Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 817571 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4120 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »
It's one of those very consistent albums that flows wonderfully, I don't think she even knows its repeating.  ;)

If your wife is anything like mine, she'd be oblivious to ALL the music you play. For instance, I could play in succession... oh, let's say your new one, Middle Distance, then Taylor Deupree, and then something by Alio Die. She wouldn't notice a difference, seriously. She'd say it all sounds the same  ???

Right now I just listened to Robert Rich- Echo Of Small Things- I love this album. Magical, mystical, and mysterious. And as an added bonus, it really un-nerves  our cats  :)  They look nervously around the room while their ears revolve like little radar dishes, as they try to assimilate the sounds. Very entertaining!

By the way, has anyone heard Robert Rich's Nest? Opinions would be appreciated, good, bad, or indifferent.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: May 03, 2014, 07:17:48 PM »
And I'll have to look into Honeysuckle.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4122 on: May 03, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
"She'd say it all sounds the same."  That is mystifying.
But wait a minute ... I've probably said (many times) all 80's music sounds the same  ;)

NP.
The Incredible String Band :: Be Glad For The Song Has No Ending.
Quirky and wonderful 70s Brit. folk.

Honeysuckle is my favourite of Stefano's albums.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:41:50 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #4123 on: May 03, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »

By the way, has anyone heard Robert Rich's Nest? Opinions would be appreciated, good, bad, or indifferent.

Hi Joe,

if it helps a bit, here is the link to my review of "Nest" CD published on these pages in November, 2012:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=5526.0

Richard

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
Well thanks, Richard! That's one I must have missed.

This morning: Robert Rich- Calling Down The Sky- I'm on a definite Robert Rich kick.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: May 04, 2014, 05:54:54 AM »
just been checking out............

No.inc - Early Reflections

A partnership between former FAX artists , Material Object and Atom, on their new "No." label.
http://no-ware.bandcamp.com/album/early-reflections. Spacy, ambient, drones, occasional hints of the East. Very interesting. Not so keen on the more experimental Part V perhaps but will be getting this download fairly urgently.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: May 04, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »

This morning: Robert Rich- Calling Down The Sky- I'm on a definite Robert Rich kick.

Joe, I am now spinning "Premonitions 1980-1985" 4LP Box Set by Robert Rich. If you are also into vinyl, definitely a must-have sonic document showcasing huge talent and creativity of Robert when aged between 17 and 22!!! I just bought yesterday a turntable because of this beauty. :) The Box Set is available directly from Robert, for US orders only, while all others should go directly through German Vinyl On Demand label. Once again, it's highly recommended!!!

http://robertrich.com/premonitions-1980-1985-is-here/
http://www.vinyl-on-demand.com/-1-402-472.htm

Richard

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »

Joe, I am now spinning "Premonitions 1980-1985" 4LP Box Set by Robert Rich. If you are also into vinyl, definitely a must-have sonic document showcasing huge talent and creativity of Robert when aged between 17 and 22!!! I just bought yesterday a turntable because of this beauty. :) The Box Set is available directly from Robert, for US orders only, while all others should go directly through German Vinyl On Demand label. Once again, it's highly recommended!!!

http://robertrich.com/premonitions-1980-1985-is-here/
http://www.vinyl-on-demand.com/-1-402-472.htm

Richard

Wow... I'll bet that's really good. Is it along the lines of Trances And Drones? I'm gonna pass on this one, simply because I don't feel like buying a turntable again. If I had known years ago that vinyl was going to make a reappearance, I would have kept my turntable...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:14:02 AM by Joe R »

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: May 04, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Amp - Heart And Soul Dissolves

Amp is actually one of my biggest influences and this is an excellent release. A lot of their work isn't even ambient though.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
Steve Hillage--Rainbow Dome Musick.  This timeless masterpiece is high on my all-time faves list.  Stunningly beautiful two long tracks.  Ethereal in the extreme.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
Aidan Baker - Letters

If you can appreciate slightly noisy guitar ambience, this is an excellent album.
New album available now!

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: May 05, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »
Yet another listen to Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer 2014

Disc 2. The music that was written down for the film but never recorded or released. Some really great stuff on this.

Steve Hillage--Rainbow Dome Musick.  This timeless masterpiece is high on my all-time faves list.  Stunningly beautiful two long tracks.  Ethereal in the extreme.

Love it !! Listen to Rainbow Dome often.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: May 05, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »

Wow... I'll bet that's really good. Is it along the lines of Trances And Drones? I'm gonna pass on this one, simply because I don't feel like buying a turntable again. If I had known years ago that vinyl was going to make a reappearance, I would have kept my turntable...

