Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 786507 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3660 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:56 AM »
Ian Boddy--Liverdelphia (DiN). Excellent live cd, ltd 500 copies.

Ken Camden--Space Mirror (Kranky).  Cosmic ambient guitar album that recalls the mellower Emeralds music, and also early TD, Gottsching, Fripp, etc.  Took a blind stab at this and was very pleased I picked this one up.

Darren Tate--A Strange Artifact (Fungal).  I got this for $2.99 at Amoeba.  Very trippy stuff.  Tate did some work with Alio Die previously.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3661 on: September 15, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
Blamstrain - Disfold
A favorite of mine from the Sending Orbs label, released in 2006. Airy ambient music with very subtle beats. The details are wonderful; great for headphones listening. Samples/Buy: http://store.blamstra.in/album/disfold

Description without a Place - Filaments
Experimental ambient from APK and Entia Non/James McDougall on dataObscura. I don't want to make Anthony blush, but this is a pretty badass release and one of the better collaborative discs I've heard. APK's artistic keyboard skills combined with Entia Non's "let's throw bits into a ceiling fan" approach work surprisingly well together. Samples/Buy: http://www.dataobscura.com/proddetail.php?prod=DO-034

Virlyn - Man Asleep
From ETALABEL. This is a moderately dark ambient release, focusing mostly on experimental manipulations of acoustic sources. This is likely to appeal to folks who enjoy Deaf Center and some of the Miasmah releases.  Samples/Buy: http://etalabel.bandcamp.com/album/man-asleep

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: September 15, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
Steve Roach - Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces - Disc 3: Recent Future

Monumental. And those final tracks... possibly my favorite moment in ambient music. Just when you think the music cannot take you away any further... The Spiral of Time's Fire Burns On.... so surreal, yet strangely comforting.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3663 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
Experimental ambient from APK and Entia Non/James McDougall on dataObscura. I don't want to make Anthony blush, but this is a pretty badass release and one of the better collaborative discs I've heard. APK's artistic keyboard skills combined with Entia Non's "let's throw bits into a ceiling fan" approach work surprisingly well together. Samples/Buy: http://www.dataobscura.com/proddetail.php?prod=DO-034

Many thanks for this, Chris.  8)

And you know, this is probably my personal favourite album on the DataObscura label.
It has a beauty, complexity and unpredictability that works for me every time I hear it.
I think it is a shame it is not so well known.

Anthony
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: September 16, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Oddly, I've been revisiting Description Without Place a lot myself lately, and I agree that it IS fantastic. For sure one of my favorite releases from Anthony. By the way, how ya been, Anthony? :)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Other stuff I've been fixated on recently:

The Boats- Ballads Of The Research Department, and The Ballad Of The Eagle. These are both great, the addition of Norbury on cello adds so much to these albums. Some tracks on "Eagle" are surprisingly dark and gloomy, though still beautiful.
Optical Frameworks- Surrounded By Fog; dark and dense synth fog, with some eerie background voices and mysterious sound samples.
A-Sun Amissa- desperate In Her Heavy Sleep;  Dense, thick violin/cello/synth workout. Very gloomy and desolate, like winding your way through a haunted forest at twilight. 
Pedestrian Deposit- East Fork/North Fork, and Austere. Oh, I guess you could call this ambient/industrial. Cold, machine-like synths and glitches, with treated cello passages. Sometimes rather harsh, at other times strangely hypnotic.
The Circular Ruins- Falling Into The Sky, and Invisible Cities. These are also perennial favorites of mine from Anthony.
Taylor Deupree- Faint; heard it all before, but that doesn't stop it from being a nearly perfect ambient album.
Also, selected tracks from The Remote Viewer and The Archivist. The man behind this music is Craig Tattersall, a member of The Boats.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:30:55 PM by Joe R »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3666 on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
JOE ::: great to see you back here :)
Been a while.
I've been well, and hope you have too.

Thanks for the positive album comments.

Also excellent to see you enjoying The Boats -- I love their work.

email me !

Anthony
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
also good to see you back joe
i think i sent an email a while
back wondering where you were
even apk was not sure

missed you music input
especially when you go darker    h

np

false mirror | live at kulturnacht ulm
havdis | the hidden islands
matthew florianz | molenstraat
jason sloan live on sadayatana
circle of pines | darkwater pond

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: September 17, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
Thanks hjalmer! I don't think I got the email, or at the very least I overlooked it. I'd have answered if I had known about it. I didn't leave for any one particular reason, lots of things contributed. Things got crazy at work, a few family problems, and a bizarre streak of health issues distracted me a bit, and by then I was just out of the habit of visiting Hypnos, I guess.

I did visit this forum from time to time, but only as a spectator, just to read musical recommendations. This is where I learned of Gigi's passing, which was very sad. There was a time that we emailed very frequently. Such a gifted, passionate and considerate man, he will be missed.

By the way, you might want to check out the Optical Frameworks download that I mentioned. Dark, dense, and eerie (Most of it anyway). Think I found it at bandcamp...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:43:32 PM by Joe R »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: September 17, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Hey Anthony, I emailed you at dataobscura, please let me know if you don't receive it. My email's been acting weird lately.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #3670 on: September 20, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
Most listened-to album of the Summer:

Black Sabbath, 13
Some so-called Sabbath fans (my friends) have scorned this album without giving it a real chance, but I adore it, having probably given it around a 100 listens so far. Definitely better than Never Say Die! and Technical Ecstasy, I would even be so bold to say that I prefer it overall to Sabotage. Sixth favorite Sabbath album after Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath... Tony Iommi is a true hero.

