Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 821164 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3340 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »
It has been fun exploring some of the labels that have been discussed here over the past week!

Some things on rotation this week:

Brambles - Charcoal (Serein)
Got turned on to this via an interview at Headphone Commute. Melancholic, cinematic music in the Broderick, Teague, et al. tradition. Mostly piano and strings. Highly recommended.

Andy Stott - Passed me by
I read Dave Michuda's comments on the latest release and it prompted me to return to this. Highly processed and treated electronic music, full of distorted samples that take me back 30 years. This particular album just seems to get everything right.

Steve Roach - Arc of Passion
This release didn't really resonate with me when it first came out, but I find myself going to it again and again in recent weeks. Not sure why. Nice set of atmo-pulse tracks framed between some majestic and spacious bookends.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:37:50 AM by chris23 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
FSOL-From the Archives Vol. 7
Peter Gabriel-So deluxe box
Emeralds-Just to Feel Anything
Mindspan (Silent Season)
Tangerine Dream-Legend soundtrack

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: November 06, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
Juta Takahashi-Hymn.  This is as good as everybody has been saying it is.  Great classic spacemusic a la Serrie, Stearns, Vangelis, Eno, etc.  Stratospheric but not at all dark or spooky. 

Andrew Forrest-Resonance.  This is another excellent album in the genre mentioned above, with some occasionally darker elements.  Serene and floaty. 

Pop Ambient 2012 (Kompakt).  Very good release that made me want to investigate some of the lesser known artists on here.  Otherwise, some (relatively) big names here like Bvdub, W. Voigt, and Marsen Jules. 

Dolphins into the Future-On Sea-Faring Isolation.  I really like the first half of this.  Imagine if Brian Eno had made an "underwater" themed ambient album in the early 80's; it might've sounded like this.  The second half more or less is more experimental, and consists of bird and water samples with some noodly electronic meanderings, which could've been cool for about a 5-min. track but it just goes on and on too long. 

Steve Roach-Dreamtime Return.  Classic, not much more to say.

Ishq-Lotus.  CD compilation, gathers pieces that were on other comps. I believe.  Nice stuff.  There's a new Ishq comp called "Bloom" that consists of previously unreleased tracks over about a 10-year period, I believe.  Looking forward to getting this one.

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
« Reply #3343 on: November 07, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
Hi drone on,

Many thanks for your sincere comment for "Hymn". I'm greatly honored and most grateful to you for your support.

Juta

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3344 on: November 09, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
ambient/electronic oldies but goodies:
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding [1981]
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear [1976]
Klaus Schulze - Timewind [1975]

non-ambient:
Andrew Bird - Hands of Glory  -  Awesome folk music recorded in a barn with his band all crowded around a solitary microphone.  One of my favorite records this year.
Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill  -  still loving this one.  Worth it for two songs, the 27 minute "Drifting Back" & "Walk Like a Giant".
Vic and Gab - Bridges and Guns  -  good release from a local band.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: November 12, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
Nigel Shaw - Dartmoor Symphony

Carolyn Hillier and Nigel Shaw - Weaving the Land.

Saw these two live on Saturday night - last saw Carolyn play in about 1995. It was really nice to see how they have developed in their sound and music craft.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: November 12, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »

Sphäre Sechs -  Tiefschlaf
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »
Sonitus Eco-It is Loneliness That Makes the Loudest Noise CD (Silent Season) This is a really good ambient dub (with more emphasis on the ambient) album, "dedicated to all the lonely people in mental institutions."  Ha.  Sometimes I can relate. 

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3348 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
Been spinning Phobo's 'Darker', and Stormloop's 'Nocturnal Winter' this weekend.  Good stuff!

Also re-listened to Steve Roach's 'Back to Life' this morning, I think it's one of his best.  Certainly a contender for Ambient album of the year.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
Mindspan-The Second Cycle CD (Silent Season).  Another excellent minimal ambient dub release, by the artist aka ASC.  The only thing I don't like about this label is the numerous now (about 4) cd's, including this one, I've received that were scratched, due to either sloppy handling in manufacturing, and/or shipping, as many are single cardboard sleeves.  I don't even bother anymore requesting replacements (as long as they play OK).  This is bad for collectors, though, who may want to sell these limited editions later because nobody's gonna pay top dollar for a scratched item!  :'( 

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: November 16, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »

Ramp - Astral Disaster, in a word, Brilliant!
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: November 17, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
Steve Hauschildt-Sequitur.  2nd solo from Emeralds member.  Synth heaven

Autumn of Communion (Fax).  Gorgeous album from Mick Chillage.  Maybe album of the year.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: November 21, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Now listening:

Mathias Grassow/Carsten Agthe-Beyond the Silence: Live at Gut Saunstorf (Gterma).  Excellent live album! 

