Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 806116 times)

Ferngerms

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2260 on: February 14, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »

Canyons! - Trapdoor/Diamonds - hellosQuare - 3" CD-R
(Contemplative circular guitar drifts....a label that I have spent exploring most of last year and tracking down it's most ambient moments.  Similarities can be made but I do think this group or artist has his or her own unique way of composing these blissful drones)

Feu Follet - Paradis Paysan - Greunrekorder - CD-R
(Enviromental ambient....somewhat similiar to the stuff of "description without place" on dataobscura.  Maybe a little dronier but meditative none the less.  Have not heard much from this artist and I am inspecting his new release on Tosom...)

Phillip Dickau - This City, And You - Self-Released - CD-R
(Nice album from this artist I bumped into through myspace...I spend a few hours everynow and then on myspace searching for artist unheard of and this has to be one of the best treasures I have encountered....at times like this I feel like I should invest some money into starting a label...the music is somewhere between ambient, kosmiche, and drones.  Yes I know typical formula but an artist that delivers a punch.)

Obfusc/David Tagg - Spilt - Install - 2x3" CD-R
(Obfusc disc is pleasant piano keys distored and elongated....as for David's side I found to be one of his most boring drones yet...well he does release a lot of music and I support all of it but this one I just could not get into)

Peter Cusack - Favorite Beijing Sounds - Kwan Yin - CD
(Nice field recordings...two sides of China are present on this disc....the cultural heritage that is decline and the hungry beast that seeks to become the worlds economic superpower.  Some of the traditional sounds are incredible...I really like the one with the Bamboo flute tied to the pigeons leg...very cool)

Fabio Orsi - I'm Here E.P - Self Released - CD-R
(Very early release from Fabio Orsi that was limited to thirty copies...got mine from Eclipse records a while back but pulled it out for a listen and a few songs have charm but a few should stay in obscurity...essential for the fans of Orsi but stay away if your not)

Fern

abasio

• comatose hallucination connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
Today's listening

Juno Reactor - Luciana
I really like this track, I get the feeling of being on a train labouring up a mountain passing failed civilisations before finally transcending into darkness.

Spielerei & Mantacoup - Wichman & Other Pieces
Some nice ambient here, smattering of beats, interesting rhythms and melodic lines.

Mathias Grassow & Jiri Mazanek - Inner Path
A really spacey atmosphere created by earthy sounds. I get the feeling of watching the formation of a distant star system from the comfort of a warm field.

Robert Davies - Gallery Of Spirits
Some great moody ambient here, a little darker than his previous albums (or those I own anyway) and very descriptive.

Brian Eno - Music For Airports
Never quite understood what people see in this album. I gave it another try to see what I was missing but I just don't see it as anything other than the background muzak it was designed as.

Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Much better ambient classic. Listened to the re-release on Revisted records with the bonus track which I really like and sounds almost religious to me.

Brock Van Wey - White Clouds Go On And On
Some very lush warm ambient perfect for letting me drift off into a lucid dream. :)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2262 on: February 15, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Listening to a batch of netlabel stuff I downloaded over the weekend.

now:  CELL - Hanging Masses

a few others from my twitter posts this morning:

jkn: Lucette Bourdin - Radiant Stars. Lovely ambient. First time I've listened to a full album of hers, won't be last. lbourdin.com #nowplaying

jkn: Saito Koji - Candle. Drone. Dddrrroooonnne. My verdict is still out on this one. Not bad. Not great. Could grow on me. #nowplaying #netlabel

jkn: Periskop - circle(125) just downloaded, 1st listen, enjoying it. Minimal beats. Harder minimal synth lines. @periskopcc #nowplaying

note:  Periskop is Danny Kreutzfeldt/sgnl_fltr/etc...

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: February 16, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
Lately....

Soccer Commitee & Machinefabriek - Redrawn: Remix And Covered - Machinefabriek Music
(Had high hopes for this album as it featured a variety of key artists such as Taylor Deupree, Steinbruchel, Lawrence English, Fun Years, Peter Broderick, and Xela.  In the end I found cerftain remixes or covers to be very dissapointing...a total of 20 tracks with on 10 successful moments....)

V/A - Last Winter We Didn't Sing - Thor's Invisible Hammer - CD
(Features some tracks from Fabio Orsi, Chartreuse, Nicholas Szczepanik, Scott Tuma...etc...however that is all to speak of...the other moments feature folksy, experimental, and improvisational average tunes.  It only cost 6 dollars but the Fabio Orsi and Nicholas Szczpanik moments made it worth it...)

Seaworthy/M. Rosner - Split - hellosQuare - 3" CD-R
(Nice eviromental drone moments from Seaworthy....but unbearable sine tone drones from M. Rosner...a bit pricey for only 8 minutes of music from Seaworthy...)

Gianluca Beccuzzi & Fabio Orsi - Please Don't Count The Clouds - 3x3" CD-R's
(Super limited release from 2007 but for me the best moment from either artist....three long pieces one from each and one collab....the collab piece is my favorite...this from what I remember was one of the best from 2007)

Meursault - Sleeping Debris - Eagle And Serpent Imprint - CD-R
(Amazing release from this musician that hails out of Scotland...another incredibly limited album...it should be a crime to print so few copies of such brilliant music...probably the best out there that toots the electro acoustic ambient horn...lucky for many you can find this available for free through those infamous blogs...)

Hildur Gudnadottir - Without Sinking - Touch - CD
(Currently on track 7 and have loved every moment as of yet...should of spent more time with this album last year)

Fern

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 16, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
(Super limited release from 2007 but for me the best moment from either artist....three long pieces one from each and one collab....the collab piece is my favorite...this from what I remember was one of the best from 2007)

Fern

Fabio Orsi--there's one guy who oversaturated the market with his ambient releases.  His work on Please Don't Clouds is probably among my favorites of his, too.  Haven't liked too much of what he's released more recently--at least, since his Audio For Lovers compilation (which had some very good pieces on it, too).

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2265 on: February 17, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »
The brilliant thing about a forum like this is what Forrest just said...   "Fabio Orsi--there's one guy who oversaturated the market with his ambient releases."   

Humorously - I've hever heard of Fabio Orsi. 

;-)

np: Underworld - Dark & Long e.p.

was:  Orbital - Brown
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 17, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »
The brilliant thing about a forum like this is what Forrest just said...   "Fabio Orsi--there's one guy who oversaturated the market with his ambient releases."   

Humorously - I've hever heard of Fabio Orsi. 

;-)

Maybe I should have qualified that last comment.  I'm talking about the number of releases (some 10-15 in the last 2-3 years).  No, you won't see a Fabio Orsi CD at Best Buy.  John, I'd have to say that you're at the other end of the spectrum.  When's your next one?

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2267 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
Forrest - I might be slower than you are on releasing!   Grin!  ;-)

I have every plan to release a brand spanking new album called "08.09.10" - and is celebrating my return to recording after 5 years of not hitting the "record" button - and also my 40th birthday.   This will be on my new label:   http://relaxedmachinery.com

I also have another project in mind titled "Mercury Drops" - which would be sometime in 2011.   That's just a title and a feel in my head at this point - nothing recorded...  so basically - title could change, etc. etc...

I've been knee deep in launching Relaxed Machinery - just released Steve Brand - and have upcoming releases by Chris Russell, Bob Ohrum, and Beta Cloud in 2010.

I took such an amazingly long break after the death of my father-in-law.    Not the first time - after the death of my mom in 1992... I pretty much didn't do anything with music until 1996.   It's weird - I still play piano and tinker with bass - just don't feel the urge to hit record.   I have tons of scraps of ideas in my head waiting to come out.

John

np:  Palancar - Momerath

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 17, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »

Fern

Fabio Orsi--there's one guy who oversaturated the market with his ambient releases.  His work on Please Don't Clouds is probably among my favorites of his, too.  Haven't liked too much of what he's released more recently--at least, since his Audio For Lovers compilation (which had some very good pieces on it, too).

Forrest
Absolutley...but let's give him credit for that.  I remember sometime early in 2009 on his myspace page he commented on how it was time to rethink his releasing agenda.  As if he knew he released too much stuff...thus in 2009 he released a total of 3 albums and two of those were coloborations with you guesed it Valerio Cosi and Gianlucca Beccuzzi.....the other was a split with Seaworthy that was of very high quality it actually took me back to "Please Don't Count The Clouds"....oh and he released another piece with Gregg Kowalsky on a 8x3" Box set on Peasant Magick I have yet to delve into....but looking forward to it since it's Kowalsky and Orsi how could one go wrong with a colab of that magnitude....

Now on:
Strategy - Awareness Is Fruit - Under The Spire - 3"

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 18, 2010, 01:57:43 AM »
Fabio Orsi--now here's a guy who vacillates between heavenly, gorgeous droneworks like "Before Long, Before Anyone, the Stars will be Walls in My Mind" or "The Wild Light of the Moon" or "Near and Faraway" (w/Seaworthy) and grating noise (most of "Audio for Lovers").  But will have to investigate this other one you speak so highly of Forrest and Ferngerms... 

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #2270 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
I've got into this weird phase where I don't want to listen to ambient or electronic music. Don't know why this is, it is alien to me. Been listening to folk and classical of other cultures...Chinese, Indian, and Persian music, and a lot of European medieval. I'm imagining that I'll find the key that gets me back in to ambient at some point.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2271 on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »
I've got into this weird phase where I don't want to listen to ambient or electronic music. Don't know why this is, it is alien to me. Been listening to folk and classical of other cultures...Chinese, Indian, and Persian music, and a lot of European medieval. I'm imagining that I'll find the key that gets me back in to ambient at some point.

Funny, I'm in a similar place...  Lately, I've been listening to lots of crusty rock - Bardo Pond, Gay Witch Abortion, A Place to Bury Strangers, The Heads, Skullflower...  loud rock with a loose, sloppy, on-the-edge-of-control vibe.  Yummy!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
lately...

Infinite Body - CMBCMEINAPTD - Teenage Teardrops - 12"
(Nice twisted hazed out drones....comes with an MP3 ticket as well.  Have been folowing this artist around since 2007 and his sound has been evolvng and getting better with each release.  Just picked up his CD on Post Present Medium "Carve Out The Face of My God" will give that a spin soon....but excellent clear 12" for those that care....if you get the chance you can check him out live as he seems to tour a little and gurantee a better show than Tim Hecker ...)

Seaworthy - 1897 - 12k - CD
(Nice drones and decent instrumental folk....kind of don't know what to expect from track to track as he goes drone, field recordings, folk , field recording, drone, drone,...makes the album sort of unsettling)

James Stephen Finn - The Antique Metronome - Cotton Goods - 3" CD-R
(Gorgeous processed piano loops...I take this release to be the worst of the bunch that this label has to offer and it is simply gorgeous which speaks to the quality that this label is all about along with top notch packaging although a new label by the name of "Second Language" will challenge that!!!check out the Dollboy release here...http://www.secondlanguagemusic.com/releases.html

Billy Gomberg - Days - The Land Of - CD-R
(Kind of started off as typical drone material but tracks: 3, 4, and 5!  Really nice enviromental soundscapes...I suppose it still drones but it has more atmosphere and some vocals that add to the overall murkiness and depth of the album....nice although I was very dissapointed with his release on mOAR "Comme" which sounded five years to late...sounded like early 12k glitch and post down the hill Mille Plateaux material....this on the other hand is nice very nice)

Fern

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #2273 on: February 18, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
Recent purchases and old favorites:

Alio Die—Music Infinity Meets Virtues
Really great live set encompassing a few different Alio Die eras.  Though I have all of the rest of his catalog, the tracks I'm familiar with still seem fresh.  The digipak photography is particularly nice on this one—would have been a great concert to attend.

Aglaia—Reverberant Skies
Some really nice tone float ambient on this one.  I have the other two new Aglaia discs, but no opportunity to play them yet.  I think the mastering discussion on the Forum must be rubbing off on me.  This sounds really flat to me, as with some other ambient releases I have known, and may have benefitted with better production.

O Yuki Conjugate—Undercurrents (In Dark Water)
Definitely one of my favorite OYC discs, and it's been a long time since I've played it.  I was trying to decide if I wanted to shell out the $100 for their new LP retrospective box.  I think I do. :)

Yui Onodera—Le Jardin
Celer—All At Once Is What Eternity Is
I tried these two 3" CDRs on Taalem for the heck of it.  The Celer is really nice (as usual) and the Onodera is pretty good.  I thought the Onodera was a little quiet for my tastes, but the drones are similar to Rhizome, which I like a lot.

Tangerine Dream—Green Desert
I don't care when this was really made.  My favorite T-Dream album after Rubycon.

Moon Wiring Club—An Audience of Art Deco Eyes
Kind of like a mix of Geogaddi era Boards of Canada and the guys on Ghost Box like Belbury Poly.  I'm really enjoying this one.

Lovesliescrushing—Girl. Echo. Suns. Veils.
Awesome box set by this super underrated group.  One disc of rare tracks and demos, and another one of unbelievably good guitar ambient from the mid-nineties.  This latter disc is the gem, standing easily alongside most stuff done these days.  Comes in a nice wooden box stuffed with faux feathers.  Unfortunately, this one sold out rather quickly at the label ...

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #2274 on: February 20, 2010, 03:06:40 AM »
DoomVS: Dead Words Speak = FANTASTIC release for a 2nd album
Daargard - The Dissolution of Eternity - great neo-classical/ambient/darkwave (maybe stuff, I still love Eternity Rites as my fav of their 4 releases)
God Dethroned - Passiondale (another great release from these dutch death/black metallers)

Do look into them if you are adventurous.

Mike

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2275 on: February 20, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
roedelius - lustwandel
relmic statute - morning tapes
chihei hatakeyama - ghostly garden
billy gomberg & offthesky - flyover sound

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Andrew Chalk - The Cable House (very happy to see released on CD, as the limited vinyl disappeared rather quickly.  Comparable to Goldfall, but I like it even a bit more.)

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 21, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
Good to know about this new Andrew Chalk.  Goldfall is probably my favorite of his releases.  Do you know about this artist Robert Haigh, whose CD is being sold on the Faraway Press site (although I don't think it's a FP release)? Haven't been able to find any samples..

Been on a Spyra kick of late. Currently:

January in June
My Little Garden of Sounds
High Phidelity

Wish I could attend that Spyra show in NJ!!!

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #2278 on: February 21, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
Kammarheit - Asleep And Well Hidden

Terrak

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
1. Aura Seminalis - By Alio Die
 - Wonderful album released in 2008. Chants interfused with deep droning horns and other elements.

2. Satori - Thom Brennan
  - A 1 hour, 11 minute ambient soundworld. It's a warm drone that you can lose yourself in.

3. Under An Ancient Sky - Coyote Oldman
  - Native american flute combined with beds of reverbed sound. An incredible album. Very peaceful and undeniably ambient.

4. Treasure - David Helpling and Jon Jenkins
  - If you haven't heard this masterpiece, do so. It is dynamic, melodic, and powerful stuff. The song "The Knowing" (track 3)
    is timeless, and never loses its strength even after repeated listenings.