Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 809194 times)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #700 on: August 13, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
The new Durutti Column CD "Sunlight to Blue...Blue to Blackness" is really lovely. Predominantly featuring his sunny-yet-mournful acoustic guitar and piano pieces it also sports a splendidly updated version of LC's "Never Known". Essential for fans.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #701 on: August 13, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
The last few weeks I have mostly been listening to field recordings I made in Indonesia back in the 1990s. I'm transferring all my DAT tapes to my computer, after which I will burn them to CD for archiving and listening. Currently I'm listening to a recording I made in Java of Gamelan Sekatan from the Kraton Solo (central Java royal court) from 1994.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #702 on: August 14, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
past couple of days

- Jason Corder & Beta Two Agonist: further to find closer
- Beta Two Agonist: autumn perdue
- Sgnl_Fltr: exhalo

Databloem recent releases that I've only just started listening to.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #703 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Daylight Dies - Lost to the Living (great doom band from North Carolina, was a pleasure to play with them last year!)
Opeth - Watershed (I bought the special edition with bonus DVD w/5.1 recording of whole CD as well as bonus tracks, videos, etc...plus I love em, go see them if they come to your area!)
Void of Silence - Criteria ov 666 (another awesome doom band, especially  Human Antithesis with singer from Primordial)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 14, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »
past couple of days

- Jason Corder & Beta Two Agonist: further to find closer
- Beta Two Agonist: autumn perdue
- Sgnl_Fltr: exhalo

Anthony-

Quite a coincidence- I downloaded Autumn Perdue and Cymphonic-Strataradialis from i-tunes today, and listened to about half of each tonight. Both are excellent so far.

Zyp

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Currently playing:  Between Interval - "Autumn Continent"

Definitely my favourite Between Interval album,  highlight for me is the brooding fourth track "the tides of time" with the gentle sequence accompanied by the haunting melody over the top. 

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #706 on: August 16, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
I can't get enough of Alio Die right now.  Apsaras....who here has heard this album?  It combines Alio's drones and Emelia's Cunia's stunningly pure and steady voice.  It's simply ravishing.  Please, go and hear it, if you want to be blown away by beauty.

Also, Ellusian Lullaby and Meyjiu are stunning albums.  He occupies a place all by himself in my estimation-  He taps directly into my dreams. :)

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 16, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »
I have all Alio Die albums. He is the Master (forget about his analogue-sounding stuff, though!)

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »
This is my first post and hopefully not my last.  For the most part this is my favorite category in the forum simply because I have been introduced to a variety of new music. I also hope to contribute the little that I have :)

Today I have been listening to a 3" by
Migrations In Rust - An Emblematic Departure - Accretion Disk
(This is for all those that enjoy Chalk, Bradley, and the Drone.  I could see this being released on Waterscape or Twenty Hertz.  He has a new split release on Peasant Magick which is well worth checking out)

Darwin's Bitch - Induction E.P - Aphonia Recordings
(Download E.P. that took me in for a surprise! It's bleak and definitely has some Machinfabriek elements going on.  Highly recommended for anyone that enjoys Type records!  Here's the link http://www.aphoniarecordings.com/store/index.php)

Fern

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #709 on: August 17, 2008, 06:03:43 AM »
Fern: always good to hear a new voice. Welcome aboard !
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #710 on: August 17, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »
Welcome, Fergerms, hope to see you around!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
Thanks mgriffin and APK for the warm welcome!  On a beautiful Sunday afternoon I have been enjoying the sounds of:

Procer Veneficus - Deathwanderings - Students of Decay
(It's hard to describe this piece of music.  The first thing that came to mind was to imagine Erik Satie getting the William Basinski tape treatments. Although the artist says that the work is dedicated to the memory of Chopin I can't help but to continue thinking of Erik Satie. Secondly it also sounds like The Caretaker - Selected Memories From The Haunted Ballroom......but Procer Veneficus is not as eerie.  He also just released a new work on Stellar Auditorium "Saltwater And Glassroom" from the samples that I heard it seems more ambient than uncanny orchestral dirges.) 

Fern

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #712 on: August 18, 2008, 04:53:14 AM »
Boris & Merzbow - Feedbacker | Vinyl
gotta love Rock Dream, especially for Feedbacker

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #713 on: August 18, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »
FLashback day:

The Lucy Show, UNDONE - a real gem from 1985, too bad these guys never got huge.
The Grapes of Wrath, TREEHOUSE - another 80's gem, one of the best live bands I've ever witnessed, just a killer show.  Their records are cool, but don't do them justice.  RIP.
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, RATTLESNAKES - ah, college... this is one of the best albums to come out of the 80's; it still holds up beautifully.  HIGHLY recommended.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #714 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:11 AM »
Nice flashback - I've got vinyl from the Lucy Show and Grapes of Wrath.. :)

np:   Em:t 0004 - this is a various artists from the 'rebirth' of em:t a few years back.   Really a nice comp.

was:  Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Zyp

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
FLashback day:

The Lucy Show, UNDONE - a real gem from 1985, too bad these guys never got huge.

The Lucy Show - Wow!  There's a much missed blast from the past.  I remember discovering them by accident in a local record store.  This absolutely awesome track was playing and I had no idea what it was or who it was by.  I enquired and it turned out to be The Lucy Show's "Leonardo DaVinci" (extended version on the Ephemeral 12").   That was enough to get me hooked.  Undone was a brilliant album, it's a pity the band didn't get the recognition that their talent deserved.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #716 on: August 20, 2008, 01:14:10 PM »

np:   kraftwerk - the mix

was:   human mesh dance - thesecretnumbertwelve
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 20, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
Besides the new Jason Sloan, I've been listening to:

Altus - Macro (very nice and varied collection of short ambient and quasi-orchestra pieces; reminded me in places of K. Leimer and Bill Nelson's short ambient instrumentals)
Pacific UV - Longplayer 2 (postrock in a Sigur Ros meets Slowdive vein)
VA- Great Axescapes -I've been listening to Pts. 2 and 5 of Alan's mixological drone opus.

Forrest

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2008, 12:32:08 AM »
i've been listening to Celer's new release NACREOUS CLOUDS on a/O. wow, this one is extremely nice!
it features 38 tracks clocking in with 79+ minutes! but all are so calm, serene, billowing -dare i say- mind cleansing.. :-)

and with random playing which both Celer and a/O suggest, the sound shapes every time into new directions..this one might end up -high- on my 2008 list.

others;
paul horn - tibet & inside the great pyramid
aidan baker - i fall into you (good one!)
celer - discourses of the withered & the everything and nothing (a name to watch for!)
david tagg - waist deep seas of milk (waiting for his new one on Second Sun)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:34:45 AM by jim02 »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 21, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
Forgot to mention, I agree with the other Forrest, The Lucy Show's Undone is one great album.  Never understood why it was never reissued on CD.  I saw The Grapes of Wrath open for 10,000 Maniacs in the late 80s at the iBeam in SF--a great show.  I also was fortunate to see Lloyd Cole & his band at Wolfgang's (a Bill Graham venue that is long gone) during that first Rattlesnakes tour.

Forrest