Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 788601 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4020 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
Mozart's Requiem -

up to the point that his student completed it after his death. I don't know if 'knowing' that Mozart didn't finish the music made me listen differently, but the last parts did feel unlike the earlier parts, perhaps more bombastic than he would have written.

but who knows, I could be imagining it.

Hi Seren,
I wasn't a huge fan of the Requiem when I first heard a portion of it, but enjoyed it more after I heard Colin Davis' rendition of it.  For me, the recording really captures the visceral essence of the piece as a last testament.

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 10, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
I have to admit coming to it via the film Amadeus.....

but I did enjoy the music and the way he used the orchestra and choir in the music.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4022 on: March 10, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
At work today, some random choices courtesy of my "Instrumental Music for Work" playlist on Spotify...

Arve Henriksen
- Chiaroscuro
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic
Svalastog - Woodwork
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4023 on: March 11, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it completely change the way I listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:38:13 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it complete change the way listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.

Yes, I remember that movie, too.  It was a bit of an eye-opener hearing some of Mozart's darker works in that movie, like Don Giovanni.  Since then, I've appreciated his music more, especially the piano concertos.

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4025 on: March 11, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Janek Schaefer - Lay-by Lullaby
This release has three noteworthy qualities. First, the sounds and imagery do a good job at creating a psychological space. When I listen to this, I feel as if I'm sitting on the side of an infrequently traveled highway, watching the sun go down, and hearing the occasional car speeding past. Second, the tracks are named after radio stations and the transition between tracks occasionally resembles the spinning of an old radio dial. Finally, the music itself is nice. It is familiar ambient in many respects, but captures some of the Western vibe that is represented in Roach/King. Adding to the sense of place and atmosphere in a subtle amount of radio static layered into the mix. Anyhow, this is a stand-out release for 12k. I'm not sure if it will appeal to everyone, but I feel that Schaefer accomplished something noteworthy. 
Samples/Buy: http://www.12k.com/index.php/site/releases/lay-by_lullaby/

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it complete change the way listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.

Yes, I remember that movie, too.  It was a bit of an eye-opener hearing some of Mozart's darker works in that movie, like Don Giovanni.  Since then, I've appreciated his music more, especially the piano concertos.

Forrest

I was intrigued to learn from the liner notes that many facets of the film are factually based, even if the writers have made more of a story out of them.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 12, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
Checking out this Nachtplank album on bandcamp;

"Ephemerol" Another Lee Anthony Norris side project. Fairly dark, atmospheric exploration of another world, complete with alien like voices and sounds from other lifeforms. Superb, will be getting this one soon.......

http://nachtplank.bandcamp.com/album/ephemerol

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »
Listening a lot to Mick Chillage's Saudade still. He's hit the sweet spot on this release.

Recent arrival that is interesting:

Various Artists - Liquified Sky
A data DVD from the LINE imprint with music and videos from Francisco López, Evelina Domnitch & Dmitry Gelfand, COH, Paul Prudence, and Asmus Tietchens. This is pretty neat stuff if you're into microsound or experimental electronic music. I'm not sure that this has much replay value, but the first few listens are excellent, especially with headphones.

Samples/Buy: http://www.lineimprint.com/editions/dvd/line_063/

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
Morton Feldman- Rothko Chapel

A minimalist classic.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4030 on: March 16, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »
VA - I am the Center: Private Issue New Age Music in America, 1950-1990  -  I'm generally not a big fan of "new age" music but this collection is pretty darn good.
Blamstrain - Selected Ambient Dub Works  -  I've been on an extended ambient dub kick & just picked of this fine release on Bandcamp  -  http://store.blamstra.in/album/selected-ambient-dub-works-06-09
Oxycanta III - Curated by Mahiane  -  a nice collection of more ambient dub.  Also on Bandcamp - http://ultimae.bandcamp.com/album/oxycanta-iii
Benoît Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes  -  as long as I'm talking Bandcamp, here's another from there.  One of my favorite albums of the year so far.  https://losttribesound.bandcamp.com/album/hymnal-remixes

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4031 on: March 17, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »

I have been listening to the additional tracks that come with this remastered original....... :)....http://projektrecords.bandcamp.com/album/structures-from-silence-30th-anniversary-deluxe-3-cd-remastered-edition

Looking forward to receiving the CD

I have the original cd release but never did get the 2nd remastered release......I feel this one is worth it for the bonus tracks.  Structures from Silence still stands as my favorite Roach recording to this day!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:24:12 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 17, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
That new structures track is lovely; order placed!

Now playing:
Nacht Plank - Psychology of Religion and Understanding St. Catherine
A 2013 release from Hic Sunt Leones featuring some of Lee Anthony Norris's recordings made shortly after his move to Italy. This album fits with the HSL vibe in a surprisingly natural way: field recordings that merge with digital manipulations, hypnotic waves of sounds, and an underlying sense of the mystical. There are some familiar, recycled sounds here that Norris fans will recognize, but, in my opinion, this is one of his masterpieces and really helps demonstrate the range of his artistry. 

I bought the digital version of this to save on shipping. But the limited edition CDrs can be ordered (and samples streamed) via the Alio Die website: http://www.aliodie.com/index.php?_w=1&__fidSez=89&cnt=195&__pg=

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 17, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Chris,

Where did you find this digitally?

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
I bought it on the mp3 store on Amazon since I have some gift credits there. But I've also seen it on iTunes. Both stores distribute HSL releases (at least in the US).

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: March 17, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
Thanks.Amazon does not sell downloads in Canada.I saw it on Itunes but I loathe anything MP3.Lossless or bust !

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4036 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
That new structures track is lovely; order placed!

I agree Chris.....Im not sure but the sounds on the new track seem current and I find that I can breath when I listen.  Sometimes a certain amount of the music we love here can be tense, beautiful but not restful as I find the new piece in this Structures from Silence anniversary edition.  Is this Roach's interpretation 30 yrs later?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »
Aqua Dorsa (Oophoi and Enrico Coniglio)--The November Earth.  On Gterma label Sweden.  Great dark haunting quiet sounds, one of last projects by Gigi before his passing.  On a big stereo you will miss the subtlety, therefore headphones listening recommended at moderate volume.  Coniglio provides abstract guitar drones which meld with Oophoi soundscapes. 

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4038 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
Here it has recently been:

- A Winged Victory For The Sullen
- Collin Thomas :: summer:porch:night (he does very minimal work, often with lots of field recordings)
- Steve Roach :: Destination Beyond  (I like his rhythmic works the best)
- Múm :: Finally We Are No One (very very precious)
- The Boats :: Words Are Something Else (can't have enuf Boats)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4039 on: March 20, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »
Playing at the office today:

Vidna Obmana - Memories Compiled 2
Steve Roach - The Dream Circle
Wintersilence - Submental Vol. 2