Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 2181092 times)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5580 on: March 02, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »
Thank you for the confidence and support, cvac. Very glad you are enjoying The Circular Ruins.

I've enjoyed some of your other projects as well. Keep up the good work.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5581 on: March 02, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Thanks !
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5582 on: March 04, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
Recently:

Steve Brand: Leaving the Hive
Meg Bowles: the Shimmering Land
Robert Silverman: Chopin's Last Waltz
Jorge Reyes & Antonio Zepeda: A La Izquierda Del Colibrí
Between Interval: Legacy
CSILLAGKÖD: All the Time
Experiments in Silence: Escape to the Skyline

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: March 04, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Thanks for mentioning the new Northaunt Chris. Superb piece of work.

Cvac - FAXology is a great album indeed. Totally get the name thing  ;D I thought exactly the same when this was recommended to me when released on FAX. I would also recommend Mick’s release on Carpe Sonum - Modes and the ...txt epic Exulansis if indeed you haven’t already checked them out. Both available on bandcamp. He is also half of Autumn Of Communion , which I am sure you will be aware of.

cp; Kloob - Remarkable Events

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5584 on: March 05, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »
Thanks for mentioning the new Northaunt Chris. Superb piece of work.

Cvac - FAXology is a great album indeed. Totally get the name thing  ;D I thought exactly the same when this was recommended to me when released on FAX. I would also recommend Mick’s release on Carpe Sonum - Modes and the ...txt epic Exulansis if indeed you haven’t already checked them out. Both available on bandcamp. He is also half of Autumn Of Communion , which I am sure you will be aware of.

cp; Kloob - Remarkable Events

Thanks for the Mick Chillage recommendations.

Re: Kloob, I liked his last one quite a bit, just need to decide if I want to wait for that new CD to make it to the US or if I should just purchase the FLAC off BC.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5585 on: March 05, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
The Chillage Pixel series is really neat if you want to explore the more experimental drone side of his talents.

Example: https://anodizesound.bandcamp.com/album/pixels-ii

Now playing:

SVLBRD - Stratus
Amazing ambient "techno" on the Faint label--an offshoot of Archives. I put techno in quotes because the work is mostly glacial pads and expansive soundscapes. But, every once in a while, a faint pulse emerges in the background. It isn't quite a "beat," but it helps to create an aural parallax effect very effectively. The first SVLBRD release was one of my favorites a couple of years ago. This will almost certainly be a favorite of 2018.
https://faintmusic.bandcamp.com/album/stratus

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5586 on: March 09, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Recently:

Seetyca: Winterlicht
Bridge to Imla: Radiant Sea
Amir Baghiri: Autumn
Ashley/Story: A Desperate Serenity
Steve Roach: Dreamtime Return - 30th Anniversary 24/96
Ryuichi Sakamoto: Async

AVirtualMemoryOfficial

• And the things of Earth will grow strangely dim.
    • View Profile
    • AVM Official Soundcloud:
« Reply #5587 on: March 13, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »
Lately:

Steve Roach - Now [1982], Traveler [1983], Empetus [1986], and Landmass [2008]

Those first three releases of his I'm honestly pretty new too. I am so used the sound he worked with on albums like Landmass (which is fascinating in its own right) but it's very interesting to hear where it all began. Such a different feeling to all of those early albums but I quite love it, the repetition and the dreamlike quality is incredibly inspiring. "Cloud Motion" is especially resonant, I find myself listening to that one over and over. A true master of his craft.

Grouper - ATP NYC 08:05:09 [2009], Violet Replacement [2012]

"Rolling Gate" is incredibly haunting, I once read somewhere of it being described as "the sound of the beach at night", I can very much agree with that. The ominous and endless churning of the waves against the shore, the pitch blackness of the horizon punctuated by the hazy lights of distant high rises. The washed out, noisy ending is particularly arresting. I've been a fan of her A I A albums for many years now but only found this ATP performance just last year. The version of "She Loves Me That Way" is just sublime... how could she make such a great song sound even better?

Biosphere - Cirque (2016 Version) [2016], Patashnik II [1994]

Another master of his craft, whether that be expressed in nocturnal wanderings like "A Circular Path" or heartbreaking daydreams like "Too Fragile to Walk On". Jenssen just truly achieves something otherworldly with his music, his minimalism is so sharp and poignant.

Richard H. Kirk - Virtual State [1994]

A brilliant record by a brilliant artist. Just a record you can get completely lost in, absolutely perfect from start to finish. It's difficult to pick favorites but "Come" and "The Feeling (of Warmth and Beauty)" are really transformative.

And that is all for now.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5588 on: March 13, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »
Amir Baghiri: Rooms
Oophoi: Hymns to a Silent Sky
Kloob: Remarkable Events
Robert Rich: What We Left Behind
Biff Johnson: Mirage at the Crossroads
Johan Agebjorn & Mikael Ogren: We Never Came to the White Sea

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5589 on: March 13, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Lately:

Biosphere - Cirque (2016 Version) [2016], Patashnik II [1994]

Another master of his craft, whether that be expressed in nocturnal wanderings like "A Circular Path" or heartbreaking daydreams like "Too Fragile to Walk On". Jenssen just truly achieves something otherworldly with his music, his minimalism is so sharp and poignant.

