Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 4357357 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5380 on: March 01, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
Because I have no shortage of music on my wishlist and I don't feel the need to directly tell Spotted Peccary how to market music more effectively.  I prefer indirect methods that they may or may not see, such as this.

Since there aren't many places on the internet where people enthusiastically talk about purchasing Ambient music, perhaps they should be reading this message.  ;)

While I'm at it, the free Spotted Peccary compilations I downloaded at Bandcamp should have required an email for marketing purposes.  As a label, they aren't doing much to promote their artists to me and others like me.

To my taste, too much badmouthing in the air, Tardigrade...  :( What about signing to Spotted Peccary's newsletter, following them on Bandcamp or signing to their e-mail list on their Facebook site? A quite acceptable amount of options to be informed, it works pretty well for me. :)

Richard

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: March 01, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
To my taste, too much badmouthing in the air, Tardigrade...

I'd have to agree, Richard.  Anonymity has an unfortunate tendency to encourage mouthing off.  Almost sounds like a reincarnation of Orion 32/drone on.

Forrest

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5382 on: March 02, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
Yesterday's listens:

Giles Reaves - Wunjo CD

Classic new age ambient, very digital synth sounding but well done and not too dated. Exactly the type of stuff I might have dismissed years ago but really enjoy now. A real shame this is out of print, as it deserves a good reissue. Actually, I think most of Reaves' catalog is also OOP.

Robert Rich - Somnium DVD

Got this awhile ago but never made it very far through. Listened to it for a few hours yesterday and plan to listen to the rest today. Probably a bit repetitive, slow moving, and minimal for some tastes but I dig it.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5383 on: March 02, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »

Almost sounds like a reincarnation of Orion 32/drone on.

More along the lines of this character IMHO:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=5673

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5384 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Dilate - Cyclos  (1996)

He only made two albums in the 90s, then disappeared.  It has some ambient space tracks that still sound good today.  Defunct record label.  Still available at Amazon.

The cd jewel box was textured which gave the cover a low tech holographic look.

Clips sound interesting. Used CD prices at Amazon are WAY out of wack. Discogs more reasonable Looks like the label was a sub-label of Cleopatra Records, which is still in business. Might have to investigate further.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: March 02, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »

Almost sounds like a reincarnation of Orion 32/drone on.

More along the lines of this character IMHO:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=5673

Seems to be outspoken negativity frequently, can't be arsed reading it personally.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: March 02, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Steve Roach - The Passing

This has been on constantly, (along with the new Mick Chillage) since I got it a couple of weeks back. Steve really does seem to be on a roll with his recent ambient works. This one in particular is something special.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: March 02, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
15% of my posts have been negative opinions and none of them were directed at a forum member.  There are no rules prohibiting this. 

No, I'm not someone you banned before.  It's my first account.  It's my last account.  I won't be posting here anymore.  Congratulations.

Enjoy your fantasy land wrapped in a bubble of perpetual fake positivity. 

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5388 on: March 02, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm always glad to see a post that is a bit critical; it is too easy for everyone to pat everyone on the back. But, I hope--or take for granted--that such criticisms come from a place of respect.

Recent plays/now playing:

Snufmumriko - Driftwood
Abstract ambient, built on field recordings and incidentals. On the Archive label.
https://archivesdubmusic.bandcamp.com/album/driftwood

Snufmumriko - Chimera
Highly processed samples, sculpted to form a quilt of drones. Pretty neat.
https://lagerstaette.bandcamp.com/album/chimera

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
I don't see enough proof yet to suggest that Tardigrade is either aelfa or drone on, or a troll at all. I'm all for dealing with trolls swiftly but not when there's little or no proof.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:39:30 PM by Castleview »

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5390 on: March 03, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »
I don't see enough proof yet to suggest that Tardigrade is either aelfa or drone on, or a troll at all. I'm all for dealing with trolls swiftly but not when there's little or no proof.

The only way to know for sure is to check IP addresses and even that is not 100% foolproof. I was half-joking but of course that humor doesn't come across on the internet. I figured that if Tardigrade can come on here and talk trash, Tardigrade can take a little back. I suppose that's a little jerk-ish and immature of me, but there it is.

Of course at the first sign of this, Tardigrade runs away. I see this kind of stuff all the time on various boards (totally predictable) and figured that it was going in this direction. Not surprised at all.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5391 on: March 03, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
15% of my posts have been negative opinions and none of them were directed at a forum member.  There are no rules prohibiting this. 

No, I'm not someone you banned before.  It's my first account.  It's my last account.  I won't be posting here anymore.  Congratulations.

The internet is a rough place because so much and so many stay anonymous. The same happens in the real world when we do not face one another anymore. I cannot understand this way of acting people but I see it that often. Instead of saying words from face to face, we listen to third parties and talk anonymous. Instead of asking to a person directly, we throw out prejudices to third parties. I dont think it was an arguing over the positive or the negative, but about the tone / accent.

I don't really have a problem with anonymity. Some people need it or want it for various reasons. What I have a problem with is all the whining and complaining when one could easily fire off a polite email and probably get their issue resolved. Getting on a message board, whining and talking trash, etc. does no good.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
I dont think it was an arguing over the positive or the negative, but about the tone / accent.

Yes, absolutely.  And I don't think anyone but Tardigrade raised the issue of a ban.  I think the tone of his posts was hostile and insulting.  There's enough toxicity going around politically right now.  The last place we need that is in a forum for ambient music.  I also agree with cvac that if Tardigrade feels free to dish it out, he should be willing to take it, too, and be called out when he steps over the line.

Forrest

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #5393 on: March 03, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »

There should be a quite big gap between constructive criticism and sarcastic comment, unfortunately, in some posts the line between these two becomes quite thin and fragile. It's a pity, Tardigrade!

Richard

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5394 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:52 PM »
I feel sorry about Tardigrade leaving ... he was a new voice.

But anyway, if you want to talk about this sort of thing more, how about moving the discussion to the Members Lounge and return this thread back to Currently Listening.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5395 on: March 03, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »
Only just got around to listening to Saul's most recent offering:

http://saulstokes.com/album/objects-and-phenomena

Certainly worth a few dollars for all those nice blippy beats and well-crafted melodies.
www.dataobscura.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5396 on: March 03, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
Bought this OKADA a while back from n5MD, finally getting into it:

https://n5md.bandcamp.com/album/floating-away-from-the-world

It a very moving and moody album. Ambient, glitchy, laid back beats.
www.dataobscura.com

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5397 on: March 03, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
Sayer - Cosmic Voyagers

https://sayermusic.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-voyagers

Neo-Berlin School sequencer music. Not really my area of expertise at all but sounding great so far.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: March 05, 2017, 05:28:19 AM »
The new Eno ambient album is out. Just listened to the very short snippet that is on Spotify, sounds very promising. I can feel a double vinyl purchase in the planning here.

Current play ;

Specta Ciera + The Circular Ruins - Middle Distance

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5399 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
Re: Eno, I don't have anything after 1986. I guess I should check out some of his recent work. I've heard some good comments on it.

Recently:

Robert Rich - Somnium DVD part 3

Robert Scott Thompson - Fountainhead - Cloud Cover