Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 817194 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3680 on: September 28, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
The Circular Ruins- Land Of The Blind- A swampy, psychedelic brew; "busy" music, with 83 different things going on all at the same time, but without being chaotic or disorganized. This is another great Anthony Kirby recording I seldom seen mentioned on the forum. Too bad-- there's nothing else quite like it.

Optical Frameworks- Aether Blueprints- a Bandcamp discovery. I love this guy's stuff. These tracks feature field recordings enhanced by synth, percussion, etc. Moody and foggy and very lo-fi, but with a great sense of distance... Like standing in a barren field alone, listening to the far off sounds of life and activity.  I prefer his Surrounded Fog disc, which is similar, but with more emphasis on the synth work, but this is good in it's own right.

Hey Chris- I used to love ANYTHING by Oophoi, and played it almost constantly, but somehow I lost the feeling for his music, and most other dark ambient as well. I don't understand it!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:00:08 PM by Joe R »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3681 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
Hey Chris- I used to love ANYTHING by Oophoi, and played it almost constantly, but somehow I lost the feeling for his music, and most other dark ambient as well. I don't understand it!

You're probably just going through a phase. A terrible, terrible phase. ;-)

I just listened to the samples for Aether Blueprints. This seems like pretty dark stuff too. ;-)  I really liked certain tracks, and the "listening to the far off sounds of life and activity" really captures the spirit of the album well. Glad I followed up on this!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: September 29, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
Adam Michalak--Returning to Essence (Silent Season). Great disc of dark ambient dub techno.  On my top 10 of 2013 list.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »

I just listened to the samples for Aether Blueprints. This seems like pretty dark stuff too. ;-)  I really liked certain tracks, and the "listening to the far off sounds of life and activity" really captures the spirit of the album well. Glad I followed up on this!

Glad you liked it. You'd probably like Surrounded Fog even more. It's a bit more fleshed out with ominous, foggy synthwork.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »

every now and then I find myself digging this (and Microspirals) out again for more listening.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3685 on: September 30, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for the heads up on Optical Frameworks.  I just picked up his latest, "Little Piece Of Perseverance" on Bandcamp.  Just the right combo of dubby & spacey.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
Banjo Music of Japan--various artists

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for the heads up on Optical Frameworks.  I just picked up his latest, "Little Piece Of Perseverance" on Bandcamp.  Just the right combo of dubby & spacey.

You're welcome, Dave! ...and I wasn't aware of that Little Piece Of Perseverance download. Will have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3688 on: October 02, 2013, 06:25:01 AM »
Oophoi - An Aerial View

Not quite what I expected given Gigi's description of it, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3689 on: October 03, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
I think An Aerial View is a great release. It is quite subdued and, like some of his better long-form work, has a journey (no, not Steve Perry) or voyage-like feel to it.

Currently digesting Light Folds, by The Seaman and the Tattered Sail. Really interesting work, but it will take a good week to give it all a deep listening. I managed to grab a copy from Experimedia before they sold out. If anyone is still interested in the release, Fluid Audio sent out an email today announcing a few extra copies of the CDs + DVDs for a good price: http://fluidaudio.bigcartel.com/product/light-folds-cd-dvd. I wouldn't be surprised if the included download codes also contain codes for the vinyl too. (The original package contained download codes for all the relevant media.)

Some helpful reviews and samples:
http://www.ambientblog.net/blog/2013-09-22/the-seaman-and-the-tattered-sail-light-folds
http://acloserlisten.com/2013/10/01/the-seaman-the-tattered-sail-light-folds/

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:29:44 AM by APK »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3690 on: October 03, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Many thanks for the heads up on that, Chris.
Just ordered a copy of the CD/DVD set.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: October 03, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Many thanks for the heads up on that, Chris.
Just ordered a copy of the CD/DVD set.

I did, too.   Thanks, Chris.

A seven-hour length for the full project does seem a bit longish.  There are very few (LaMonte Young, Robert Rich) who could get away with that! ;)...

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:41 AM »
I hope you two enjoy it!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3693 on: October 04, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
I now have the downloads (they give you codes) ...  and it's the bee's knees !   8)
But I was already a big fan of The Boats and other things by Mr. tattered sail.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
Steve Moore--Light Echoes (Cuneiform). Amazing album of sequencers and heavenly ambience.  Fans of early Schulze, TD, Ashra, Hoenig will absolutely love this!!!  I know I do!!!!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:45 PM »
I now have the downloads (they give you codes) ...  and it's the bee's knees !   8)
But I was already a big fan of The Boats and other things by Mr. tattered sail.

I didn't receive a download code (hmmph).  Did you order the less expensive version?

Mazzy Star - Seasons Of Your Day (pleasant--no big surprises, though more stripped down)

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3696 on: October 05, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
Forrest: yes, I ordered the less expensive CD/DVD version ... the "few extra copies" in Chris' above post.
Received the codes the day after. Was a bit of an odd/obscure email, so I'd check that you have not overlooked it.

Seems that above page for those extra copies is no longer available. Can't find the page again.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3697 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
Re: Light Folds: That is weird. I've only ever received download codes from Facture via paper slips in the packaging. That's great news for you, though, Anthony: you can start digesting hours and hours of music right away! And it appears they've sold out of the extra copies; that link is dead and they've removed the non-deluxe version of the release from their main web page.

I've managed to listen to the CD and Vinyl tracks a few times; I'm setting aside the DVD tracks for a dedicated listening  next week. I must say that this is an absolutely brilliant effort. The release, as a whole, has a somber, isolationist feel to it, with the primary instrumentation being piano, strings, and trumpet (yes, trumpet!). Those recorded fragments are looped and obscured in a variety of creative ways, leading both to tracks that skirt the fringes of minimal, modern composition (e.g., Light Folds, CD2) and tracks that are experimental and glitchty (e.g., the various permutations of "Her Whispers" where processed static and tape hiss provides part of the structure for the pieces).

Is it too much music? I worry that Forrest may think so once he has a chance to listen to it.  ;) In one of my favorite movies, Wonder Boys, there is a well-regarded author who has delayed releasing his sophomore novel for years. Many people are worried that he's blocked and he hasn't been able to produce anything of interest. The problem turns out to be the opposite: he's been writing and writing, but hasn't been able to reign the material in to provide it with an arc that contains a natural beginning and end.

In some ways, Light Folds reminds me of this author's manuscript: There are multiple versions of the same song, using manipulations of common source material, and the artists simply chose not to edit it down to an album of a more manageable length. I appreciate this, however. The sheer vastness of the material is part of what adds to its mystique and makes me want to dive in and explore it. And, even the tracks that are variations of the same theme (e.g., Tear In the Sails --> A Void in the Sails) diverge in ways that enrich the listening experience.   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:59:39 PM by chris23 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 05, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
Maybe you should start a separate topic for this one release. ;D

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3699 on: October 05, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
This Currently Listening topic is now only for people who are currently listening to this one release. I will delete all other posts.  ;D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk