Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 815114 times)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3440 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
I go back and forth on Lux depending on the listening context.

The special edition of Drums Between the Bells has a second all instrumental remix version which I like a lot. Again, I like the poetry version when the moment is right.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3441 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
'Lux' by Eno.

Reminds me why I got into ambient music in the first place. It's economy is it's appeal, it may sound simple but it's very cleverly crafted. He doesn't need to add the proverbial 'kitchen sink' of sonic 'embellishments', just beautiful sounds.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 01, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
'Lux' by Eno.
Reminds me why I got into ambient music in the first place. It's economy is it's appeal, it may sound simple but it's very cleverly crafted. He doesn't need to add the proverbial 'kitchen sink' of sonic 'embellishments', just beautiful sounds.

Yes, I agree.  Sometimes simpler is better.  That's what I liked about Eno's Discreet Music.  Not too lush or overdone.  Just a simple delay line and a few well-placed notes.

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3443 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
Lux sounds algorithmic ... and a little mechanical for my taste.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 01, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »
Was it more disappointing than "Small Craft on a Milk Sea"?  That to me was disappointing because it was supposed to be a "return to form" for Eno, and it failed miserably there.  And I didn't even buy "Drums Between the Bells" after reading about it. 

"Lux" rules!  Don't be a hater!  ;D

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3445 on: February 01, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »
For me Lux is just okay. 

Anthony, I like your description of it sounding "algorithmic ... and a little mechanical."  It sounds too much like some of his other installation pieces.  I already have 4 or 5 of those recordings and this just didn't do much for me.

Scott, I agree that the special edition version of Drums is definitely better.  And also agree that the poetry is cool at the right time & place.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 01, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
I would agree that the mix on 'Lux' is drier and a bit more brittle than Eno's analog releases of the 70s and 80s.  The algorithmic or even mechanical nature of it doesn't both me that much, though.  I think it reflects Eno's graphic approach to composition that dates back to at least Music For Airports.  Maybe if there were more acoustic loops/recordings in the mix, it would sound a little "warmer."

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »
Rapoon-Seeds in the Tide 2CD.  This is an excellent collection of rare compilation tracks from '93-'99 on Disc 1, and the original version of "Messianic Ghosts" (which to me is better than the redux reissue on Klanggalerie).  Great sturdy digipak with artwork painting by Robin Storey.  Essential for Rapoon fans, especially appreciators of the "vintage" years like the early to late '90's. 

Mathias Grassow-Second Gift of Life.  A quiet floater, very nice, on Databloem.  Get out the headphones and take a journey...

Michael Brook w/Eno & Lanois-Hybrid.  1985 classic debut by Brook.  He never really did anything like this again (the drifty, quiet ambient), which is a shame.  Recommended for those who don't have this!

Seofon-Zero Point.  On Foundry/Hypnos.  Whatever happened to M. Bentley???

Thomas Koner-Novaya Zemlya.  This is a totally fascinating, engaging sound art experience for those who like extremely quiet micro-ambient soundscapes.  Not as bleak as I thought it would be.  My only complaint is the length, only about 37 minutes or something, but 37 excellent minutes nonetheless.   

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3448 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »
Taylor Deupree : Faint (Limited Box Set) The word around is that this is his best,  perhaps because it is certainly accessible, beautiful and has all the content that you would expect from the artist yet there is something different that makes it so special.  Of course the hardest part to find words for.....his best, why not, it is that good!

Forrest Fang : Animism  If space music is for intergalactic travel or journeying the vast dimensions within then this music has my feet firmly plant here on earth.  It takes me to places organic that I had only dreamed of, to places I did not know could exist and if at times my feet do leave this earth, it is the spirit in me that soars.  The musicality of Animism is astonishing.....theres a quality to it that reminds me of the sonics & musicianship from the ECM Records.  Production is solid and the timbral balance from track to track are evidence of great mastering.

Steve Roach / Dirk Serrie : Low Volume Music  My expectations were high for this and unfortunately they were not meet.  The sounds of each musician are clearly evident and it works well from that perspective yet after much listening my sentiment has not changed.  Perhaps with time it will.  These two gentlemen sometimes need time to get into their sounds.....so Im going to chalk it up to that as I have great respect for their separate & collaborative works.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »
Rain Tree Crow-Rain Tree Crow. With David Sylvian, which was basically Japan reforming without using the name Japan.   

Peter Gabriel-So expanded edition.  The remastering is awesome and the live set is mostly excellent. 

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours (35th Anniversary expanded edition).  One of the greatest albums of the 70's.  Good live album in this package, in addition to the demos. 

Segue-Pacifica (Silent Season).  A bit disappointed in this ambient dub techno release, it's not very original for the most part and a bit safe and boring.

Alteria Percepsyne-Cloaks of Perception (Other Heights).  This was a 2-CDR ambient dub techno release limited to 200 copies a couple years back.  I had to pay an arm and a leg for one after it sold out.  It's very, very good,luckily.   

