-Released - 2X3" CD-R + Bonus 3" for first 25 peeps
(Limited to a measly 100 copies...just got around to listening to these pieces even though it was released back in July???? Looks as if the Seasons is providing more of an electro-acoustic sound source to these pieces....the enviromental sounds are present but perhaps more in the background along with some shortwave radio...and on the other hand Black Eagle Child provides some distinctively soundint stuff although a little rough on the edges...I would like to point out that this artist is developing a sound for himself....sure the comparisons can be made but it seems the artist has gone beyond them)

Stephen Vitiello + Molly Berg - Gorilla Variations - 12k - CD
(Folksy droney sound sources imbue this limited album...does'nt fall anywhere short of the Solo Andata album by the way....we have dogs, gesse, cars, sirens, hums, and all forms of instruments on display here)

Gareth Davis & Machinefabriek - Ghost Lanes - Self-Released - 3" CD-R
(I have mixed feelings about this release....as a dedicated fan of all things Machinefabriek I will admit I felt this one was the worst of the 2009 batch....well your bound to go wrong somewhere when you release something every month...the trumpet samples work only in the last 11 minutes of this 23 minute piece...so it is...so it is....although were getting off to a great start this year with Slovesenko, Nerf, and The breathing Bridge)

Moth Electret - Tocansen - Diophantine - CD
(It's taken me about five months to warm up to this album...definetly not one for headphones...perhaps why I had such a hard time appreciating this release...what sounded muddled to me on the headphones sounded so damm great in an open space...hi-five for this local label!!!)

Adam Pacione - Ferro Organ - Bee Eater - 3" CD-R (Subscription)
(First off...has anyone received the bonus disc that was due out in December?  I signed up for the 2010 batch because not only were the drones some of the best in 2009....I failed to receive two discs that the artist replaced within weeks...pretty cool and can't wait for the next batch)

On now as I type....
Paul Vnuk - Silence Speaks In Shadows - Hypnos - CD
(Definetly one of the best Ambient albums of all time...like Biosphere's Substrata the use of enviromental sounds is so perfect and balanced it transports you everytime you close your eyes...)

Fern

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 31, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »
Vidna Obmana - The Trilogy  I bought this boxed set years ago based on a review I read. I listened to it once and it didn't really do anything for me. I put it away and almost sold it when I heard what they were selling for awhile back. I decided to listen to it again today on a whim. What an amazing piece of music! I've listened to it twice today and I'm sure I'll hear it again tomorrow! It's funny how pieces of music don't always click with us and then at another time totally capture us.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

abasio

• comatose hallucination connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
Vidna Obmana - The Trilogy  I bought this boxed set years ago based on a review I read. I listened to it once and it didn't really do anything for me. I put it away and almost sold it when I heard what they were selling for awhile back. I decided to listen to it again today on a whim. What an amazing piece of music! I've listened to it twice today and I'm sure I'll hear it again tomorrow! It's funny how pieces of music don't always click with us and then at another time totally capture us.

Indeed, in fact I think most of my long term favourites were that way. I didn't really like them at first but after shelving them and coming back at a later date I loved them so much. A lot of the music that impresses me straight away does not stay with my very long.

np

Viridian Sun - Infinite In All Directions :)

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
I agree completely with Ferngerms.Vnuk Silence on Hypnos is in my top 5 all time ambient,just like Substrata (my #1).Unlike Substrata (more of a film with chapters),I wish Silence would go on forever,perfect blend of rain and environmental with electronics.

Today;
John Broaddus-4 at 18,got this many years ago-like it says 4 tracks of 18 min.long drone pieces with a bit of a cinematic sound.
Round 1 to Round 5 Comp-11 tracks by Rhythm and Sound in their Basic Channel sound,featuring Tikiman.
POP Ambient 2010-always nice,my fav of the last several years in the series,Dettinger track cool,of course Voight too.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2231 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Rapoon-- D-Lem. Darned good! Very nice.
Arecibo-- funny dark space tunes from Lustmord.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2232 on: February 01, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
Sans Serif-- Tones For LaMonte. This one is really growing on me.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 02, 2010, 01:19:14 AM »
Today:
Celer - Four Pieces/ Two - Smallfish - 3" CD-R
(Immersive composition!  Might be my favorite of the four pieces...kind fo dissapointed they did not release all four as one album...I guess they made the most out of all four pieces...pretty much each one after shipping from the UK cost me about $12...so a grand total of $48 for all four pieces :'()

Andrew Paine - After Wednesday - Dust, Unsettled - CD-R
(Nice melancholy Harold Buddesque piano loops and enviromental sounds)

Adam Pacione - A Delicate Giant - Bee Eater - 3" CD-R
(Brooding piece....perhaps the most bleak of the subscription series. A little hiss and static everynow and then but overall an exceptional piece for the genre)

David Parsons - Earthlight - Celestial Harmonies - CD
(Always been a fan of David's work...I feel that at the moment the man is churning out some of his best work yet.  Although my favorite album has been "Yatra"..."Surya" and "Jyoti" fall nowhere short of quality...perhaps Yatra has all the nostalgia and such)

At The Moment:
Maps & Diagrams - The Giant Woods - Yuki Taki - Free Net-Release
(Oh and pretty freaking awesome!!!!!  I love it when awesome music is available for free)

Fern

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2234 on: February 02, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »
Maps & Diagrams - The Giant Woods - Yuki Taki - Free Net-Release
(Oh and pretty freaking awesome!!!!!  I love it when awesome music is available for free)

Many thanks for the info Fern. Big fan of M&Diagrams.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: February 04, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »
Today:
Steve Roach - 2009 Box... - Timeroom/Projekt
(After listening to the samples before I purchased the album I was confident "Destination Beyond" would be the best of the three...after months of listening I am suprised to say that "Immersion:Four" is the most pleasant thing i've heard from Roach in the last few years...even though the other two albums have more overall activity...the "#4" is so damm beautiful and lulling)

Level - Cycla - Spekk - CD
Level - Shimmer - Polymorphic - Net-Release
Level - Shalan - Polymorphic - Net-Release
(It is absolutley criminal that "Shimmer" and "Shalan" are available as only 128 kpbs...these two releases have stood the test of time and must be re-issued on CD not CD-R.  Was very happy and when Cycla was eventually released on CD but dumbfounded that the other two never made it...even at 128 kpbs both of these albums are brilliant...)

Fern

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2236 on: February 04, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »
Another thank you to Fern for the heads up on Maps & Diagrams, it is indeed awesome.

Also listening to:
Nest - Retold
Shaula - Haze

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2237 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
Rapoon--

"Fires Of The Borderlands". My favorite of his.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: February 05, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
Over the lastfew weeks:-

Disturbed Earth -  Thoughts of the Sleepless

Mathias Grassow - Transpersonal

Igneous Flame/Achromus - Halo

Seren Ffordd - Stellar Nurseries

Steve Brand - Circular Scriptures
 :) :)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: February 05, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Pete Namlook & Bill Laswell - Psychonavigation 2

One of my favorites. Tracks 2 & 3 are absolutely fantastic.