Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 813866 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4240 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »
I ordered the Oliver Lieb CD as well!  Also found a copy of Nachtplank Echo Ark CD on Discogs.  Had to pay a small fortune for it unfortunately. 

Other current spins:  Arc "Umbra".  Great disc by Mark Shreeve of Redshift and Ian Boddy!
Move D/Namlook "The Retro Rocket.".  Their excellent third collaboration album.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4241 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
right now:   http://cinchel.bandcamp.com/

A House Once Lived That Never Was

before that - a lot of minimal techno.  :-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: July 16, 2014, 07:10:02 AM »
Hopefully this week I'll be spinning Steve Roach's new one "The Delicate Forever"!!

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: July 16, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
Finally took the plunge and picked up Steve Roach's "Structures From Silence" 3-CD set. In addition to the remaster, the 2 discs of new material are excellent. I've ordered the new "The Delicate Forever, as well. I'm looking forward to some deep headphoning.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:37 AM »

Thom Brennan - Vibrant Water and Mist Currently completely addicted to these two.

Now - Steve Roach - Structures From Silence 30 th, all 3 discs one after the other. Also just ordered the two new releases....The Delicate Forever and The Desert Collection 1 ( great cover btw ! )

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4245 on: July 20, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
Gerat video for a great song:

'Mr. Pharmacist' by the Fall

The Fall - Mr. Pharmacist

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4246 on: July 20, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Eno & Hyde - High Life  -  I like this one much more than their first release(only a few months ago).  This feels looser, more improvised.  It definitely has a few tracks with an old talking heads vibe.  Good stuff.
The Antlers - Familiars  -  Beautifully melancholy.  Piano, guitar, trumpet & vocals combine for long slow tunes.  This will be an end of the year favorite.
The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger - Midnight Sun  -  great psychedelic rock from Sean Lennon.
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence  -  Some really good tunes but everything ends up sounding the same.

ambient/electronic:
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer 2014 - pretty awesome.
Stephen Vitiello & Taylor Deupree - Captiva  -  very nice.
The Dead Texan - The Dead Texan  -  an all time fav.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 21, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »
Max Corbacho - far beyond the immobile point

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4248 on: July 21, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
np: Classic and Rare - La Collection Chapter 3 from F Communication   
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:32 AM »
Having been mentioned elsewhere just checked out.......

Robert Rich - Somnium. There is a short version on spotify which is really excellent.

Also discovered.......

Music From Atlas Die..........superb.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 22, 2014, 04:16:57 AM »

Robert Rich - Somnium. There is a short version on spotify which is really excellent.

Excellent disc

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 22, 2014, 04:45:29 AM »

Excellent disc

On researching, this is available as an edited download ( which is what I am listening to on spotify), a DVD 7 hour job  :) and also amazingly as an iphone app.

Almost 10 years after its initial release, this project return in the (revolutionary?) form of an App Album . Designed to run endlessly on your iPhone/iPod, it can play uninterrupted for much longer than the original seven hours. It will simply run until you stop it, or until your iPhone/iPod batteries run out.

As an App, the Somnium App  is extremely 'bare-bone'. It was designed to liisten,  not to watch.
In fact, there's only one page with the cover art, a slider (from 'slow' to 'slower') and a start button. After hitting Start and setting the volume, you're supposed to turn the device screen off and just listen...no need for any further visual distraction.

For the Somnium App version, Robert Rich has selected and isolated different passages which are sequenced randomly. This approach means that the music remains interesting enough to actively listen to when in 'slow' mode. When set to 'slower', there are less changes so the pace suits sleeping.

This also means a bit of a conceptual distraction from the original DVD, which followed the sleep cycle (relatively active, to deep sleep, to relatively active again before waking up).
The app version randomly cycles  through various parts of the composition, so it does not exactly follow that 'cycle'. In the 'slow' (most active') setting, the music is indeed constantly changing, and stays interesting enough for active listening for a long time.

Really not so sure about the DVD as I prefer to listen to my music on the ipods and hifi's away from the main dvd surround system. Will think about it though. Definitely fancying the download and especially trying out said app on iphone/ipod touch.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4252 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
Somnium is the reason I bought a DVD player. Really cool release.

Currently listening to Steve Roach's The Delicate Forever and The Delicate Beyond. This is great stuff. I had no idea there was more material inspired by the revisiting of the Structures for Silences seasons. What a pleasant surprise.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
I have all versions,each is outstanding and for a different mood.
The 7 hour version is the one to get.You can find the full download in lossless FLAC here-

http://www.musiczeit.com/album.php?album=164&Robert+Rich+Somnium

This site also has many of Robert's other titles,including some wonderful live concerts.
I have the DVD which does play in any player and some high end CD players.It came out way before the download.
The Itunes version is OK but very edited,proper for quick naps.
The Itunes App is most likely the best version as it can continue forever,a very cool idea.It does not have anywhere near the sound variations of the DVD but has I think 5 loops that can morph from slow to slowest.
Of course,the audio quality is also quite low on anything Itunes.For me,it has to be lossless.
This music is designed to be played at very low levels so do not crank it.It should be barely audible as you drift to sleep.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
I can also recommend the DVD for Somnium, as well. I've downloaded the app, which is nice for listening on the road or going to sleep by. There was some controversy about this app when it was released, as it was shortened, but I think it's a great introduction to the piece for a very low price and makes a full purchase a no-brainer.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 23, 2014, 04:34:24 AM »
Cheers for the info men. Got the ipod/phone app last night. Very impressed with the concept. Listened to it through the headphones on my evening stroll and it worked superbly blending with the surrounding environmental sounds.

I will get the download first ( both) then probably the DVD also. I was aware of Robert's music previously and had listened to several of his works, also with Ian Boddy, however Somnium has raised his profile with me. Listened to "Nest" last night, utterly superb.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 23, 2014, 06:58:47 AM »
Nachtplank--Echo Ark.  Incredible album on txt label.  Top 10 of 2014 spot guaranteed here.

Rudiger Gleisberg/Mathias Grassow--Ad Lucem.  On the gterma label from Sweden.  Fans of Gleisberg works on the Solitaire albums he appeared on , most notably Fearless on Recycle or Die, will find similar sonorities here, mixed with Grassow typical drones.

Jeff Pearce--With Evening Above.  Good album.  He does what he does best here.

Expo Seventy--Virtually from the Unknown.  On Essence Music.  Gentle, ethereal space rock.  Not as noisy and grungy as previous works, which is why I really like this one.  If you like Hawkwind, Berlin school and Krautrock you must hear this artist!

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
I agree with Drone on.
Echo Ark is really superb.Top 2014.Lee just released a new one called "Birth"
Expo 70- I have several of his.My favorite is Where does your mind go.But yes,he can be noisy as well.Not into that part.I do like the lo-fi recordings.
Anjou-New project from Labradford and Pan American on Kranky.1 track out so far but interesting.
Harold Budd-La Bella Vista-Solo piano,just so, so beautiful.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: July 24, 2014, 04:59:33 AM »
Nachtplank - Echo Ark will be in my top 5 for 2014. Stunning album.

Late evening walk along the deserted beach and coast last night listening to ......

Autumn of Communion 3 and also 2. Very enjoyable experience.

Now checking out Nachtplank - Birth, on bandcamp.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:40 AM »
Pete Namlook tribute box set---Whoa, 8 CDs of music!  This production looks great, with wooden box, nicely designed digipaks, etc.  The booklet is disappointing though.  No photos of Peter at all!  The essay portion was all written by theguy who produced the project.  Would've been more interesting to have some anecdotes by Fax artists about Peter, or a bio of his life, or other more interesting writing, rather than just how the project was completed, because it is after all a tribute to the man.  Yet the booklet missed the mark in focusing on his death instead of his life.  Almost as if Peter's presence is missing from the whole affair.  Maybe I'm just being overly picky though.  Anyway, lots of music to get through here.