Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 2442321 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4740 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »
Lycia--A line that Connects.  This followup to their 2013 comeback album Quiet Moments really delivers.  A much stronger effort, both musically and production wise.  David Galas returns as well.  No complaints here.

Roger Waters--Amused to Death (2015).  1992 masterpiece just got remastered plus remixed, so some of it is quite a bit different than the original version.  This came out when Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins were huge, so it got somewhat overlooked.  Angry, cynical, humorous, sad, and powerful sum up this concept album.  23 years later, the message has even more meaning thanks to humans latest obsessive amusement-- cell phones and other devices.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
Zoviet France - Just An Illusion (a great tribal ambient release I wish I had picked up sooner)

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:28 PM »
Two latest ...txt CD's in heavy rotation:

Autumn of Communion--AOC 6.  Another thing of flowing, deep heavenly beauty.  The last in the series.  100 official CDs made.  Probably sold out by now.

S.E.T.I.-- The Data Logs of Astro Mirmex.  This is Andrew Lagowski's SET I, not the one from the 90s.  Much less dark than his previous work, this is quite cinematic and soundtrack like space ambient.  May take awhile to  really connect with.  150 pressed CDs made.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4743 on: August 20, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
Terry Riley :: A Rainbow In Curved Air
Mum :: Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today is OK
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4744 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Question for those of you with AoC6: Is it mostly a remix of older tracks? (The first track sounds like a reprise of the first track from AoC1.) Regardless, it sounds nice. I'll have to pick up the digital at some point; it does look sold out from the sources I normally scout.

Sinepearl - Through Water She Spoke  + The Dance of Affinity
Excellent psychedelic ambient from Björn Ekegren in Sweden. The first of these releases really shines: drifting electronic ambient soundscapes with some really clever experimentation with sequencing. The latter was released originally on the Ishq Virtual label and is now OOP, but available digitally on Bandcamp. It is my least favorite of the two, but nonetheless reveals some really creative ways of using sounds. If you're a Hillier fan, you'll love this stuff.

Digital: Name Your Price
https://sinepearl.bandcamp.com/album/through-water-she-spoke
https://sinepearl.bandcamp.com/album/the-dance-of-affinity

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: August 24, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
AoC 6 doesn't sound like a remix to me, although in parts you can hear bits of the original album.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4746 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
Jacob Newman & Devin Underwood - Sending the Past
Excellent new release from Carpe Sonum. This is classic drifting ambient, with lots of experimental flourishes. Despite having a traditional feel to it, this duo has a few signature moves that makes their sound distinctive. Love this.
Buy/Listen: https://carpesonum.bandcamp.com/album/sending-the-past (Note: CD delayed a bit, but digital is available now.)

Motionfield - Luftrum
Another recent Carpe Sonum release. Well paced ambient washes and sequences, punctuated with the occasional layer of beats. Some of the tracks get a bit monotonous, but the overall diversity across the album is perfect.
Buy/Listen: https://carpesonum.bandcamp.com/album/luftrum

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: August 28, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »
Finally back online after a house move. Almost 2 months for British Telecom to sort out my phonel ine and broadband in my new build. Incompetence abounds!

AOC 6 , AOC 3.5/Solar Image and Motionfield - Luftrum have kept me ticking over during this period. I have a lot to catch up on.

PS Haven't noticed any remix aspect to AOC6 , this 3.5 disc set is the original "solar image" digital release with two very different remixes. Both discs and indeed Luftrum recommended.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:47:29 AM by thirdsystem »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
Finally back online after a house move. Almost 2 months for British Telecom to sort out my phonel ine and broadband in my new build. Incompetence abounds!

Ugh. Welcome back!

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: August 29, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »
Cheers Chris. 2 months without internet. Just shows how much life requires this now. Been a nightmare.

Also managed to acquire  all the Ambient Gardener releases from FAX.  4 x 2 disc sets drawn from the entire FAX catalogue. Some wonderful stuff I hadn't heard and some I had already but now have in digital surround sound.

You should hear this stuff in DTS 5.1 . Quite astounding.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 29, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
I don't know how I would deal with losing internet for 2 months. 2 hours is bad enough.

