Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 756778 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3260 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
That Dahlia's Tear sounds interesting.  I'll have to check them out.  Haven't bought a Cold Meat Industry release in quite awhile. 

Doing some hellacious overtime at work and to keep me going I've been playing:

Neil Yount-Greatest Hits.
Black Sabbath-The Best Of
Queen-News of the World
Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind
Blur-13.  I bought this one on a whim and although I like some of the songs, I can't make my mind up about this band, whether they're really talented or just ho-hum alternative rock. 

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 13, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »

He's on Bandcamp where you can listen before you buy:-
http://dahliastear1.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 14, 2012, 06:29:34 AM »
East of Oceans 121 Years (Home Normal) CD

- this is Brock van Wey, of BVDUB fame, operating under a different alias for the Home Normal label. Still uncertain what I think of this one. Essentially, it's Brock doing his using time-stretched sample, dense soundscape thing but using 'drum 'n' bass'/fast syndrum rhythms behind it all instead of the usual 4/4 techno beats. Not really too dissimilar to his other 'ambient-tech-dub' work, substituting one type of syncopation for the other. It's up to his usual standards, pretty, lush, yet somewhat strange....time will tell. (The final track is quite a corker, though.)

On the block:

- new Circular Ruins
- s_w_z_k - solo album by one-half of Swayzak
- new Deadbeat, Eight
- Pauline Oliveros box set (massive)
- Laurie Spiegel reissue, The Expanding Universe
- bunch of back catalog by The Fall (whom I'm just now getting in to somewhat after a complete ignorance of their work over the years)

...and tons of other things (many obtained from last month's trip to SF & Amoeba, etc.) still yet to be anywhere a disc player. :)
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3263 on: September 14, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
More brand new non-ambient listening...

1) Tom Tom Club - Downtown Rockers - Yes, you read right, a new Tom Tom Club!  So far it's just okay but it still is exciting.
2) Wild Nothing - Nocturne
3) Grizzly Bear Shields
4) Divine Fits - A thing called Divine Fits
5) Jens Lekman - I know what love isn't

Most of my listening has been in this vein, indie pop/rock/etc.  I haven't been listening to much ambient lately.  As I get older somehow I find myself listening to more stuff that my kids & coworkers are playing.  It's good to get out of the rut.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: September 14, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
I just got the Wild Nothing/Nocturne. Was in NYC,heard it at Other Music. Nostalgia from a 22 year old kit but reminds me of early 80s New Order.
loscil-sketches from new Brighton-my second cd by him,really great field recordings with a bit of dub.
Gary Numan-Engineers live 1980, somewhat raw sounding with many blips and bleeps from what must have been a new Moog.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3265 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
Andrew Thomas - Between Buildings And Trees
I've been enjoying this Kompact release a lot. Ambient sample collages, much in the spirit of Marsen Jules.

Jeff Pearce - Daylight Slowly, To the Shores of Heaven, The Light Beyond, Bleed
Was in a Pearce mood this week. I haven't seen any new Pearce releases for a while. Does anyone know why his output is on pause?

Non-ambient

High Highs - High Highs
Melodic, catchy dream pop. http://highhighsmusic.bandcamp.com/

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #3266 on: September 16, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
I haven't seen any new Pearce releases for a while. Does anyone know why his output is on pause?

Starting last year, he released a series of twelve singles every month (constituting an album worth of music).
http://www.jeffpearcemusic.com/provision_series/
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3267 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »
I haven't seen any new Pearce releases for a while. Does anyone know why his output is on pause?

Starting last year, he released a series of twelve singles every month (constituting an album worth of music).
http://www.jeffpearcemusic.com/provision_series/

Thanks for the head's up. This slipped past me!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: September 19, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Alpha Wave Movement-Eolian Reflections (Periphery).  One of the best works to date for AWM.  Great disc!

Durutti Column-Short Stories for Pauline. Reissue of DC's fourth album, with bonus live disc.

Band of Horses-Mirage Rock.  After the two disappointing follow-ups to their debut, this one, although not great, has better songs and production overall than those last two.  Produced by Glyn Johns, rock producer legend.

Yagya-Inescapable Decay of My Heart.  I liked the vocal disc more than the instrumental one, which was surprising.

Seahawks-Aquadisco.  New Seahawks, yay!!

Pieter Nooten-Surround Us. Solo by ex-Clan of Xymox member.  Some very nice work on this disc, not far off from his "Sleeps With the Fishes" collaboration with Michael Brook.

The Cult-Choice of Weapon.  Deluxe edition.  There are a few very good tracks here, with flashes of their classic period ('84-'86), although overall too much of it seemed bland cheesy rock like they started doing in the late 80's and 90's. 

