Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 815372 times)

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #660 on: July 24, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
Vidna Obmana- Memories 1- Monument Of Empty Colors/Gathering In Frozen Beauty; Delicate and ghostly, and a definitive study of isolation. Any Vidna fan who hasn't heard these early classics should look these up.

Nunc Stans- Land

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #661 on: July 24, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »
Andrew Deutsch - The Sun - I absolutely love the album.  Thanks to Brian Bieniowski for the recommendation.

Nunc Stans - Land - very nice, floaty ambience.  good stuff.

Marconi Union - a lost connection - I really like their other two releases, hopefully this will be right up there.  So far so good.

rikm

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 27, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

The Circular Ruins - A Treatise on Navigation (another fabulous work from APK, such a wealth of talent!)

Curve - The Way of Curve (memories of brief shining moments where anything was possible...)

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 27, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »
mwvm - rotations - Any Stars of the Lid fans will like this record.  Just a bit darker & more dissonant than recent SOTL.  Excellent recording.

I completely love this release.  Very cold and celestial, gives me visions of being isolated on a space station (Solaris anyone?).  Highly recommended! 

Anyway, I'm streaming a live set he did, up here
http://www.pingthings.com/mwvmalmostlive.mp3

and follow the link for a remix of the album that he posted up for download
http://www.archive.org/details/silber066-mwvm-rotations-remixed

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
OM - Pilgrimage

followed by

Seefeel - Quique

and maybe

Experimental Audio Research - Beyond the Pale

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 28, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »
Severed Heads-Adenoids boxset

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:13 AM »
Vidna Obmana- Memories 1- Monument Of Empty Colors/Gathering In Frozen Beauty; Delicate and ghostly, and a definitive study of isolation. Any Vidna fan who hasn't heard these early classics should look these up.

I'd echo this in shimmering sorrowness. ;D the early Obmana is great stuff, with great titles.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
- Marconi Union: A Lost Connection

If you liked Distance, you will enjoy this too.

For the unknowing:
Marconi Union is an easy-listening beat driven duo from Manchester, UK. Its friendly, listenable, pleasantly rhythmic, sometimes dubby, usually with guitar, synth pads, a good dose of melody and a smattering of quirky little sounds. It's well-constructed music, and flows in a predictable and non-grating way. Shortish (5-7 minutes) tracks. I think of it as chill music that could easily have pop vocals over the top, and can be imagined behind many films. It's certainly heading towards ear-candy, but remains interesting enough for repeats. Great as non-distracting background music, despite the beats. Excellent for the car where you want something attractive, with movement, but not annoying/distracting. A tad on the pretty side for many deeper ears. Quality stuff though if this style is your cuppa tea.

http://www.marconiunion.com

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:21:26 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #668 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:52 AM »

I'd echo this in shimmering sorrowness. ;D the early Obmana is great stuff, with great titles.

Vidna's early stuff definitely had wonderful titles-  For a Belg, he seems to always have had a great grasp of English, and some of his titles are unparalleled- I really do think "Gathering in Frozen Beauty" is just a knock-out title- It's like Tennyson or something.  Musically too, his early stuff was just wonderful-  Some of the rare stuff like "Refined on Gentle Clouds" is just superb. 

Who else here has heard Vidna's collaboration with Alio Die "Echo Passage"?  My god, that is a stupendous slice of sound.  It knocks me for a six every time.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:15 AM »
mwvm - rotations - Any Stars of the Lid fans will like this record.  Just a bit darker & more dissonant than recent SOTL.  Excellent recording.

I completely love this release.  Very cold and celestial, gives me visions of being isolated on a space station (Solaris anyone?).  Highly recommended! 

Anyway, I'm streaming a live set he did, up here
http://www.pingthings.com/mwvmalmostlive.mp3

and follow the link for a remix of the album that he posted up for download
http://www.archive.org/details/silber066-mwvm-rotations-remixed

Avec, tell me more about mwvm.  I listened to the sample, and yeah, i did get quite a bit of a stars of the lid feel.  Really haunting.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 31, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »

Who else here has heard Vidna's collaboration with Alio Die "Echo Passage"?  My god, that is a stupendous slice of sound.  It knocks me for a six every time.

I agree- Echo Passage is great! Haven't heard it in a while though- should get it back out and put it in the rotation for a while.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
Igneous Flame - Hydra (complex fog banks of treated guitar.  Great stuff.  He has a nice track on the Hypnos "Sounds of a Universe Overheard" comp, too.)
David Torn - Prezens (this one went right past me.  I think prefer his spacier "Cloud About Mercury" period, but it might just be a grower)

Forrest

g.@.b.

« Reply #672 on: July 31, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »
Christopher Bissonette - In Between Words

New purchase, which I like...but...does anyone else have a disc that, on track one, has some really scratchy sounds showing up about 5 minutes into the piece (and continuing for 2-3- minutes), or do I have a defective disc?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #673 on: August 01, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

New purchase, which I like...but...does anyone else have a disc that, on track one, has some really scratchy sounds showing up about 5 minutes into the piece (and continuing for 2-3- minutes), or do I have a defective disc?

You know we've entered a new paradigm when you can't tell whether the stuff on the disk is supposed to be there or not  8)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #674 on: August 01, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »

- juxta phona & offthesky: !escape kit!  (Somnia)

Every bit as good and quirky and fascinating and enjoyable as I thought it would be.
Seriously recommend this if you are an Off The Sky fan.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Undershadow

« Reply #675 on: August 01, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

You know we've entered a new paradigm when you can't tell whether the stuff on the disk is supposed to be there or not  8)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't hear anything on "Provenance" - the track in question - that sounds 'scratchy' - a bit of interesting DSP tweakery is all I hear from 5 mins onward. Not even verging on real glitchiness.
Very good release, anyway, in keeping with Kranky's late-period minimalist microsonic drone canon (as opposed to its post-Kosmische post-Kraut wig-outs a la Atlas Sound).

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 03, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
Rod Modell-Incense and Black Light
Future Sound of London-Environments (wonderful "lost" FSOL album just reissued)
Gel-Sol-Iz (brilliant)
The Promises of Silence-various artists
Carbon Based Lifeforms-World of Sleepers (best thing Ultimae has released to date IMO)
Fanger & Kersten-Elektrik Massage
M. Griffin-Fabrications
Dead Can Dance remastered reissues (worth re-buying these classics)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
bvdub - dreams of red chambers - Thanks to Allan(Undershadow) for turning me on to bvdub in his wonderful ambient dub mix.
Segue - A Glass Darkly - new release from the netlabel Resting Bell.  Some very good stuff on that label.
goldmund - the malady of elegance - more excellent piano music from type records.

Undershadow

« Reply #678 on: August 03, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »

bvdub - dreams of red chambers - Thanks to Allan(Undershadow) for turning me on to bvdub in his wonderful ambient dub mix.

Nice one, Dave. Always happy to turn someone on to a good thing.
As an inveterate Mix-man yourself, you may be interested to know that Brock van Wey (aka bvdub) has a bunch of his own mixes up on his website here: http://www.bvdub.org/mixes.html

Useful piece on him here too: http://www.boingpoumtchak.com/2008/03/11/bvdub-quietus-recordings

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:00:16 PM by Undershadow »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:31 AM »

I agree, I love that album, and the Trilogy, and Forgotten Memories, and the Amplexus ep.... :)

and his more rhythmical outings like the Contemporary Nocturne, and Spore, And Tremor :). I think he creates in these albums as much of a magical space as in the glassy and dreamy albums, just in a different direction. And the titles are just as good.