Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 797451 times)

Robert Logan

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2300 on: March 04, 2010, 05:10:32 AM »
I'm currently listening to Dynamic Stillness and the Live at Grace Cathedral album.

I'm really enjoying the live album, even if much of it consists of tracks I already own in studio form, but for some reason Dynamic Stillness isn't clicking with me yet. I really want it to, especially because of the stunning artwork and beautiful digipack layout, but it neither whisks me away like his other releases have done, nor works when I listen more 'closely'. I think I prefer disc 2 to the first one, so maybe I should stick to that one for now (though it does seem to have some weird hissing artifacts on tracks 2 and 3 - has anyone else noticed those? Perhaps they are deliberate). That repeating sequence in the very first 40 minute track ('Birth of Still Places') is really exhausting to get through!

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:56 AM »
recently played Landmass and On this Planet....found myself really enjoying On the Planet, but like you say, wanting to like Landmass more than I was doing......

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2302 on: March 04, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
some music related twitter posts:   ( http://twitter.com/jkn )

jkn: Relaxed Machinery news: Rereleasing my Temporal Arc album. Followed by Chris Russell - Frozen, and Bob Ohrum - Elevated later in June.

jkn: Chris Russell - Frozen . Listening to the newly mastered version. Wonderful! Artwork, promo, etc will all get underway now for release.

jkn: Isan - Lucky Cat . thin focused lines with almost no extraneous layers. lovely analog feel to it all. #nowplaying #ambient

jkn: Dj Justes - Time Space & Etcetera ... A nice slice of 90's dnb/jungle for the drive to/from work today. #nowplaying @iamshimone

jkn: Autechre - Cichlisuite. I like this era of Ae a lot. 2nd disc of Tri++ is my ultimate favorite (garbage/anvil vapre ep's). #nowplaying

jkn: Sometimes I wish I carried my camera at all times. Sometimes I wish I carried my minidisc recorder at all times. I do neither. #iwish

jkn: Loscil - Triple Point. Such a good album. A perfect morning project planning / edi mapping / coffee sipping album. #nowplaying @_loscil_

jkn: Cabaret Voltaire - Code. Takes me back! I really need to rip Crackdown from vinyl. Also played Int'l Language after conv w/ @timhumphrey45

jkn: RT thank you!!! @hiddenplace: really nice deep ambient album on @jkn 's label relaxedmachinery.com/?page_id=144

jkn: Supergrass and Blur albums spinning. I think I'll have a fairly rare afternoon coffee. Work induced headache.

jkn: The Wonder Stuff - Never Loved Elvis: I've always had a fondness for this one. Used to cover Don't Let Me Down, Gently years ago #nowplaying

jkn: Two Lone Swordsmen - Stay Down ... A bit 'o late 90's Warp music for EDI mapping. #nowplaying

jkn: Realized this morning that a completely checked promo package put up for download did in fact have minor, but amazingly irritating errors.

jkn: Jason Sloan - The Space Between Beginnings . subtle minimal slow texture evolving delicate calm #ambient #nowplaying @minimalspace

jkn: Happily breathing easier last couple days. After week+ of fairly annoyingly bad #asthma I'm happy to not be thinking about air for a while.

jkn: dreamSTATE - A Decade Dreaming. My first spin on this one. Excellent so far. #ambient #ambientmusic #netlabel @pingthings

jkn: Drexciya - Neptune's Lair : time for a bit 313 happiness in my cube at work. Bring on the handclaps. #nowplaying

jkn: blue canary in the socket by the light switch who watches over you, build a little birdhouse in your soul. #nowplaying

jkn: Listening to a new album by Beta Cloud that just utterly blows me away. We'll be releasing on Relaxed Machinery soon. #ambient @iambetacloud

jkn: The Verve E.P. - Bob O. told me I was totally missing out only having "Urban Hymns" - he was oh so right. Bought the ep and Storm In Heaven.

jkn: Promo pack for Steve's "Circular Scriptures" is *finally* done. It's the first release for Relaxed Machinery. Took me awhile to get right.

jkn: Roadtrip music: Thievery Corp - Mirror Conspiracy, The Sopranos s/t, Brian Eno - On Land, Jill Scott - Who is?, David Sylvian - Ev/Nothing

jkn: Rufus Wainwright - "Beautiful Child" - I can't enough say how wonderful this song is. #songsthatmoveme

jkn: Elvis Costello - "Beyond Belief" - this wall of words song has always made me hit repeat when listening. #songsthatmoveme

jkn: Pan Sonic - "Ensi" into "Vaihtovirta" on the Aaltopiiri album. There's something magically perfect about "Vaihtovirta". #songsthatmoveme

jkn: Vidna Obmana and Asmus Tietchens - "4th Theme" ... fantastic uplifting slowly building song that I can listen to on repeat. #songsthatmoveme

jkn: Jill Scott - "It's Love" - just listening to this, always, always puts me in a good mood. #songsthatmoveme

jkn: New blog post about a review of Beta Cloud - Lunar Monograph at ElectroAmbient Space on my blog: relaxedmachinery.com @iambetacloud

jkn: David Sylvian - "Let The Happiness In" on the drive to work. Sometimes a song is in the perfect place at the perfect time as the sun rises.

jkn: Basic Channel - pretty much the whole catalog. Love this stuff, can't get enough. #nowplaying #minimaltechno

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2303 on: March 04, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

- Spyra: My little garden of sounds (spyra at his best imho)
- Pub: Summer
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:11 AM »
Vidna Obmana - Crossing the Trail

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: March 05, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »
Jorge Reyes, Mort Aux Vaches, felt like getting a healthy dose of electronic shamanism this morning

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 06, 2010, 12:35:14 AM »
FERN: I thought I was into obscure...never heard of about 80% of the stuff you list.  How do you find the time??? Always a fun read, though...

SEREN: Why didn't you listen to music for 17 years??? I cannot go for 17 minutes w/out it.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: March 06, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
I totally agree about Dynamic Stillness by Roach. Left me colder than a witch's teat.  Artwork: A, Music: C. I'm not buying Grace Cathedral--previously released music mostly, and mostly not even truly "played live"--more a "performance" of previously recorded in a studio BACKING TRACKS. How dynamic is that? This release seems totally pointless to me.  Oh how I long for the heady days of 1993 when it was as "on the edge" as you can get...

APK: Agreed about Spyra's "My Little Garden," gives "Phonehead" a run for its money.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: March 07, 2010, 01:14:50 AM »
Barry Cleveland - Hologramatron (a departure for Barry, intense, with a rockish edge in a Crimson vein, and politicized lyrics that are front and center.  I like it, though folks may be split on it because of its edge and political theme.  I have a 8-minute ambient remix on it that is included as one of the bonus tracks. On MoonJune records, a prog/avant label)

Forrest

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Listening to a Mister Vapor track ("Trackless Depths") on Stillstream.com. Very spacey and uncluttered.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: March 08, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
FERN: I thought I was into obscure...never heard of about 80% of the stuff you list.  How do you find the time??? Always a fun read, though...

Yes, you are absolutley right I have no life.....I spend an enormous amount of time listening to music?  At least someone enjoys my ramblings and non-sense...at the moment I have enough unwrapped music to last me for the next 8 months if I listen to one CD a day....very very bad of me as I have reached a point where sometimes I just don't enjoy the music....but then again if you don't buy it...then you are screwed in the end.  You know exactly what I mean....for example did you see the new release from Celer "Rags Of Discontentment"....Digitalis removed it from the website within hours as they sold out...see what I mean...it sucks becuase good ears loose in the end sometimes.

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: March 08, 2010, 02:40:26 AM »
Spent a lot of time in my musical chamber these last few evenings immersed in some deep stuff......

Eleh - "Floating Frequencies / Intuitive Synthesis I"
         "Floating Frequencies / Intuitive Synthesis II"
         "Floating Frequencies/ Intuitive Synthesis III"
(Absurdley priced pieces of vinyl.....Are they good????? Perhaps.....Honestly I bought these on a whim a few years ago as I had this feeling in my stomach...I got each for around $14 bucks and now they fetch $100 to $200 dollars????  Honestly invest your money in Andrew Chalk and related drones...nothing bad on these but they are far more academic...as these pieces are in homage to "La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Eliane Radigue or Pauline Oliveros" and word has it no one know's who this artist actually is?  Perhaps the reason why this music is so damm expensive....From what I have heard I believe this artist to be...."Greg Davis"...not because he is the only artist to release a split vinyl with ELEH....the music is very similiar...watch this space as I think a few releases are going to fetch an enormous amount of money if you buy them now...Greg Davis "Primes" and Sun Circle "Sun Circle" LP....just a feeling like the same one I had when I bought the ELEH stuff....sucks for people as the music will remain elusive and virtually unheard as it was mostly released on vinyl)     

Fern 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:27 AM »
Vidna Obmana - The Contemporary Nocturne.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2313 on: March 08, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Loscil's Endless Falls is helping me through physio quite nicely. No departures though, and I think Dan Bejar's vocal contribution is as disruptive and unnecessary as Sylvian's is on both Fennesz's Black Sea and Arve Henriksen's Cartography

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »

....for example did you see the new release from Celer "Rags Of Discontentment"....Digitalis removed it from the website within hours as they sold out...see what I mean...it sucks becuase good ears loose in the end sometimes.

Fern

If you'd still like a copy of that, Mimaroglu bought 50 copies for their store, and haven't yet listed them for sale.

If anyone is interested in being updated as soon as possible for Celer-related things, the best way is getting on the mailing list, as I try to update things as soon as possible. Just pm me about that, happy to help.

Thank you for the interest, it is special.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
charlemagne palestine live @ eglise saint-francois, lausanne...some great multi-textured organ drones

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »
Vidna Obmana - The Surreal Sanctuary, not listened to this for a while and had not remembered how dreamy it is...

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2317 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »
Vidna Obmana - The Surreal Sanctuary, not listened to this for a while and had not remembered how dreamy it is...

That's on my all time favorites list.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2318 on: March 12, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
Starting the evening with

- Kraftwerk: Tour De France

Brilliant album. And it reminds me that as every day goes by
we draw nearer to the actual Tour de France !   8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: March 12, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
cold oblivion skirting

thomas koner | nuuk
vehelentor | dyatlov pass (reissue)
exuviae | amenesiascape
matt borghi | the phantom light