Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 798554 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2780 on: April 14, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What - just got this one so I have only listen through it once, but it sounds excellent so far.

That's funny.  Just got this yesterday, too.  Like it a lot.  I think it's his best since Rhythm of the Saints.  He touches on a lot of themes he mentioned in a Charlie Rose interview a few years back.

I've also been listening to a Kevin Coyne box set retrospective, "I Want My Crown," that covers most of his highlights from the Virgin Records years, and includes a nice live disc.  Also been slowly absorbing a slew of experimental recordings on Ant-Zen.

Forrest

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: April 14, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What - just got this one so I have only listen through it once, but it sounds excellent so far.

Was really curious about this one.  To get nods from you and Forrest I think I'll pick it up!  About 2 months back, I dug out Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Bookends and had them in pretty heavy rotation.  It had been a few years since I had listened any of their stuff - at least purposely - and I was pretty much in awe of their collective songwriting.  I suppose when something is so omnipresent musically, it can sometimes be difficult to objectively listen and assess how *good* something really is.

Ubeboet Archival LP on Moving Furniture Records.
Heard about this one last year - probably in Vital Weekly - and found the sound snippets on the site to be stretched out shimmering drone - lovely stuff.  Inquired about the LP - limited to just a few hundred (200? or so), but the quote was around 22 Euros or so w/ postage.  Skipped it, then it popped up through Norman Records this year and nabbed it for 15 GBP, which after the conversion I think I saved something like $1.32 ;)   Anyway, Experimedia now has it stateside : http://www.experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=1677 and there is a soundcloud attached.  Side A is field recordings from a buzzing fly to a creaking ship sounding as if it's going to fall out of the speakers into your listening space.  Side B is the choice side - lush blend of environmental recordings and the aforementioned drones.  Haunting and recommended.

Tune-Yards - Whokill on 4AD.
2nd long-player by Tune-Yards which is essentially one woman - Merrill Garbus.  The first one was a (too?) eccentric blend of Newsome-ese yelps and vocal chirps along w/ some fairly stripped down percussion, yet an alluring sense of rhythm.  It took a few listens to wrap my head around it.  This one is more refined, and retains the elements of the first LP without really compromising on composition, just less genre hopping.  Plus, her voice is more evident on this LP, almost like an Amy Winehouse (-motown, -crack, -stories about one-night stands) and adds to the whole mixture nicely.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »
Seren Ffordd - Strands 1-4

Nice, dark slabs of infinity.
Thanks for listening - glad you like them. Feel free to download and burn to CDR...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: April 15, 2011, 03:55:46 AM »
Hummingbird- Our Fearful Symmetry Remixes; this one is definitely a "grower" for me. At first I wasn't sure, but now all those subtle details have revealed themselves in all their splendor...  a really fine release!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
Grouper- Way Their Crept; This is the foggiest, reverbyist (I know it's not a word, but it should be), and ghostliest of Liz Harris' discs, and also her best.
Konntinent- Opal Island; Love this one, don't know how to describe it. Every note is sharp and clear with hard edges. Pianos, keyboards, guitars, noises, voices, and even some harmonica, all coming together into slow and oddly mysterious landscapes.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
Joe mentioned recently...
Grouper- Way Their Crept; This is the foggiest, reverbyist (I know it's not a word, but it should be), and ghostliest of Liz Harris' discs, and also her best.

I'm on this wagon (Grouper) a bit late, and it's unfortunate as this one looks tough as nails to find.  Was reissued on Type a few years back and a quick check on discogs reveals a hefty price for the LP.  Oh well...

Alvarius B. - Baroque Primitiva LP (Poon Village).  Read and heard good things about this - only to find that the LP was pressed in an edition of 300.  Released in February of this year and sold out almost immediately after.  A.B. is a pseudonym of Sun City Girls Alan Bishop, doing a bit of a Syd Barrett lo-fi folk LP featuring a cover of the Beach Boys 'God Only Knows' among other self-penned pieces.  Like all good record collectors, I went out this past Saturday and actually found this at a local shop.  Last place I would've expected too - couldn't believe it.   Due to come out on CD this spring sometime.  Recommended.

Nigel Samways - Silver Rain, Green Trees 10" (Ephre Imprint)  Issued as a lathe cut 10" or CDr.  Another stunning piece by Samways - the comparisons with Caretaker/Leyland Kirby are hard to resist in that there is a nearly forgotten dream-like quality to his compositions.   

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
Joe mentioned recently...

I'm on this wagon (Grouper) a bit late, and it's unfortunate as this one looks tough as nails to find.  Was reissued on Type a few years back and a quick check on discogs reveals a hefty price for the LP.  Oh well...

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Don't fret, Jason. Apparently Liz has a new one out called Dreamloss that's every bit as murky and elusive as Way Their Crept. I'm thinking of getting it, but really, how much of this stuff does a guy need...

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2787 on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
"but really, how much of this stuff does a guy need..."

That's a great line, Joe.  ;D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2788 on: April 19, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
Most recently been listening to

Brian McBride :: The Effective Disconnect  (wonderful ... been playing it a LOT over the past 6 months or so)
Deaf Center :: Owl Splinters  (bit mixed, but I like it)
Hummingbird - Our Fearful Symmetry  (its growing on me)
Richter :: 24 Postcards  (he's always special)
Seaworthy and Matt Rosner :: Two Lakes  (bit sample-laden, and not a fan of the acoustic guitar, but they sure get into some mighty fine minimal soundscapes)

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: April 20, 2011, 04:08:08 AM »
Hey Anthony, are you talking about Our Fearful Symmetry remixes, or the original? If you're talking about the remixes, I wasn't impressed at first either, but I'm starting to like it more and more...

and I'd love to know who Hummingbird is!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2790 on: April 20, 2011, 05:50:51 AM »
Joe : I believe its the original.
Will have to pick up the remixes ... hopefully there is a download version.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: April 20, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
Here you go Anthony, in case you're interested:

http://facture.bandcamp.com/album/our-fearful-symetry-remixes

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2792 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
Thanks Joe.
Picked  myself up a copy of that there thang !   ;D
Will report back when I've had a few listens.

Stupidly expensive at about $14.50 for a download !!!!!!!!!!!!
Major ripoff.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:45:15 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: April 20, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »

Stupidly expensive at about $14.50 for a download !!!!!!!!!!!!
Major ripoff.

You're right about that! In fact it kind of pisses me off that I was dumb enough to buy it!   ...but we're probably paying extra for all the hype and dramatic description you get with this release ;-)  ...all in all though, it's a great album. Yeah, let know what you think.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Nunc Stans- The Palm At The End Of The Mind; the title track is fantastic
The Circular Ruins- Invisible Cities; It's all good
Andrew Hargreaves- Fragments, and Defragments; glitchy and melodic piano-synth-keyboard soundscapes. Dirty and echoey and lo-fi. Excellent...

Bob Ohrum

• Lonely sounds
    • View Profile
    • rM Page
« Reply #2795 on: April 24, 2011, 07:01:02 AM »
Ornitheology by Chubby Wolf ... Beautiful and minimal

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2796 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »
Various Artists (including Eluder and Loscil) - Only Light to Clear Away

A very cheap download benefit compilation for Japan. I think every one of you will like it!

http://distancerecordings.bandcamp.com/

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2797 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:07 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for the heads up on that comp, just downloaded it this morning, looks good.

Speaking of cheap compilations, I found one over at Room40.  It's a 10th anniversary compilation & it's FREE!  Here's the link...
http://room40.org/store/various_10

other recents spins:

Antonymes - the licence to interpret dreams
Six Parts Seven - lost notes from forgotten songs
New Order - Low Life - I'd forgotten how much I love this record!

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2798 on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »
Listening to James Johnson and Stephen Dark McDuck Philips - Lost at Dunn's Lake

lovely piano.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #2799 on: April 29, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
Firesign Theater  "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers"
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/