Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 799446 times)

spunknik

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #620 on: July 15, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
I'm continuing to listen to the Umbra/Penumbra catalog as fast as Lena can send them to me.She is doing a fantastic job,I might add.

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 16, 2008, 06:21:03 AM »
hey Joe R, i've been hesitating about the Paul Bradley collab. Behind your very Eyes cd whether to order or not since i can't find any mp3's on this one as well as his Liquid Horizon cd..
I'm glad you mentioned as well the Baker/Borghi cd, Aidan Baker has becoming increasingly one of my very favorite artists.. the man is so very profilic

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #622 on: July 16, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
np

Weigl & Hoffmann: Elevate

Big fan of Weigl's poetic songs and rhythms.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Undershadow

« Reply #623 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »

hey Joe R, i've been hesitating about the Paul Bradley collab. Behind your very Eyes cd whether to order or not since i can't find any mp3's on this one

Hesitate no longer, Jim. Go for it. You won't be sorry. Joe R would say the same too. I know, 'cos he told me so. We had a big Bradley/Potter/Tate/Coleclough Binge back earlier in the year, and Behind Your Very Eyes came out among our top listens.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
Hey Jim-

Alan's right, you should take the plunge, it's great stuff. I can thank Alan for introducing me to the whole bunch of those Droning Brits that he mentions. :)

I would describe Behind Your Very Eyes thusly:

Track one is a dark, intense drone with onimous nature samples.
Tracks 2 and 3 are black and turbulent, though not "scary", per se.
Track 4 is dark , drifting, and calm -reminds me of Oophoi.

All in all, a very fine album.
-------------------------------------------------

Now, about Aidan Baker-- which ones would you recommend?  I LOVE Undercurrents, but I have a few others that don't impress me so much -they sound rather ragged and unfinished. Maybe Baker is a bit too prolific?

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 16, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »
I'll add a third to the recommendation on the Bradley/Potter collab--it's an excellent one, if occasionally intense.

Lena - Extended Gestures for Cello  (finally picked this up, and am glad I did.  Parts of it remind me of the bowed metal music of Harry Bertoia.  Nicely done, Lena!)
Richard Pinhas - Iceland (one of my favorite early Pinhas releases; nice balance between the keys and guitar)
Elbow - Cast of Thousands (an odd one that came recommended to me by Robert Rich; a strange mixture of late Talk Talk and David Bridie)

Forrest

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #626 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »
Hey Jim-

Alan's right, you should take the plunge, it's great stuff. I can thank Alan for introducing me to the whole bunch of those Droning Brits that he mentions. :)

I would describe Behind Your Very Eyes thusly:

Track one is a dark, intense drone with onimous nature samples.
Tracks 2 and 3 are black and turbulent, though not "scary", per se.
Track 4 is dark , drifting, and calm -reminds me of Oophoi.

All in all, a very fine album.
-------------------------------------------------

Now, about Aidan Baker-- which ones would you recommend?  I LOVE Undercurrents, but I have a few others that don't impress me so much -they sound rather ragged and unfinished. Maybe Baker is a bit too prolific?

When it comes down to Aidan Baker i surely would
recommend his "The Sea Swells A Bit" or his "Loop Studies One".
I could recommend mostly all of his stuff. Field of Drones is also
really calm and pretty good for low volume playback.

Bass Communion - Ghosts on magnetic tape part IV

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 17, 2008, 03:17:04 AM »
hey Joe / Undershadow, thanks for taking away my hesitations on the Paul bradley cd, i'm gonna check it out now for sure ;-)
Joe, i saw you draw some comparisons with your admired artist Oophoi, well than i can recommend 2 cd's you REALLY cannot miss.. as Undershadow already mentioned, the new Lull disc Like a Slow River. It's the best i've heard from the GM label and certainly the deepest drone record in recent memory!
Another one is Andrew Deutsch, The Sun, imo one of the most exquisite drone cd's there is..

Back to Aidan Baker, yes he released so much stuff over the last few years, many of them are impossible to find but you'll see more labels deciding to re-release them on cd-format, that's good thing!

I agree with SiFi, that The Sea swells a bit is a good one. Also his Oneiromancer comes close to that one. I LOVE his Ice against my Skin, those tracks are so powerful but controlled.. and 2 free downloads from him i'd check out are;
Concretion and Within the Final Circle
He also recently released another dark folkish record, Scalpel, it's not the most typical style of music i like due to its whispering vocals.. but i happened to love that one! It's such a spacious, luscious sound.. but i'm not so sure if this one is your cup of tea, Joe

last 2 days;
steve roach - the dream circle
liquid ghosts - camera obscura
jeff greinke - lost terrain
baker/borghi - undercurrents
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:25:41 AM by jim02 »

Undershadow

« Reply #628 on: July 17, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »

Aother one is Andrew Deutsch, The Sun, imo one of the most exquisite drone cd's there is..

