Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 814641 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3700 on: October 05, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
 :)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3701 on: October 05, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
np.

- The Seaman & The Tattered Sail :: Light Folds

This is really excellent !
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 05, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »
Forrest: yes, I ordered the less expensive CD/DVD version ... the "few extra copies" in Chris' above post.
Received the codes the day after. Was a bit of an odd/obscure email, so I'd check that you have not overlooked it.

Seems that above page for those extra copies is no longer available. Can't find the page again.

Dang.  I think you were lucky, or I was too late, or both.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll get lucky when the physical copies come in.

Forrest

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 06, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Forrest: yes, I ordered the less expensive CD/DVD version ... the "few extra copies" in Chris' above post.
Received the codes the day after. Was a bit of an odd/obscure email, so I'd check that you have not overlooked it.

Seems that above page for those extra copies is no longer available. Can't find the page again.

Dang.  I think you were lucky, or I was too late, or both.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll get lucky when the physical copies come in.

Forrest

I wonder if there are plans to release a downloads version of this in the future? I hope so, but I haven't seen a mention of that anywhere.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3704 on: October 06, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
Joe: my download was via Bandcamp, though not a public page.
So they presumably do have it all up there, which bodes well for a possible download version.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: October 07, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
O÷phoi - Nocturnes

After reading Ben's recollections in the other thread, I am listening to this dark little masterpiece again and remembering just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I really miss looking forward to a new release from Gigi. Hard to believe this one came out in '06. Has it been that long?
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: October 07, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
O÷phoi - Nocturnes

After reading Ben's recollections in the other thread, I am listening to this dark little masterpiece again and remembering just how deep the rabbit hole goes. I really miss looking forward to a new release from Gigi. Hard to believe this one came out in '06. Has it been that long?

Bens post made me put this out for a listen to soon as well - I always thought it was a great album.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
Got this in the mail today:

Still need to listen to it though. I'm sure it's great.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
np.

- The Seaman & The Tattered Sail :: Light Folds

This is really excellent !

My physical copy of the a la carte version came yesterday.  No download code, but the DVD has audio from the LP, hours of additional pieces and even audio from the CDs, so I'm not complaining ...:)

Frpm what I've heard so far (about an hour's worth) it's a nice, if sprawling work, with neo-classical underpinnings.  Some of it even sounds like you, Anthony!  Artwork was especially nice.

My only slight quibble is that some of the extended pieces could have benefited from a shorter length.

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

I liked the second disc, but I thought the first one had too many darned birds!

Forrest

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »

I liked the second disc, but I thought the first one had too many darned birds!

Forrest

Well I'm halfway through the first disc and yeah, there are a lot of birds. I don't find it to be nearly bad enough to detract too much from the overall sound but it does seem a bit overboard. I do like it overall so far. The drones are really nice.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: October 08, 2013, 11:05:32 PM »
A good album, maybe better for new listeners.   Fans will recognize pieces of tracks from previous albums by Alio Die.  Overall it felt cut and pasted, but still a decent release.

sleepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: October 09, 2013, 01:30:07 AM »
Brian McBride - The Effective Disconnect
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ST

Great drone-meets-chamber music albums.

This year marks Kranky's 20th anniversary. There is a nice article on the subject here:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/kranky-records-joel-leoschke-20th-implodes-camden-gutzeit-plotkin/Content?oid=10883767

Stars of the Lid and Loscil will be performing on Dec 15th as part of a four-night Kranky celebration in Chicago. I'm considering hitting that.

Does anyone have any info on this event?

Found it!  http://www.lincolnhallchicago.com/Shows/12-15-2013+Stars+Of+The+Lid
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:46:24 AM by sleepy »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3713 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
The Ashes of Piemonte - Datura Notes
A brilliant new release from Wil Bolton and Lee Anthony Norris, from the Perth-based Twice Removed label. This double CDr album contains four long-form drone works based primarily on acoustic samples with a mix of environmental sounds and light, distant synths. The tracks are airy and ethereal and, combined with the track titles (e.g., "Endless Sleep in the Garden of Dreams"), serve as a guide along a foggy path between dreaming and waking. This is pretty fantastic stuff and I strongly encourage folks to give it a listen if you haven't heard it already.

Samples/Buy: http://twicerememberedtwiceremoved.bandcamp.com/album/datura-notes

BTW, M. Griffin, there are some blatant Lovecraft overtures here; share it with your friends.  ;)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: October 11, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
Mazzy Star--Seasons of your Day.  Love this album, fantastic stuff.

Bvdub & Loscil--Erebus.  I've only played it once and very disappointed.  The last track is more ambient and more what I was expecting.  The rest is pieces that start off quiet, then turn into cacophonous irritating blasts of noise via Bvdub.  Hard to tell what Loscil did as it sounds all Bvdub to me.  This album also has no theme of ice/cold like the other Glacial Movements releases.  Obviously the label owner likes Bvdub but why not stick to the labels vision?

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: October 13, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
I've been on an APK musical binge lately:

Nunc Stans- Peninsula, and Stanzas From The Museum Of Dreams. Both are high quality, rather dark albums, and since "Stanzas" is a free download you can't beat the price.

But what's really surprising me is two APK discs I had bought years ago- Nunc Stans and Mystified- One Thousand Dreams, and Anthony Kerby and Tomas Weiss- Distant Shadows. When I first got these, I listened to them a few times each, and neither one clicked with me for some reason. I revisited them recently and am amazed at what I've been missing- both of these are powerful albums that reveal mysterious, dark worlds of isolation. 1000 Dreams is the trippier of the two, due to a backdrop of strange crackling and rumbling sounds, and other sound samples. Both discs are highly recommended... 

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #3716 on: October 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
That's nice to hear about "One Thousand Dreams". Coincidentally, I recently took this one from my archive and listened, and I agree. APK has a knack for transforming my sounds into complete musical ideas. I really appreciate his talent and efforts.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3717 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Spinning the three releases by Broken Harbor, thanks to his October Bandcamp sale: http://brokenharbour.bandcamp.com/

Excellent stuff. I had streamed some of this at 128 in the past, and enjoyed it, but now that I've dived in and given everything a deep listening with headphones, I must say that this is really impressive work. I'm not sure if I have a favorite. The self-titled release has the darker feel of the three, but I think I find the imagery and atmosphere of Gramophone Transmissions to be really compelling.

TheBigLow

• View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
Ooh, thanks for mentioning the Broken Harbour sale. I was deeply impressed by "Geometry of Shadows," and I've just downloaded the other two. I love this forum -- so many amazing recommendations come through.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3719 on: October 16, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
A few more Bandcamp purchases...

Old Joy - It Slowly Disappears - sometimes glitchy, sometimes post-rock, sometimes ambient.  Good stuff.
Sonmi451 - Hummingbird - very similar to other Sonmi451 releases, good but nothing groundbreaking.
Colorlist - Sky Song - this one is jazz, but just a bit off, a little something mixed in that gives it a slightly different tinge than straight jazz.
Myke Dodge Weiskopf - ShortWaveMusic - The Muezzins of Mali

Does anybody else have the new Arovane album?  I've had it for about a week and I hate it.  I am a big Arovane fan but this release has totally left me cold.  Maybe about ten years ago I would have been fascinated with the syncopated beats & glitches but I've grown tired of that sound.  There are some good tracks here but mostly they just annoy me.  Definitely my most disappointing release of the year.