Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 818048 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2500 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »

chubby wolf - ornitheology
(absolutely gorgeous in every way, very moving. this kind of sound is right up my very alley, why the hell they put this out on cassette?????)

vikki jackman - whispering pages
(re-visiting this one after Joe R's recent Chalk obsession, he should check out this one!)

I'll never understand why they release things on cassette! Why not bring back 8-tracks too? ...or those primitive brittle plastic coasters that your great grandma played on her Victrola? The very idea...

And thanks Jim, I'll check out the Jackman :)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 01, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
Recently a number of Gliese 614's releases including Trilogy, London, Communication and Warlord.

Micheal Stearns - The Storm

Steve Roach - Light Fantastic

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
Ozric Tentacles - Pyramidion

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
Brendan Perry- "Ark" If you're a DCD fan this is very much worth getting.  He used only synths and samples so it's very synthetic (and to its detriment in spots, too polished sounding), however  there are some GREAT songs here that would've fit nicely on a Dead Can Dance project had they not disbanded so long ago (can't believe it was almost 15 years ago!)

Create-"Kindred Spirits"
Type O Negative-"October Rust"
Erik Wollo-"Gateway"
Jeff Pearce-"Daylight Slowly"
Mathias Grassow-"Dissolution"

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
I'll have to check out that new Brendan Perry. 

Recently discovered a nifty album on EMusic entitled Element by Jovica Storer.  Five tracks representing each element.  Mid-tempo O Yuki Conjugate or Terra Ambient-like percussion, Jonathan Block or Bluetech-like electronic underpinnings, tibetan bowls and bells shimmering throughout.  Not mind-blowingly great, but very good and worth returning to.  samples- http://www.emusic.com/album/Jovica-Storer-Element-MP3-Download/11992010.html

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
O÷phoi - Mare Imbrium

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
Steve Roach, Early Man.

Mike Griffin, Fabrications.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2508 on: August 12, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »
The Maple Mountain Sunburst Triolian Orchestra - self titled
Shaula - Oneiroi
Listening Mirror - Falling Under
The Flaming Lips - the dark side of the moon

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
LOWLIFE-various/everything.  R.I.P. to their singer Craig Lorentson, who I just discovered died recently (June or July 2010): one of the finest vocalists to come out of Scotland, fronting one of the greatest underground "cult" bands of the 1980's (featuring Will Heggie, ex-Cocteau Twins).  They should have been HUGE.  Only 44 years old...Playing it loud and proud today in CL's honor! 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
Lovesliescrushing-Girl Echo Suns Veils. Noise never sounded so peaceful.

Rudy Adrian-Distant Stars. Excellent deep space music.  There are some annoying "glitches" on this as on one of his other Lotuspike discs, not sure what that's all about, but otherwise the music is flawless.

Sad Lovers and Giants-The Mirror Test Redux. Fantastic post-punk/new wave UK band from the glorious 80's.  Neato echoey guitars a la Chameleons, Cure, etc.

Phaenon

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2512 on: August 16, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
Gliese 614 - Serenity
And his Myspace tracks.
Discovered through Hypnos forum today.
Nice, sounds like Tangerine Dream "Zeit" and early Klaus Schulze in concept, which is good in my book. :)

Blackinfinity

« Reply #2513 on: August 18, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
deeply moving..emotional..

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 18, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
Rudy Adrian-Distant Stars. Excellent deep space music.  There are some annoying "glitches" on this as on one of his other Lotuspike discs, not sure what that's all about, but otherwise the music is flawless.

Hmmm...that's too bad. Do you think it's intrinsic to the recording or do you think you just got a bad copy? I love Rudy's spacier stuff, but I'm very picky about unwanted pops/clicks, especially in ambient music. The samples sound amazing, but I'm not going to buy a broken product.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #2515 on: August 18, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »

Hmmm...that's too bad. Do you think it's intrinsic to the recording or do you think you just got a bad copy? I love Rudy's spacier stuff, but I'm very picky about unwanted pops/clicks, especially in ambient music. The samples sound amazing, but I'm not going to buy a broken product.

Even if it is in the original recording that is no excuse. There is many good restoration tools today, which can delete most noise and clicks..if not they can be distorted to sound "better" ...I agree I am also very picky about it.

You should inform the label about it.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 18, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »
Re: Adrian.  I'll have to listen again, think it was only on one track though...

New stuff in my mailbox recently:

Peter Challoner-Lunar Tide & Beneath the Ice Flow.  Both excellent, Lunar is very Oophoi-like, Ice Flow reminds me of Thom Brennan.

Soul in Limbo-Driven by Thanatos.  GREAT Dark Duck release, highly recommend.

Gel Sol-K8ema. Very trippy stuff, almost had a flashback or two at work listening to this.

Echo and the Bunnymen-Crystal Days box set.  From '81 to '84 they were simply magical.

Iron Maiden-The Final Frontier.  Metal in space!  Fans of the classic years ('82-'85) will dig it, as I do...

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2517 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises - absolutely fantastic new release from Mark Kozelek.  It's an all acoustic recording with Kozelek playing nylon string guitar throughout.
Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard - very good pop music, similar to Vampire Weekend.
Tanner Menard - The Oceans of Your Aura - very nice piano-based ambient.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2518 on: August 21, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »

Even if it is in the original recording that is no excuse. There is many good restoration tools today, which can delete most noise and clicks..if not they can be distorted to sound "better" ...I agree I am also very picky about it.

You should inform the label about it.

This gives me an idea - take some Glitch albums and run them through a Click/Pop/Noise removal program. Whole new albums?

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #2519 on: August 21, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
And BTW -

Shine - Joni Mitchell - fairly recent (07) with some good lyrics and a sweetly melancholic positive/negative vibe.

Chamber of Dreams - Bill Nelson - not at all recent (84/89) with that eclectic dreamlike vibe he was putting out prolifically around that time.