Cirque was the first album by him I ever heard, still sounds incredible to me now. Haven't heard the latest reissue yet...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:29 AM »
Steve Roach - Slow Heat

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »
Jaja - Music For Space Observation

I play this one almost daily. My favorite release this year, so far, and possibly Jana's best yet.

Steve Roach - The Lost Pieces

Rediscovering this one, I'd forgotten how wide-ranging this album is. I love when I "find" an album I've had for years again.

There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5592 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Jaja - Music For Space Observation

Indeed ... this is a lovely release.
Subtle and restrained drone ambient, but always evolving, and so beautifully controlled.

There is a flowing openness to the first track. A darker majesty to the second - Earthrise over the moon.
And a wonderful, almost eerie, deep space feel to the third. Like being aboard a huge empty craft drifting
lost at the very outer reaches of the universe. Excellent !

www.dataobscura.com

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: March 14, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Since buying The Lost Pieces last week I have been in Steve Roach mode.

Been listening to some of the releases I don’t own yet on Spotify. There seem to be a fair few albums added recently. Of all of those listened to, favourites are ;

Invisible
Soul Tones
A Deeper Silence
and
The Desert Inbetween

Great music that must be acquired.

AVirtualMemoryOfficial

• View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »
Cirque was the first album by him I ever heard, still sounds incredible to me now. Haven't heard the latest reissue yet...

I honestly wasn't very impressed with the "bonus" material on the reissues of Shenzou and Microgravity, I can sort of see why they were left off of the original releases in the first place as they don't really add anything. The newly released tracks on the Cirque reissue though are just as stunning as anything on the album and flow perfectly from "Too Fragile" to a new and interesting conclusion. I'd say of any reissue check out that one first, especially if you love the original release.

AVirtualMemoryOfficial

• View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »

Been listening to some of the releases I don’t own yet on Spotify. There seem to be a fair few albums added recently. Of all of those listened to, favourites are ;

Invisible
Soul Tones
A Deeper Silence
and
The Desert Inbetween

The Lost Pieces was one of the first albums of his I got after Origins which I think was a bit of a mistake, had a tough time really getting into it but it is a compilation of sorts rather than a concept record. It's one I would certainly revisit now though having delved deeper into his early work and some more of his collaborations. Have you heard Eclipse Mix? I'm a bit uncertain about jumping into those "long-form" type of albums of his but that one in particular looks pretty interesting. Any others you may recommend like that?

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #5596 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:54 PM »
Wow, David, Anthony !!! Thank you so much for your words.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 14, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »

Invisible
Soul Tones
A Deeper Silence
and
The Desert Inbetween

The Lost Pieces was one of the first albums of his I got after Origins which I think was a bit of a mistake, had a tough time really getting into it but it is a compilation of sorts rather than a concept record. It's one I would certainly revisit now though having delved deeper into his early work and some more of his collaborations. Have you heard Eclipse Mix? I'm a bit uncertain about jumping into those "long-form" type of albums of his but that one in particular looks pretty interesting. Any others you may recommend like that?

Hi there AVMO. I have listened to Ecipse Mix. Not sure of it yet, was working whilst it was playing and initially found it a bit heavy on the bass rumble and thus too much whilst trying to concentrate on other matters. Will have to give it another go without distraction.

Off the top of my head, If we are talking long form, I would highly recommend ;

The Passing- melancholy but utterly beautiful
Invisible - Dark and interesting.
A Deeper Silence

And you seriously cannot go wrong with the Structures from Silence - remastered triple masterpiece.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5598 on: March 14, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Wow, David, Anthony !!! Thank you so much for your words.
You are very welcome Jana.

Jaja - Music For Space Observation  ...  listen here :

https://jajaouterspace.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-space-observation

www.dataobscura.com

AVirtualMemoryOfficial

• View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 14, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
Hi there AVMO. I have listened to Ecipse Mix. Not sure of it yet, was working whilst it was playing and initially found it a bit heavy on the bass rumble and thus too much whilst trying to concentrate on other matters. Will have to give it another go without distraction.

Off the top of my head, If we are talking long form, I would highly recommend ;

The Passing- melancholy but utterly beautiful
Invisible - Dark and interesting.
A Deeper Silence

And you seriously cannot go wrong with the Structures from Silence - remastered triple masterpiece.

Thanks so much for the response and suggestions, much appreciated. Yeah, I sort of gathered that from the little bits I heard of Eclipse Mix which was what made me somewhat hesitant about buying it. I quite like the concept behind it though, maybe the heavy bass has something to do with that?

Been sampling your recommendations, very interesting stuff. The Passing reminds me a bit of his work with Kelly David on The Long Night (which I think I am absolutely in love with) while Invisible almost gives off a Lustmord-esque sort of vibe. I wonder what a collaboration between those two would sound like? And yes of all of his early work I keep meaning to look into Structures, even just the original release. It's been highly recommended before to me and I've slowly been working my way up to it with his other material from that era.

Thanks again!