Echo and the Bunnymen-Ocean Rain (remastered reissue).  I never liked the production on this album, with its electro-acoustic instrumentation, tinny drums, lack of bottom end, and other small quibbles.  Often hailed as their masterpiece, I would argue it's about their fourth best album.  The cool 60's vibe was still there but the post-punk furor and doom and gloom was absent for the most part.  They were getting all hopeful and using orchestras to augment their music! Still, some great songs amidst some strange experimental ones.  Generous bonus material, incl. "Life at Brian's" e.p. tracks and a couple live cuts from the OR album.   

Inade-The Incarnation of the Solar Architects (Loki Foundation).  Cosmic dark ambient.   

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3450 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
Krill.Minima - Sekundenschlaf
I'm really enjoying this release. Nice dub electronic ambient. 

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »
Forrest Fang : Animism  If space music is for intergalactic travel or journeying the vast dimensions within then this music has my feet firmly plant here on earth.  It takes me to places organic that I had only dreamed of, to places I did not know could exist and if at times my feet do leave this earth, it is the spirit in me that soars.  The musicality of Animism is astonishing.....theres a quality to it that reminds me of the sonics & musicianship from the ECM Records.  Production is solid and the timbral balance from track to track are evidence of great mastering.

Many thanks, Julio!  Very flattering of you to say these things and hope I can live up to it.

Regards,
Forrest

As for recent listening, I've been checking out an interesting song-oriented mostly live podcast called Radio Free Song Club that features 2 of my favorite songwriters, Peter Blegvad (Slapp Happy) and Peter Holsapple (dBs):
http://radiofreesongclub.com/show
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:09:41 AM by ffcal »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
Tangerine Dream-Poland (2011 Esoteric reissue).  This could be some of the most boring TD I've heard.  Recorded in 1983 in Poland.  Supposedly it's rated highly by fans.  There were a few passages I really liked but mostly it's very dry, bland, really ho-hum sound quality, with some new age cheesy pop moments that are SO dated it's not funny.  Klaus Schulze's Poland concert sucked too, so there you go.  Maybe it was the sub-zero temperatures that made the music cold as ice.  8)

Nefilim-Zoon.  Late 90's project by Carl McCoy of Fields of the Nephilim.  Like FOTN in spots but mostly it's very good atmospheric death metal, with lots of manic double bass drums, razor-like guitar riffs, and growled vocals. 

Iron Maiden-Live After Death.  I would say if you could only have one IM album in your collection, this should be it.  Recorded 1985 at the peak of their game. 

Journey-5 disc box set.  I think it's called "Classic Albums."  For twenty bucks you get Infinity, Evolution, Escape, Frontiers and Raised on Radio, in a nice little box, CD's packaged in mini-LP jackets.  UK import.  Would have been perfect had they not SKIPPED the album between Evolution and Escape called Departure, which has "Anyway You Want It."  The box even states "the first five albums featuring Steve Perry," and they leave one out. Nice going!  Anyways, this box brings back memories.  Some great music, but they were pretty spotty and did some really awful, cheesy, cringe-worthy stuff.  Have to keep my finger poised on the FF button when playing this set through!  ;D   

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3453 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
Iron Maiden-Live After Death.  I would say if you could only have one IM album in your collection, this should be it.  Recorded 1985 at the peak of their game. 

I'm showing my age here a bit, but I saw the Maiden on their first tour with Paul Di'Anno at Middlesbrough Town Hall. I liked their stuff very much then but I think they haven't really changed musically from their early days.
Incidentally, I also saw a band called 'White Spirit' at the same venue (well, in the Crypt) with Janick Gers, before he joined Iron Maiden. My last blast from the past was seeing an AC/DC soundalike band with a Mr Brian Johnstone as singer - before he joined AC/DC.

Jolly days...

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 11, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

I'm showing my age here a bit, but I saw the Maiden on their first tour with Paul Di'Anno at Middlesbrough Town Hall. I liked their stuff very much then but I think they haven't really changed musically from their early days.
Incidentally, I also saw a band called 'White Spirit' at the same venue (well, in the Crypt) with Janick Gers, before he joined Iron Maiden. My last blast from the past was seeing an AC/DC soundalike band with a Mr Brian Johnstone as singer - before he joined AC/DC.

Jolly days...

I saw Iron Maiden at The Rock Garden in Middlesbrough, again it was with Paul Di'Anno on vocals, they where pretty average in my opinion, could never understand why they got so big. My friend took over the lead guitar role in White Spirit, Jannick Gers left to join the Ian Gillan Band, before he eventually joined Iron Maiden. But yes those were the days 8)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

Awesome dark ambient, and beautiful packaging
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
Andy Partridge/Peter Blegvad - Gonwards (this one really exceeded my expectations.  It's feels like more of a Blegvad successor to his 'Kew Rhone' collab with John Greaves, but Partridge adds an eclectic and occasionally catchy edge to the production; the box comes with a signed card and a card game designed and illustrated by Blegvad)

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
Phobos, what's the awesome dark ambient?  The photo didn't appear.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: February 11, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
Phobos, what's the awesome dark ambient?  The photo didn't appear.

Yen Pox - Blood Music 2CD on Malignant :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: February 12, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
I didn't realize this group consisted of the guy from Blood Box.  I will definitely have to check out this release.  Thanks.  :)