Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 814525 times)

leech

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #560 on: June 20, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »
last few evenings iv been listening to Tom Heasley's "where the earth meets the sky" - it has been giving me vivid dreams - i like the long holds of tuba sounds.

on the subject of tuba - i remember watching oren marshall perform at the adelaide in London with his tuba - he would play the instrument and slowly purposefully disassemble its part and create sounds/notes with it. it was intriguing to watch and listen. a mixture of slow deep brass sounds with sparse amount of clanging as he placed tuba parts on the wooden floor. the acoustic were great! i also liked how his goofy personality was portrayed through the performance.  :P

anyway - listening to heasley's album tonight  :-*
When you look at art made by other people, you see what you need to see in it. -- Giacometti.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 21, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
Well, my Nah und Fern has finally arrived!!!

Can't wait to see, if I feel about it the same way I did 7-8 years ago.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #562 on: June 21, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »
Been playing some Namlook this evening.
Particularly enjoyed

- Namlook: Air II - traveling without moving

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
I missed the golden golden age of Lemmy etc, first seeing them in 77 for the Quark tour. Even so it was amazing and the only big gig I've ever seen where people just sat open mouthed until the encvore. Then saw them as often as possible (17 times on one tour when they were the Hawklords) - until 82 and the Levitation tour. Was amazing to see Tim Blake play New Jerusalem and (I think) Nati...

Great to hear about this! I've never seen them live (I was born at the time of Space Ritual). But the more I hear, and the more I read about them, I imagine that seeing the Hawks live must have been a transformative experience. To me, their music actually wavers in and out of this dimension (while being pretty damn catchy too). I like the Calvert period a lot (even got the Centigrade 232 cd of him reading his poems, quite nice) for its crazy literaryness, magnificent lyrical content and the bizarre mix of sci-fi and art. What was it like to see these guys live at that time? Any events you care to relate in detail? (Maybe a Hawkwind thread should be started...will do so soon)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #564 on: June 24, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »
np

Biosphere: Dropsonde CD

Was certainly an uneven beast.
But I find tracks like 2,3, and the wonderful last piece to be among his very best.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 25, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »
Jonathan Coleclough, Period (perfect integration of piano and drone!  Wow!)

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #566 on: June 25, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Shirk - Riesal
support your local ambient artists .... he not local to me but
one of my best friends on the i-net .... and a wonderful
artist to say the least ....

http://www.myspace.com/shirkuk 

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »
live under a harvest moon - ma ja le and james johnson - what's not to love? this is a great cd featuring three of my favorite performers and three friends! i haven't listened nearly enough but i do love this disc!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »
I started on a Jade Warrior binge yesterday and have continued some today. I go through periods where I listen to them a lot and then put them aside for long periods. Today I have been listening to some of their later albums like Horizen, At Peace, Breathing the Storm, Distant Echoes and Eclipse. I think they are a terribly underrated band that put out some unique pieces. I don't really know how to classify them. They have a new release called Now which is due out soon. More info on them at  http://www.jadewarrior.com/mainsml1.html       Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #569 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:11 AM »

Finally back to work after 2 weeks off (and not much music listening - but a whole ton of tv watching and napping...)

np:   Cabaret Voltaire - The Conversation (disc 2)

I love this release - it's so 'not normal CV' stuff... it's more of a Richard Kirk solo album - completely instrumental. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

phrozenlight

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 30, 2008, 07:31:37 AM »
yes I know a bit spam, but I am listening to it as a stream

http://www.archive.org/details/Spaceflight

playtime 78:34

fly through space

(edited to remove self-promotional content)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:44:57 PM by mgriffin »

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #571 on: June 30, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
I always thought its a bit inappropriate to tell people
that you are listening to your own music, but maybe
thats just my type of thinking. :-\

Stephan Mathieu - Auf der Gase
such a beautiful record "Radioland" is .... love it :-*

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #572 on: June 30, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »
Nah... I don't see a problem with listening to yourself or mentioning it.    This is a very informal thread.   :)    I do listen to my own stuff once in a while and sometimes I talk about it.   

Anyway...

was:   Saul Stokes - Vast

now:   a bunch of albums getting ready for release on AtmoWorks in July  (Vir Unis/Disturbed Earth, Jonathan Hughes, Steve Brand, Exuviae)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #573 on: June 30, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
I don't have a problem with people mentioning that they're listening to their own music but this thread should absolutely not be used for self-promotion.  If you want to promote your own music, there's a section of this forum designed for that.  I'm going to edit Phrozenlight's post and remove the "advertisement" elements.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 30, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
I don't have a problem with people mentioning that they're listening to their own music but this thread should absolutely not be used for self-promotion.  If you want to promote your own music, there's a section of this forum designed for that.  I'm going to edit Phrozenlight's post and remove the "advertisement" elements.

Totally agree. I check out this section once a day specifically for the purpose of discovering new to me artists that someone else ls listening to.

phrozenlight

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 01, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »

that's alright for me  ;D ;D
told you it was spam  ;)

now playing : Klaus Schulze - Totentag

Mr.Eyeball

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 01, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
Thought Industry "Songs For Insects"

Residents "Duck Stab" Just because

Nathan Youngblood "Asunder" It's been a while

Steve Roach "Landmass" Going well with the looming monsoon sky

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »
sigur ros - Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust - Still sorting through this one. I like it, just depends on how much I like it.
Saul Stokes - Outfolding - I had to give this a spin after using a cut from Washed in Mercury in the last mix.  Excellent.
Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up A Hill - Fantastic lo-fi, atmospheric folk tunes with a distinct, ghostly quality.  Songs are a bit more up front than previous albums.  Wonderful release.  Possible candidate for end of the year best of list.
mwvm - rotations - Any Stars of the Lid fans will like this record.  Just a bit darker & more dissonant than recent SOTL.  Excellent recording.

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #578 on: July 02, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
Posted this lengthy post to AtmoWorks - reposting here:

Ok - so I finally found a spindle of 50 cd's that I'd misplaced in my studio months and months ago.   Somehow it ended up on the back of a shelf where I have a couple stacks of back up and archive cdr's from projects.    So finally listening to some stuff I've been missing out on lately!

medeski, martin and wood - uninvisible - you can't beat MMW for jazz groove goodness.   On later albums they added a dj - the earlier albums are much more traditional sounding piano/organ, bass, drums - later they just jam out.   Great, great stuff.   What absolutely kills me is they've played near my house twice in the last 4 years and I had no freaking idea they were playing.   

pan sonic - aaltopirri - the 2nd track off of this album ranks up there among the absolute best ambient (with beats) tracks ever made in my opinion.   Much of their music is very experimental sine wave feedback stuff - they're definitely not an ambient band... :)

supergrass - supergrass - some great tracks on this one - especially 'faraway'.   some very middling not as great tracks on this one as well.. overall - very solid if you like your britpop.

plug - drum n bass for papa - great jungle/dnb from luke vibert (he also records as wagonchrist).   this album mixes in frenetic drums with jazzier type bass and martial arts movie samples...  it came with a 2nd disc which inluded three ep's - some really nice stuff on that - less jazz - higher bpm...

prodigy - fat of the land - yeah yeah - poster boys of the mid-late 90's 'electronica' revolution (which technically never happened - but the press kept saying it was going to sweep the US by storm!   yeah right...   richie hawtin was supposed to do that this decade as well - but I've never run across anyone wearing a plastikman t-shirt in central illinois... ha.)  anyway - fat of the land has some dead on great tracks mixed in with mediocre stuff... when prodigy is on - they're on.

orbital - blue - this one I've been itching to listen to for months and couldn't find it...  the final track is a fitting end to their orbital career - truly a great track.   I still find that I connect on an emotional level with earlier albums like In Sides and Brown much much more... but this is a fine final album for them.

stone roses - second coming - another in the category of utterly brilliant tracks mixed with really mediocre tracks... I loved these egostical guys back in the day... still love most of the ablum before this and half of this one...

red hot chili peppers - blood sugar sex magik - oh yeah, fantastic album... saw them live on this tour with smashing pumpkins and pearl jam opening - great show - especially the openers (unfortunately when they opened up the sound for the chili peppers they blew out the bass - and lets face it - no low kick drum and not being able to hear flea play bass... ummm... yeah - not as good...)

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 02, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »
Wow Dave! I didn't realize anyone on this forum dug MWVM.I also love this group.

LIstening to:
SPK-Document boxset
Dimthings-Those unforgettable shamen
Tasaday-L'eterna Risata
Lull-Like a slow river
Nadja/Netherworld-Magma to ice
Joe Grimm-Brain Cloud
Mathieu Ruhlmann and Celer-Mesocaphe
Yair Etziony-Flawed
Sostrah Tinnitis-Piccola Musica per staglieno
Oophoi/Tau Ceti-Subterranea