Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 789032 times)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
The Winston Jazz Routine - Sospiri
Skyphone - Avellaneda
Rameses III - Basilica
hans-joachim roedelius & tim story - inlandish

Undershadow

« Reply #521 on: June 01, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »

Chris Herbert - very nice support set for SotL at their recent Birmingham gig download link from disquiet.com website at http://disquiet.com/2008/05/26/live-chris-herbert-mp3/

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 03, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »
Besides' Mike G.'s new one, I've been listening to Jack Rose's "Dr. Ragtime & His Pals + Self-Titled," an excellent double CD of acoustic guitar in a John Fahey-ish vein from Pelt's front man.

Uhurit, if Silent Place is run by the same guy as Small Voices, be careful.  I had to bring a PayPal complaint against Small Voices after two months of waiting in order to get a bunch of 3" discs I had won in an eBay auction.  Small Voices apparently is no longer listed as an eBay seller.  Too bad, as both Silent Place and Small Voices have released some excellent discs.

Forrest

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 04, 2008, 04:53:58 AM »
Uhurit, if Silent Place is run by the same guy as Small Voices, be careful.  I had to bring a PayPal complaint against Small Voices after two months of waiting in order to get a bunch of 3" discs I had won in an eBay auction.  Small Voices apparently is no longer listed as an eBay seller.  Too bad, as both Silent Place and Small Voices have released some excellent discs.

I believe it is the same guy Forrest.  I've not had any problems with him personally, but if you want to err on the side of caution, Soleilmoon.com has most of the Small Voices / A Silent Place discs in stock.

Relevancy... Celer + Mathieu Ruhlmann Mesoscaphe on the Spekk label.  I've heard of Spekk before, but this is the first disc I've actually picked up on this label.  Nao, who runs Spekk, and also does the designs on these lovely packages (sort of a mini hardback book) threw in a couple extra with my order.  So, I'm slowly going through the above, plus a v/a disc entitled "small melodies" (with Taylor Deupree, Tape, Stephan Mathieu, Sogar, Fenton, Ambarchi and others) and also a disc by Opitope entitled "Hau" which sounds promising.  Half of Opitope is Chihei Hatakeyama who did the fantastic 'minima moralia' disc on Kranky a few years ago.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 04, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »
Today:

Makoto Kawabata, Inui 4  (spectacular guitar drone from the VHF bunker)

Undershadow

« Reply #525 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »
Relevancy... Celer + Mathieu Ruhlmann Mesoscaphe on the Spekk label.  I've heard of Spekk before, but this is the first disc I've actually picked up on this label.  Nao, who runs Spekk, and also does the designs on these lovely packages (sort of a mini hardback book) threw in a couple extra with my order.  So, I'm slowly going through the above, plus a v/a disc entitled "small melodies" (with Taylor Deupree, Tape, Stephan Mathieu, Sogar, Fenton, Ambarchi and others) and also a disc by Opitope entitled "Hau" which sounds promising.  Half of Opitope is Chihei Hatakeyama who did the fantastic 'minima moralia' disc on Kranky a few years ago.

Good score, Jason. I like that Opitope disc, and there've been a few other good ones on Spekk, best of which, for me, is Jefre Cantu-Ledesma's The Garden of Forking Paths, some of which put me in mind of your man Adam Pacione's excellent From Stills to Motion. Definitely worth seeking out if you haven't already.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #526 on: June 04, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
Stephan Mathieu - Auf der Gasse
currently Radioland is one of my favorite albums .... so full of bliss
and static and still warm and cozy .... hmh, the way i like it

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

shuttle358 - understanding wildlife
roach/obmana - well of souls
madness - the business
scanner/dj spooky - the quick and the dead
jega - spectrum

and upcoming AtmoWorks releases
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #528 on: June 04, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »
I've been so negligent in the last two months!

Christopher Bissonnette "In Between Words" - fantastic. Slightly more varied than Periphery. Slow-burning.
Christopher Willits "Plants and Hearts" - a bit short at 20 minutes but nice polished, processed guitar-based ambience.

And a lot of 12K...

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 06, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »
Gavin Bryars - Hommages

Been years since I've heard this one.  Picked it up electronically through emusic.  Sounds much better than the noisy vinyl version, and there are bonus tracks, too.  I prefer this very early work of Bryars to some of his later ECM and Point Music releases.  There are suggestions of Harold Budd, Satie and minimalism here and there, all to the good.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 06, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
I Awake-"The Core" (Ultimae). Another winner of ambient chill-scapes from this great great label.

Tangerine Dream-"Booster" Well the back cover says this sounds like Rubycon and Phaedra. Not by a longshot! But it's still a good album of modern TD, this one's all E. Froese.

Move D/Namlook-"Travelling the Silk Route" (Fax) Another good 'un on Fax.

Gary Numan-"Exile" One of this dude's best...

M. Griffin-"Fabrications" This dude sux (just kidding)

Klaus Schulze-"Virtual Outback" Tasty modern Schulze, sounds like about 50 of his other albums, but it's all good nonetheless

Rod Modell-"Incense and Black Light" Hella cool.

Gel-Sol-"Iz" Like some lost Fax album from the early 90's.  Sweet.

Evan Marc/Steve Hillage-"Dreamtime Submersible" It doesn't get much better than this...

Carbon Based Lifeforms-"World of Sleepers" Maybe the best Ultimae album to date.  A total masterpiece.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #531 on: June 08, 2008, 05:35:01 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of Telomere, a space ambient artist from San Francisco.

The Stellar Sea-
Astral Currents-
Zoetosis-

These three albums are just incredible.  They are the sound of the stars.  His music is largely written on a Serge modular, and the sounds he pulls out of that thing are just unbelievable.  You can point to influences such as John Serrie, but he really has a sound of his own.

Everytime I listen to Telomere, I'm a little boy again, looking up at the stars through my telescope. :)

Also, the new Roach album "A Deeper Silence" is getting spins right now.  It takes me back to his slightly older stuff, such as Darkest Before Dawn and The Dream Circle.  Well worth getting.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #532 on: June 08, 2008, 07:06:34 AM »
deepspace - i agree about telomere - very cool stuff although i have not listened for a while.
right now i am listening to your ep - subantarctic sessions - very nice. it reminds me of craig padilla's vostok and rudy adrian's subantarctica and some of vidna obmana's early dark pieces. it is very cool (pun intended).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:09:10 AM by jim brenholts »
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2008, 05:57:35 AM »
Vidna was defintely an influence- his old stuff, like "Over Clouds", from Refined on Gentle Clouds, just gets to me.  So that was definitely in there for Subantarctic Sessions.  Another album, that isn't Arctic themed, but had a strange influence on that EP was Donnacha Costello's "Together is the New Alone"   I love that album- it has such a distinct sound, especially the track "Dry Retch"  A fantastic piece of music that I am very jealous of. :)

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 10, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »
Proton Kinoun - Apeiron

This is very, very nice free music in the style of Vir Unis/Steve Roach - Blood Machine and the like.

http://www.last.fm/music/Proton+Kinoun/Apeiron

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 10, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
Emeralds / Quintana Roo - split LP.   Ahh, the Emeralds.  Fuzzed out space-rock ambient gives you an idea of where they're coming from.  Mix in some guitar drone and a bit of distant chiming dotted throughout.  I've been intrigued by Emeralds as they're Ohio-based, and have a well-reputed discography.  The problem is, half of their output is on cassettes on obscenely obscure labels (Together Tapes, Gods of Tundra - anyone, anyone?) and are nowhere to be found.   There are a few other vinyls, split and upcoming that I'm on the hunt for too, including one on Ecstatic Peace.  Quintana Roo is a worthy split vinyl inhabiter - hints at something a bit sinister, sort of like when Hafler Trio were self-abusing back in the day instead of the latter-day bombardment of self-liturgies. 

www.emeraldsohio.com

Stephan Mathieu - Radioland.  Alan recommended this pretty whole-heartedly, and I have to agree - this is a stellar album.  I'm only on pass one, but it sounds like (judging from the lack of Mathieu) in my collection, I've been missing out.

Stars of the Lid - Carte-de-visite.  This was the tour CD.  I didn't get to see them - yeah, I know each performance was stunning - please don't rub it in.  I'm not bitter though, and I'll prove it  ;) If you're even remotely a SotL fan - kranky has some of these for sale on their site :

http://www.kranky.net/

Copies are probably not going to be available for too long.  It's worth the price wherever you are.  Outtakes from 'and their refinement', 'the tired sounds', pre-'tired sounds' unreleased and other rare gems.  Superb.

Lau Nau - Nukkuu LP on Locust.  Finnish Folk.  Doubt too many people care, but I'm loving this stuff along with other recent pick-ups by Islaja, Kuupuu, and Es

Jason
infractionrecords.com

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
Current Discoveries...
Love the spelunking for new ear treats...

Taphephobia | Anomie
Protoplasmic Reversion | Sunken Temples
Patrick Miller | Johnny on the Spot
Calib-Yau | Compactified
Gydja/Maru | Ma-mo-rbad-gtong
Nordvargr | Interstellar
Lucette Bourdin | Timeless Shore
Aegri Somnia | Nothingness
William Basinski | Camino Real
Blue Dark | Places of Mystery
Nverxion | A Look Within

H.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
Good to see that Emeralds will release an LP version of Allegory of Allergies, a great drone record.  I wish they'd release more cd's or cdr's.

other recent spins...
Holger Czukay - On the Way to the Peak of Normal [1982]
Happy The Man - Happy The Man [1977]
Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes [1971]
Clara Mondshine - Luna Africana [1981]

I guess I was in the mood for some old music.  Happy the Man & Clara Mondshine both remind of college, at least what I can remember of college.

Phaenon

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #538 on: June 11, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
Well, I've received two recent albums from Malignant Records.
Caul and Kirchenkampf "Sleep-Night-Death"
Eidvlon "Idolatriae"
I'm really enjoying those CDs right now.

From older stuff"
Tangerine Dream "Ricochet", "Force Majeure", "Encore"
Klaus Schulze "Moondawn"
Very refreshing listening... Pre-laptops, pre-digital, a proof what creativity and imagination can bring...

Szymon

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #539 on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:40 AM »
Infraction,

I ordered one the other night. :) Can't wait to hear it.