Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 829644 times)

Numina

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #440 on: April 26, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »
Killing Joke ~ Revelations
Simple Minds ~ Live in the City of Light
Kraftwerk ~ Minimum Maximum
X Marks the Pedwalk ~ Abattoir
Front Line Assembly ~ The Initial Command
In Strict Confidence ~ Industrial Love/Predictions
Erasure ~ Drama CD Single
Arcana ~ Raspail

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 27, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
Meshuggah-obZen
Jeff Pearce-To The Shores of Heaven, Bleed
Front Line Assembly-Artificial Soldier
Abba-Gold
Coil-Astral Disaster
Postal Service-Give Up
Pucifer-V is for Vagina
Pig Destroyer-Phantom Limb

...yes, I have undiagnosed multiple personality deficit disease disorder...or something...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
Peacee F Moya- Mouth For Sore Sight- A weird, droney & chanty space-alien type thing from the Test Tube netlabel. Completely off the wall, fascinating, and free. Nice combination! 8)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »
King Crimson ~ Thrakk, Red, Starless and Bible Black
Rumforskning ~ Fremtiden
Entia Non ~ Fold, Remora
Nunc Stans ~ Ellesmere Island

Coming up:
The Winterhouse ~ Slow Promises

There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #444 on: April 28, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Mighty fine set there Antdude !
Thanks.

And earlier to uhurit.

Great to see the music getting spins.
Much appreciated.

now playing
- Nunc Stans: Timeless

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #445 on: April 28, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »

black rebel motorcycle club - howl
dj spooky vs. scanner - the quick and the dead
meat beat manifesto - dog star man
skinny puppy - back and forth series 2
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »
np

- Glass: Koyaaisquatsi
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

kawera

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
Juno Reactor - Gods & Monsters -- The new one from Juno Reactor. I've been playing it over and over since I got it just a couple days ago. Funny thing is, I don't know if I really like it. The production sounds really "off" sometimes, and yet there's something mesmerizing about this album. It's certainly far away from the progressive techno and psychedelic trance they/he used to make in the mid 90's. Bible of Dreams is still my favorite JR album, but I just can't stop playing this one. I'm curious to know what others think of it!

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #448 on: April 29, 2008, 04:15:06 AM »
I didn't realize juno reactor had a new one out - the last one I bought was Shango and the Pistollero single (brilliant - much much better than the Shango version of the track!).    I tend to love those first three albums - yeah - Bible of Dreams rocks.

I'm still listening to the dj spooky/scanner album in the car - not through it all the way.   Parts are really good -parts are blah.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #449 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo = GODLINESS!  WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Rowan can certainly growl with the best of him! This is the 3rd of the trilogy of releases, Requiem - Pianissimo is still to be released down the road and is the first of the three. Don't ask me why they released them in #2, #3, #1 in that order. #2 is very symphonic and this one revisits some of the music from the 2nd release. VERY heavy, angelic female vocals, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra used again on it. Utter despair on this baby! It'll be getting several rotations to allow me to let it all seep in! Plus they're coming on tour again to the US (were here last year but couldn't get to NY to see them during the week...  >:( ) with Amorphis, Leaves Eyes and Samael (gonna be a killer show!). Very much looking forward to this one to see them finally! I hope to meet them as well.

Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind (james murphy - ex-death/obituary/testament) and this is a classic from '93 for technical death metal! I had to get it since I never owned the original and this is remastered with 3 bonus tracks.

Did I say how amazing the new VB is yet?!  ::) I've got all their releases except the EP which I can't seem to find....great musicianship/lyrics (interesting)/arrangements. NOT for the faint of heart.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 29, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Namlook & Schulze - Dark Side of the Moog 11

Sprang for this one...glad I did.   This 1st track is a bit like Shpongle.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #451 on: April 30, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
now playing

- Jeff Greinke: Lost Terrain & Wide View
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #452 on: April 30, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »

- Tetsu Inoue: Ambiant Otaku

always a pleasure.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

kawera

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
I didn't realize juno reactor had a new one out - the last one I bought was Shango and the Pistollero single (brilliant - much much better than the Shango version of the track!).    I tend to love those first three albums - yeah - Bible of Dreams rocks.

