Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 821638 times)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2007, 02:28:41 PM »
Supersilent 8

Despite moments that could have been culled from a King Crimson improv session (circa 1969) the chemistry in this group can be electrifying and thus worth wading through the less inspired cuts. And it's always a treat to hear Arve Henriksen play in any context.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »
np

- Murcof: Martes  (wonderfully constructed stuff)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2007, 07:47:08 PM »
Vidna Obmana/Asmus Tietchens- Motives For Recycling; I love this, especially disc 1. A misty & faraway dreamworld.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:21 PM »
Austere - Fade/Faded w/Stephen Philips

I actually hadn't listened to this in a long while and just pulled them out, and am very much enjoying this collaboration. I love when I re-discover something in my own collection that might not have 'hit' me when I first listened to it, and realize I've found another gem in my library. I think it goes back to what someone else here in the forums said, about having enough room in your brain to enjoy all the new stuff. It probably also means I spend too much money on all this good stuff.  :)

/clicks 'Buy'
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Undershadow

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2007, 02:50:49 AM »
Quosp - Soundscapes I (U-cover cd-r series) - a set of ambient celestiality replete with enough dream device to put stars on your lid. Patches into the sub-orchestrality of Eno’s more harmonically resolved ambient pieces and draws on later rummagers through his spatial textural ambient drawers. The likes of Aphex Twin, Markus Guentner and Milieu spring to mind on various tracks, while others reside at the edges of Another Green World. Recommended.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Manitou All Points North
19 ambient "miniatures" most in the 2 to 3 minute range...this is the best thing I've heard on SLO.BOR. Don't know if it has wide appeal since the tracks are almost over before they begin, but the music is delightfully evocative, mixing drones with tones, melodic elements, and melancholic textures. How can you NOT love a CD with track titles like:

"Dirty Streets of Winter"
"Snowy Night Riding the Peoplemover"
"Remembering the Afternoon Downtown"
and
"Listening to Classical Music, Sipping Tea on the Veranda...Time Stood Still"

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2007, 06:04:19 PM »
Most recent

- Paul Bradley: Anamnesis  (not heard anything by him yet that I don't like)
- Carbon Based Lifeforms: Hydroponic Garden  (great acid beats and atmospheres)
- Atomine Electrine: Nebulous  (An Alan L. suggestion. Follows nicely on from CBL. Abstract and gritty sounds draped over heavily treated rhythms. Interesting stuff.)

And to pick up on Bill's post. I also admired the Manitou release. Was a refreshing little album.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:06:07 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »
Moved on to

- Jeff Greinke's very fine Soundtracks album. Relaxed & introspective.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2007, 07:53:30 PM »
Burial - Untrue. The kids call it 'dubstep'; whatever it is, it's great electronic music. Maybe to beat-based for some here, but a great new electronic album. I can't stop listening to this album lately.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
The Circular Ruins - Falling Into The Sky

In case some of those reading don't know (as there are some new people around here lately), The Circular Ruins is this Forum's own APK.  Just received this (along with the new Winterhouse release, also on APK's new Blue Oasis label).  The presentation of both CDs is top-notch, and I'm really enjoying these sounds.  I admit I've had a "thing" lately for brighter-sounding ambient music, with plenty of higher-frequency stuff going on and not just a bunch of deep drones... this definitely fits the bill.  It's very crisp and detailed sounding, very "present."  Still not done with my first listen yet, but I can already tell I'll recommend this one.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2007, 08:45:59 PM »
The Who - Endless Wire (a lot better than I expected it to be, maybe it helped that Townshend overdubbed a lot of the instruments himself).

Reformed Faction of Soviet France (initially liked this, but it doesn't seem to stick with me.  The pieces meander a little too much for my taste.)

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00:04 AM »
Bob and Tom show on the drive in - they played the hilarious Paul Thorn song about it being a 'great day for me to whoop somebody's ass'.   

np:

Maurizio - CD I'm still in my basic channel / chain reaction mood.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
The Circular Ruins - Falling Into The Sky

In case some of those reading don't know (as there are some new people around here lately), The Circular Ruins is this Forum's own APK.  Just received this (along with the new Winterhouse release, also on APK's new Blue Oasis label).  The presentation of both CDs is top-notch, and I'm really enjoying these sounds.  I admit I've had a "thing" lately for brighter-sounding ambient music, with plenty of higher-frequency stuff going on and not just a bunch of deep drones... this definitely fits the bill.  It's very crisp and detailed sounding, very "present."  Still not done with my first listen yet, but I can already tell I'll recommend this one.

Many thanks for the comments, Mike.
Great to hear that you appreciate "Falling...".

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »
One concern, though, APK... with that design template, what are you going to do if you ever have to release a CD with more than 10 tracks?  There won't be room to list the titles on the back flap!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
:)
I will either restrict albums to no more than 10 tracks (which sounds fair),
or use my secret weapon ... the dreaded smaller font, and have 3 columns
of 5 tracks. 

Actually my Lammergeyer: Borowed Time album had 18 tracks ...
and they fit ... just.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
I can see the label submissions requirements list now...

a)   You must enjoy the color blue, if not, go away
b)   Thou shalt not have more or less than ten tracks
c)   Nine shalt not be the number
d)   Nor shalt thou write eleven
e)   and twelve is right out

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
 ;D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »

Canon Blue - Halcyon EP - Great little four song ep.  I really like the earlier Canon Blue release "Colonies" and this ep continues their run of excellent music.  It's part pop, part folk, some electronics(in the album rather than the ep), just a great combination.  One of the best features of this ep is it's FREE!  Here's the link to the Myspace page for downloading the ep...http://myspace.com/canonblue

This is the letter comes with the ep..."The story goes that in the old days, during the winter solstice, all the oceans in the world would lay calm and the bad weather would subside. It was then that the kingfisher bird would fly out into the open sea to build its nest and lay its eggs, believing they would hatch in time before the waves began to rise again.  This time came to be known as the halcyon days.

The Halcyon EP was recorded in my bedroom during the month of November, 2007. Winter always seems to be a more creative time for me, and the sudden cold and slower pace that was settling in over Nashville provided a welcome excuse to stay inside and work. A few friends came by as well, each with their own special sounds from cellos to horns to live drums, adding new colors to the mix.

This EP, for me, is a way to reflect on yet another year quietly slipping by,  enjoying the present stillness of a tennessee winter, and looking forward to what is coming up over those yon there hills. I hope you are to able find something in it too.  thanks for listening...

- daniel james (sunday december 9th, 2007)

Give yourself a Christams present and download it now.

forestmage

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »

perfect for the weather at the moment.

kawera

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2007, 05:45:19 AM »
Loscil - Submers -- Always loved this one a tad more than his other albums. Don't really know why, something just clicks.

Dub Trees - Nature never did betray the heart that loved her --  The absolute best psychedelic chill-out album. Phenomenal!