I certainly second Jim's emotion on Deutsch's The Sun. I happened to be listening to this last night and was thinking of posting about how good it is - hadn't quite fully appreciated it when I first acquired it but I do now. In spades... I used to go on about his Loops Over Land, but this surpasses it.

I agree with SiFi, that The Sea swells a bit is a good one. Also his Oneiromancer comes close to that one.

I think those two would be my Aidan Baker recs too, though I'm not a massive fan of AB. Like Joe seems to intimate, I've come to feel  - the more I've been exposed to his work - that he puts out way too much stuff for his (or our) own good, and a little more judicious pruning would not go amiss. That said, others who are real Bakerophiles (like Martin/SiF) will doubtless pooh pooh such sentiments.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #629 on: July 17, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »

Aother one is Andrew Deutsch, The Sun, imo one of the most exquisite drone cd's there is..

I certainly second Jim's emotion on Deutsch's The Sun. I happened to be listening to this last night and was thinking of posting about how good it is - hadn't quite fully appreciated it when I first acquired it but I do now. In spades... I used to go on about his Loops Over Land, but this surpasses it.

I agree with SiFi, that The Sea swells a bit is a good one. Also his Oneiromancer comes close to that one.

I think those two would be my Aidan Baker recs too, though I'm not a massive fan of AB. Like Joe seems to intimate, I've come to feel  - the more I've been exposed to his work - that he puts out way too much stuff for his (or our) own good, and a little more judicious pruning would not go amiss. That said, others who are real Bakerophiles (like Martin/SiF) will doubtless pooh pooh such sentiments.
I am not a Bakerophiles, though its a cool word. ;)
I just really dig Bakers Tunes a lot. But i also have
to admit, that sometimes he is a bit to prolific.
And sometimes that hurts the music quality just
like it did to his release called "Fragile Movements In Slow Motion"
which was a huge "low light" imo. But he also delivered
so fantastic works, i would especially recommend his
"I Will Always And Forever Hold You In My Heart And Mind" or
his "Still My Beating Heart Beats". But of course it depends
on my mood.

Shirk - Dipsy

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 17, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks dudes, for all the Aidan Baker tips. I'll certainly keep them in mind. :)

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #631 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »

Lena - Extended Gestures for Cello  (finally picked this up, and am glad I did.  Parts of it remind me of the bowed metal music of Harry Bertoia.  Nicely done, Lena!)

Thank you!  :)
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 18, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »
Another one is Andrew Deutsch, The Sun, imo one of the most exquisite drone cd's there is..

I just sampled some of this and think I'm going to buy it based on your guy's rec's.  It sounds fantastic. 

I'm fairly new to the and/OAR label.  Anyone have any other favorites on their roster?  I'm thinking of also picking up Wind by Francisco Lopez. 

NP
Windy and Carl - Dreamhouse
Numina - Sanctuary of Dreams
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:25:03 PM by avec »

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #633 on: July 19, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »

I just sampled some of this and think I'm going to buy it based on your guy's rec's.  It sounds fantastic. 

I'm fairly new to the and/OAR label.  Anyone have any other favorites on their roster?  I'm thinking of also picking up Wind by Francisco Lopez. 

NP
Windy and Carl - Dreamhouse
Numina - Sanctuary of Dreams
Get that disc from Yui Onodera. He is a true gem.

g.@.b.

« Reply #634 on: July 19, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
Steve Roach - Landmass + Core

Just received Landmass, via ground, yesterday & have listened via car & headphones. My first impression is "nice", second impression is "a decelerated Core", with interspersed percussive elements throughout.

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 19, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »

Get that disc from Yui Onodera. He is a true gem.

I ordered a copy of The Sun and the Lopez disc as well.  Onodera is on my list (I have to pace myself!)  but I do say that their prices are reasonable.  $10 ppd is a rarity nowadays

But if anyone has any suggestions about their roster I'm open to hear about it.   Or maybe I should just start a thread about the label instead of hijacking here.

NP
Portishead - Third

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 19, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
Avec, the Mnortham cd is also worth checking out. this one is very nice dronish cd as well, rather different again from the Sun but certainly one of the a/O cd's i would start recommending!

also the Osone cd is interesting as well, but with a more experimental touch, all inbetween the low and high frequency ends..

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »
Been playing Alan's drone mixes from a while back

- Swells and Billows,  i and ii

enjoyable stuff, for the most part.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
And now

- Exit In Grey: Twilight Waters
- SleepResearch Facility: Deep Frieze

Couple of good, grainy, drone ambient works.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Undershadow

« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Been playing Alan's drone mixes from a while back

- Swells and Billows,  i and ii

enjoyable stuff, for the most part.

Thanks, Anthony.
For those interested who missed it, the original posting I made about these mixes was here:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=371.msg3122#msg3122

The sendspace links to the two files had expired in the meantime, so I have now re-uploaded them. They can be found here:

all swells and billows i - Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3xrheq
all swells and billows ii - Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/me7o9r