Mathias Grassow-Alchemy II Wisdom of Fate (Gterma).  Quite excellent ambient tribal, massive drones and thunderous grooves.

Namlook/Montana-Labyrinth 5 (Fax).  Melancholy about this one as it's most likely the last Namlook release due to his passing November 8.  As far as I know there was another album planned with Burhan Ocal, "Sultan Murad," don't know if they completed it but if they did maybe the family will eventually release it.  Anyways, Labyrinth 5, it's a pretty good one, as are all the others in this series.  These aren't great or classics by any means, but good solid EM nonetheless. 

Ishq-Bloom (Virtual).  Some ho-hum tracks and some very good ones.  A mixed bag here.  Pieces recorded between 2001 and 2011, so it's kind of an "odds and ends" compilation type release.  I would say not essential.

Anticipating the postman's delivery of:

Ramp-Astral Disaster
Yagya-Rhythm of Snow reissue CD (yay!) 

Anticipating ordering in December:

Max Corbacho-The Ocean Inside 2CD (Ad21)
Steve Roach-Soul Tones (timeroom editions)

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
Max Corbacho-The Ocean Inside 2CD (Ad21)

thanks for the head-up on the upcoming Corbacho!

listening on my new hifi (i returned the Marantz which sounded just too plain and flat.. and exchanged it for a more decent Denon receiver)

bvdub & ASC - symbol #2
east of oceans - symbol #6
bvdub - all is forgiven

(i really can't get enough of Bvdub's uplifting soundcraft and vocals. 'all is forgiven' is really terrific as well (except for the kind of cheesy piano intros/outros)

steve roach - slow heat / vine, bark & spore (with jorge reyes)
(2 of my top-favs by Steve)

fear falls burning - he spoke in dead tongues
(sounds considerably better to me, today)

benjamin brunn - konig und drache
(some nice detail crafted ambi-dub-techno release)

mathias grassow & carsten agthe - beyond the silence
(very good live-disc by this brilliant duo, i only wish at times that the live-audio recording was done a bit better, especially the percussion parts)

ithaca trio - new music from the delta quadrant
(maybe the best thing i've heard from the Hibernate label..)

eivind aarset (with jan bang)- dream logic
(very ambient release for ECM standards, desolate, dark yet though exotic in spots.. maybe for fans of michael brook's Hybrid CD)

anticipating;

andrew chalk - forty-nine views in rhapsodies' wave
taylor deupree - faint (12k)
celer - without retrospect, the morning (glacial movements)
philippe lamy - slowfast (dronarivm)
steve roach - tales from the ultra tribe (with byron metcalf) / soul tones
martin schulte - slow beauty (lantern)
amir baghiri - the serenity (databloem)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:10:42 PM by jim02 »

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: November 27, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »

Great stuff from Grassow and Weiss, really like this

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3355 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
Parks - Hidden (Infraction)
Just discovered this late 2009 release. I absolutely love it. The artist does a great job at creating dramatic music without manipulating the tempo to achieve the effect. My wife complains that I've been listening to it non-stop for almost two weeks.

More discussion at: http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=2764.msg21378#msg21378

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »
Ramp-Astral Disaster.  Modern vintage EM at its best.

Robert Fripp-Radiophonics, A Blessing of Tears.  Always loved RF's soundscapes music the best out of anything he's done.

Move D/Namlook-The Retro Rocket.  1999 release on Fax. Meaty, beaty, spacey.

Amplexus 3" series: Roach, Vidna, Brennan, Djen Ajakan Shean, Stearns, Rich, Stratosphere, Temps Perdu

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
Francisco López ‎– Addy En El País De Las Frutas Y Los Chunches (immersive soundscapes based on heavily processed field recordings with an occasional deep Konerian low end)
Simon Fisher Turner - Berlin (3") (great limited 23' soundscape [only 59 copies] with the occasional auditory surprise; he still sounds heavily influenced by his past soundtrack work for Derek Jarman)

Forrest

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3358 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
Eivind Aarset - Dream Logic

Nils Frahm - Screws

Brian Eno - LUX

Paul Vnuk - Silence Speaks In Shadows

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: December 07, 2012, 02:14:38 AM »
Eno-Lux.  Wow, surprisingly good.  Thursday Afternoon shades.

Travis & Fripp-Follow.  Also very good.

Robin Guthrie-Fortune.  Another excellent solo album.  Sounds like Cocteau Twins without vocals again, though with a jazz feel.