Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 1766814 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5380 on: February 15, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
llya Glebov (Murkok) & Joe Fujinoki - Glimmers
Dronescapes crafted from guitar and various electronics. Beautiful and spacious. On the amazing Archives label.
https://archivesdubmusic.bandcamp.com/album/glimmers
Nice Label !

The Halftribe : Luxia  release is really good.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5381 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:50 AM »
Dronescapes crafted from guitar and various electronics. Beautiful and spacious. On the amazing Archives label.
Nice Label !

The Halftribe : Luxia  release is really good.

That Halftribe showed up in my BC feed three or four times now. I've got it on the wishlist and need to check it out.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: February 16, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
Just wanted to say it is great to read discussions talking about musicians I know nothing about - don't stop talking....

Mathias Grassow does have a huge discography - two of my favourites are Dissolution (very dense music) and True North with Amiri Baghiri.
you may also like Upuaut (with Oophoi and Baghiri), Sphere, Space and Eclipse.

I'll have to check those out. Oophoi is another one whose huge discography is something I've only scratched the surface of. I do have Upuaut and like that one quite a bit.
Yes Oophoi has a large discography - Athlit is highly recommended as well as the Dreams set and The Dreaming of Shells for a good start.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5383 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
Halftribe is fantastic! I picked up the new one that was released on Archives a few days ago and can't stop listening to it. It is a perfect mix of dub elements, my favorite Pleq tracks, and lo-fi sonmi451 looping and reverb sensibilities.

https://archivesdubmusic.bandcamp.com/album/daydreams-in-low-fidelity

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
Just wanted to say it is great to read discussions talking about musicians I know nothing about - don't stop talking....

Mathias Grassow does have a huge discography - two of my favourites are Dissolution (very dense music) and True North with Amiri Baghiri.
you may also like Upuaut (with Oophoi and Baghiri), Sphere, Space and Eclipse.

I'll have to check those out. Oophoi is another one whose huge discography is something I've only scratched the surface of. I do have Upuaut and like that one quite a bit.
Yes Oophoi has a large discography - Athlit is highly recommended as well as the Dreams set and The Dreaming of Shells for a good start.

I must also also add Celestial Geometries and Signals From The Great Beyond to the list of Oophoi discs to check out. In my opinion these are essential recordings to have in anyones collection
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5385 on: February 16, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »

I must also also add Celestial Geometries and Signals From The Great Beyond to the list of Oophoi discs to check out. In my opinion these are essential recordings to have in anyones collection

Thanks for the recommendations. Will add those to the ever-growing wishlist.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

This is good, thanks.  It has long sustained notes without much note variety, which is often a recipe for monotony, but it manages to be musical and interesting based on layers of modulation.  Wishlist material.  Maybe a purchase in 2018?

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: February 17, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
Loscil - First Narrows

Loscil has a loyal fanbase.  Most of his work makes me wonder why.  This track is my favorite by Loscil. 

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5388 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »

Loscil has a loyal fanbase.  Most of his work makes me wonder why.  This track is my favorite by Loscil.

One of those artists I passed by or missed out on for no real reason. I've heard some stuff here and there over the years but can't even remember what it sounded like. I had planned to check out his last few albums at some point.

What are some of your favorites, out of curiosity?

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5389 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
Some recent listens:

Edgar Froese - The Virgin Years 4xCD box

-Played the first two discs today which have the classics Aqua and Epsilon in Malaysian Pale. RIP EF.

Beequeen - Selenturm Beesides 1989-2000 2xCD

-I have a few Beequeen releases but don't put them on all that often. I should probably play them more. This set has some tracks that go all the way back to one of their first cassettes. Most of these tracks are quite nice if you like minimal drone stuff.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: February 18, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »

One of those artists I passed by or missed out on for no real reason. I've heard some stuff here and there over the years but can't even remember what it sounded like. I had planned to check out his last few albums at some point.

What are some of your favorites, out of curiosity?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.  "Listened to it but can't remember what it sounded like".  That is what most of Loscil's music does for me.  I find his music to generally be well crafted, unoffensive and ultimately boring.  I've seen him live because friends wanted to go.  Zzzzzzzzzz.  He has fans though.  More than most Ambient artists.

I'm not sure which favorites you are asking about.  Do you mean Ambient in general?  Probably that is what you meant.

Favorites are hard to list because I either like something or not.  Everything I keep is a favorite.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5391 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
Do you mean Ambient in general?  Probably that is what you meant.

Yes.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
I don't really remember Loscil's music either, and I've heard two albums worth. I remember them being decent but nothing too remarkable. Good for him for having success though because he has brought new fans to the genre.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album, Elemental Wave, available now on Black Dingo Records:
https://duffegan.bandcamp.com/album/elemental-wave

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5393 on: February 18, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »
Mathias Grassow - Silent Lucidity

-Recommended to me awhile back as one of Grassow's best works...I can't make that claim since I know very little of his discography. Long, droney tracks. The first two tracks feature choral pads heavily and the last track is a bit different and more varied. I dig it, but might be a bit repetitive and simple for some tastes.

Halftribe - Daydreams in Low Fidelity

-Some dub techno with the beats almost completely stripped away meets the prettier side of Raster/12K. I'm digging this but need to spend more time with it. It'll likely show up on my blog sometime next week.

