Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 807736 times)

Undershadow

Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #540 on: June 12, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »
Infraction,

I ordered one the other night. :) Can't wait to hear it.

OOC, which Infraction did you order? There are 30-odd of those babies, give or take a few OOPs...
or were you addressing Jason aka Infraction about something else he mentioned that you've ordered...?

Just to clarify...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:00:22 AM by Undershadow »

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 12, 2008, 05:49:25 AM »
lately I've been listening a lot to

Stars of the Lid - Carte De Visite
Kranky recently announced that they have a lot of their tour CD left and they are selling them for $15ppd.  I'm liking it a lot so far. 

M83 - Digital Shades
This took quite a while to grow on me but now I love it. 

Steve Roach - Immersion Three

Matmos - Supreme Balloon

And (non Electronic)
New Weezer and Sun Kil Moon

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 12, 2008, 06:10:58 AM »
Like Mark M, I too am immersed in the latest disc from Christopher Bissonnette, In Between Words recently released on Kranky.  I like the orchestral and oxygenated drones intermixed with the field recordings and metallic found-like sounds--a lot less stuffy than Periphery although I liked that work as well...It's like recent Stars of the Lid meets Thomas Köner...really an excellent offering from Mssr. Bissonnette.....

I know others have sung the praises of Willits-Sakamoto's Oceanfire but I'll sing them again - I love how noisy and experimental this work is - it's as if both artists known for their excellent spacious works have recently been influenced by the dinscapes of Tim Hecker or even some of Merzbow's bag of sound mutilation...These tracks are both beautiful and glitchy by often go beyond "error" into exquisite "failure"--crazy volume swells, stuttering undercurrents, and surprising twists into near sonic implosion...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:18:53 AM by Ben Fleury-Steiner »

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #543 on: June 12, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »
dinscapes of Tim Hecker!  haha. i like that description.
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #544 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
Infraction,

I ordered one the other night. :) Can't wait to hear it.

OOC, which Infraction did you order? There are 30-odd of those babies, give or take a few OOPs...
or were you addressing Jason aka Infraction about something else he mentioned that you've ordered...?

Just to clarify...

I think he's telling Infraction/Jason that he ordered the SOTL tour disc from Kranky
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 12, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
Ben,  I couldn't quite get into the Willits-Sakamoto "Ocean Fire" CD, though I like many of their other solo works and works with other folks.  Maybe it was the recording, which sound very muddy and mid-rangy.  The CD also sounds like it was mixed on the fly, as opposed to, say the Sakamoto-Fennesz "Cendre" CD, which sounded much fuller to my ears.  The "Ocean Fire" disc brings back unpleasant memories of the "clicks and cuts" style of em, which for the most part sounded much too noodly and unfocused to me.

As for current listens, a hearty thumbs up to -

Starless & Bible Black -s/t (an eclectic folk group from the UK that sounds a lot like the Pentangle with occasional odd use of electronics)
The Threshold of Silence (great Umbra ambient comp with Aidan Baker, Propeller Island, and Paul Bradley, among others)

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #546 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
telefon tel aviv - remixes compiled
boards of canada - geogaddi
bola - kroungine
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
Stars of the Lid - Carte-De-Visite (The tour-only CD. Just arrived today. Magical. Buy this from Kranky before they're all gone.)

Thomas Koner - Nuuk, Kaamos (Isn't he working on a new CD for release this year? Please?)

Tim Hecker - Indigo Aerial

After listening to Carte, I have a feeling this will be another SotL weekend.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 14, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Oophoi-three lights at the end of the world
Tau ceti-Lifting the veil
Beequeen-sandancing

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #549 on: June 14, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
Recommendations to make your summertime listening more fun...

cut copy - in ghost colours - at times very 8p's synth pop sounding but in a totally good way, very nice pop music that I'll be listening to all summer.
the ting tings - we started nothing - bouncy, shiny pop that has no substance or staying power but is fun for awhile.
Coconut Records - Nighttiming - a collection of different styles that works pretty well.  I absolutely love the song "West Coast", very sunny & poppy, perfect for summertime listening.
duffy - rockferry - Duffy is a white soul singer with '60s styling, like fellow brit, Amy Winehouse, but better, less annoying.  Good production & instrumentation makes this a fun throw-back listen.
vampire weekend - vampire weekend - sort of ska, indie, afropop, tralking heads meets graceland.  tons of memorable hooks & melodies.  my daughter & I will be singing these tunes in the car a lot this summer.
Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel - I bought the Amazon mp3 version of this on a recommendation from Brian Bieniowski.  He describes it as "bedroom, ambient pop".  Good description, good record.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
Today:

1. Fabio Orsi, Find Electronica
2. Jonathan Coleclough & Lethe, Long Heat
3. Keith Berry, A Strange Feather
4. Exercises in Obscurism, SSR label, various
5. Arc, Arkhangelsk (Aidan Baker and co.)
6. Thuja, Pine Cone Temples
7. Jorge Reyes, Mort Aux Vaches
8. Hank and Slim, The World Turned Gingham
9. Verve Remixed (...it is my guilty pleasure for today...)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2008, 07:24:27 PM »
I've been off in Europe for a couple of weeks.
Good to be back amid my gear and album collection ... missed the music !

This weekend a few favorites
- Tom Opdahl: Black Smoker
- Cell: Live at Kumharas - Ibiza
- Entia Non: Sub Routine
- Last Days: These Places Are now Ruins
- Loscil: Triple Point
- Pub: Summer
- Boc Scadet: Vessel in June
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
Ben,  I couldn't quite get into the Willits-Sakamoto "Ocean Fire" CD, though I like many of their other solo works and works with other folks.  Maybe it was the recording, which sound very muddy and mid-rangy.  The CD also sounds like it was mixed on the fly, as opposed to, say the Sakamoto-Fennesz "Cendre" CD, which sounded much fuller to my ears.  The "Ocean Fire" disc brings back unpleasant memories of the "clicks and cuts" style of em, which for the most part sounded much too noodly and unfocused to me.
hey forrest--first off cendre is fabulous.  we agree to disagree on ocean fire - what can be exciting (and most definitely is with this release) when one confronts the world of so called "clicks and cuts" (never liked that categorizing phrase much) is a total defiance of expectations.  Perhaps more precisely I hear sounds on ocean fire that are very interesting to me and I enjoy how organic and wonderfully bewildering the whole thing is.  Now one might respond by saying 'well, any one can just make noise.'  true enough, but not too many grab my attention and make me want to listen.  ocean fire does so in spades.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:18 AM »
David Darling - Cello and Darkwood.
Lustmord - Zoetrope.
Oophoi - Bardo
Awakenings 2008 Vols 1 & 1.5

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 17, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »
Wow, I've been in the Hawkwind cockpit for days now:

Xenon Codex
Electric Tepee
Chronicle of the Black Sword
etc.etc.etc...

It never ends...and I love it...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 18, 2008, 04:48:27 AM »
Wow, I've been in the Hawkwind cockpit for days now:

Xenon Codex
Electric Tepee
Chronicle of the Black Sword
etc.etc.etc...

It never ends...and I love it...

Do you have a favourite Hawkwind period?

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 18, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
Hmmm...as far as a favourite period for Hawkwind, of course the "Golden" era with Lemmy is at the top (if I had to choose one): Doremi Fasol Latido, Space Ritual, Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior at the Edge of Time. But then I really got into the Calvert time, appreciating it for different reasons. Now I am on the (I guess late middle) period, digging into some of the stuff I had written off before. Electric Teepee, Xenon, and Chronicle of the Black Sword are sounding good to me, that bizarre melding of space rock/techno/ambient/electro with a Fritz Lang distopia aesthetic edge. I love the ambivalent attitude of Hawkind toward technology and industrialization. On the one hand they embraced all the technology and made totally out there music, eschewing nothing in the pursuit of a totally unique soundworld...on the other hand they have a retro pagan stonehenge type cosmicism. The most "literary" band I have ever encountered, not just in the lyrics but the whole experience, and literally, with sci-fi writers like Moorcock and poets like Calvert being deeply involved in the band. Then they've got the visual aspects covered, with incredible designers like Barney Bubbles completing the essence.

Oh, kind of got off topic...I love this band! But this later middle period is captivating me right now. It's really poppy and catchy, but strangely impregnated with electronica. Hawkwind seemed like they were taking in all these different threads of electronica (some of which they were instrumental in creating in the first place) and weaving them together. Hawkwind is a band that always took in a lot of influences in to the stew and made it all sound better than the practitioners of those individual styles ever could. Blues, Psych, Punk, New Wave, Techno/House, Ambeint...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 19, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
I missed the golden golden age of Lemmy etc, first seeing them in 77 for the Quark tour. Even so it was amazing and the only big gig I've ever seen where people just sat open mouthed until the encvore. Then saw them as often as possible (17 times on one tour when they were the Hawklords) - until 82 and the Levitation tour. Was amazing to see Tim Blake play New Jerusalem and (I think) Nati...

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 19, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
John Davis - The Gold Hooped Nature (this one is finally starting to grow on me; subtle drones, processing and field recordings; on Root Strata)
Natural Snow Buildings - The Wheel of Sharp Daggers (cassette)(this French duo is sort of an acquired taste; this release of extended tracks is spread a little thin, though there are some nice Popol Vuh-ish moments on side two; uses way too much compression; on Digitalis)

Forrest

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #559 on: June 20, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Some new...
Stars of the Lid - Carte De Visite [kranky] - very nice, if you liked 'Refinement' you'll like this.
The Green Kingdom - Laminae [the land of 2008] - sort of ambient, sort of glitchy, toss in some field recordings & you've got a very nice release. Definitely on the lighter side of ambient.  You can find it here... Green Kingdom

Some old...well not really old just not new...
Saul Stokes - Vast [foundry 2006] - wow, I hadn't listened to this one in a long time.  Not my favorite Stokes release, but better than I remembered it.  I like it a lot.
Chris Short - Duende [atmoworks 2002] - excellent guitar ambient.  a double cd full of great music.