Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 799204 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3380 on: December 19, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
David Galas (ex-Lycia)-The Ghosts of California
Lowlife-selected tracks mix CD
The Chameleons-Script of the Bridge

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3381 on: December 20, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
Meg Bowles - A Quiet Light
Wide open spaces. Drifting. Love it.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3382 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
non-ambient:
Andrew Bird - Useless Creatures - part of my quest to gather up everything Andrew Bird has done since falling in love with his two 2012 releases.
Japandroids - Celebration Rock  - This album and the Cloud Nothings, listed below, are great fun & kick all sorts of ass!
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

a m b i e n t :
Loscil - Sketches from New Brighton
Paul Horn - Inside the Taj Mahal
Robert Rich - Nest
Kane Ikin - Sublunar

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: December 22, 2012, 04:30:27 AM »
Lots of new genres to me lately. Jazz, classical, pop, folk musik. Lots of good things, but Philip Glass does stands out alot.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: December 23, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »
The track "Altus" by Steve Roach. It's an even better experience after listening alot to classical music such as Philip Glass and Penderecki.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3385 on: December 23, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »
The track "Altus" by Steve Roach. It's an even better experience after listening alot to classical music such as Philip Glass and Penderecki.

Altus is one of my favorite tracks.

I've been pairing these two recordings today. They complement one another nicely.

Peter Broderick - Float
The Dead Texan - The Dead Texan

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: December 24, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
Steve Roach--Soul Tones.  Son of Afterlight...  8)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: December 26, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
Robin Guthrie-Fortune.  Just another breezy, trippy Guthrie guitar fest.  Nothing different here, just more of the same, but it's all good, so add it onto the pile...btw, this one gets my vote for WORST ALBUM COVER OF THE YEAR.  It's a photo of some dice against a plain white background.  Ugh. 

Radio Massacre International-4 disc compilation I made off a big stack of their albums, esp. the ones where I didn't like all the tracks.  RMI has so many albums it's hard to keep track!  Not sure which album is which or what the track titles are, but don't think it really matters much anyway.  They're mostly long sequencer pieces with trippy, often blistering guitars.   

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
max corbacho - the ocean inside
(one of the best things i've heard this year, max has taken a very deep plunge here, i think the best thing he has done so far.
lots of stuff to take a 'deep dive' into it, delicate droning textures and atmospheres all around!)

mathias grassow - second gift of life
(still making up my mind on this one, but probably my favorite Grassow along with his 'Bloodmoon' for 2012.. and he has done a lot of things this year)

xoki & hieronymus - technicolour
(very great dub-techno for sure! i hope to look forward to another collab. by them)

grad_u - works & reconstructions
(this guy certainly seems to have talent for a 'minimal approach' of dub-techno, things seems to really lift off starting on the 4th track, damn!)

celer - without retrospect, the morning
celer - perfectly beneath us
(imo one of the most admiring deep sensual ambient acts of today, even though their(his) output is monstrious, the atmospheres are amongst the most intimate i do hear today.. i think the recent 'Perfectly Beneath Us' proves that)

vataff project - kalitz
(after a slightly disappointing 'Maeoma' on Ishq's label as heard on Bandcamp, i think this one is far more captivating, presenting an own sound with interesting, thrilling rhythm patterns)

and so on......

anticipating;

stephan mathieu - un coeur simple (baskaru)
stephan mathieu & david sylvian - wandermüde (samadhisound)
between - between (12k)
juppala kaapio - rewound groves (omnimemento)
chihei hatakeyama - bare strata (whereabouts)
hakobune - watching the prescribed burn (pure wave)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:17:58 AM by jim02 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: December 27, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for news about Sylvian!

Currently today:

Mathias Grassow-Bloodmoon.  This disc, on Gterma, is growing on me.  It's quite heavy and dark, but with some very nice subtle layering going on.  Highly recommend headphones on this one.

Mathias Grassow/Thomas Weiss-Outland.  Fantastic Faria label release.  This one's in my top five Grassow discs (out of a huge discography), so I rate it very highly. 

The Nails-Mood Swing.  80's New York band known mostly for their song "88 Lines About 44 Women."  This album contains "Home of the Brave," in my top five of all-time great rock/pop songs. 

Enigma-Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!  aka Enigma 3, I think this is Cretu's masterpiece, from 1996.  Hard to believe it was 16 years ago.  One of the few commercially successful/big sellers that I buy and is worthy of the hype.  And I'm really jonesing for a new album.  Unfortunately being prolific is not one of Enigma's greatest qualities.  ;D

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: December 28, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
Max Corbacho-The Ocean Inside.  Yawn.  This is 2CD's of perfectly perfect Steve Roach type drift that is just boring.  Love Max Corbacho, but this is not one of his better releases.  Major disappointment.   :(

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: December 28, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Patrick O'Hearn-Indigo.  I think this is O'Hearn's best overall album, it is just great all the way through.  Produced by Peter Baumann, ex-Tangerine Dream, released on the Private Music label in 1991. 

"Legend" soundtrack (Tangerine Dream).  Amazing music, with some great additional songs by Bryan Ferry and Jon Anderson.  Have loved this since my high school days, waaaay back in '86. 

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #3392 on: December 31, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »
Just got myself a Spotify Premium Account and already love it. Just explored Max Carbacho. Funny to read about him here. I have been listening to Ars Lucis on repeat and totally enjoy every second. So much good music to dive into thanks to spotify.

Max Carbacho - Light-Matrix Portal
so gentle and relaxing

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3393 on: December 31, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
Max Corbacho - The Ocean Inside
I see that this release has been a disappointment for some and a source of joy for others. I'm enjoying it. It provides a nice deep space (or ocean, I suppose) atmosphere, full of smooth, 'wash over your spirit' synth work. It is great background music for sleeping, reading, or writing. I agree with Drone On--there isn't much reward to be had in deliberate, deep listening. But I'm okay with that. ;-)

Pleq - My Life Begins Today + The Metamorphosis
Love this guy. I finally bit the bullet and ordered two more releases from U-Cover. (The Fallen Love by Pleq is one of my favorite albums.) I'm usually reluctant to order CD-Rs, but I like the samples from these discs so much that I couldn't hold back. I have no regrets.

Happy New Years all!

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3394 on: December 31, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Ringing in the new year with some old ambient...

Saul Stokes - Burning Igloo [1995] - http://saulstokes.com/album/burning-igloo
Michael Brook - Hybrid [1985]
Diatonis - edge of the dream world [1989]
Stars Of The Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra [1996]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:35:31 PM by Dave Michuda »

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #3395 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:47 AM »
Jon Jenkins - Beyong City Light
all of you a great start into 2013  :)

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: January 01, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Steve Roach - Journey of One

Part 1 is where it's at. I think I've said it before but the soft outro begs to be played louder.
It may not seem all that special to some, but to me it's a truly profound ending to an already brilliant piece...

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: January 01, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Igneous Flame - Pandora A very nice collaboration with Ensueno that I find myself hitting 'repeat' on a lot.

Steve Roach - Soul Tones A deep beatless drift album. First of a prospective 3-album arc. Looking forward to the rest of it

I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3398 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
Igneous Flame - Pandora A very nice collaboration with Ensueno that I find myself hitting 'repeat' on a lot.

Thanks ! Rudy (Ensueno) really deserves more exposure. From what I've heard of his work his diversity alone is impressive

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3399 on: January 08, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
I've been playing an odd mix of new and old things this week in the office. Here is a sampling of some of the older things that struck me as deserving of repeated listens:

Donnacha Costello - Awake on the fifth floor
Piana - Snow Bird
Anderegg - Anomia
Nest - Nest (Retold)