Oophoi and Ran Kirlian - The Physics of Heaven

-This has been on my BC wishlist forever, finally got it and listened tonight. I like this a lot. Needs more time to sink in.

Zero Kama - Live in Arnheim/Goatherd and the Best

-2xCD of post-industrial/ritual ambient pioneers' 80s recordings. The live stuff is a lot rougher and more intense than the Secret Eye of Laylah studio album. Second disc is odds and ends studio stuff.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: February 19, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
It's hard for me to choose favorites.  I guess these are my favorite albums in the Ambient and Dark Ambient categories. 

Eno - Apollo, Shutov Assembly, Ambient 4 On Land

Steve Roach - Magnificent Void, This Place to Be
Roach & Vidna Obmana - Well of Souls
Roach & Jorge Reyes - El Costumbre

Vidna Obmana - Spiritual Bonding, Echoing Delight

Robert Rich - Somnium, Filaments
Rich & Lustmord - Stalker
Rich & Alio Die - Fissures

Lustmord - Carbon/Core, The Place Where Dark Stars Hang

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2

Namlook / Fax - Shades of Orion 2, 2350 Broadway 1, Dreamfish 1, Ambient Gardener series

Spacetime Continuum - Seabiscuit

ISHQ - Orchid

Silent Records - From Here to Tranquility series

Biosphere - Substrata, Polar Sequences, Patashnik

Jeff Pierce - With Evening Above

KLF - Chillout

Oophoi - Static Soundscapes: Three Lights At The End Of The World, Celestial Geometries

Thom Brennan - Mist

Taylor Deupree & Marcus Fischer - In a Place of Such Graceful Shapes

Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze

Thomas Koner - Nuuk

Microstoria - Snd

Flowers for Bodysnatchers - Aokigahara

Apocryphos, Kammerheit & Atrium Carcei - Onyx

Paul Schutze - Apart, New Maps of Hell

Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers

Autumn of Communion 4

Robert Scott Thompson - Arcana

Delirium - Spheres

Psychic Warriors of Gaia - Ov Biospheres and Sacred Grooves

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Plus everything on Hypnos Records and everything the forum members have produced.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5395 on: February 19, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
Taylor Deupree - Somi
Tape loops, tape hiss, and wind-plucked guitars. Nice and soothing; similar to Faint in atmosphere.
https://12kmusic.bandcamp.com/album/somi

Re: Loscil/Scott Morgan. As a fan, the thing that I really appreciate about his music is that he has a distinctive style. I can hear a few seconds of a Loscil track and identify the artist right away. Of course, that on its own wouldn't be cool if I didn't like the music he produced, but I think having a sonic signature is a challenging thing to accomplish in this genre. His last few releases were good, but they didn't get many repeat listens around here. My favorite album of his is Plume.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5396 on: February 19, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »

Eno -  Ambient 4 On Land

Probably my favorite ambient album ever and my favorite Eno work. Lots of other great stuff on your list too, many albums I've never heard but have been meaning to check out.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5397 on: February 19, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
Taylor Deupree - Somi
Tape loops, tape hiss, and wind-plucked guitars. Nice and soothing; similar to Faint in atmosphere.

This is on my wishlist. Did anyone get either of the two book editions? Pricey but look nice.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5398 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »
Taylor Deupree - Somi

Re: Loscil/Scott Morgan. As a fan, the thing that I really appreciate about his music is that he has a distinctive style. I can hear a few seconds of a Loscil track and identify the artist right away. Of course, that on its own wouldn't be cool if I didn't like the music he produced, but I think having a sonic signature is a challenging thing to accomplish in this genre. His last few releases were good, but they didn't get many repeat listens around here. My favorite album of his is Plume.

Yeah, I agree very much with your "distinctive style" claim, Chris.
The trouble for me with a lot of lo-fi and dub inspired stuff is the lack of individuality. I hear a track and may like it, but there is no distinct identity. I can not tell who did it. And maybe a lot of the music is produced with bought sample sets.
But Locil clearly has individuality.
I like a number of his albums, very much.
Especially Sketches From New Brighton.

Hear:      https://loscil.bandcamp.com/album/sketches-from-new-brighton
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

BFS

• View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: February 19, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
Loscil - His first 3 were the best to me.. I find the others less playful
and rhythmically rather sterile...more atmospheric/conceptual works also sound over
thought to my ears...

I'm taken by a lot of vintage hypnotic beat oriented music these
days...Some currents am enjoying...

AM/PM - The Ends I and II (Fantastic textural dub studies...IMO much more interesting and sonically pleasing than Loscil)

Monolake - Atlas-Titan, X I E, Icarus  (The singles are really terrific-wildly creative polyrhythmic bliss - way more interesting than 99% of so called techno)

Richard H. Kirk - Virtual State, The Number of Magic (Some 30 years later still
as fresh sounding as ever...indescribably interesting beat-sample juxtapositions of the highest order)

Gas - Box set (I love everything Voigt...These records are sublime works of subtle beatified ambient...Another master that never sounds tired to me)

SND - Stdio (another treasure trove of amazing sounds..this is the one I'm currently listening to - refined glitchry that is hypnotic and at once effortless sounding - never boring or gimmicky)

Sensate Focus - 3.3 (Fell is a genius and all his newish Sensate Focus records only confirm it)