Mo Boma - Jijimuge One: Hut Song/Chronos

Jijimuge is a great album. Not a lot out there quite like it. The closest comparison point would be Jon Hassell, who actually discovered the band and helped them to get signed to Extreme Records back in the day.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Desolation, available now.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #4751 on: August 29, 2015, 09:03:39 PM »
I don't know how I would deal with losing internet for 2 months. 2 hours is bad enough.

Mo Boma - Jijimuge One: Hut Song/Chronos

Jijimuge is a great album. Not a lot out there quite like it. The closest comparison point would be Jon Hassell, who actually discovered the band and helped them to get signed to Extreme Records back in the day.

Mo Boma's four Extreme disks are some of the best things ever released on that label.  Beautiful, creative music.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
The Angling Loser - Silent Authors of Textures

Beautiful remixes of the original. Think there is another release planned soon for this project.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 31, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
Didn't know Jon Hassell helped out Mo Boma.  Interesting.  Great Extreme label artist.

Currently:

Motionfield--Luftrum.  This overall was disappointing. 2 or 3 excellent tracks but a lot of it sounds a bit dated, and dull.  Don't think would have cut it as a Fax release. 

AoC 3.9.  Solar Image remixes.  Excellent stuff.  I found this used at a record store.  Out of print.  Sweet! 

Cosmic Ground 2.  Haven't had enough listening time on this.  Retro Berlin School sequencer stuff, self released by artist.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
Re:  Autumn of Communion.

Now I'm confused. I have Solar Image "3.9", now there's a "3.5" double CD that came after 3.9???))someone please enlighten me....

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: September 01, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »
Datacide II by Tetsu Inoue/Atom Heart.  Very early Fax release of bleepy, bloopy, trippy gentle ambient, with a couple ambient techno tracks.  Good example of that early to mid 90s sound, not just from Fax.  I have the reissue version.  Seen the original on Discogs for $200. 

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4756 on: September 02, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
Ishq - Futurology, Beyond Time, Deep Space Objects
Every once in a while I get into a mad Ishq craze. I've been in one for the past few weeks, listening to various discs on repeat, dropping stupid amounts of cash on Discogs to pick up discs to replace digital files, and dissecting the art and aesthetics of the releases.

Right now I'm obsessed with the side of Hillier's work that focuses on space, time, and imaginary worlds. The most recent of these releases, Martian Chronicles, is really funky, with a nice retro-future vibe. 

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:51 AM »
Re:  Autumn of Communion.

Now I'm confused. I have Solar Image "3.9", now there's a "3.5" double CD that came after 3.9???))someone please enlighten me....

In order of release, the (complicated) releases are;

AOC 3.5 (CDr) - This was a highly limited edition of 65 CDrs in a metal box with card and numbering. It is an expansion and exploration of the track Rhea on AOC 3.

AOC 3.9 - This CD has 3 very different remixes of the digital only release (at that point) of Solar Image.

AOC 3.5/Solar Image (CD) - Following requests and interest re a proper CD release ...txt have recently released this double album. It has the original digital only track Solar Image, a reprise version and another disc with the full version of Rhea (explored) which was on the above CDr.

Think that's it  ;)

I believe I may now have all 9 AOC releases. Some body of work it is. Superb stuff.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:52 AM »
I need to explore Ishq's work more fully. Only really aware of some of his stuff working with Lee Norris.

Any recommendations on where to start Chris?

Edit - Just discovered there is a whole load of Ishq albums on Spotify. Currently streaming the  one that was released on ...txt that I missed out on buying - Lyght.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:35:50 AM by thirdsystem »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4759 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
It is tough to give recommendations because there are a diverse number of styles explored across the various releases. If you sample them on Spotify, you'll probably find something that resonates with you pretty quickly. And, from there, it is down the rabbit hole. . .

My personal favorites are Infinite Garden and Emerald (under the Elve alias) and Under a Hexagon Sky (under the Ishvara alias). Those first two are unlike anything I've heard before; truly remarkable recordings.