Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 816928 times)

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3500 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
I "listened" to this today....

and by "listened" I mean I whipped out my guitar and tried to play along after not playing these songs for 10-ish years and trying to remember what part comes next....

I should really get back to the stack of ambient CD's piling up on my kitchen table that I bought months ago and then didn't listen to...

IMHO it is their best ever album, raw and powerful, nothing else they've done has ever come close to it.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3501 on: March 21, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
I "listened" to this today....

and by "listened" I mean I whipped out my guitar and tried to play along after not playing these songs for 10-ish years and trying to remember what part comes next....

I should really get back to the stack of ambient CD's piling up on my kitchen table that I bought months ago and then didn't listen to...

IMHO it is their best ever album, raw and powerful, nothing else they've done has ever come close to it.

I actually think 'Load' is their best work... not a popular opinion I know.
I'd rank this a close #2 tho... :)

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Ive been listening to Telomere's latest, Lux Primordia and its a real nice one.  No huge surprises, but lots of Serge and other analog goodness.  (Note:  it, unlike previous Telomere releases is a CDR, but I have no huge problem with this, especially given the current lack of adequate market support for most physical releases).

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
I didn't know Telomere had a new release out. I've always enjoyed his releases. Where is this available from, Forrest?
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »
Hi Harry,

It's available on CD Baby.  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/telomere  I heard about it from Mr. Telomere himself (I think I'm on his mailing list--I purchased his last one from CD Baby, too.).

BTW, I hope you and your back are feeling better.

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
Thanks Forrest, I just ordered it. Yes, I am doing much better the last few days. This old body just  doesn't bounce back like it used to.  ;)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 26, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
Sylvian/Bang/Honore--Uncommon Deities.  Spoken word read by Sylvian, kind of gloomy existential text like a Bergman film, with soundscapes and ECM type ambient jazz.  Very nice album.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 30, 2013, 01:56:07 AM »
steve roach - future flows
(i decided to go for the Flac download for now and purchasing my CD later on via Amazon when it comes by for a good price.
initially i didn't feel much for this release but after multiple listens over the last 2 days, i can feel it has enough depht to bite into it.. i agree the 2nd track feels a bit like the Ascension for Shadows sessions but halfway the track it unfolds into something very beautiful and graceful, i haven't heard from Roach for quite a while..)

eluder - through horizon
(digital edition while waiting for my CD to arrive, excellent release on Infraction! very nice breathing drones and sounds.. a current highlight for me)

marsen jules - the endless change of colour
(obviously a letdown for many 12k devotees but for me a 12k highlight. beautiful ever-shifting organ-like drones for 47 minutes)

vincent i watson - serene
(a classic sounding ambient album from the UK techno-head. surprisingly good, at times some tracks even remind me of Thom Brennan's majestic ambient works..)

iminazole - osaka and manipulated loops
(digital release on Cold Tear. heavy dub-techno reminiscent to Rod Modell's work, rather nice i would say)

celer - tightrope
(my warming up for his new Viewpoint CD)

seetyca - the luminous deep
(rather intense ambient-drone album divided in 3 long tracks, excellent one from Gterma)

now;

V.A. - Gyalpo (Gterma)

anticipating;

alio die & zeit - a circular quest (HSL)
luciano daini - terrae incognitae (HSL)
mathias grassow & closing the eternity (Aquarellist)
mathias grassow - sonnenwende 2CD (Gterma)
celer - i, anatomy [CD-version] (Stillstream)
david tagg - leaving this planet (Install Sound)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3508 on: March 30, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
Playing some recent Bandcamp purchases...

The Green Kingdom - Dustloops - Memory Fragments
Arts the Beatdoctor - Lost Track of Time; Unreleased 2002-2012
Benguela - Bush Radio Live
Unrecognizable Now - Two Rooms
33bowls - morning

Here's my Bandcamp profile for anyone that's interested...
http://bandcamp.com/davidmichuda

I'd love to see any profiles for other Hypnos forum folks.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 30, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

Therradaemon - Den Morke Munnens Sprak 
Glorious Dark ambient

Stormloop - Back to Dust
 Very nice ambient in a lighter mood

Innfallen - Three Days of Darkness
And back to dark ambient for this one
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3510 on: March 30, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

Here's my Bandcamp profile for anyone that's interested...
http://bandcamp.com/davidmichuda

I'd love to see any profiles for other Hypnos forum folks.

Here is mine.

http://bandcamp.com/rcfraley

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 01, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Sonmi451 - Four Peaks

Hadn't heard of this guy before the recent posts here.  Somewhat pleasant (especially the third track), though very short (34 minutes), and (to me ears) a little underproduced.  Almost sounds to me like it came straight from the laptop without much mixing or post processing.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
Chameleons--Strange Times Demos.  Bought this on eBay, what a fraud and ripoff.  These "demos" are nothing more than manipulated studio recordings,

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 02, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
Sonmi451 - Four Peaks & Ruis
I'm slowly in the process of trying to acquire everything I can by this artist. I agree with Forrest that the 3rd track of Four Peaks is a stand out track on the disc.

Ruis was released on the Slaapwel label--a label that specializes in handcrafted, limited editions that are designed to facilitate sleep and dreaming. Ruis is a single, 32-minute track that contains some nice drones, sprinkled with a variety of processed sounds that accent things nicely. As much as I enjoy listening to it, I have to confess that I don't find it good music for falling to sleep. The improvised parts vary too much in their volume and some of the drone work has borderline abrasive qualities.

Pixel - Mantle
I have a love-hate relationship with Raster-Noton. Some of their releases really grab my attention. Some of them just don't go anywhere that I find interesting. This new release by Pixel is really cool and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It is very prototypical of the RN genre, but nothing feels gratuitous; everything is deliberate and well organized.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: April 08, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
Led zeppelin--Celebration Day.  I'm still blown away by how good this is. 
The Police--Live.  How great were the Police?!!  If in doubt, get this
Rush--A Show of Hands.  Live 1986.and 1988.  Polished but visceral.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3515 on: April 08, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
Here is my Bandcamp Profile to date.....http://bandcamp.com/digitalvoices

What I like is bandcamp connects you to others that have similar music taste....I have discovered music I might have passed on or not even discovered left to my own devices.  Sure, nothing that special in the grand scheme of things, yet it is, because it is within the single most largest "lossless" download music site that I am aware of.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #3516 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »
Bonobo - The North Borders (great new Album. Really digging all of those tunes)
Ellen Allien - LISm (not that much into Alliens regular stuff, but this soundtrack is awesome)

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »
Wire - Change Becomes Us (I'm really digging their new one--a bit of Pink Flag, a bit of 154, a little of everything)

Forrest

Anodize DB

• View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
Wire - Change Becomes Us (I'm really digging their new one--a bit of Pink Flag, a bit of 154, a little of everything)

Awaiting my copy - I ordered one of the bundles via pinkflag.com, which includes the spec. ed. disc, the new Wire book, & t-shirt. Hopefully sometime over the next week, but intl postage being what it is, who knows...

However, been playing the hell out of lately, and re-investigating, as it were, Object 47, their disc of a few years back. Like most Wire albums, it revealed its many sonic delicacies thanks to repeated listening. "Mekon Headman" & "Are You Ready" particularly are two of the finest drops ;) Wire's produced in the 00s ("One of Us", too). Lyrically, the wordplay of Newman & Lewis is unparalleled in rock - simply brilliant. Looking forward to their show in NYC in July.

Though I prefer the more experimental (ne้ electronic) approaches of their post 80s phase(s), I've been a major Wire enthusiast since Pink Flag, in addition to owning all the members's solo albums, plus adjunct projects & labels (Dome, Duet Emmo, HALO, He Said, He Said Omala, Newman's Swim label releases, etc.). And let's not forget the significantly underrated masterpiece of electronica that was the lone Wir album The First Letter, which even devotees of the band seem to either ignore or dismiss (to their disadvantage, I might add).

Personally, I've felt the boys capable of very few bum notes throughout a large catalog & across decades of recalibration & reinvention. As you might deduce, they're pretty big in my book. Any other forum denizens other than Forrest of a similar persuasion?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:05:22 PM by darren bergstein »
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 10, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Well I love that song "Ahead," but don't think that qualifies me as much of an expert on their discography.  ;D