Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 785061 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4060 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »
Richard Ginns - In Float
A 2014 release on Tattersall's Cotton Goods label. This is electo-acoustic ambient at it's finest. The atmosphere is a fragile one with sounds hovering, sustaining, and then vanishing. Listening to the album brings to mind the image of motes of dust floating through a sunbeam. 

To tie this into the YouTube thread: This is an album that I never would have bought if the artist hadn't uploaded it to Bandcamp. The cost of buying this limited edition release, combined with the shipping from the UK, was prohibitive. I just didn't want to take a chance based on the few samples I heard on the Cotton Goods website. But after streaming the album once on Bandcamp, I found myself returning to it over and over again and finally bought the digital version as a way of showing my support.

Stream/Buy digital: https://richardginns.bandcamp.com/album/in-float (Curves on the Surface is my favorite track)
Buy physical: http://boomkat.com/cds/909351-richard-ginns-in-float (which is now on sale!)

That's a beauty!  Thanks for the discovery, Chris.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4061 on: April 02, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
I had a feeling that you might like it, Anthony. I bet Joe R. will too; it has a Porya Hatami quality to it.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
Rush--Spirit of the Airwaves.  Live radio broadcast from 1980 show in Missouri.  This is so much better than their official live album Exit Stage Left, which had horrible muddy sound which ruined it.  I highly recommend this CD to all Rush fans!!!

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4063 on: April 04, 2014, 06:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the heads up drone on......I had Exit Stage left in vinyl an never bought it again when I switched to over to cd. I will check this out.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: April 05, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Tangerine Dream - Wavelength OST re-issue from La La Land. Brilliant music on this and nice sound quality. Extensive sleeve notes about the film and music.

New purchase Specta Ciera + The Circular Ruins - Middle Distance. Another lovely atmospheric album from DataObscura. Several plays already, love it.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: April 05, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
I had a feeling that you might like it, Anthony. I bet Joe R. will too; it has a Porya Hatami quality to it.

Chris- you and Anthony are both right! Excellent album, I downloaded it at Bandcamp after I read your post this morning. I also downloaded Sea Change, a previous album by Ginns. More of the same- wonderful stuff!

Please keep up your musical explorations, Chris. You're discovering some real beauties :)

I'm also getting into Anthony's collab, Middle Distance. The first and ninth track are incredible, and probably the most accessible tracks on it. Tesla, (the ninth track) is especially tense and eerie, a really captivating piece. The rest of the album is falling into place for me, and although it was disorienting at the first listen, I think I'm really gonna love this one. It was a matter of becoming familiar with the uncharted musical terrain that I was treading through- it has a very unusual, unpredictable quality that's rapidly sounding like a strength to me --the music morphs continuously, but seamlessly. Quite magical really, a trip into a cryptic fairy world...  I don't even know why "fairy world" comes to mind, but somehow that's what it reminds me of.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:51:00 AM by Joe R »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: April 06, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »
This morning:

I revisited Specta Ciera & The Circular Ruins- Middle Distance- Yup, this one is destined to become one of Anthony's great albums.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4067 on: April 06, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »
Thanks for the head's up on Sea Change, Joe. That absolutely belongs in my Wish List--along with Anthony's new one. (I just wish the Wish List wasn't growing so fast!)

Recently playing:
Ashlar - St. James' Gardens
A neat collaboration between Wil Bolton and Phil Edwards. It is mostly guitar and various electronics being looped and processed over urban field recordings. It seems kind of meh on a first pass, but it quickly grew on me. It is easy to get lost in these soundscapes; supreme mind-wandering music.

Sample/Buy: http://hibernaterecordings.bandcamp.com/album/st-james-gardens

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: April 06, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the head's up on Sea Change, Joe. That absolutely belongs in my Wish List--along with Anthony's new one. (I just wish the Wish List wasn't growing so fast!)

Yes, those damn wish lists- a guy just can't keep up with 'em.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:01:27 PM by Joe R »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Again: Specta Ciera & The Circular Ruins- Middle Distance- Yes, it's magical. I'm not sure why it resonates with me so well... Track 8 is hallucinatory and absolutely riveting, but far too brief in my opinion. This could have been extended into a truly mind-bending 15 minute experience.

I should learn the names of the individual tracks, but I find that more and more, I purposely ignore the titles when listening to ambient music. Titles often steer you into pre-determined mindsets. But without the "burden" of titles, your imagination is free to roam where ever. Anybody else feel this way?

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »
Good point about track names Joe. I also do this with ambient music, although occasionally I am prompted by the music to check out what the artist was inspired to name the track. Always find that is interesting. Specta Ciera & The Circular Ruins- Middle Distance been on fairly constant play past few days along with.......

