Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 833950 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3320 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »
JAPAN-Oil on Canvas (remaster, which sounds SO much better than the original crappy muffled/low volume recording).  IMO the best Japan album.

ARC-Rise. Ian Boddy and Mark Shreeve, on DiN download.  As good as any of their other excellent albums.

DEPECHE MODE-Construction Time Again, A Broken Frame (deluxe remasters).  Love the early DM stuff, in fact I lost interest pretty much after Black Celebration.  The DVD documentaries are fascinating. 

GAS/DEEPCHORD mix CD.  I've been getting into the ambient dub techno stuff more lately, especially the whole Deepchord/Echospace thing.  That "Liumin" CD by Deepchord is going for $40-$50 on Discogs.  Wish I'd bought that a few months back when I saw it at Amoeba Music!!

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: October 25, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
I've been getting into the ambient dub techno stuff more lately, especially the whole Deepchord/Echospace thing.

If you've been digging on more of that tip, I would recommend your checking out the following labels/artists as well if you're not already aware of them:

- Cold Tear / http://coldtear.com / Superb label mostly featuring Eastern Euro ambientdubtech artists, but also some IDM-related, too. The releases are all Kunaki-made pro CDRs in jewel cases with very nice artwork & sound and many of the artists do some very immersive stuff indeed (and the CDs are only $8 each!). Off the cuff, I'd suggest checking out (amongst many on their roster) Textural Being, whose release rivals anything by Yagya, Gas, etc., although still operating on the same categorical axis. What I like about T.B. is that he mostly foregos the usual over-used filters & reverbs and actually creates some differing, off-kilter patterns amid his mercurial soundscapes.

- Entropy / http://www.entropy-records.com / French label run by David Ya (himself a musician) sporting many little sub-labels, releasing both CDs & CDRs. Entropy has quickly become a highly-regarded HQ for the smooth dubstuff, with many well-known practitioners of the form having released multiple recordings (Mr. Cloudy, Grit, Dublicator, Coppice Halifax, etc.).

- Milieu Music / http://store.milieu-music.com / Shop/label run by Brian Grainger & David Tagg. Between the two of them, and their endless array of aliases (such as Coppice Halifax), not to mention other & related artists, these two are looking to surpass the combined catalogs of Sun Ra & Pete Namlook. Collectively, their recordings number pretty damn close if not over 100 (most on CDR), but much of it is actually of a fairly high quality. Grainger's CH project is the standout, gorgeous ambientdubtech in the vein of the aforementioned Gas, Rod Modell, etc., but comes in a dizzying assortment of flavors & textures. This lot'll keep your wallet perpetually empty.

- Silent Season / http://silentseason.com / Canadian label that also trucks in multiple formats (CD, CDR & d/l) & with some nice packaging to boot, featuring both known and little known artists (Federson, Ohwert, ASC, Overcast Sound, Quantec, Atheus, etc.). Most the recordings are lush, dense, atmospheric & well-produced, all releases worth looking in to.

- Interstellar Sounds / http://interstellarsounds.com / Not a label but a British mailorder concern that stocks many of the above artists & affiliated labels in addition to new imprints such as Confineless, Convexion, Echospace, Zeecc, and many others.

There's more & I'm sure I'm leaving out some others, but the above represent a big enough bit to start chewing on... :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:05:21 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
Thx for the tips, Darren!  Silent Season I'm aware of.  Haven't missed a release for the last couple years, and paid some pretty pennies on discogs for the sold out stuff.  I will definitely research these other labels. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: October 25, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
3 Cold Tear discs on da way  :)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:15 AM »
3 Cold Tear discs on da way  :)

There ya' go!

Actually picked up another 6 from their catalog myself yesterday - I now have pretty much all they've released save those Soulsonic CDs, none of which did it for me.
DARREN BERGSTEIN

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3325 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Most enjoyed albums this past week:

- Seconds In Formaldehyde ::  A Shiver in Red   (great textures and feeling. About time for a follow-up! )
- Willits + Sakamoto :: Ancient Future  (still a 2012 favourite)
- Maps and Diagrams :: The town beneath the sea
- Keith Berry :: The Cartesian Plane  (excellent deep unrelenting drone work)
- Keith Berry :: Turn right a thousand feet from here
- Greg Haines :: Digressions  (pleasing mix of neo-classical and noise)
- Machinefabriek :: Stukjes  (series of intriguing short noise studies from a few years ago)
- Olan Mill :: Pine

Plus some Ellington, Miles Davis, and a lot of Bach.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: October 27, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »
i need to change my thoughts on mathias grassow's new BLOODMOON.

i've been playing this over the last few days multiple times and i think it's an excellent release by mathias!
initially i found a bit static and like not much was going on but now listening again to this release, especially the 30-minute track 'Domains Of The Stallo' i think it's powerful statement of how should drone music be.. and something beautiful is going on between these layers of sound.

anyway, i'll look forward to the upcoming live 2CD by Grassow & Carsten Agthe on Gterma!

anticipating:

bvdub - all is forgiven (n5md) pre-ordered!
bvdub - a careful ecstasy (darla)
steve roach & byron metcalf - tales from the ultra tribe
treha sektori - endessiah (cyclic law)
steve hauschildt - sequitur (kranky)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:34:39 AM by jim02 »

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
anticipating:

bvdub - all is forgiven (n5md) pre-ordered!
bvdub - a careful ecstasy (darla)
steve roach & byron metcalf - tales from the ultra tribe
treha sektori - endessiah (cyclic law)
steve hauschildt - sequitur (kranky)

jim02, I love your posts in this section. I wouldn't have known about new bvdub releases otherwise.

I've been listening to Bing Satellites - Landscape and Drift this morning while working. Wonderful album, especially the last track.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: October 28, 2012, 04:21:32 AM »
if i hear the long samples of the upcoming Bvdub on N5md, i feel like being in a blissful ecstasy :)
it's sounds absolutely stunning!

Bvdub is doing an exceptional job for me

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Oh my,another label I never heard of from my own country,Silent Season. Darren,can you suggest 2 to start with. Must be available on Bandcamp and looking for that Deepchord sound,delays,panning,gentle beats. Some of what I heard was a bit hard edged.
Drone on,try to get the Liumin double CD,to my ears,CD 2 is the better version.Also,check out the new Depeche Mode video for their upcoming album and tour. I stopped buying them long ago but this song is going back to Faith and Devotion sounds.Shows them in the studio and there are a ton of electronics going on.
Listening-David Sylvian,Praise of Shamans tour. This is a bootleg but outstanding quality,live sound desk feed.1988.

Subradial-Bioloophorm ( I think that is how you spell it) Very Biosphere,dare I say better at times.
Robert Rich- Nest,splendid.  All the usual Rich sounds but very even,no highs or lows just one long story. One of his better ones.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
Thanks for info, jdh.  Silent Season good start point would be Federsen "Echo Relics" and Purl "Deep Ground.".  Fatih Tuter "Wide and Shallow" is some other good smooth, mellow dub.

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: October 30, 2012, 01:30:21 AM »
Tange - A Tub Full of Tange

At the moment I'm listening to track 4. It's an amazing compilation, for me it contains some of the best ambient I've ever heard. Floating, dreamy, light (I don't enjoy dark stuff at the moment), simply perfect. Gordon is a genius :) And it's free

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
Darren,can you suggest 2 to start with. Must be available on Bandcamp and looking for that Deepchord sound,delays,panning,gentle beats.

I would suggest the Quantec, Mr. Cloudy, & Atheus discs - all come from that deep yet spacey ambient-dub-tech tip ala Yagya, Gas, Basic Channel, Echospace/Deepchord/Modell, etc., all good stuff.
DARREN BERGSTEIN

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3333 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
'Tam Lin' by Fairport Convention

A perennial All Hallows Eve favourite here at Flame Towers.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3334 on: October 31, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Strom Noir - Standing out Against the Sea

-Excellent drone work.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3335 on: October 31, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
a m b i e n t :
Brian Mcbride - when the detail lost its freedom (Kranky)
Eluder - the most beautiful blue(infraction)
James Johnson - Entering Twilight (Hypnos)

non-ambient :
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill  -  awesomely epic!
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams  -  good folky, indie stuff in the same vein as Fleet Foxes.
DIIV - Oshin  -  really nice dreamy gangly guitar pop.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
Ran Kirlian-Formations
Joxan Ruiz-Gaze

Both of these are on Altera Orbe label, sister label of Ad21 in Spain.  Both excellent (reviews forthcoming).

Parallel Worlds/D. Bessell-Morphogenic.  Very good. Review forthcoming.

Ramp-Return. Same as above.

Fluxion-Traces.  On Echocord, excellent laid back dub techno.

Moonwalker-Trip.  GREAT minimal dub techno disc on Cold Tear (THANKS DARREN!!!)
Sensory Emotive Network (same as above!)

David Galas-The Ghosts of California.  Ex-Lycia member who I've waxed enthusiastically about here.  This album is coming out this month on a pressed official CD. Yah!! Check his website...

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: November 02, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
Moonwalker-Trip.  GREAT minimal dub techno disc on Cold Tear (THANKS DARREN!!!)
Sensory Emotive Network (same as above!)

My pleasure. Though we're still experiencing major postal service delays due to the recent hurricane, I actually received my big Cold Tear shipment today, including that Moonwalker disc & others.

Have to look into that AD21 sublabel soon.
DARREN BERGSTEIN

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: November 02, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
new

phobos | darker
riverrun | la mer
silvercord | i smiled because i knew death is but a door
oystein jorgensen | antartica
sphare sechs | tiefschlaf
dreamstate & heiku | the north shore
kave | dismal radiance

all excellent and transporting        h

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3339 on: November 02, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »
Ran Kirlian-Formations
Joxan Ruiz-Gaze

Both of these are on Altera Orbe label, sister label of Ad21 in Spain.  Both excellent (reviews forthcoming).

Have to look into that AD21 sublabel soon.

Yes, I definitely agree about expanding Altera Orbe label, don't miss also their two releases by Landru, entitled "Neurotransmitters" and "Fimbria", plus his collaboration with Ran Kirlian "Waterfront". By the way, both, "Neurotransmitters" and "Waterfront", were reviewed on these pages, so feel free to check them out too.

Richard