Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 2397977 times)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4860 on: December 29, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
Robert Schroeder - Dream Access , his new one, Berlin School / ish , very good
Steve Roach - Day Out Of Time, superb so far.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4861 on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »
Material Object & Ishq - Invisible Light
Dark ambient soundscapes, with occasional rhythmic pulses. Nice stuff.
https://no-ware.bandcamp.com/album/invisible-light

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4862 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »
- Nusrat Fateh & Michael Brooks :: Night Song

Transcendent !
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: December 31, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Swans-Swans Are Dead.  1996 live double album.  Don't care much for the new Swans material, but they were awesome in the early to mid 90's, mainly because they were more accessible/music oriented rather than the sludgy noisy stuff from the 80's.  Distinct for being the loudest band I ever saw live.  My ears rang for like two days.   

Seefeel-Succour.  Seefeel never did much for me when I heard them first in the 90's.  I just bought this one, which came out in 1995, for $5 used and it is excellent.  Sort of an ambient industrial Cocteau Twins, speaking of whom they recorded this in the Cocteau's studio and worked with them back in the 90's. 

Rapoon-Live at KFJC 1996.  Bonus disc on the Fires of the Borderlands reissue.  Simply amazing recording of Robin Storey at the peak of his powers.  If you liked the Kirghiz Light and that period of '94-'96, this is essential.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4864 on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »
Porya Hatami & Darren McClure - In-between Spaces
Nice collaboration on ...txt. This probably doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it is a a fun listen nonetheless--especially if you like these artists in particular.
Samples: https://darrenmcclure.bandcamp.com/album/in-between-spaces

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:57 AM »

Pete Namlook/ Charles Uzzell Edwards - Create. Long form spacey ambient with some appropriate beats . Underrated I feel.

Forest Fang - The Sleepwalker's Ocean , bandcamp stream . Stunning !!! Urgently required.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4866 on: January 03, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
I agree: The Sleepwalker's Ocean sounds excellent. I ordered a copy, but received someone else's order (different disc) instead! Now I have to practice patience. And patience hurts bad.

ASC - Fervent Dream
Silent Season went full multi-panel digipak for their fourth ambient ASC release. The packaging is beautiful. The music is great too, and there are some incredible tracks on here (the opening and the closing tracks, in particular). This particular release doesn't sound as strong as some of the previous ones, but that might be a timing/order effect.
http://shop.silentseason.com/album/fervent-dream

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »
Re:  Create CD.  To me this release just meanders nowhere for an hour, cool beats but too repetitive.  They could've done more here.  it's ok, but I rarely play it.  Create 2 is way better than this IMO. 

Re: ASC *Fervent Dream.  Mostly redundant to previous releases.  My ears only perked up at the final piece, which luckily is 20 minutes long since it's very good.  I really do not like these digipaks Silent Season is doing now.  No spine label?  Now that is dumb.  Virtually no text on the front or back covers.  Their previous compilation, 3 CDs worth, had the most boring artwork I've ever seen.  Just the name of the album in black lettering on white background, no spine label, no track titles or even artist names on back cover.   At least they upped the limitation to 500 this time so you didn't have to buy one the first two days it was released.

Currently listening:  Pink Floyd "Test flight" 1977 Animals tour live bootleg, Joy Division "London 02-08-1979". 

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: January 04, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »
I agree: The Sleepwalker's Ocean sounds excellent. I ordered a copy, but received someone else's order (different disc) instead! Now I have to practice patience. And patience hurts bad.

Sorry to hear that, Chris.  Hope you get your copy soon.  If you experience any problems with that, let me know.

BTW, the full preview stream of the album will remain available on Bandcamp through mid-January.

Regards,
Forrest
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:11:45 PM by ffcal »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4869 on: January 04, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »
Thanks, Forrest. Shea was kind enough to send me a BC download code and to reship the CD. I'm listening to the download now and am completely captivated by it. You've achieved something remarkable here, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:58:54 PM by chris23 »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
Chris:  Great.  I'm glad to hear the issue was resolved.  Thanks, too, for your feedback.  I was hoping the release would resonate as it probably one of my "purest" releases, where I tried to listen more closely to my instincts.

Forrest

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: January 07, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »
I have been in Black Sabbath mode again,

Black Sabbath, the first one, released in 1970, 46 years old and what an album it is.
Paranoid - , current track playing "Fairies Wear Boots "  ;D
Just ordered my favourite Sabbath album on 2015 remastered vinyl- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, to replace my worn out 42 year old cassette. Thought I had it on CD but there you go.

Last night;
Soft Machine ,   2, fourth, 5 , well jazzed out so I was.
And to fall asleep to; Thom Brennan - Shimmer.

Will have to redress the balance today with multiple ambient ........to recover.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4872 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
Great to see someone playing Soft Machine.
Especially those brilliant Virtually tracks from the flip side of the Fourth !   8)

I still remember seeing Sabbath doing Paranoid in London shortly after it was released ... now I feel old   :-\
www.dataobscura.com

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »

I still remember seeing Sabbath doing Paranoid in London shortly after it was released ... now I feel old   :-\

Wow, how cool is that !! I am still quite a young lad  ;) so couldn't quite make that gig.

My son saw Sabbath at the download festival here a few years back. Made my year, my son witnessing live Sabbath , the band from my very early teens , at a summer Rock festival. Couldn't quite believe it. Said they were excellent.

Now playing - Christina Vantzou No3. Have noticed several people mentioning this album on the net so today I finally get round to checking out the YouTube stream. Very, very nice indeed, drone based ambient but many more styles present. Really like it. On the list.

NP Mr Budd - Avalon Sutra.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4874 on: January 07, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »

That is indeed, extremely cool !

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4875 on: January 07, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
Just to compound the age ... I've also seen Hendrix live.    :-\
www.dataobscura.com

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4876 on: January 07, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
Steve Roach - Vortex Immersion Zone + Alive in the Vortex
I'm enjoying these immensely. Even the dog whistle effect...  :) In all seriousness, the live set is well structured, diverse, and sounds great. I wish I could have seen that performance in person.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: January 07, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
I love Black Sabbath too.  Careful with those remasters, though.  To me the originals are best, save for Master of Reality.  Some of the albums just got butchered.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: January 12, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
The Fires of Ork 2  bandcamp stream. Namlook / Jenssen.

I have the first one which is a bit too beat orientated for my tastes. Still good though. First three tracks on this are certainly more ambient. I like. Will have to get this. (Cheers for the tip J )

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4879 on: January 12, 2016, 02:56:30 PM »
Boris Lelong - The Green Planet, Act One
New digital-only release on BC. Drifting, ambient soundscapes that have a natural, organic, and evolving feel. The fun part about this release is that the parts that would seem to be field recordings are synthesized. Sections of this remind me of Roach's Possible Planet. It has that vibe, but with more warmth.

Listen/Buy: https://borislelong.bandcamp.com/album/the-green-planet-act-one