Best Ambient Surprise:
Boards of Canada, Tomorrow's Harvest
If you are a fan of the soundtracks of Blade Runner, Day of the Dead, The Thing, this is a must listen. I've had this in rotation in my stereo with other soundtrack music and mistook if for the soundtrack to an amazing movie...
Powerful and affecting reminder that the original Warp actors (Autechre, Plaid, Boards of Canada) are still amazing and doing vital and maybe career-defining work.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3671 on: September 22, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
Brian McBride - The Effective Disconnect
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ST

Great drone-meets-chamber music albums.

This year marks Kranky's 20th anniversary. There is a nice article on the subject here:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/kranky-records-joel-leoschke-20th-implodes-camden-gutzeit-plotkin/Content?oid=10883767

Stars of the Lid and Loscil will be performing on Dec 15th as part of a four-night Kranky celebration in Chicago. I'm considering hitting that.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: September 22, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
Blamstrain - Disfold
A favorite of mine from the Sending Orbs label, released in 2006. Airy ambient music with very subtle beats. The details are wonderful; great for headphones listening. Samples/Buy: http://store.blamstra.in/album/disfold

Virlyn - Man Asleep
From ETALABEL. This is a moderately dark ambient release, focusing mostly on experimental manipulations of acoustic sources. This is likely to appeal to folks who enjoy Deaf Center and some of the Miasmah releases.  Samples/Buy: http://etalabel.bandcamp.com/album/man-asleep

I downloaded that Virlyn- Man Asleep album, and was very impressed! Yes, it's fairly dark ambient, but not clichéd at all. Rather eerie and beautiful, with some violin and cello to flesh it out, and a track or two has beautiful, if mournful, female vocals. Good stuff!

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3673 on: September 22, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, Joe. I think it has the potential to be a "sleeper"--one of those albums that might not make a huge impression of folks at first, but will stand the test of time well.

Speaking of The Boats (re: your other post): Just noticed this upcoming Fluid Audio release featuring Craig Tattersall:  http://fluidaudio.bigcartel.com/product/the-seaman-the-tattered-sail-light-folds
The samples are fantastic. But, like much of the Facture stuff, the damn thing is sold out before even being released. I want to stab myself in the throat.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: September 23, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
Chris- it's sold out already?! Well, that certainly solves the problem of whether I'm going to order it or not. I agree that the samples sound great, but I have no use for any other musical format than CDs. I have no turntable, and my DVD player is not connected to my stereo... though I suppose that could be done rather easily, even for a technology challenged guy like me.

By the way, you mentioned that the Virlyn- Man Asleep album has the potential to be-- a "sleeper". Well said ;-)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:27:57 PM by Joe R »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3675 on: September 24, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
I'm hoping that Seamen and Tattersail makes it to a download version soon.
Everything I've heard from it sounds excellent.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3676 on: September 24, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
By the way, you mentioned that the Virlyn- Man Asleep album has the potential to be-- a "sleeper". Well said ;-)

I wish I could be that clever on purpose!

Aaron Martin / Christoph Berg - Day Has Ended
A new release from Dronarivm, which is currently being curated by Pleq. This is a split album with tracks that fall nicely into the experimental/minimal/modern composition category.  The Berg tracks are outstanding. And, although the first Martin track is excellent, I'm still warming up to the other ones. (I'm not a huge fan of pipe organs.) The CD is still in the mail, but the Dronarivm photos suggest that the packaging will be lovely. Samples/Buy: https://dronarivm.bandcamp.com/album/day-has-ended

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3677 on: September 25, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Blamstrain - Disfold  -  bought this and a few other Blamstrain releases based on chris23 recommendation.  Thanks!
Moby - Innocents  -  I've listened to this at NPR Music but don't have it yet.  I haven't listened to Moby in years but his new single, "The Perfect Life" really clicked with me so I tried the new album & it sounds pretty good.
Simon Bainton - Visiting Tides  -  another Bandcamp discovery, good ambient with a sea/water/ocean/tides feel.
Esmerine - Dalmak  -  the music combines "DIY rock, new folk and modern classical/contemporary sensibilities," with a Turkish/middle eastern feel.  Excellent!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: September 26, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »
Tonight:

Pleq & Segue- The Seed; I forgot how great this disc is! I'll bet I haven't listened to this in 2 years... glitchy, atmospheric and lazy ambient, with some looping that provides a slowly evolving rhythm without use of percussion. A very relaxing listen... I've discovered this all over again, and it makes me wonder why in the world I stopped listening to it in the first place.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3679 on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
I love The Seed.

Oöphoi & Ran Kirlian - The Physics Of Heaven
I ordered this disc based on Richard Gurtler's fine review.  This is an outstanding recording. I think it would be easy to write it off at first because it isn't terribly dynamic. But it is beautiful in many respects. It is mostly drone-based work, but it evolves in ways that give the full work a great amount of depth and diversity. The stand out track, for me, is the 20-min White Shores I, which contains some nice ocean sounds that, when combined with the theme of the disc, creates a experience that is both terrestrial and ethereal. My only real complaint is that the recording feels very "mid range;" there isn't much going on in the low registers. I don't know if that is a mastering issue or a recording issue.

Buy/Samples here: http://www.alteraorbe.com/aor/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=429&flypage=ran_flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Richard's review: http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=6259.0