Joe, is an all-inclusive set featuring recordings ranging from deeply immersing dronesculpting through rather ear-bending experimental improvisations to more uplifting sequencer based compositions. Actually, Vinyl On Demand website features three sound samples and you can find there also in-depth stories behind each track, it's definitely a very interesting reading even without owning the box set.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:54:51 AM by richardgurtler »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4133 on: May 05, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
Recent plays:

Vir Unis - The Drift Inside
A favorite of mine. The last track, Deepest Dreams, blows me away.

Jaja - Stars
Nice deep space ambient.

Wintersilence - Submental Vol. 2
Drones on top of drones.

--

Speaking of Robert Rich and buying turntables, etc. I was one of those sad people who held on to my VHS player instead of buying a DVD player until Robert Rich's Somnium was released on DVD in 2001. That was the event that led me to finally update my system!

According to Robert's newsletter, Premonitions will be available digitally once the vinyl is sold out. I'm tempted to buy the vinyl, but it has a hefty price. And I'll probably regret passing on it years from now.  :(

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
I can understand bringing back the vinyl record format, simply because so many people claim that vinyl has a fuller sound, with higher frequencies and lower lows. I'd love to hear feedback from forum members here who hold that view. But what I don't understand is... WHY DID THEY RESURRECT THE CASSETTE TAPE? In my opinion, it's a very flawed format that I was glad to see dead and buried. Does anyone else remember painstakingly rewinding, by hand, the cassette tapes that had been "eaten" by your cassette player? You seemingly had miles of tape to wind back in without tangling it up. Sometimes you were successful, but the tape never sounded quite the same because of the wrinkles that occurred during the rewinding. Grrrr... and back then I was a real stoner, and rewinding the tape was a real buzz-kill.

What's next? Re-introducing the 8-track tape? 

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »
I can understand bringing back the vinyl record format, simply because so many people claim that vinyl has a fuller sound, with higher frequencies and lower lows. I'd love to hear feedback from forum members here who hold that view. But what I don't understand is... WHY DID THEY RESURRECT THE CASSETTE TAPE? In my opinion, it's a very flawed format that I was glad to see dead and buried. Does anyone else remember painstakingly rewinding, by hand, the cassette tapes that had been "eaten" by your cassette player? You seemingly had miles of tape to wind back in without tangling it up. Sometimes you were successful, but the tape never sounded quite the same because of the wrinkles that occurred during the rewinding. Grrrr... and back then I was a real stoner, and rewinding the tape was a real buzz-kill.

What's next? Re-introducing the 8-track tape?

Yeah, I feel the same way as you do about cassette tapes. I know of a few labels and musicians that have done this but I don't get it at all. I get the appeal of vinyl even though I don't have an old record player but cassette tapes should stay in the past.
New album available now!

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4136 on: May 05, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
I hear you, Joe and Castleview. And although I completely agree with you, I have a confession to make: I ordered a cassette recently because doing so was the only way to get the download code for the album. A bit clunky, I suppose, but it was a means to an end.

The album in question, by the way, is fantastic: Letna's Horizont on Sunshine Ltd. Samples here: http://sunshineltd.info/?sunshine_product=horizont

I will never listen to the cassette, however. It is a nice artifact, if nothing else. I would rather have had a CD version to buy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:41:56 PM by chris23 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Expo70, an ambient spacerock artist, has released lots of tapes.  His music is pretty lo-fi anyway, but I think the tapes are a way to put out a lot of music for the hardcore fans.  He does have official CD releases on various labels, in addition to limited vinyl pressings and digital downloads.  But yeah, who wants to bother with cheap tapes?  And who actually has a tape deck anymore???  Haven't had one for at least 25 years.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: May 06, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »
Vir Unis - The Drift Inside
A favorite of mine. The last track, Deepest Dreams, blows me away.

One of my favourite albums - I used to leave it on low volume repeat overnight.....

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »
Interesting about cassettes. Have to confess I quite like the format. Mainly probably for sentimental reasons. I still have all my old cassettes that I bought as a teenager and still play them occasionally. First ever album purchase, Venus and Mars - Wings  8). I recently bought a further pioneer twin deck to augment my Aiwa deck just in case it becomes impossible to source the hardware. These should suffice till the end of days. I do remember having some problems with tapes but those were perhaps ones that had been bought second hand or not looked after. If cared for and the cassette deck maintained then some very good sounds indeed can be produced. This is still the case with my 39 year old wings tape, although it is showing signs of ageing much like myself. I still buy the occasional cassette.

Vinyl is possibly my favourite format now. I find despite the occasional flaws the sound quality really cannot be bettered, I do however also love CDs and digital downloads. Think I possibly need a bigger house for storage purposes although the hard drive helps a bit.

Might check out some of my cassettes tonight  ;D