Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 817947 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #2800 on: April 30, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »

- Roedelius : Jardin Au Fou

Is there anything happier than Fou Fou !!!

This album is a perennial favourite.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2801 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »

- Roedelius : Jardin Au Fou

Is there anything happier than Fou Fou! This album is a perennial favourite.

Yes! Have been collecting all the re-masters of his late 70s, early 80s work.

spectral67

• View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:19 AM »
Adham Shaikh- Journey To The Sun. Very nice mid 90`s Ambient classic.
TV Victor - Timeless Deceleration/The Ways Of The Bodies. Triple album of long, hypnotic, Downtempo, mood altering stuff.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2803 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Just arrived, Infraction's re-release of

- Keith Berry : the ear that was sold to a fish

includes a second disk, turn right a thousand feet from here,
with 30 minutes of new music.

This is a thing of beauty !!!
The music is excellent, and so is the packaging.

Great work, Jason.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 03, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Great work, Jason.

Yes, I'd have to agree.  It's a beautiful release all around.  I didn't find out about this the first time around, so I'm glad to get a second chance.  Nice going, Jason!  The packaging and design are real standouts, too.

Forrest

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
Great work, Jason.

I have that original Crouton version w/the box stuffed with leaves, but just went ahead & ordered the reissue because of that extra disc. If it's anything like The Ear..., which was a superb piece of work, then me own aural canals should get quite happy soon indeed!

Berry remains one of those enigmatic artists who has nurtured something of a 'cultist' aesthetic about him, mostly due to the fact that he simply isn't as prolific as his colleagues. No matter: I highly recommend all of his work, particularly the austere abstractions found on his release on the late, lamented Trente Oiseaux label, The Golden Boat, which raised the concept of sound-art/minimalism/onkyoism to new heights.

NP: Agitation Free Shibuya Nights: Live In Tokyo (pre-release). I'm penning the liners for this, a brand new (albeit live) recording by Krautrock masters Agitation Free. Stunning sound quality, all superbly mastered by Michael Hoenig; only with some incidental applause could one detect this to be a live album. Stellar reworkings of A.F. classics mixed with new pieces. TBR on German label MiG (home of the last remaining volumes in the Klaus Schulze La Vie Electronique series and the recent Big In Japan live sets) sometime later this summer, I believe.

Recent plays:
Julianna Barwick The Magic Place (Asthmatic Kitty). Impossibly beautiful processed voice/vocal choirs solely executed by Ms. Barwick, with the additional odd electronic embellishments woven into the mix. Tough to categorize this one: "ambient" but not, at times glacial, near-gregorian, spiritual (but nowhere near vacuous)...all signifiers are meaningless. Much more mind-bending (& wonderfully bent) than, say, David Hykes' similar explorations, but, for me, far more aurally satisfying.

Remy I:dentity (Deserted Island). New one by Berlin School upstart is one of the best examples I've heard in the genre of late. First track is a gorgeous piece of "new" sequencer music; the rest puts some recent genre music to shame. Features guests Synth.NL, Gert Emmens, Erik Wollo, and Bill Fox.

Ministry Twitch (Sire). For some reason, intermittently this past week I've been playing "All Day Remix", well, uh, all day (not really, but definitely during recent car trips, and sporadically indoors). Been "rediscovering" (relistening) to old-school industrial dance (pre-EBM) and somehow Ministry's name came up during net-surfing & Twitch got stuck in heavy rotation. Completely gave up on Jourgensen's music & methodology after this one had no use for his subsequent noise/metal phase but Twitch & the vastly underrated With Sympathy remain classics.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:38:37 AM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2806 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »

- Olan Mill :: Pine

Bit Max Richer classical plus a few other nice sullen things. Its very good.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 06, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »

- Olan Mill :: Pine

Bit Max Richer classical plus a few other nice sullen things. Its very good.

Did you really dig this one, Anthony? Can't decide myself. It's interesting but a bit dry for my tastes (the same reason why I don't gravitate to much of what is released on Type these days). I'll have to play this one a bit more to see if it sinks in with successive exposure, but for the most part, this new kind of "post-post-modern-cum-classical-cum-electronica" stuff is not an easy thing to pull off. Richter is probably one of the better exponents (although his work isn't my cup o' joe, either), but much of this 'genre' seems too precious & obsessed with a certain 'stateliness' that renders much of it somewhat cold.

I also have that Nest CD on the same label, and like that one a bit better...both are really going to need further listenings. Nice digipak design on both, though. :)
DARREN BERGSTEIN

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2808 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »
Darren
I do think this Olan Mill is very well done/composed for the style. Yes, as you say, it is in the "post-post-modern-cum-classical-cum-electronica" stuff, which some oddly call "post-classical" (the "post modern" attribute is questionable), but really this is simply a blend of using some classical motifs, a bit of piano here and there, and some good old SOTL longing. I do think this album does the job very well. But if this classical turn is not for you then forget it. I think Richter is much more varied in his works ... and perhaps more interesting because of it. Richter does a number of styles, and he does them all very well. The Olan Mill is certainly more narrow in range, but I do find it deeper, more introspective and subtle than yer usual classical-string-revival suspects.  I wouldn't call it "stately" ... it is too "intimate" for that. Give it another play.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:32:28 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2809 on: May 08, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
Matt Thomas Wilson - Plenum - good grainy, scratchy ambient available for free download at bandcamp here... http://mtwilson.bandcamp.com/album/plenum
Fognode - Porch Music - nice guitar(lap steel) ambient also available for free here... http://fognode.virb.com/porch-music
Fleet Foxes - helplessness blues - Fan-freakin-tastic sophomore release of beautiful folk-rock harmonies from Fleet Foxes.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2810 on: May 10, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
I finally have my DVD player hooked up to the main sound system ... which allows me to play....

SOMNIUM!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2811 on: May 10, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
That's funny, Mark. Although I own the label that released Somnium, until about 5 years ago I never actually listened to Somnium through stereo speakers. Before it was always through the DVD player's headphone jack.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2812 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
np a bunch of Savaran / Mark Walters stuff.

Previously - The Winterhouse - Slow Promises (APK + Robert Davies)

Before that - some great stuff on the Feedback Loop label.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 10, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »
I finally have my DVD player hooked up to the main sound system ... which allows me to play....

SOMNIUM!

well worth playing overnight, while sleeping. 8)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 11, 2011, 05:49:05 AM »
Maps & Diagrams Get Lost (Time Released Sound) - gorgeous new recording by Tim Diagram...dronish atmospheres mixed with field recordings in a plaintive mode...merges sensibilities from releases on labels like Experimedia, Type, Preservation, Hibernate, etc. Beautiful digi as well.

Eberhard Schoener Trance-Formation & Flashback (MiG) - new reissues of these very hard to find works from Germany's Schoener, featuring Sting, Andy Summers & Stewart Copeland (just as they were forming the Police). Electronics mixed w/Sting's vocals & guitars; T-F is the better one of the two, more Berlin School-esque; Flashback a bit more 'rock-ier'. Waiting to see if MiG will be reissuing Video Magic, which I still have on LP (and on a comp CD), and is easily the best of the Schoener/'Police' collabs.

Hope to get to later today various things on Syngate, Preservation, Warp, Hypnos (yep, still need to check out the new Steve Brand), Hic Sunt Leones, on & on... :)
DARREN BERGSTEIN

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2815 on: May 14, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
Very recently
- Biosphere: Dropsonde
- Kraftwerk: Tour de France
- Martinez: Solaris

a few classics.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 15, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
APK,great choices.
Somnium,I bought the app and listen to it often,not the same as the DVD but it can go forever.
Rapoon-messianic ghosts -excellent chant like ( I wish I had seen live recently)
Robin Guthrie - emeralds-more of a band sound,live drums but that Cocteau twins signature swirl.see him live next few weeks in USA/Canada.he will be with a band not solo,plus Brendan Perry of dcd.
Sotl- tired- just a classic.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: May 16, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »
Great work, Jason.

I have that original Crouton version w/the box stuffed with leaves, but just went ahead & ordered the reissue because of that extra disc. If it's anything like The Ear..., which was a superb piece of work, then me own aural canals should get quite happy soon indeed!

Berry remains one of those enigmatic artists who has nurtured something of a 'cultist' aesthetic about him, mostly due to the fact that he simply isn't as prolific as his colleagues. No matter: I highly recommend all of his work, particularly the austere abstractions found on his release on the late, lamented Trente Oiseaux label, The Golden Boat, which raised the concept of sound-art/minimalism/onkyoism to new heights.

Thanks for the kind words about the release.  The main image from the original release is repeated on one of the inner sleeves, and the rest of the images (from Berry) and fonts/text was assembled by Timothy O'Donnell, who used to do some work w/ v23.  I thought he did a very understated design while incorporating the 75 word tracklisting/storyline :)

I agree that Berry is fairly enigmatic d/t that lack of a consistent output.   Turn Right... complements The Ear... very well IMO and is an opposite harmonic to the somewhat noisier counterpart release Turn LEFT a Thousand Feet From Here that was included in the first 100 copies of A Strange Feather on Twenty Hertz a few years back. 

Working now on a new Berry release of all new material.  Hopefully out by the end of the year.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2818 on: May 17, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
Someone mentioned Pulshar's "Inside" on this board; wow, what a winner!  Along with "Brotherhood", it's been in constant rotation here for the last week.  Great dubby minimal techno, with actual SONGS instead of just atmosphere.  Really great stuff.

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »
I do like Pulshar for what they are. But I normally like the minimalistic approach (i.e. Yagya, Rod Modell etc.)