Tangerine Dream - Chandra - The Phantom Ferry Part II which I am finding to be magnificent. Fairly chilled, laid back album with hints at melancholy and ambient. Superb stuff from Mr Froese, still making wonderful music after all this years.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
........ But without the "burden" of titles, your imagination is free to roam where ever. Anybody else feel this way?

I can agree with this - when first recording I never gave track names.

and on 'Lament' we used symbols instead of titles.......

However I can see that if we all stopped naming albums and tracks it would be hard to differentiate between releases by the same musican, let alone different musicians.

"...I'm really digging the third track by Steve Roach on his third album out this year....."
"....is that the track with no rhythms on the album where all the others have rhythm?...."
"...No, it's the track with glurpy sounds and what sounds like a hypatpotamus hiccuping...."
"....oh, I thought that was the fourth release this year - but then I was counting the collaberation with Lady Gaga - you know, the album that sounds like her second one but with the deep space track followed by the australian desert one...."
"....oh, I heard that last week, I was counting it as her 5th album this year, not Steve's fourth!!..."
:o ;D :o

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4072 on: April 08, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
Many thanks Joe and Thirdsystem for comments on Middle Distance.
Great to see it getting some enjoyment and praise.

I want to give a big thanks to Devin Underhill (Specta Ciera) for this one. He did some very fine work to start the project off. I just took it to its final state.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: April 08, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
........ But without the "burden" of titles, your imagination is free to roam where ever. Anybody else feel this way?

"...I'm really digging the third track by Steve Roach on his third album out this year....."
"....is that the track with no rhythms on the album where all the others have rhythm?...."
"...No, it's the track with glurpy sounds and what sounds like a hypatpotamus hiccuping...."
"....oh, I thought that was the fourth release this year - but then I was counting the collaberation with Lady Gaga - you know, the album that sounds like her second one but with the deep space track followed by the australian desert one...."
"....oh, I heard that last week, I was counting it as her 5th album this year, not Steve's fourth!!..."
:o ;D :o

Lol! Yes, I can see how no titles could lead to such confusion  :)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4074 on: April 08, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
That cracked me up.  :)

David Newlyn - Disintegrating Suburban Dream
New release from Hibernate. Urban field recordings (a recent theme in many of the electro-acoustic ambient releases form the UK, it seems) and minimal piano, with subtle strings and electronics on occasion. My wife liked this, which is either great news or cause for alarm.

Listen/Buy: https://hibernaterecordings.bandcamp.com/album/disintegrating-suburban-dream

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: April 09, 2014, 05:55:46 AM »
Also been on constant play the past week, newly arrived..........

Nachtplank-Echo Ark

This is yet another stunning album from Lee Anthony Norris, amazing quality of ambient releases from him recently. This one , for me is actually the best yet. Beautiful, warm, haunting, uplifting music. The CD has sold out at ...txt, but it is available on bancamp ....
http://nachtplank.bandcamp.com/

Also just arrived through the letter box this morning Steve Roach - Structures from Silence (3-disc, 30th anniversary edition). Thanks to Julio for mentioning this initially. First play in progress......gorgeous  8)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: April 09, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
I ordered that nachtplank CD, but after almost 2 months I find out it's a pre order.  When I requested a refund as it Still wasn't even completed, I got no response and had to file a PayPal claim.  Terrible label that txt.  Plus, $30 for one CD is a bit excessive.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
I ordered that nachtplank CD, but after almost 2 months I find out it's a pre order.  When I requested a refund as it Still wasn't even completed, I got no response and had to file a PayPal claim.  Terrible label that txt.  Plus, $30 for one CD is a bit excessive.

They are all pre-order on ...txt. At least all are glass mastered CDs unlike some, I think that is why he does the pre-order thing. I do admit patience is required ( not easy  ;)) . It is a one man band type of label, ie Lee Norris. He has recently moved backed to the UK from Italy so turnaround time should improve hopefully. That is a pity you gave up hope on the CD Drone On, Definitely worth the wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Check out the stream on bandcamp.

PS The reverse is true for myself btw. Postage costs by the US mail are scandalous to the UK, so I have to pick and choose my purchases carefully. At least the exchange rate is pretty good for us here though at the moment, not so good for yourselves maybe.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4078 on: April 09, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
went through a massive cd ripping phase where i added at least 3 or 4 days of music to my itunes...  fun to revisit cd's I haven't heard in 4 years or more. 

recent spins...  deepchord, yagya, maurizio
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
n p recents

altus | black hole
forest fang/carl weingarten | invisibility
jeff johnson/vir unis/chris short | aqua culture
m griffin | sudden dark
never known | on the edge of forever
numina | the haunting silence
oophoi | the dreaming of shells