Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 753132 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #3760 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Facture is releasing a new Orla Wren album in early December that contains reworkings of tracks from these sessions.

I've preordered this one already:)  The "art" package approach they have to their releases is special.  Hard to tell if the music is enhancing the art, or the other way around (or both).  It's an approach I wish more labels would take (especially indies), but I'm sure it's costly and time consuming to do.  Another good example of this would be the Time Released Sound label.

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bc
« Reply #3761 on: November 22, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
I preordered it too, Forrest. I didn't want to take a chance since Facture's stuff sells out so quickly!

I think you're right: there is the potential for powerful synergy between music and art/packaging. Part of what makes Facture's Light Folds such a powerful release is the art, the photographs, the posters, and the varied media for the music. The music itself is wonderful, but the packaging (both the detail and the depth) elevates it to a level that it would not have achieved on its own. Both Facture and TRS have mastered this process in a way that few other indies have.

Now playing:
Finval - Voyager
A new ambient release from the U-Cover label. Long-form, space synth tracks. I think fans of Oophoi and other like-minded artists will enjoy this. (But, like an Oophoi release, be prepared to turn up the volume if you actually want to bathe in the details.)

Listen/Buy: http://www.u-cover.com/mailorder/description.php?II=5319&UID=2013111108285666.249.64.4%C2%A4cy=eur

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 23, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Maps & Diagrams- Foal, Koom, and Toopudus- 3 extremely relaxing EPs of pure, floating ambience, but with enough strange glitchy details to keep you actively listening. Excellent!

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: November 23, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Tau Ceti - Four Short Pieces

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 23, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
Marcin Wasilewski Trio- January- great, rather minimal jazz: piano, bass, and drums, and that's everything they need to make beautiful music. Ya gotta love these Polish jazz masters ;-)

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Deuter- Haleakala

Not a huge fan of Deuter but this is a great album IMO. I feel like he really declined after he left Kuckuck though.

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: November 23, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
Deuter- Haleakala

Not a huge fan of Deuter but this is a great album IMO. I feel like he really declined after he left Kuckuck though.

Deuter - Tibet: Nada Himalaya 2

That their best album IMO

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: November 24, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
Tau Ceti - Somnium

(highly recommended for o÷phoi fans)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:37:34 PM by Immersion »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 8

Second time I listened to this 1,5 hour mammoth symphony.

I'll save you all the trouble and post the most awesomely epic part :D

Karajan conducts Bruckner 8 (final movement, from the recapitulation)

From around 1887. Hans Zimmer and the likes -> eat your heart out.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: November 25, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
NP: Alio Die & Zeit- A Circular Quest

Great stuff

chris23

• View Profile
    • bc
« Reply #3770 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
Redfish - Redfish
A relatively new release from Letna & Alexandre Navarro on their SEM label. Experimental electronics from outer space.

Samples/Buy: http://shop.semlabel.com/album/redfish

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 27, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
Celer- Without Retrospective, The Morning

Another great release on Glacial Movements.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: November 29, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Stuff I listened to today:

Deep Listening Band- Sanctuary
Mathieu Ruhlmann + Celer- Mesoscaphe
Gareth Hardwick- Of Sea And Shore (listening to it right now)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: December 01, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
Steve Roach/Vidna Obmana- Well Of Souls- OMG, I forgot just how good this is. This might be my favorite disc from either Steve OR Dirk.
The Circular Ruins- Degrees Of Separation- Some magical moments in this one. Especially love Doon Hill and Empty Hands, but it's all good.
The Boats- Ballads Of The Darkroom- How can you not love this? It's The Boats!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: December 01, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Rale- I Sit By The Window And Watch walls And Ceiling- excellent dark/deep and isolationist ambient. Nothing truly groundbreaking here, although he does make good use of distant radio transmissions in a few tracks, which adds an alienating and rather eerie effect. Mostly it works so well because he's just so damn good at what he does. Anybody who loves dark ambient should pick this up.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bc
« Reply #3775 on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
Any good samples online for that Rale, Joe? I found the Bandcamp page, but they don't have samples on it. (Kind of defeats the purpose, imo.)

now playing: The Frozen Vaults - The Machine Stops
The Machine Stops is a new release from Wist Records as part of their book report series. The Frozen Vaults is a collective of musicians, including Pleq and Spheruleus, who focus on experimental electro-acoustic music (with an emphasis on strings and piano). I thought The Frozen Vaults had one of the strongest entries in the Headphone Commute ". . . and darkness came" compilation from last year, so I was eager to hear this release. Unfortunately, it is a mixed bag. The first track is quite cool; the second of the two tracks is a bit too cacophonous for my tastes. Nonetheless, I would recommend that people check it out if you're a fan of any of these artists.

Samples/Buy: http://wistrec.com/wistbook-010/

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Any good samples online for that Rale, Joe? I found the Bandcamp page, but they don't have samples on it. (Kind of defeats the purpose, imo.)

Hmmm... I don't know. I bought the disc at the Monorail Trespassing website, and I assume they have samples there, but I don't remember. They probably do, though, because I rarely buy a disc without listening to samples first. At any rate, I think you'll like it!

Now listening: The Fun Years- god was like, no --I just love these guys. It's a guitar & turntable duo, that features droning guitars along with random snippets of turntable noises, music and random voices. It all blends very nicely together into a laid-back crackly soundscape, thoroughly enjoyable. Every time I listen, I notice new random details of sound that I had missed before.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bc
« Reply #3777 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
Gurun Gurun - Gurun Gurun
Sawako - Bitter Sweet

Fun experimental pop and ambiance from Home Normal and 12k, respectively.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
A-Sun Amissa- Desperate In Her Heavy Sleep; A tangled thicket of plucked guitars, weeping violins and cellos, and synths/keyboards. Tragic stuff.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #3779 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Inside Llewyn Davis Original Soundtrack Recording - awesome, can't wait for the movie.
Saffronkeira + Mario Massa - Cause and Effect - another new album of electronics & trumpet, yay!
Cross My Heart - Hope to Die - EP - a four song ep that's worth buying for the awesome sample of King Crimson used in the song "Lover."
John Vanderslice - Diamond Dogs - Vanderslice covers Bowie's entire Diamond Dogs album and it's awesome.