I haven't heard the Pistolero single, I've only heard the album version, and that one didn't do much for me. For some reason, Shango never really caught on with me, apart from the last two tracks which are both excellent. I actually prefer Labyrinth (the one with a few tracks from the Matrix movies) over Shango. Gods & Monsters is growing on me. I quite fancy it now!

Also played lately:

Hallucinogen - Hallucinogen in Dub -- Excellent remix album, which slows down a bunch of the best Hallucinogen tracks and adds dubby basslines, plenty of tape delay and groovy beats. Highly recommended!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #454 on: April 30, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm a fan of Hallucinogen ... will look out for that dub remix.

Now playing

--- Zenith: Zenith

Surely one of the most enjoyable albums since the birth of Aristotle.
And, if not, certainly one the best from the 90s.
Inoue/Vivanco.
Subtle ambient/sequences.
Doesn't put a foot (or measure) wrong.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:17 AM »

I haven't heard the Pistolero single, I've only heard the album version, and that one didn't do much for me. For some reason, Shango never really caught on with me, apart from the last two tracks which are both excellent. I actually prefer Labyrinth (the one with a few tracks from the Matrix movies) over Shango. Gods & Monsters is growing on me. I quite fancy it now!

Also played lately:

Hallucinogen - Hallucinogen in Dub -- Excellent remix album, which slows down a bunch of the best Hallucinogen tracks and adds dubby basslines, plenty of tape delay and groovy beats. Highly recommended!

Pistolero is a hilarious track in the original short single... humorous voice samples and the guitar is great.   They really watered down both the song elements and the production on Shango for some odd reason - I was highly disapointed with the track on that.   Shango grew on me over time - there are some really great tracks on it that are easy to overlook. 

Hallucinogen - I don't think I have a full album, but I think I've got some tracks on various artist releases.  good stuff.

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »
Recently I have enjoyed:

Perceived Distances (Blue Oasis) - A generous collection of various artists' tracks that flows quite nicely. Great job APK!
React (DIN) - Robert Rich and Ian Boddy recorded live at the Star's End 30th Celebration Concert last year. Sounds like it was a great show. They get their groove on in a serious way a couple of times!
Asunder (steveroach.com) - Nathan Youngblood
and
Mantle (steveroach.com) - Brian Parnham
Both of these offerings from Roach's new label are great textural/drone/ambient sound journeys. Very earthy. Recommended and available through the Hypnos store in addition to Steve's website.
An Opera for Four Fusion Works (Hypnos) - I finally listened to Vidna's series from beginning to end over two sessions. A wonderful exploration of possibilities.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #457 on: May 02, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
Many thanks for the comment on Perceived Distances 1000snakes  :)

np
- Mitchell Akiyama: Big Sur
minimal experimental glitchy noisy fascinating.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Zyp

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 03, 2008, 04:14:41 AM »
Now playing:  A Produce/M Griffin - "Altara"

Earlier: 

Jeff Greinke - "Wide View"
Rapoon - "Time Frost"
Between Interval - "Secret Observatory"

Definitely a chilled start to my weekend with that playlist!  :)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #459 on: May 03, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Tape - Luminarium
Felicia Atkinson with Sylvain Chauveau - Roman anglais - beautiful release featuring spoken words by Atkinson & music by Chauveau.  Atkinson speaks in French & English, and at times sounds a bit like Laurie Anderson in pacing & feel.
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - I've had this one for years but hadn't listened to it recently.  I gave it a spin because I just finished editing a piece on Richard Davis.  He's a 78 year old bass player who played on that album & has played with Sarah Vaughn, Springsteen and others.  He's a music professor at UW-Madison and is one cool guy.  Here's a link to the story if anyone is interested...  http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=0AA0AFDFEDBA91EFB21E12F78F6E7321?contentId=6444377&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1