Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 783722 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4000 on: March 01, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
Grey Frequency- Cold Geometry- Dark, grainy, desolate, windswept, and a little creepy. This has become one of my favorite downloads in the last few months. Favorite tracks: Dyatlov Pass and Rain Hill. Read about the Dyatlov Pass incident on the internet. Really fascinating!

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4001 on: March 01, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
Disintegration Loops #6...... :)

William Basinski - Disintegration Loop 6 (dlp6)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: March 02, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
no-man - returning jesus

Non ambient - but definitely hints at our genre. Beautiful music. Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree fame side project.
Perfect Sunday afternoon listening.  8)

teo

• View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: March 02, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Raison d'etre - The Stains of the Embodied Sacrifice (disc 2)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4005 on: March 03, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
Anthony Paul Kerby & Tomas Weiss - Revelation
Great electronic-ambient music from two of our forum members. Nice and varied, and well worth headphone listening. Favorite track: Discovery

Samples/Buy: http://databloem.com/home/12-antony-paul-kerby-tomas-weiss-revelation.html

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »

Northaunt - Barren Land.

This has got to be in my top ten ambient releases. Stunning, dark atmospheric soundscapes of the North. Inspired by Spitsbergen and Greenland. Nice package also with some great landscapes of these remote lands.

http://northaunt.bandcamp.com/album/barren-land-digibook-download

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »
Margins - Fragile Existence
This is a late 2013 collaborative project between Dan Crossley (Facture/Fluid Audio) and Craig Tattersall (The Boats). Once again, this is an amazing product from Facture in which the packaging/art is as central to the release as the music. The music itself is decent, but not remarkable. It largely combines field recordings and tape loops to create a fractured but ambient atmosphere. The Crossley nature prints that accompany the release are absolutely beautiful, however, and are worth checking out on the Fluid Audio site regardless of how you feel about Tattersall.

Chris,

Saw this release pop up on the Fluid Audio list again, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 05, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »
Forrest: I hope you enjoy Fragile Existence. Musically, I think the last two tracks (Brook and Wood) are the highlights of the release. But the photos are what make the experience a true treat.

Recent spins:
Wintersilence - Submental Vol. 2
Excellent drone work with great depth from the El Culto label. This is encoded as one 55 minute track, but there are clearly discrete tracks on here that morph into one another in the smooth ways that I'm accustomed to in some of Tomas' work. I'm not exactly sure who Wintersilence is, but drone on suggested that Grassow is involved and Discogs corroborates that possibility.
Samples/Buy: http://www.el-culto.com/artists/submental/vol2wintersilence.html

Tomas Weiss - Zeitlos (Sleep Edition)
One of my favorite tracks of the year expanded into a 60 minute epic journey. Not an essential purchase if you have the proper Zeitlos album, but a beautiful, supplemental dessert nonetheless.
Samples/Buy: http://www.el-culto.com/artists/tomasweiss/zeitlos-sleep-edition.html

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 05, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Rhea--The True Color of Titan's Lakes.  Deep space stuff a la Phobos,Tau Ceti, Oophoi, etc.  Got this at Groove Unlimited website.

Nik Tyndall--Plejaden Suite, Trance Dance.  A couple of his early albums around the time of his Hearts of Space release called Lagoon.  Sort of melodic and new agey, but although still very nice atmospheric music.  My only criticism of his music is it sounds like all digital synths with preset sounds.

Bernd Kistenmacher--Totally Versmold.  This is basically live versions of his Thoughts album, which I didn't have so very worthwhile. 

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4010 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
Optical Frameworks - Vibrant  -  more ambient & less musical than the other Optical Frameworks releases but still interesting.
cv313 - dimensional space  -  very typical Echospace music, good dubby beats & synth washes.

non-ambient:
Elbow - The Take Off And Landing Of Everything  -  haven't really listened to this yet as I just pre-ordered it today but got the immediate download.  First time through sounds excellent.
St Vincent - St Vincent  -  Excellent!  But then I have a thing for Annie Clark.  ::)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 08, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
Porya Hatami - Shallow
New release from the Tench label. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff: electro-acoustic looping and noodling with a mixture of field recordings, clicks, and pops. The sounds feel as if they are bubbling up to the surface. Joe R--this is a great followup to Land and quite similar in style. Porya also seems to have a lot of new releases lined up across the world, including new collaborations with Lee Anthony Norris on Carpe Sonum and ...txt.

Samples/Buy: http://www.tenchrec.com/

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 09, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the tip on that new Porya Hatami, Chris. Unstable is good as well, you can pick that up on Bandcamp.

Meanwhile, I took Dave Michuda's tip and downloaded Optical Frameworks- Vibrant. I love this stuff. It's a very diffuse, distant-sounding recording. Listening through headphones, I get that same vague sense of aching distance that I get when I stand in a empty field at twilight, all alone. Beautiful and peaceful and still, yet so isolated...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Right now:

Nunc Stans & Mystified- One Thousand Dreams- One of Anthony's unsung masterpieces. This is so good and so trippy, but I never see anyone else talking about it. Definitely needs more exposure.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 09, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »
Hi, Joe. I streamed Unstable earlier today. You're right--great stuff. I might have to place an order for it. Also gave Optical Frameworks a listen. Good stuff too.

thirdsystem: I gave Northaunt a listen too. It freaked me out a bit--in a way I can appreciate. Nice find.

Now playing:
M. Ostermeier - The Rules of Another Small World
From the curator of Tench Records. Very similar in spirit to the Porya Hatami release from the same label. One part piano, one part electronics, one part found sounds, and one part dusty processing. This is a really neat CD. And the cover art is crazy compelling.
Samples/Buy: http://www.tenchrec.com/TCH04.html

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 09, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Chris, I think you're gonna love Unstable.

Meanwhile, I'm looking up the M. Ostermeier disc...

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4016 on: March 09, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Enjoying the Tench label releases in general.....thanks for the heads up Chris

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4017 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
Right now:

Nunc Stans & Mystified- One Thousand Dreams- One of Anthony's unsung masterpieces. This is so good and so trippy, but I never see anyone else talking about it. Definitely needs more exposure.

Thanks Joe.
A track was actually played on HOS a few weeks ago, so not completely overlooked.
Here is its page if anyone would like to hear some samples:
http://www.dataobscura.com/proddetail.php?prod=DO-042
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:14:03 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
I encourage everyone who hasn't heard One Thousand Dreams to take a listen to the samples. But the music is subtle, so it won't grab you by the throat at the first listen. The music is deep and complex, and reveals itself layer by layer- kind of like peeling an onion down to it's core. You will be rewarded when you take the time to listen and assimilate the sounds. A great, great disc, but unfortunately it took me a few years to appreciate it's brilliance.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 10, 2014, 01:36:56 AM »
Mozart's Requiem -

up to the point that his student completed it after his death. I don't know if 'knowing' that Mozart didn't finish the music made me listen differently, but the last parts did feel unlike the earlier parts, perhaps more bombastic than he would have written.

but who knows, I could be imagining it.