Siguar Ros-Valtari.  Gorgeous as usual from Sigur Ros, looks like they're keeping the same formula but why not it works.

Expo '70-Black Ohms.  Distorted ambient guitar space music

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing this one, too.  I liked it so much that it was one of the first LPs I converted to digital a few years back.  About 15 years ago, I remember asking her whether she planned to reissue it; she didn't seemed to think there was a demand for it at the time.  I'm glad that things have apparently changed.

Forrest

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing this one, too.  I liked it so much that it was one of the first LPs I converted to digital a few years back.  About 15 years ago, I remember asking her whether she planned to reissue it; she didn't seemed to think there was a demand for it at the time.  I'm glad that things have apparently changed.

Forrest

I will say it's fantastic, Forrest, a superbly-executed reissue featuring great sound & packaging. Spiegel remains one of the truly unsung electronic music pioneers, and these salvaged works (originally on LP) do not disappoint (the accompanying 2nd disc makes the entire acquisition more than worthwhile). I highly recommend all her other work as well.

Drone On: Glad you dug AWM's newie.

NP: Northcore Desatero (Spotted Peccary) - just got this one today & it's damn good - something of a synthesis of numerous styles (some tracks evoke the Teutonic masters, others the more sublime moments of Biosphere, still others cop a hardier techno rhythm), but all throughout lurk a number of titillating sounds, samples, & choirs/voices...nice surprise, indeed.

BTW, gang, a small plug: next up on the Periphery roster (sometime next week, in fact), the new Groupthink, Happy Gods, myself & Ed Yuhas's follow-up to our debut Of Microcosmic Origins. We're very, well, happy ;) with this one; it contains shorter tracks (with one exception) that offer quite a variety of strange noises, loops, and atmospheres. Formal announcement & further info next week.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:53:24 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3271 on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
a m b i e n t :
Marconi Union - weightless
Seaworthy - Sleep Paths (Slaapwel)
Johan G. Winther - For Ingar Gustavsson (Slaapwel)

n o n  -  a m b i e n t :
The Lumineers - The Lumineers
Trespassers William - Cast
Band of Horses - Mirage Rock
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Here

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3272 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
- Pausal :: Forms -- similar in many ways to the earlier Lapses. Which is not a bad thing.
- Willits + Sakamoto :: Ancient Future -- its a beauty! I give it eleven out of ten.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
Bill Nelson-A Catalogue of Obsessions, Sounding the Ritual Echo, The Summer of God's Piano.  I found these CD's used at Amoeba in SF, they were released on his Cocteau Records label and came out on Enigma in the US in the late 80's, but recorded early to mid 80's.  All instrumental stuff, some quite "ambient".  Apparently the UK label Esoteric will be reissuing quite a bit of Nelson's stuff, including a box set next month of four of these Cocteau albums. 

Patrick O'Hearn-Indigo.
Jah Wobble-The Celtic Poets

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3274 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »

Seaworthy - Sleep Paths (Slaapwel)

What a neat little label.
Been exploring the releases on Bandcamp:
http://slaapwel.bandcamp.com/album/komarovo
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3275 on: September 22, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
np

- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young :: Deja Vu  -- yeah !
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3276 on: September 22, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »
Anthony,  Glad you discovered Slaapwel.  You're right it's a neat little label.  I have about half of their releases.

Darren & Forrest - Thanks for the heads up on Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe, I'd never heard of it before.  Good stuff.

ambient spins:
Loscil - Sketches from New Brighton (kranky) - awesome, as usual.
Kyle Bobby Dunn - Bring Me The Head of Kyle Bobby Dunn (low point) -  awesome, as well, as usual.
14tracks - the decayed loops of jeck and basinski (boomkat)

non-ambient:
Trespassers William - Cast
Arrange - new memory
Los Campesinos - Hello Sadness

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
« Reply #3277 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:27 AM »
np

- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young :: Deja Vu  -- yeah !

Very good album.
I bought it as vinyl, when I was in my teen.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
Loscil - Sketches from New Brighton
I'm enjoying this one a lot.

Austin Wintroy - Journey OST
Brilliant soundtrack for a brilliant game (PS3). Mostly cello, harp, and serpent, with an occasional gamelan orchestra.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 23, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »

Siguar Ros-Valtari.  Gorgeous as usual from Sigur Ros, looks like they're keeping the same formula but why not it works.

Gorgeous is the word.  It's sort of delicate and faint but also has a really beautiful quality as its essence.  Like looking at pretty but faded, yellow pictures of  far off places.

Speaking of delicate,  finally got Saul Stokes' Metacollage.  A minimal masterpiece.  His music is always cheerful while keeping that subtle sci-fi- cool edge to it.