Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 800252 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4160 on: May 14, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
Recent plays over the past few days:

36 - Lithea
Ithaca Trio - Music for Piano & Patience
Michael Mantra - Mountain/Stream
Alexandre Navarro - Hozho
James Johnson - Minimum: Journeys 2
Aglaia - Hymns
Purl - Behind Clouds (I can't get enough of this release. It will probably be one of my favorites of 2014)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: May 17, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
Ishq--Blue Infinity and Seascapes.  Pressed CD's limited to 90 copies.  Good stuff as usual by Ishq.  Some tracks on both have some distortions, which is annoying and puzzling.

xouoxno

• View Profile
    • http://biink.com
« Reply #4162 on: May 18, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
Steve Reich: Works 1965–1995 (Nonesuch)

I’ve owned this for years, lately I’ve been digging in.

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: May 18, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
It's been a Fax week.

Pete Namlook - The Air Collection MP3 Disc
Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - The 2350 Broadway Collection MP3 Disc
Tetsu Inoue - Inland
Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion 2
Tetsu Inoue - Organic Cloud

For variety, I threw in Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll

I'm also working through the Namlook Tribute project Die Welt Ist Klang on Bandcamp. It's pretty amazing.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: May 19, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
Roach and Serries - Low Volume Music - very nice.

Roach - Back to Life - Very nice.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:14 AM »
It's been a Fax week.

Pete Namlook - The Air Collection MP3 Disc
Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - The 2350 Broadway Collection MP3 Disc
Tetsu Inoue - Inland
Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion 2
Tetsu Inoue - Organic Cloud

Fantastic selection of FAX there, some of the best. Hope to get my Die Welt Ist Klang Cds within the next week.

Recent ambient for me;
Nacthplank - Echo Ark
Oophoi - Night Currents
Namlook / Laswell - Psychonavigation 1

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4166 on: May 19, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
How to Disappear Completely - Oblivion/Rites
Digital only release, available on bandcamp. Drifting, weightless ambient with sounds that cast shadows.

https://htdc.bandcamp.com/album/oblivion-rites

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4167 on: May 21, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
Ishq - Seascapes and Blue Infinity
Two new Ishq releases. The first, Seascapes, is composed of mostly improvised and spontaneous tracks that draw inspiration from the sea (and, in some cases, include processed samples of ocean waves and wind samples that resemble foghorns). The album is a nice one, but not really a standout in the Ishq cannon. Blue Infinity, on the other hand, is fantastic. There isn't much in the way of the quirky electronics that I tend to appreciate in Ishq releases, but there are some truly stellar compositions on here, including Albatross and Lanyon. Most of the other tracks are neat, but reprocessed, versions of motifs that appear in the opening.

As Drone On observed, there are some oddities in at least two of the tracks--things that feel like levels hitting limits artificially rather than deliberate glitches. I thought this might have been an artifact of the digital files at first, but the physical CDs arrived yesterday and those had the same problems. Weird.

Samples/Buy:
https://virtual1.bandcamp.com/album/seascapes
https://virtual1.bandcamp.com/album/blue-infinity
http://ishq.org/

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: May 23, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
Ishq-Deep Space Objects,recently discovered artist.Going through it.
I listened to Blue Infinity just now.Some keyboard sounds reminded me of Floyd,1974 the rest not.I did not detect any distortion but was not in critical mode.What tracks and where is it? Quite nice though,like a glider as it says.
Ashes of Piedmonte-Winter's Fire-Superb.I wonder about the edits on this.Same with a few other L.A.N. releases.Tracks start and stop at random points,like someone forgot to press start or stop on the recording.Maybe intentional,a bit bothersome?
I remember buying the first clicks and cuts on M.P. I could not figure out at times what was an error in audio or on purpose.
Tetsu Inoue-Zenith.A bit of a lost one for Tetsu but very fine.Mixed with very subtle beats,mixed low.If he never surfaces again,I will be thankful that he left us with his timeless music.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 24, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
Zenith was a collaboration with Carlos Vivanco, technically not a Tetsu solo album.  I agree about the low mix, needs a good volume boost.  Sort of lo-fi and muddy sound, but nevertheless another classic Fax album worth seeking if you can find the original or reissue. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: May 24, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I've been immersed in these Echospace Detroit recent releases by Cv313 and Echospace.  Two are double CD's.  Ambient dub techno heaven!

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: May 24, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Ha,yes I noticed that beforehand.Zenith is not a solo project but who was Carlos anyway.He never did anything else on Fax.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4172 on: May 26, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »
Spheruleus - Selected Works - Spheruleus Bandcamp
Purl - Behind Clouds  -  Purl Bandcamp
Prins Thomas - Prins Thomas III
Taylor Deupree - lost & compiled

And then there's this puzzle...

Brian Eno and Karl Hyde - Someday World  -  Being an Eno fan & an Underworld fan I was excited for this release but I can't figure out how I feel about this album.  I like some parts of it, other tunes, like Daddy's Car, could have been so much better with different instrumentation or production.  I guess that's my biggest problem with the record - the production - it feels cheap & thin.  The absolutely horrible synth horns of the first single, Satellites, is one example.  I'm assuming they are synth horns cuz they sounds so 80s-Casio like.  Were they going for some sort of retro, kitschy sound?  I know mimicking 80s synth sounds is in vogue but it falls brutally flat here.  That song is indicative of the production & feel of much of the album.  As I said before it feels cheap and thin.  That being said, I like parts of it & I think the album will grow on me.

Anybody else have any opinions on this one?

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4173 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
I haven't heard 'Someday World' as such, but I saw them playing on Jools Holland on the BBC and I can't say I was terribly impresssed. I have a huge amount of respect for Eno for what he's done, but those performances were just so so. Everyone was having a good time and all that, but (to me) it was rather flat.

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 26, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
Digital only release, available on bandcamp. Drifting, weightless ambient with sounds that cast shadows.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I was completely unaware of it. Beautiful stuff.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 26, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »

And then there's this puzzle...

Brian Eno and Karl Hyde - Someday World

Almost bought this on vinyl when I was down in Glasgow. Fopp have a new large vinyl section and had this. Decided on The Stones - Beggars Banquet and Rush Vapour Trails LPs instead.

Will have to try and check "Someday World" out before getting the record then. Unfortunately it's not on Spotify.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: May 26, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I was completely unaware of it. Beautiful stuff.

Just checked this out. Absolutely beautiful album.....melancholy but uplifting also, will have to get this one and check out their other stuff.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 30, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
Glad you enjoyed HTDC. Really neat stuff. I especially like the 3rd and 4th tracks on Oblivion/Rites.

Lorenzo Montanà - Haemus
This was just released at Carpe Sonum. I spent the day listening to the digital download on repeat; hopefully the CD will arrive next week. This album is incredible. It seems like a bit of a departure from some of his other releases. Most of the tracks are mellow, slow moving synth pieces with occasional acoustic-organic sounds and textures. But there is a lot of variation, making this a great album for deep, attentive listening.

Buy/Listen: https://carpesonum.bandcamp.com/album/haemus
All the tracks are excellent, but I'm especially smitten with the first one, Secret Hill.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: May 31, 2014, 04:59:12 AM »
Hah, just listening to this right now, second listen.

Lorenzo Montanà - Haemus

Beautiful album from Lorenzo, interesting to hear his more ambient approach on this, away from his more upbeat melodic content.

Also downloaded Lee Anthony Norris & Porya Hatami- The Longing Daylight https://carpesonum.bandcamp.com/album/the-longing-daylight. Equally magnificent.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:40:59 PM by thirdsystem »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 31, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »