Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 756720 times)

Infraction

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #420 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:50 AM »
Tex La Homa - "Some Great Bliss"   Found them/him (Matt Shaw) after picking up the great 231 Divisadero 's/t' disc on Locust late last year.  I'm a sucker for anything that has that post-Talk Talk influence.  TLH is a bit more like Mercury Rev in spots - but still a nice listen.

Celer - "Salvaged Violets 1" & "2"   More Celer goodness. 

The Blue Nile - "Hats"  Never get tired of this one. 

Andrew Liles - "Auto Manipulator" LP  I've heard this variation by Andrew before, I know there's better out there.

Prefab Sprout - "Two Wheels Good" LP aka The U.S. version of "Steve McQueen".  I had heard so many good things about it, but so far a bit underwhelmed.   It'll take a few more listens I think.

...and I'm awaiting the new Rameses III disc I ordered from Ear-Rational.  Loved "honey rose" and this new 2CD set has a remix from Keith Berry, who can really do no wrong IMHO.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Undershadow

« Reply #421 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »
...and I'm awaiting the new Rameses III disc I ordered from Ear-Rational.  Loved "honey rose" and this new 2CD set has a remix from Keith Berry, who can really do no wrong IMHO.

I wouldn't say that KB can do no wrong for me, but he can do a great deal right, particularly in re: atmospheric dronescapes. Anyway, I found a link on the Rameses III site to an mp3, and guess what... turns out to be the Berry remix track. And a great foggy blast of tuned air it is too:

http://www.ramesesiii.com/MP3%5CBasilica_Basilica_128kb.mp3

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #422 on: April 16, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »
I finally pulled Muse out of the player...

shuttle358 - understanding wildlife - minimal beauty - haven't heard this in a long while and it's a joy of an album.   it's not quite the level of optimal.lp for me - but it's close.   there's a quieter beauty here that optimal.lp doesn't have though...

disturbed earth - island - upcoming release from dean richards... dark minimal ambient.   ...and i'd be saying that even if it wasn't coming out on my label in a week or two... :) 

next up is dean's other new release edge of evening which completes the three album arc starting with sho.    i haven't heard it yet so don't know if it'll keep in darker territory or not.    the series is intended as 'healing' music - which fits sho rather well as a description.    island seems to be a darker aspect of healing to me.     
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #423 on: April 16, 2008, 11:19:52 AM »
Prefab Sprout - "Two Wheels Good" LP aka The U.S. version of "Steve McQueen".  I had heard so many good things about it, but so far a bit underwhelmed.   It'll take a few more listens I think.

Stick with it, I think it's a real grower. There is a certain showtune vibe I can do without on some numbers, but it has enough great stuff in my opinion to make it one of my very favorite pop albums. The 2-CD version has some great acoustic stuff on it that's worth the price.

The new Rameses III is also on my wants list (which has been growing a lot lately).  I play their Matanuska pretty frequently.

Today:

John Foxx & Harold Budd—Translucence & Drift Music
Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd—Mysterious Skin soundtrack
What a great collection of songs.  I've gotten such a large amount of enjoyment out of these over the last few years.  The Araki movie wasn't bad either, but the soundtrack is where it's at.

Parks—Umber
Speaking of Infraction....  Where the heck did this guy come from?  This record is terrific.

Bill Nelson—Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam
I can't really get into this one.  A little too jittery, though I like certain tracks that get the Roxy Music vibe going.  I much prefer Nelson's Love that Whirls.

Ariel Kalma—Osmose  8) 8) 8)
Beta Lactam Ring is re-releasing Kalma's debut this month as well.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

Stick with it, I think it's a real grower.

I agree.  Some of the later Prefab works are little more uneven, but "Two Wheels Good/Steve McQueen" and their 1st full-length, "Swoon," have been long-time favorites of mine.  I have the vinyl for both to prove it;)

I picked up the new Rameses III at Amoeba a few days ago.  The 1st disc of remixes is nice and somewhat droney, but the 2d disc of live material from the band itself is pretty stellar.

I've also been enjoying two recent Students of decay CDR releases, Natural Snow Buildings' "Laurie Bird," and Cloak's "Serene."  NSB is a French free folk/psychedelia duo with almost an Amon Duul II feel.  The Cloaks (Spencer Doran) release is also nice (processed piano and guitar), though I think the press release comparisons to keyboard minimalist Charlemagne Palestine are overstated.  Doran's piano chops are pretty basic to my ears; on the first extended piece, he seems to be playing only the white keys on the piano with one finger.

Forrest

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »
the long walk home by peter gabriel - the soundtrack to rabbit-proof fence, a true story that appears to be quite inspiring. the music is absolutely awesome!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
Just ordered a couple of Rameses III cd's from Amazon: never heard of them before, but the samples sound very, very nice!
Gentlemen, thanks for pointing them out!

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 18, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
From the Hypnos store:
Airsculpture-TranceAtlantic(Man,this stuff is great and they cover alot of electronic territory)
Tomorrow's Tuesday-The glimmer room(First class synth pop)
From Tonefloat:
Anja Garbarek-Smiling and Waving-very nice White vinyl edition with an added white vinyl 7".What a yummy voice she has!

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #428 on: April 19, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
  REM - Accelerate - I'm totally digging this.  Great for playing loud while driving with the windows open!

Sibylle Baier - colour green - an album of songs from home reel-to-reel tape recordings Baier made in Germany between 1970 and 1973, collected together by her son as a gift to family members over three decades later.  It's an intimate, stark recording of folk music.  Sometimes the recording quality is a bit off but in general a very enjoyable listen.

Bon Iver - for emma, forever ago - another home recording of "spare intimacy".  This supposedly was recorded during time spent secluded in the woods in Wisconsin.  It's not going to make my top ten list but it's a good record.

Steve Roach & Robert Rich - Strata - I had to list at least one ambient album here.  Still excellent after all these years.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
Vidna Obmana - Crossing the Trail

Robert Carty - Microspirals

Matthias Grassow - Dissolution

g.@.b.

« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
  REM - Accelerate - I'm totally digging this.  Great for playing loud while driving with the windows open!

Does it make you accelerate, Dave?  :D

I'm enjoying it too (& die-hard REMers seem to dig it)... fave track so far is 'Mr. Richards'

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 20, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
That does it-- I'm gonna have to order the new R.E.M.. I loved that band from Murmer, up until they lost their focus after New Adventures In Hi-Fi.

g.@.b.

« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
That does it-- I'm gonna have to order the new R.E.M.. I loved that band from Murmer, up until they lost their focus after New Adventures In Hi-Fi.

You'll like it, Joe...it's a fun listen; all solid tunes.

Meanwhile, after 3 R.E.M. listens in a row...it's back to ambient via a recent mix:

01.  Stephen Philips - Into the Dark (excerpt)
02.  Lena - Pretty Sixteen
03.  Nest - Trans Siberian
04.  Lena - Meeting by the Cliff as Dark Turns to Light
05.  Frequency Magnet - Nitrous
06.  The Winterhouse - Beneath the Gray Walls
07.  Droneforest - Forest Floor
08.  M. Peck - Somna
09.  Krill.Minima - Einsiedelstein
10.  Ulf Lohmann - My Pazifik
11.  Robert Rich - Poppy Fields
12.  Jan Jelinek - Western Mimikry
13.  Thomas Fehlmann - Camilla
14.  Tosca - Pearl Off

http://www.artofthemix.org/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strMixID=117207

Undershadow

« Reply #433 on: April 22, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »

[...] and this new 2CD set has a remix from Keith Berry, who can really do no wrong IMHO.

I'm just playing a very nice DVD short by one Iain Stewart, a Scots photo artist, called 58º North. Picked it up mainly for a great textured drone-based soundtrack by Keith Berry. There's a decent sample at: http://www.iainstewartphotos.co.uk/frames/58n_film.html. It's in a frustratingly small window, but the expanse of the music is unaffected by the visual limitation

(P.S. has a touch of the feeling of your Nunc Stans stuff, Anthony, if you're reading this :))

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #434 on: April 22, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
Yes, has a Nunc Stans tone (especially some new Nunc I'm now composing), and sounds excellent. Particularly suits the darker opening graphics of the movie.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 22, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
Berry-esque comparison to Nunc Stans material?  Where would I start - or is there only 1 to start from?

Naively,

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Onnow : Cleveland v. KC - Top of the 4th

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 22, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »
Re: Nunc Stans - I just saw the review from Mr. Lockett.  Nevermind - well, kinda.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 22, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
Michael Moorcock and the Deep Fix - New World's Fair. Arrived yesterday and I've not heard this for over 20 years. played it through twice....

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #438 on: April 23, 2008, 06:24:11 AM »

np:

nverxion - a look within - great drifty beatless goodness

on deck:

seren ffordd - veils, shadows
the winterhouse - slow promises
parallel worlds - obsessive surrealism

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
1. Diatonis, "The Convolving Universe" (gorgeous choral ambient)
2. Paul Bradley, "Liquid Sunset"
3. Necrophorus, "Elinros"
4. The Winter House, "Slow Promises"
5. Peter Andersson, "Music for Film and Exhibition"
6. Kiln, "Thermals"
7. Paul Bradley, "Memorias Extranjeras"
8. The North Sea and Rameses III, "Night of the Ankou"
9. Nunc Stans, the 3CD's from Blue Oasis
10. Post-Asiatic, "Lost War Dream Music"